Page 51 of 79 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,530 of 2348
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canuckistan View Post
    Don't take any stock in this whatsoever, but a friend through a friend in England is saying Giroud is in play here....I personally doubt it as I think he goes to Inter Milan...but he's been blowing up my phone for the past hour...damn trolls...lol
    If by here they mean MLS in general and Chicago then maybe. Definitely not Toronto (I hope).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giroud makes sense if they actually had intentions of moving Altidore. Not so much as that third DP however.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Giroud makes sense if they actually had intentions of moving Altidore. Not so much as that third DP however.
    Replacing Altidore would literally restore my entire confidence in this club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Not a fan? I love Altidore when he plays, which is not enough for a DP spot at this point, unfortunately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are lots of us who feel the opposite. Tough job, management.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Confidence in my club is always an unexpected bonus.", says 80% of football supporters in the world.

The other 20% are either lying or family of current team management.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    "Confidence in my club is always an unexpected bonus.", says 80% of football supporters in the world.

The other 20% are either lying or family of current team management.
    Og where have you been, lol
    I do agree⚽️⚽️👍👍

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we recently resigned Altidore - i don't get where this idea that the club is trying to offload him comes from.

also we made the final last season with a depleted and injured roaster and have made the final 3 times out of the past 4 seasons

as much as i'd love a big DP signing sooner rather than later, i'm willing to give the FO the benefit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Not a fan? I love Altidore when he plays, which is not enough for a DP spot at this point, unfortunately.
    Exactly how I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    There are lots of us who feel the opposite. Tough job, management.
    I get the sentimentality, but he does not play literally 50% of the time. It's objectively absurd. He's my favourite player at this club, and I know reading my posts that's hard to believe, but having a DP that does not play and is expected to be the critical point of attack is the most glaring issue this club has. I'd be more okay with Bradley being a DP than Jozy to be honest.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giroud makes no sense. Old, slow (although he would be nasty in the box). But let’s stay younger and faster for Poz to breakout. Still want Bruma.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    Giroud makes no sense. Old, slow (although he would be nasty in the box). But let’s stay younger and faster for Poz to breakout. Still want Bruma.
    Bruma would be awesome but I don't see it happening with PSV possibly selling bergwijn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bruma would be the better choice no doubt.

We can't ignore how well the other teams have added and improved their squads...some have done extremely well and still some are continuing to add.

My concern is that we could end up starting very slow and behind the 8 ball early...then the talk of rebuild comes in later...I want to be wrong on this..but this stinks of building from the academy and moving in a different direction. We are not an MLS Cup team right now with the improvements the other teams have made while we have lost players....maybe some of you see this...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bruma would be the better choice no doubt.

We can't ignore how well the other teams have added and improved their squads...some have done extremely well and still some are continuing to add.

My concern is that we could end up starting very slow and behind the 8 ball early...then the talk of rebuild comes in later...I want to be wrong on this..but this stinks of building from the academy and moving in a different direction. We are not an MLS Cup team right now with the improvements the other teams have made while we have lost players....maybe some of you see this...
    Yeah, agreed. I feel like we've really fallen behind this off season. Even if the kids came good right away, we'd still be missing a proven secondary goal scorer and a proven provider from wide areas. We already have to see how Fraser and Okello do with more minutes, then also incorporate three young players who haven't been at the first team's speed yet.

It's worrisome. Another late season run to make the playoffs, if that, isn't really the ideal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys, again, you're being too impatient. We will most likely have to wait until after the European window closes until we can finalize who is still available.

Remember that we signed Vazquez on Feb 7. Like I said before, give them until Feb 14 before you start to panic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Guys, again, you're being too impatient. We will most likely have to wait until after the European window closes until we can finalize who is still available.

Remember that we signed Vazquez on Feb 7. Like I said before, give them until Feb 14 before you start to panic.
    I'd even say wait until the summer for the DP spot. Some on here would rather we sign a DP who fails now, rather than wait until the summer to get the right man for the job. With MLS season running March to Oct which is out of sync with virtually the whole rest of the world, the better options are nearly always going to become available in June rather than January. That's not to say we couldn't sign some depth in February. Keep Calm and TFC on!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s not like any of this is new. We’ve been waiting for good winger / secondary goal scoring threat since mid 2018.

Last year Curtis was new, what’s the excuse this year? I don’t think we’re asking too much. By the time we get around to taking a swing at this we’ll probably have other issues to think about and will have lost time for this player to train with the team / be on the field when we need him.

This is literally the one any only real offseason item after figuring out MB’s contract.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    It’s not like any of this is new. We’ve been waiting for good winger / secondary goal scoring threat since mid 2018.

Last year Curtis was new, what’s the excuse this year? I don’t think we’re asking too much. By the time we get around to taking a swing at this we’ll probably have other issues to think about and will have lost time for this player to train with the team / be on the field when we need him.

