Page 11 of 79 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    While no Seba may have had some impact, I think the Raptors run took some of the casual support away. The Wolfpack too took some of the fringe away as well
    My friends and i had this discussion several times this past season.
    Seba was the star of the team, and he made several plays per game to justify it.
    Stadium lacked buzz this year many nights.
    Thrre was a time when Seba would line up for a free kick and you'd anticipate something exciting. No player this year provided that.
    I don't mean that as a knock against the team, we made the final after all. Just seemed to lack a superstar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The glitz and glamour of a "new" soccer team is long gone.
    The team has given fans a championship run, and won. Been there done that.
    Big names gone, or those that remain we've watched for years.
    Had there been a home conference finals or MLS cup - stadium would have been near/at capacity.
    2019 team was just not that good exciting or dependable, the entertainment value not the same as in the past. No expectation of seeing a win. If they did "hmm, imagine that". If they lost, there was a lot to point fingers at.

Desire, expectation, and novelty entirely different now than in years past. Winning a championship never gets old - but maybe a first round playoff game doesn't hold the same value as it once did. Just my thoughts on the situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Signing Agudelo makes me think Bradley will be signed to a DP contract for 2020 at least. I can't see them signing a DP striker and Agudelo. Unless the DP signing will be for a winger.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agudelo isn't signed - he's being negotiated with. He can walk away if he doesn't get what he likes. Its an option for both parties.

I'd rate him better then Mullens but prone to take long stretches of seasons off.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The more I think about this, the more I don’t get it. Agudelo as a winger hasn't worked well.

I would be surprised if Agudelo were happy being a sub, and I would be surprised if Vanney would play a two striker system.

Is Jozy possibly leaving?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Signing Agudelo makes me think Bradley will be signed to a DP contract for 2020 at least. I can't see them signing a DP striker and Agudelo. Unless the DP signing will be for a winger.
    Bradley is not going to hamstring the club by signing a DP deal. He has already made $50m and will have a job for life once he retires. Agudelo is bench depth like DeLeon was. The DP will be an attacker to play for Jozy when hurt or with Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The dp will be a versatile attacker who can play wing or striker. Apparently vanney doesn't want Mario hes a bad fit. Juan could be a good backup 9 for when Jozy misses half the season and can play a bit with him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like they'll go for a DP pure winger with Agudelo being the backup #9

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless we get him very cheap I don't think this makes sense either. Is he that much of an upgrade over Mullins? Mullins scored 2 goals in 8 games. Juan scored 3 goals in 28 games. Even if they see Agudelo with more potential, Mullins is likely cheaper. So if this is for then 300 k I won't like it very much.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

Is Jozy possibly leaving?
    More likely, Vanney expects Jozy to miss half his games so Agudelo would play the other half.

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    Unless we get him very cheap I don't think this makes sense either. Is he that much of an upgrade over Mullins? Mullins scored 2 goals in 8 games. Juan scored 3 goals in 28 games. Even if they see Agudelo with more potential, Mullins is likely cheaper. So if this is for then 300 k I won't like it very much.
    A key point being missed in these stats is that Agudelo was being played out of position. I suspect that they think playing him up front he would be more productive.

Anyway, picking him just gives TFC the right to negotiate. Agudelo can always go somewhere out of MLS.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    More likely, Vanney expects Jozy to miss half his games so Agudelo would play the other half.
    But why would anyone think that this is a remotely interesting idea to Agudelo?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good question. I guess we'll see if it is. I don't really see either of the alternatives (Jozy leaving, Agudelo on the wing) as that likely. Of course I could be wrong.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 12-04-2019 at 09:46 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The other weird thing is that Agudelo is kind of a playmaking CF, much more of a false 9 than a pure CF like Jozy... but that doesn’t really work with both Jozy and Pozo.

This is a head scratcher. Agudelo is no Mullins or Boyd, in his own mind or anybody else’s.

Makes me think other things are potentially going on, and this is just insurance, Manning/Curtis don’t want want to be standing on a street corner with their dick in their hands, like they were last Jan 31.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-04-2019 at 09:54 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He would have a chance to get in at foward and either wing here, starting or off the bench. If he performed well he could probably get DeLeon type minutes. Can't see him being guaranteed much better than that anywhere else.

DeLeon last year was also not met with great fanfare and it didn't seem like he had a spot without moving Oso or Delgado but look how that went. If Agudelo buys in and settles for a rotation role and less money then I have faith that Vanney and company have an idea of how they would use him.
    Last edited by Ultra & Proud; 12-04-2019 at 09:57 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    He would have a chance to get in at foward and either wing here, starting or off the bench. If he performed well he could probably get DeLeon type minutes. Can't see him being guaranteed much better than that anywhere else.
    He is a starting CF for at least 10 MLS teams.

He can probably get 2000 minutes in Miami, just as an example.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He is a starting CF for at least 10 MLS teams.

