Page 64 of 79 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,920 of 2348
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    When a DP signing happens, it won't be announced on a weekend. This is BIG news to drive eyeballs.

First, there will be a leak - maybe on the weekend but...that will happen. "Sources say..." etc.etc.

Then, they will let media know 24 hours before hand that there is an "Important Announcement" coming at a specific time.

IF a signing is announced next week, they will do it on Tuesday or Thursday, most likely. Wednesday is a game day in LA and the other days are not ideal.
    Curtis is not a man that cares about fanfare and playing the media game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So ... how much and how long?

EDIT - Buffery saying one-plus-one. That works.
    Last edited by Bobo; 02-07-2020 at 06:14 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like it.

Piatti at 2-3.0 Million will be much better value then Altidore at 6 +.

I’m hoping by 2021 Piatti is the cost efficient #3 DP, Pozuelo is our #2 DP and Altidore is replaced and we get someone worth 6 million

I hope this is to replace Altidore and we still get another star that can score 30 goals by 2021. That would be amazing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any insight on the guy, he is 5'4 so when Jozy is out who will have the ability to hold up the play ?

Its dynamic having pozeulo, Jozy and piatti.

Anyone knows if this will be a 2 striker setup with a CAM.

Or is it going to be one striker on top with wings supporting the striker ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buffery says 1 yeal deal + option at around $1.6 million.

So this is pretty low-risk, and at that salary that matches the new CBA rules on 3rd DPs as well.

I think it's clear this wasn't our first option. The short term deal is very interesting... I'm glad we didn't overpay for a guy with his injury history, and I like at least that he seems to be betting on himself. He should be motivated. The short term though has me thinking we have designs of maybe doing a significant re-tool of the team in a couple years, before Pozuelo gets too old. We've always invested long-term in our DPs so this is different approach for sure.

As for Piatti's chances on the field, it pretty much rides on health. I have no doubt he's talented enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    So ... how much and how long?

EDIT - Buffery saying one-plus-one. That works.
    Wow, who pissed in Buffery's corn flakes? That article is pretty negative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FootBallAZ View Post
    Any insight on the guy, he is 5'4 so when Jozy is out who will have the ability to hold up the play ?

Its dynamic having pozeulo, Jozy and piatti.

Anyone knows if this will be a 2 striker setup with a CAM.

Or is it going to be one striker on top with wings supporting the striker ?
    This is 4-3-3 all the way, for sure. Jozy in the middle, Piatti on the left, and the right is a bit of a toss up (Gallardo, DeLeon, Endoh, Shaffelburg if he and Piatti switch, even Osorio maybe). Pozuelo at the tip of a midfield 3, probably with Bradley and Delgado.

We're thin at centre forward, it remains to be seen if Vanney elects to put Mullins or Akinola there or use Pozuelo as a false 9 again when Jozy is inevitably injured.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When a DP signing happens, it won't be announced on a weekend. This is BIG news to drive eyeballs.

First, there will be a leak - maybe on the weekend but...that will happen. "Sources say..." etc.etc.

Then, they will let media know 24 hours before hand that there is an "Important Announcement" coming at a specific time.

IF a signing is announced next week, they will do it on Tuesday or Thursday, most likely. Wednesday is a game day in LA and the other days are not ideal.

LOL

Yeah, what the hell do I know.........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A two year deal for Piatti could be a steal if he can pot 10-15 goals while being his usual creative self. His deal would expire in 2022, the same year as Jozy and Pozuelo's contracts expire. That is our window.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    This is 4-3-3 all the way, for sure. Jozy in the middle, Piatti on the left, and the right is a bit of a toss up (Gallardo, DeLeon, Endoh, Shaffelburg if he and Piatti switch, even Osorio maybe). Pozuelo at the tip of a midfield 3, probably with Bradley and Delgado.

We're thin at centre forward, it remains to be seen if Vanney elects to put Mullins or Akinola there or use Pozuelo as a false 9 again when Jozy is inevitably injured.
    Pozuelo can play false 9 because he’s an elite talent but he should not be playing false 9 he needs to be in that CAM role with Piatti at LW, Deleon/Gallardo at RW and Altidore up top that’s my preference anyways

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Journos all pointing out TFC wanted somebody bigger for bigger money and for longer term but had to change their minds with the CBA. This was option C.

i.e. Fuck Dallas & Vancouver cause the league just got even less competitive for signings due to their unwillingness to compete.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Journos all pointing out TFC wanted somebody bigger for bigger money and for longer term but had to change their minds with the CBA. This was option C.

i.e. Fuck Dallas & Vancouver cause the league just got even less competitive for signings due to their unwillingness to compete.
    Yep. Heaven forbid if Vancouver got tore up by a trio of Altidore/Pozuelo/Bruma because they were too frugal to spend on anyone besides Lucas Cavalleni.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haven't seen that.Who said it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1+1 seems ideal, depending on how this shakes out he could be bought down to TAM on his second year, right?

