Page 59 of 79 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,770 of 2348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canuckistan View Post
    What about Zelarayan from Tigres? I liked that signing a lot. Wormgoor too.
    You're right about Columbus. I think they've done real well and Porter's second year likely bump has them favored in the east in my book. but that's it. The only team in the east that looks better. Chicago got a DP alright but gave up 2 or 3 and Dax. Currently they have like 17 guys on the roster 2 bulldogs and a Pitbull and I don't mean character-wise. I mean the last three are like real dogs

I hope the front office makes a good move in good time. I like our team this year. Canadian homegrown roster spots got younger with more upside. They've all had a real off-season. Good to go
    Last edited by djking2; 02-04-2020 at 07:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need roller skaters for this one by tomorrow AM!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like it will be all wrapped up by Thursday if Piatti passes his physical.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t agree that Columbus is obviously better. That team had an incredible sense of identity under Berhalter. Now they seem like a bunch of disparate pieces thrown together, very Orlando or Chicago. I hate the Adi signing.

If Bez wasn’t doing it I'd declare it a foregone conclusion that it'll be a dumpster fire. But I respect Bez, so I am agnostic. We will see.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I don’t agree that Columbus is obviously better. That team had an incredible sense of identity under Berhalter. Now they seem like a bunch of disparate pieces thrown together, very Orlando or Chicago. I hate the Adi signing.

If Bez wasn’t doing it I'd declare it a foregone conclusion that it'll be a dumpster fire. But I respect Bez, so I am agnostic. We will see.
    I agree. I don't think they've assembled a team but rather a collection of players who may or may not function within the oddities of Porterball.

I think DC has improved but I can't take them seriously with Olsen at the helm. NYCFC has the best team on paper but I have to see how they transition to the new (questionable) manager. The majority of the east teams are either worse (Atlanta, Fire) or improved but still irrelevant (Orlando, Cinci). The rest including us are basically the same pending new signings after our window actually opens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I agree. I don't think they've assembled a team but rather a collection of players who may or may not function within the oddities of Porterball.

I think DC has improved but I can't take them seriously with Olsen at the helm. NYCFC has the best team on paper but I have to see how they transition to the new (questionable) manager. The majority of the east teams are either worse (Atlanta, Fire) or improved but still irrelevant (Orlando, Cinci). The rest including us are basically the same pending new signings after our window actually opens.
    With Piatti TFC should be improved. No Gold Cup plus another year of chemistry which is underrated should really help the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    I actually really like Piatti as a signing in that right scenario but context is important.
    This is true, but what youre willing to accept is too high for me. Reality is, if he signs it'll be a 3yr contract. So with that....

If he's our third "best" player and he's on on a DP deal, I'm concerned for the mere fact of his age, and the fact that we could probably get better and younger. It's TAM or bust for me.

The league is going to where DP spot should be used for the players you have to pay a transfer fee for and potentially transfer them out. Orrrr they're just a complete game changer - regardless of age.

Pablo Piatti ain't it for me, but I understand the hype - we have no other names to talk about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shway View Post
    This is true, but what youre willing to accept is too high for me. Reality is, if he signs it'll be a 3yr contract. So with that....

If he's our third "best" player and he's on on a DP deal, I'm concerned for the mere fact of his age, and the fact that we could probably get better and younger. It's TAM or bust for me.

The league is going to where DP spot should be used for the players you have to pay a transfer fee for and potentially transfer them out. Orrrr they're just a complete game changer - regardless of age.

Pablo Piatti ain't it for me, but I understand the hype - we have no other names to talk about.
    Maybe you sign him as a dp for year 1 then he drops down to tam for year 2 and 3.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    I assume he means 'we' as in us posters but the FO probably do - so we shouldn't sweat it - which i concur with.
    Exactly who I meant hahaha I expect the FO have some idea, they just won't let on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    If Piatti is signed at TAM level, could Bradley be classified as a DP for the first half of the season and then re-assigned as TAM for the second half? At that point TFC could bring in a DP for the second half of the season. Would we have enough TAM for this?

No. And no. Also, no

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GerMc View Post
    It might be worth it just for the headline, "Piatti scores hat trick to beat Montreal."
    Lovely. In fact "Piatti scores: Reds defeat limp-act again" would do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Davidson's article https://www.richmond-news.com/source...-dp-1.24068440

TFC has been pretty tight lipped about things until now - I get the feeling this source feed to Davison is to put a damper on expectations just in case the next few days don't work out.
    Not Seba, and lets hope he can overcome his injury history. A definite question mark, unlike Deofe, Seba and Bradley and Jozy when they joined as DP's. But before his injury we would have been lucky to have him. An effective left winger for a mid table Spanish team? Holy quality batman. A bit like VV in that respect. Who worked out
    Last edited by MightyDM; 02-05-2020 at 12:55 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    I actually really like Piatti as a signing in that right scenario but context is important.