This is literally the one any only real offseason item after figuring out MB’s contract.
    You get the idea from some that finding a winger is something rare and difficult. FIFA in 2018 determined there are 113,000 professional footballers in the world. While that would include a few women, it's not like the pool for TFC is as rare as finding a bottle of 1811 Napoleon era Burgundy. Let's say only 8,000 of those are men who can play wing (I think it's higher, but just for the sake of argument), and only 20% of those (ie. 1600) are good enough to be a DP in MLS. Are people saying that Curtis can't find one player to fit the team who is willing to come here and their team is willing to sell/trade?
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 01-28-2020 at 09:50 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    You get the idea from some that finding a winger is something rare and difficult. FIFA in 2018 determined there are 113,000 professional footballers in the world. While that would include a few women, it's not like the pool for TFC is as rare as finding a bottle of 1811 Napoleon era Burgundy. Let's say only 8,000 of those are men who can play wing (I think it's higher, but just for the sake of argument), and only 20% of those (ie. 1600) are good enough to be a DP in MLS. Are people saying that Curtis can't find one player to fit the team who is willing to come here and their team is willing to sell/trade?
    Do you know how the next iteration of the CBA and our current roster composition affects your 1,600 shortlist? I think that's the biggest factor here that everyone is overlooking as they rake Curtis over the coals. Teams don't know what they have to work with going forward.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi10 View Post
    Do you know how the next iteration of the CBA and our current roster composition affects your 1,600 shortlist? I think that's the biggest factor here that everyone is overlooking as they rake Curtis over the coals. Teams don't know what they have to work with going forward.
    How are other MLS teams able to sign players then?
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oldtimer, I'm sorry, but this is really a poor argument. There are so many possible factors against this line of thinking:

- Vanney. You keep talking like this is all up to Curtis, but remember, Vanney has a big say in who they get (remember, if the rumours are true, Vanney vetoed Ballotelli; that's clout). If you have seen Vanney's interviews, he's talking like he has a pretty short list of guys he really wants, and so of course Curtis is going to try for those guys first, and my assumption is that those guys are all pretty good, so we won't find out if we're able to get them until on or after Jan 31.

- We've been screwed by impulse signings before. Aketxe. Boyd. Van der Weil. We absolutely must avoid another disastrous signing like that, especially with our final and very valuable DP slot.

- We have some very highly rated talent in our Academy. Jayden Nelson, especially, is being touted almost up to the level that Alphonso Davies was. If it turns out he's ready and could play that left-wing/wingback role, then that completely changes the complexion of what we need in our DP. But that also involves waiting a bit.

- It's MLS. As good as the league has become in the last few years, it's still not going to entice certain players to come.

So I really, really think you need to chill out and wait to see who we actually get before making judgements. You're really criticizing him too early.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How are other MLS teams able to sign players then?
    Multiple DP spots open and boatloads of available allocation im guessing.

Lagerway and Vanney have both directly said that not knowing if the 3rd DP spot will be business as usual or just for young players is impacting their process.

Unsettling as it may be, though, the reasons for Lagerwey’s reluctance to rush into action go beyond his normal reasons. In Lagerwey’s eyes, the ongoing negotiations over the Collective Bargaining Agreement make it almost impossible to make significant commitments.
    “If you don’t know how much money you’ll have, it’s really hard to know — not just how to fill holes — knowing what’s a good contract and a bad contract,” Lagerwey said. “It’s hard to decipher that value if you don’t know the whole picture.
    “We have to be cautious about how much we load up before we know the rules. When you’re talking about DPs, that’s a three- to five-year commitment and you don’t know the rules for the next three to five years. I know it’s not what anyone wants to hear, but it’s a wrinkle you have to think about.”
    https://www.sounderatheart.com/sound...cerns-patience

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand the CBA is affecting who can come to TFC as a 3rd DP & when.

What I regret is once again going into a season without all the pieces in place - we are close but still one undeniable fact remains

We need a better attacker to be on the field with (or without) Jozy.

To not go into the season without such a player, when management recognized this as an issue before last season's playoff run, and when such a player, if not brought in, would have to wait until more then 1/2 the season is done - this would be disappointing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Players still available. Can't believe Meram and Beitashour are on that list....hint hint wink wink

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/...020-mls-season

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

How many players do you believe can come in and instantly make an impact / fit in? Why do you think getting the right guy is going to be as simple as seeing a winger want and just being able to pluck this guy out from whatever league/team we find him in, with no fight or issue.

TFC took their time with Pozuelo and he turned out to be gold. Look how hard and convoluted it was to get him. Why would the process to get a new guy be any different?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The real dilemma here is if we can sign a prime aged player or have to sign someone who is 18 that we can sell to Europe next year so that we can help FC Dallas remain competitive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Players still available. Can't believe Meram and Beitashour are on that list....hint hint wink wink
    It might be that they are asking for more than clubs are willing to pay. There must be a reason they're still on the market.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    It might be that they are asking for more than clubs are willing to pay. There must be a reason they're still on the market.
    Or it could be that they have contracts done or in the works but the teams who are signing them don't want anything out there until the window officially opens on the 7th.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah but that was Bez. I'll be shocked if Curtis can pull a rabbit out of a hat like that. His scope seems very narrow - I wish they had taken their time in finding Bez's replacement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    Yeah but that was Bez. I'll be shocked if Curtis can pull a rabbit out of a hat like that. His scope seems very narrow - I wish they had taken their time in finding Bez's replacement.
    This is starting to stink of a tear down like what Shapiro did with the Jays....gosh I hope I'm so wrong here.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We do not know anything at this point, we have no clue if Bill, Ali and company have something actually going on or not, stoking the fire or something. Big thing that plays a part in this is we really do not have a TFC beat writer at this point in time who would be chasing the stories, happenings going on. I know we want something to happen but until it does losing any sleep over it is pointless. I am sure something will happen before the season starts, what it is I do not know so lets wait and see what happens.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!