Page 38 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 2348
  1. #1111
    RPB Member Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    17,373
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaceyWinger View Post
    If I remember correctly he has a child with Autism or some other condition which requires specialized care which they had in Montreal. Did he move his family to TO? I'm sure he could get the same care here.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomLawrence View Post
    He wants the care in French.
    Montreal is one of the leading centres in the world for autism care in French.
    "Of all the things in life that don't actually matter, football matters the most." - Stuart McKeown

    Supporting since 2007


  2. #1112
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    82
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Montreal is one of the leading centres in the world for autism care in French.
    Fair enough. Great news for him and his family then that he gets to add to the reasons to keep things stable here at TFC. I can only imagine how tough it would be to try to manage moving your family all over the place chasing football, while having a child who more than others needs stability and language specific supports.

  3. #1113
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    417
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    It has quietly been one of, if not the most significant off seasons in MLS history if you take a look around at the incoming bodies and some of the strong rumors out there (Chicharito). It has become a bit of an arms race hasn't it. Hoping TFC makes a splash with this DP slot, I am not expecting to see much other than that based on what I've read.
    Regarding the open DP slot that Toronto FC does have, I've actually now come across this article from The Athletic (not sure if it's already been posted on these boards), which I'm thinking is a potential reason why one hasn't been signed yet (not that I am saying it is the reason why).

    https://theathletic.com/1520302/2020...ayer-signings/

    In short, it basically mentions the following

    - the "product strategy committee" (as if I had even heard of this before seeing this article) is looking to change the way DP players are paid, so that either one of the DPs must be under 23 (in which case a team can spend as much as they want), or failing that, then one of the DPs cannot be paid more then $1 million/season, plus the associated budget hit, which is currently $530,000

    - discussions are at an early stage, likely won't go into into effect until 2021 at the earliest

    - if a team does have 3 DPs, and none are under 23 when changes are made, it is not clear those contracts would be grandfathered in, or have to be compliant immediately

    - the rationale is to sell more players, and the young stars are the easiest to sell

    - also potentially a reaction of what appears to be a widening between the top teams in MLS and the rest of the league, and parity is on the downswing

    - but can also be a problem competing in champions league and leagues cup

    - also brought up the example of the 2017 season of Toronto FC, perhaps the best team in MLS history. Under the proposed changes, would not be able to have Bradley, Altidore & Giovinco all on the same team

  4. #1114
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    4,721
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spe18 View Post
    Regarding the open DP slot that Toronto FC does have, I've actually now come across this article from The Athletic (not sure if it's already been posted on these boards), which I'm thinking is a potential reason why one hasn't been signed yet (not that I am saying it is the reason why).

    https://theathletic.com/1520302/2020...ayer-signings/

    In short, it basically mentions the following

    - the "product strategy committee" (as if I had even heard of this before seeing this article) is looking to change the way DP players are paid, so that either one of the DPs must be under 23 (in which case a team can spend as much as they want), or failing that, then one of the DPs cannot be paid more then $1 million/season, plus the associated budget hit, which is currently $530,000

    - discussions are at an early stage, likely won't go into into effect until 2021 at the earliest

    - if a team does have 3 DPs, and none are under 23 when changes are made, it is not clear those contracts would be grandfathered in, or have to be compliant immediately

    - the rationale is to sell more players, and the young stars are the easiest to sell

    - also potentially a reaction of what appears to be a widening between the top teams in MLS and the rest of the league, and parity is on the downswing

    - but can also be a problem competing in champions league and leagues cup

    - also brought up the example of the 2017 season of Toronto FC, perhaps the best team in MLS history. Under the proposed changes, would not be able to have Bradley, Altidore & Giovinco all on the same team
    Older DPs can only be paid a maximum of 1 million? No way they do that. Not possible. As much as it's good to go for younger DPs, they can't completely neuter the chance to bring in big name players from overseas. That would be commercial suicide.

  5. #1115
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    15,436
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    That story was a trial balloon put out by 2 ownership groups, who were both mentioned by the writer.

    Vancouver

    Dallas

    The balloon was made of lead. Almost universally panned by journos & fans. The only people who would like this are cheapskate owners and there is no way in Hades that NYC & others who want to spend money hamper themselves in this way.


    IIRC, there was talk put out by owners prior to the the last 2 CBA's about changes to the DP system - both times, nothing changed. The strategy seems to be to create friction between the DP's at the table & the non-DP's.


    *********

    We have heard consistantly from TFC that they are working to get a new DP - we heard strong rumours from decent sources that Ballotelli was under discussion (and rejected ultimately). If people think for one moment that this league is going to not let a team get Mario Ballotelli because some cheapskate owners don't want to spend money on a 3rd DP....

  6. #1116
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    3,103
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Pre-season starts on the 23rd and no 3rd DP yet.

    Nice.

  7. #1117
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    790
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Pre-season starts on the 23rd and no 3rd DP yet.