If he's our third best player and he's on a D.P deal, I like it.
    If he's our 4th best player and he's on a TAM deal, I am ecstatic beyond belief.
    If he's our 1st or 2nd best player, i'm not as thrilled, because we still need a game changer like a prime Giovinco or Carlos Vela type.

Maybe they build around Pozuelo, Piatti and a prime Giovinco/Vela level DP. If they sell Altidore and use that money on someone worth it, that would make this signing really great.

So i can't really judge this signing without knowing the big picture
    I think you have the big picture. We bring him in. Thats it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Piatti is the same as all the other signings in the east. Who knows?

I don’t love the idea of buying guys from teams in the relegation zone in big euro leagues. (That was the story for Laurent Robert, for those with long memories.). Those are bad, depressing situations and I fear players like that are in the wrong headspace.

But nobody knows. Except Manning I hope.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t love the idea of buying guys from teams in the relegation zone in big euro leagues. (That was the story for Laurent Robert, for those with long memories.). Those are bad, depressing situations and I fear players like that are in the wrong headspace.

Personally I would think that would mean the players are even more excited to be here, because they're leaving a bad situation and coming to a good one.

It was obvious how happy Benezet was to be here, and the fact that he would go to Colorado shows he'd do anything not to go back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Personally I would think that would mean the players are even more excited to be here, because they're leaving a bad situation and coming to a good one.

It was obvious how happy Benezet was to be here, and the fact that he would go to Colorado shows he'd do anything not to go back.
    That's a fair point. I wouldn't have any issue buying players from relegated teams or those fighting it. 2 of Liverpool's current starting 11 came from relegated teams in Wijnaldum and Robertson. It's like any transfer, it will have risks, to go back to the Liverpool example they've also bought Danny Ings and Shaqiri from relegated teams in recent seasons, they obviously haven't been as successful at the other 2. It's more about how the player fits the philosophy of the team coupled with his attitude and probably most importantly his fitness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pablo's goal against Barca in 2014.

8:20 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAfoRxZyeAs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post

For being so small he's really good with his head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good point. Quite different from Seba, or VV. One thing -Espanyol weren't in the relegation zone when he was playing last year. maybe his absence has been meaningful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Leaps like a salmon from a summer stream". Why do we never get commentary like that from Caldwell?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

go to admire his bravery there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rare sighting: a critical article on a potential signing

https://torontosun.com/sports/soccer...mpression=true

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

Holy shit this goes hard.

Hats off to Buffery.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With Piatti's history he would make more sense as a TAM or else a loan with option to buy.

He looks good overall but his health is questionable after the ligament layoff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Holy shit this goes hard.

Hats off to Buffery.
    Agreed, even if you don’t like the take it’s a rare day where someone fires a shot across the bow like that.

I’m no medical expert and VV certainly worked out well. Not sure what to think. At face value, he looks not-so-durable.

Is this the right person to put behind our more-than-occasionally unavailable striker?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

Buffery FINALLY takes up the Larson role of sceptic. Do appreciate the Mariner scouting report - not too many journos do that level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i hope im wrong.but it seems a underwhelming got to get a guy in camp settle signing.not a backup for jozy when he gets injured,not a real goal scorer that the FO said they were looking for and wont sell a ticket,i hope he is tam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    With Piatti's history he would make more sense as a TAM or else a loan with option to buy.

He looks good overall but his health is questionable after the ligament layoff.
    With his injury history and lack of production over the last three years, this appears to be the least impressive DP signing we've made since pre-2014.

I want to believe if we go through with this, there is a way to make him a TAM player after the new CBA is announced. Maybe make a big signing in the summer?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny to see some of his teammates kneeling to give him a hug after the goal.

It's nice to have some rumours at least. But as others have mentioned, given size, age, injuries, and playing history over the last couple of years, really seems more like a TAM signing than the DP we were hoping for, but the TAM numbers may not work for Pablo or TFC (considering what they've already committed). Everyone also has to consider that MLS is a league with lots of crappy weather at both extremes, crazy long travel (regardless of coach or charter), plus plenty of pitches that are plastic or chewed up by other activities. Not the best environment for a 31-year-old who's trying to get past some recent injuries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With his injury history and lack of production over the last three years, this appears to be the least impressive DP signing we've made since pre-2014.

I want to believe if we go through with this, there is a way to make him a TAM player after the new CBA is announced. Maybe make a big signing in the summer?
    Piatti only has 6 months left on his deal. I wonder if they just take him as is and re-evaluate in the summer. That way it's low risk and if he performs you keep him if not you can sign from a bigger pool in the summer.