Given the weirdness of the CBA this seems like a pretty smart move. This guys pedigree puts him as one of the absolute elite level players in this league, the big question mark of course is what he's still physically capable of but the ceiling here is huge - He's had a euro career none of our three DPs last year could touch

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Haven't seen that.Who said it?
    Both Buffery & KJ - Davidson doesn't so maybe "all" is too strong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does Piatti think he might forget his first name? Or does he know something we don't about a player who may prefer to stay in Canada?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1+1 with an option at 1.6m? This is basically a TAM signing. Fuck Dallas and Vancouver.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    1+1 seems ideal, depending on how this shakes out he could be bought down to TAM on his second year, right?

Given the weirdness of the CBA this seems like a pretty smart move. This guys pedigree puts him as one of the absolute elite level players in this league, the big question mark of course is what he's still physically capable of but the ceiling here is huge - He's had a euro career none of our three DPs last year could touch
    This is how I'm trying to look at it. Risky but upside is huge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    As for Piatti's chances on the field, it pretty much rides on health. I have no doubt he's talented enough.
    Yup. I've been kinda lukewarm on this signing ever since I saw the rumours, even with the incredible potential for Impact banter this signing also achieves, but he's got a pretty impressive resume. My main concern other than staying healthy is if he can play spot duty at centre forward

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I called it a month ago. Around 2million for a dp
    According to my calculations it was the only figure that made sense economically for maximizing profit
    Any higher amount like 5-6 million you are just throwing money away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both Buffery & KJ - Davidson doesn't so maybe "all" is too strong.
    Got it. cheers

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    According to my calculations it was the only figure that made sense economically for maximizing profit
    Seems they wanted a bigger splash but they're afraid of the CBA rules. Also people have said we're losing tons of money for years and it was unsustainable but yet there we are, at the top of salaries every year and staying there. Pretty sure the extra $3M on a DP wouldn't break their bank and for that refrain to keep up window after window goes against all evidence and facts thus far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm excited. The linkup possibilities w Pozuelo, Osorio, and Altidore could be very sweet.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You didn’t call jack shit. They aren’t economically maximizing profit, they’re preparing for MLS rules changing.

An extra $3m is chump change to them, they don’t give a shit. Parading around a championship team on the other hand is everything to them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    For being so small he's really good with his head.

Wow...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TomLawrence View Post

An extra $3m is chump change to them, they don’t give a shit. Parading around a championship team on the other hand is everything to them.
    Good point. $3m is basically a rounding error on the Leafs annual statements.

People are assuming that TFC is a separate revenue centre that has to justify its existence by making money. Like you've pointed out, it ain't necessarily so. Maybe it's just another way for Larry T to win more trophies. Same with the perennially money losing Argos. We don't actually know.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Because his original comments basically said that the club screwed over Bradley in terms of his treatment. That the medical staff were incompetent and handled the injury wrong. He directly contradicted Curtis and Vanney's take on the situation. That's pretty damning. But he, as yet, has not provided any proof, and we haven't heard anything from Bradley about it, so we have no way of knowing.

So at this point, he should either keep quiet or present some evidence, and not hide behind some non-committal statements like 'I'm backing my guys.'

Because, sure, nothing wrong with backing your guys, unless what you asserted was blatantly wrong.
    ive been a critic of Josie but his second statement was great , we need hot blood on the team , that’s an athlete , I’ll back Josie any time over Curtis and Manning . They make a lot of money , how many games have they played ?
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That’s not what he was getting at. There are people in Toronto who will come watch any Italian player whether they are better than Piatti or not. Same with Portuguese.
    there are more Latins invested in TO from all countries now , as well as Middle East , Africans , the Italians and Portuguese are fickle and not as important any more . They’re invested in the past .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You didn’t call jack shit. They aren’t economically maximizing profit, they’re preparing for MLS rules changing.

I actually did call it. Actions speak louder than words, TFC's actions have absolutely maximized profit. Ali Curtis is brilliant, he has maximized profit and made TFC competitive for supporters shield. I will post more later. but see below. you should pay attention to when I post something it is usually well thought out and analyzed and it is usually bang on.
    this is how i knew they wouldnt get seba back, he is too expensive

this is from 12/27
    if TFC signs a Carlos Vela quality guy for $7M every other team in the league might as well give up for 2020
    nobody would come close to beating TFC.
    do you think the league wants this? remember the league owns 1/2 of TFC don't they?

this is from 12/26

Thanks for the input guys.
    I’m trying to determine what makes sense for TFC to spend on a dp

My guess is max $2M USD
    Last edited by stevep; 02-07-2020 at 08:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool story, centre-of-attention bro. Do you tweet?