    Nice.
    Its not a big deal, look at last year with POzuelo, its worth the wait to get the right guy.

  8. #1118
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Georgetown
    Posts
    2,011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'd be shocked if we get anyone before the season.

    More likely someone comes in the summer window when more players are available.

    Technically, we still have the same 3 DPs as before who are more than capable to get the job done.
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!

  9. #1119
    RPB Member Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    17,373
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    Its not a big deal, look at last year with POzuelo, its worth the wait to get the right guy.
    Why so blasse? We don't want TFC to just sneak into the playoffs, we want a home playoff game at least and hopefully the Supporters Shield.
    "Of all the things in life that don't actually matter, football matters the most." - Stuart McKeown

    Supporting since 2007


  10. #1120
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Section 110 Row 24
    Posts
    6,782
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Why so blasse? We don't want TFC to just sneak into the playoffs, we want a home playoff game at least and hopefully the Supporters Shield.
    The team we had in the 2nd half of the season was a contender. That is not a team that sneaks into the playoffs. This additional DP takes us back into 2017 mode - a team that chases records, not other teams.
    I'm ok to wait until the summer to get an undisputed winner - someone who you know will work out.

  11. #1121
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    4,517
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm not as concerned about a DP as much as just some depth and filling spots with domestics or regular salaried players.

  12. #1122
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    11,287
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Pre-season starts on the 23rd and no 3rd DP yet.

    Nice.
    I’m with you on this.

    How much of last season was wasted not having new signings on the field and familiar with their teammates?

    Front office needs to get on with it. No excuses this year.

  13. #1123
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    82
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Voodooman View Post
    I'd be shocked if we get anyone before the season.

    More likely someone comes in the summer window when more players are available.

    Technically, we still have the same 3 DPs as before who are more than capable to get the job done.
    Wasn't Bradley's whole thing that the team should use the DP spot that he gave up to improve the team because he just wants to win? I hope if they are going to wait until Summer they are being up front with him.

  14. #1124
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northwest Territories (Section 226)
    Posts
    6,903
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    Its not a big deal, look at last year with POzuelo, its worth the wait to get the right guy.
    I like to use that as a bad example, not a good example. Pozuelo was available no problem last January, when he was talking to a Saudi club. It was big news at the time in Belgium, and TFC was supposedly already tracking Pozuelo. However TFC management still had their heads up their a$$es, telling everyone "steady as she goes" for the 2019 season, despite Giovinco trying to renegotiate & stretch his deal since the conclusion of the 2017 playoffs. We could have avoided the whole "transfer soap" business with Genk, avoided pissing them off, Pozuelo could have had a bit of a break and a pre-season with the team, as well as being available to play when CCL started.

    Plus TFC was waiting for the Pozuelo deal before making other decisions, which delayed many of the other acquisitions. Instead TFC bombed out of CCL, and started the season behind the eight ball. It worked out OK in the end, Pozuelo avoided major injury despite playing umpteen months in a row. But no need to use that season as a model for planning and player acquisition. We could have avoided some of the headache.

    TFC is too thin in the attack. At times last year Altidore was playing full games when it didn't look like he should, but TFC had no reasonable alternative. Likely one reason for his lengthy injury. This season I don't want Altidore or Vanney to feel pressure to play him more than is optimal. Mullins isn't enough of a backup, and I don't want to see Pozuelo on the wing again. Get 'er Done Curtis & Co, you're telling me there's no player available in the whole wide world of footy who could do a job in MLS? They could have already had some prospects lined up, none of this is surprising for TFC.

    My hope is that they already have targets. Remember that most of the world's transfer windows close in January. After that, teams are very reluctant to let players go, as they can't replace them, despite MLS' window being open much longer.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 01-15-2020 at 10:39 AM.

  15. #1125
    RPB Member Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    17,373
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    I'm ok to wait until the summer to get an undisputed winner - someone who you know will work out.
    You have much more confidence in Curtis than I have.
    "Of all the things in life that don't actually matter, football matters the most." - Stuart McKeown

    Supporting since 2007


  16. #1126
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    4,517
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    You have much more confidence in Curtis than I have.
    I don't think you have enough. He did reasonably well, some would say very well in his first season here. He started slow but had literally no time on the job before the pre-season began. I don't like our inactivity either but I won't worry about it until we start camp.

  17. #1127
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    790
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If it means waiting for the summer for a guy like Willian and Mertens you wait instead of signing someone from liga mx or something.

  18. #1128
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    705
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    With the Euro market open until the 31st, I wonder if they have some deals in place but are waiting on those teams to sign replacements before pulling the trigger. Ie) TFC wants player A and team X is okay with selling him and are waiting until they sign player B to replace A first. That's my overly optimistic view.

    Also, technically the US/Canada window opens February 7th, so I don't think we can officially sign anyone until that date, which would work out with my previously mentioned overly optimistic view.