He can probably get 2000 minutes in Miami, just as an example.
    Not at Miami, they already have a TAM player of similar profile (Carranza) and will probably add a DP at CF too.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The DP signing will be a winger.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Not at Miami, they already have a TAM player of similar profile (Carranza) and will probably add a DP at CF too.
    If you say so. Carranza is 19, doesn’t have a big first team resume, hard to know what they are getting there. Plus most teams play two strikers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The other weird thing is that Agudelo is kind of a playmaking CF, much more of a false 9 than a pure CF like Jozy... but that doesn’t really work with both Jozy and Pozo.
    I thought we played some of our best football last year without Altidore and with Pozo up top.

What that vision needed to be more successful was wingers who can frequently put the ball in the net. We need someone who can offer 10 goals a year or at least a real serious second threat when Altidore is not playing.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 12-04-2019 at 11:02 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they picked up Agudelo because he has a high ceiling, much higher than Mullins, but is essentially on his last chance at this point. He's never put it all together consistently across his career. They're thinking he's worth a shot to see if they can get him closer to that ceiling, even if the fit isn't perfect. He'll get minutes of course as we know Jozy will have time off. And as others have said, picking him only gives us the opportunity to make him an offer. Who knows if he likes what he sees. But his options are constricting on him.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I think they picked up Agudelo because he has a high ceiling, much higher than Mullins, but is essentially on his last chance at this point. He's never put it all together consistently across his career. They're thinking he's worth a shot to see if they can get him closer to that ceiling, even if the fit isn't perfect. He'll get minutes of course as we know Jozy will have time off. And as others have said, picking him only gives us the opportunity to make him an offer. Who knows if he likes what he sees. But his options are constricting on him.
    Exactly. Second round of re-entry draft really means "it's your last chance," at least as far as MLS is concerned. After that you are going elsewhere: USL, Norway third division, or out of football altogether.

Just the fact that 21 teams simply passed on the second round before TFC made their pick says volumes. He may have had a better resume at one point but at this point he's not there. He won't go for what he was earning. Could be a savvy pick or could be a flop. Low risk, higher potential if it works. He may simply refuse to sign and that will be it. Or he could sign, apply himself, and maybe become a useful part of the squad.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 12-04-2019 at 11:27 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I fail to see this connection at all. Just to reiterate its been said openly and behind closed doors that Bradley wants to stick around even at a pay cut. He'd rather see this team do well and thst means his DP slot being used elsewhere. Agudelo likely depth if anything

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^Disagree. Agudelo's situation is about salary, not role.

He is still only 27, a good player, a starter for many teams, but not at his current number.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He is still only 27, a good player, a starter for many teams, but not at his current number.
    He wasn't a starter for New England last year. Wonder why?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then why did so many (21) teams pass on him in the re-entry? They could try to sign him to anything they like. No cost to them, not even opportunity cost if he turns them down. He was likely seen as an up-and-comer but at some point something changed.

The answer to that is probably why most teams won't give him a sniff. Why leave someone so expensive on the bench? If he's good, and in-demand, why not try to trade him instead of just letting his contract expire?
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 12-04-2019 at 01:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then why did so many (21) teams pass on him in the re-entry? They could try to sign him to anything they like. No cost to them, not even opportunity cost if he turns them down. He was likely seen as an up-and-comer but at some point something changed.
    It’s tough to make your keep as a domestic striker in this league. There is very little room for someone to be developed. It’s a “results now” type of position.

I don’t entirely get this move or why all those teams passed but I can understand why there might be a talented domestic player out there who hasn’t quite put it all together yet (at least in theory).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The answer to that is probably why most teams won't give him a sniff. Why leave someone so expensive on the bench? If he's good, and in-demand, why not try to trade him instead of just letting his contract expire?
    Most of his years with NE were quite good. Average 8 or 9 goals a season most years. Last year was an outlier. Played in less than half the games and only two goals. NE isn't exactly the most stable place to play. Arena came in midway last year. Apparently he was converted to a midfielder. I don't know the whole story.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of his years with NE were quite good. Average 8 or 9 goals a season most years. Last year was an outlier. Played in less than half the games and only two goals. NE isn't exactly the most stable place to play. Arena came in midway last year. Apparently he was converted to a midfielder. I don't know the whole story.
    Players end up redundant for all kinds of reasons, change of coach and strategy is one of them. That still doesn't explain why NE didn't try to trade his MLS rights (he's not a free agent) and why 21 teams passed on him. It tells me there's something we don't know.

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is worth noting that 7 teams passed on Marky Delgado during the Chivas USA dispersal draft in 2014. 6 other players taken before Marky. Then we grabbed him.
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like we as outsiders THINK that the brain’s trusts of most MLS teams know what they are doing.
    TFC not so much because we only did the treble and reached how many Cup Finals.
    i know who I will appreciate.