  19. #1129
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Section 110 Row 24
    Posts
    6,782
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    You have much more confidence in Curtis than I have.
    What about Curtis makes you have no confidence in him?
    The guy came in just as the team needed what was essentially a rebuild - he did it in half a season and the team made it to the MLS Cup final after an impressive 2nd half of the season.

    Even if all the moves were not his and made by someone else in the club - which I'm sure Curtis haters believe - whomever did build that squad is still with the team and probably still pulling those strings.

    So what about this team or the moves they made last season makes you believe they can't get the job done?

  20. #1130
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    beautiful downtown bolton
    Posts
    3,227
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    the press that covers the team are sleeping like always,who is our insider?

  21. #1131
    RPB Member Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    17,373
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    What about Curtis makes you have no confidence in him?
    The guy came in just as the team needed what was essentially a rebuild - he did it in half a season and the team made it to the MLS Cup final after an impressive 2nd half of the season.

    Even if all the moves were not his and made by someone else in the club - which I'm sure Curtis haters believe - whomever did build that squad is still with the team and probably still pulling those strings.

    So what about this team or the moves they made last season makes you believe they can't get the job done?
    It's not that there's solid evidence that he can't do the job, it's just that there isn't solid evidence that he can.

    I'm not ready to just sit back and say "In Curtis I trust" and not be concerned that we haven't signed anyone, despite it being obvious months before season's end that Bradley was going to give TFC a discount (unless we won the MLS Cup).
    "Of all the things in life that don't actually matter, football matters the most." - Stuart McKeown

    Supporting since 2007


  22. #1132
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    4,517
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    It's not that there's solid evidence that he can't do the job, it's just that there isn't solid evidence that he can.
    He came in on short notice to a team that stunk up the league in 2018, made some changes (admittedly late changes), but he made us a top 5 team in the league by seasons end and we got to the final.

    I am not sure exactly what can be considered as evidence that he can do the job if all the moves he made in his first season are apparently a wash.

  23. #1133
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    15,436
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    the press that covers the team are sleeping like always,who is our insider?
    Davidson had an interview with Curtis about a week ago indicating they were working on things.


    ******

    Giovinco was officially signed on the 19th, BTW.

  24. #1134
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    4,517
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Davidson had an interview with Curtis about a week ago indicating they were working on things.
    Our FO is remarkably quiet these days. No leaks at all.

  25. #1135
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    West End
    Posts
    3,804
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    With the Euro market open until the 31st, I wonder if they have some deals in place but are waiting on those teams to sign replacements before pulling the trigger. Ie) TFC wants player A and team X is okay with selling him and are waiting until they sign player B to replace A first. That's my overly optimistic view.

    Also, technically the US/Canada window opens February 7th, so I don't think we can officially sign anyone until that date, which would work out with my previously mentioned overly optimistic view.
    This comes up every window. The window specifically pertains to the transfer of player registrations. A deal can be done and announced at any time. The players registration can only move between clubs and federations when the buying clubs window is open. So TFC can conclude a deal and announce it today. Their player registration wouldnt move until Feb 7th.

  26. #1136
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,678
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm sure they could also train before that date as well.

  27. #1137
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    West End
    Posts
    3,804
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yes, they just cant play in official competitions until the registration has been transferred.

  28. #1138
    RPB Member Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    17,373
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    He came in on short notice to a team that stunk up the league in 2018, made some changes (admittedly late changes), but he made us a top 5 team in the league by seasons end and we got to the final.

    I am not sure exactly what can be considered as evidence that he can do the job if all the moves he made in his first season are apparently a wash.
    He messed up the Pozuelo file majorly. It looked like Manning had to be involved to straighten it out. He was coming in mid-situation so he deserves a conditional pass, but he needs to prove himself this year.

    We don't really know what happened at RBNY, so we can't judge what happened THERE, even if it doesn't look good.

    So I think he has no real track record and needs to prove that he can be a GM for an ambitious team like TFC.

  29. #1139
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    What about Curtis makes you have no confidence in him?
    The guy came in just as the team needed what was essentially a rebuild - he did it in half a season and the team made it to the MLS Cup final after an impressive 2nd half of the season.

    Even if all the moves were not his and made by someone else in the club - which I'm sure Curtis haters believe - whomever did build that squad is still with the team and probably still pulling those strings.

    So what about this team or the moves they made last season makes you believe they can't get the job done?
    Totally agree, but I suspect you are wasting your time debating that here. For some reason, there are some - not all, but some - posters here who just use everything to throw dirt at the FO. Curtis is blamed for everything he does for some reason as if he's a complete idiot, when his track record seems to suggest he has at least some idea about what he's doing.

  30. #1140
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,668
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    You have much more confidence in Curtis than I have.
    My worry is the gap between public statements and actual action. Curtis and Manning created and encouraged expectations of a major scoring DP. I think they will deliver, late like Bradelys contract and Poz, but the uncertainty is worrying. It does raise the possibility that they are not going to succeed.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •