Page 18 of 79 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    Dries mertens from Napoli? Proven to score. Not the most popular name. Top 4 league. Contract expires in June. Belgian connection. Transfer fee could be problematic because Napoli wants something to release in january
    Would be awesome but is too good for MLS right now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dries mertens from Napoli? Proven to score. Not the most popular name. Top 4 league. Contract expires in June. Belgian connection. Transfer fee could be problematic because Napoli wants something to release in january
    Isn’t he someone who could still find a spot on a big club?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes please.
    Payet hated England, he'd never come here. Even for loot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    "There's a guy on our radar screen right now (where) the transfer fee's a little problematic, but he's in his young 30s, playing in one of the top four leagues in Europe..."
    - #TFC President Bill Manning , w/ @SNJeffBlair & @RichardDeitsch on #WritersBloc

sportsnet.ca/590/writers-bl…
    Young 30's? Jesus.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Young 30's? Jesus.
    Yeh… hard to get too thrilled over that tidbit, unless we assume it's, at least, a Balotelli level name/talent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it’s Mertens, I’d lose my shit. He’s as good, if not better then Seba was when he left.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    My guess is Spain. France is widely considered the 5th best league in the world. If he is talking about France, my guess is Payet. Some name recognition, and has been pretty consistent scorer/playmaker. But after hearing manning, start looking at Spain.
    We don’t want Payet, no matter how good he may have been. We already got one former WHUFC big deal in Defoe, don’t need a second. Bradley and Payet in the same room would be complete opposites.

Find someone who wants to play (give 100%) and wants to win at TFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it’s Mertens, I’d lose my shit. He’s as good, if not better then Seba was when he left.
    He's way better than Seba lol. It makes sense if it's him as his transfer fee would be fairly high.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’d rather get a player at a decent age (under 30) with more upside potential. So probably not a big pedigree name. I realize that there is some risk with that choice, but I’d like this player to perform at a high level for years to come with the Reds. Considering Jozy will be most likely be unavailable for good stretches of the season, it’s very important that we have a younger, healthy and reliable guy that can pot goals on a regular basis.
    Last edited by Thomas; 12-14-2019 at 07:35 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 year contract would be a good idea for Mertens This team is going to go through a lot of changes after 2021.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    I’d rather get a player at a decent age (under 30) with more upside potential. So probably not a big pedigree name. I realize that there is some risk with that choice, but I’d like this player to perform at a high level for years to come with the Reds. Considering Jozy will be most likely be unavailable for good stretches of the season, it’s very important that we have a younger, healthy and reliable guy that can pot goals on a regular basis.
    its funny that we have to worry about our highest paid player missing 10 to 15 games every year.maybe its time to move on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    2 year contract would be a good idea for Mertens This team is going to go through a lot of changes after 2021.
    Very fair point. However, why not stagger the contracts a little bit and not leave yourself with too much to do in one offseason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    He's way better than Seba lol. It makes sense if it's him as his transfer fee would be fairly high.
    When Seba first got here? I don’t think it’s as much of a difference as you’re making it out. He was a starter for the best team in Italy, and once he went a bit of cold spell, he never got a chance to start again. He could have started on any team in Italy not named Juve, and maybe Napoli. His best soccer was when he came here. He showed it during qualifying for Italy too. Was a difference maker.

Mertens is dominate though... if this is who we’re after.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Isn’t he someone who could still find a spot on a big club?
    32 turning 33 in May. But yes probably still can

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When Seba first got here? I don’t think it’s as much of a difference as you’re making it out. He was a starter for the best team in Italy, and once he went a bit of cold spell, he never got a chance to start again. He could have started on any team in Italy not named Juve, and maybe Napoli. His best soccer was when he came here. He showed it during qualifying for Italy too. Was a difference maker.

Mertens is dominate though... if this is who we’re after.
    Mertens worst season in serie a was as good or better than sebas best season. Mertans had better seasons in Seria a than Seba had in MLS lol. World's apart man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i doubt its mertens..some big euro teams are interested in him like MU and BD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He mentioned la Liga first in the interview and France is probably 5th best league . Can't see Cavani he's linked to athletico Madrid.

What about Gervinho? 32 winger can play up top and brings pace. Also went to China so he's willing to leave a big league.

I have shares in Parma Calcio 1913...get to be in on club decisions Gervinho not going anywhere...extended deal...has special side deal with property attached..in Italy...after Rome and China his agent reached out to Parma loves Italy is fluent in Italian...even thought about citizen switch from Ivory Coast to Italy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mertens worst season in serie a was as good or better than sebas best season. Mertans had better seasons in Seria a than Seba had in MLS lol. World's apart man.
    Seba’s best season in Serie A was 15 goals, 13 assists. Mertens only had one season where he was more dominate/ better stats. I’m agreeing with you he is better, but not by much. Nobody really got to see prime Seba in Serie A.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

32 turning 33 in May. But yes probably still can
    With the age of some of our core players, I was really hoping they would be investing in a younger player who can grow with the team. If we end up getting an elite 30-32 year old like some of the names mentioned, I won't complain though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seba’s best season in Serie A was 15 goals, 13 assists. Mertens only had one season where he was more dominate/ better stats. I’m agreeing with you he is better, but not by much. Nobody really got to see prime Seba in Serie A.
    Dries 34 goals in a season for Napoli. Seba was 22 in MLS. Not even close. Dries would probably break the goal scoring record of MLS. Look where they are now at the same age one is scoring at Anfield vs best team in the world and the other is benched for Al Hilal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Young 30's? Jesus.
    Yeah, it was my strongest reaction when I first saw that post.
    I really really don't like the sound of this....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why does anyone think we would go young with the slot? Only Atlanta uses DPs to try to acquire serious assets for the world market. It'll be interesting to see how that turns out in 2-3 years, but that is a big experiment.

A lot of teams cheap out on them. Would you be thrilled with Katai?

Big money DPs are older players with at least a bit of name recognition that sell tickets.

This is business. Be happy we are spending.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-15-2019 at 08:49 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why does anyone think we would go young with the slot? Only Atlanta uses DPs to try to acquire serious assets for the world market. It'll be interesting to see how that turns out in 2-3 years, but that is a big experiment.

Big money DPs are older players with at least a bit of name recognition that sell tickets.

Ya either get an "a" level guy in their 30s or. "b" level guy in his 20s and hope he improves. This team is a contender so sign a guy who can help the team win now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya either get an "a" level guy in their 30s or. "b" level guy in his 20s and hope he improves. This team is a contender so sign a guy who can help the team win now.
    I agree, definitely in terms of brand perception and career.

however some of those mid to late 20's players have come in and have been better

Vela, Pozuelo, Giovinco and Valeri are the best players to come in there mid 20s. All have unique stories.
    Martinez, De Rossi, Almiron, Barco and Brian Rodriguez are the best players to come in there teens/early 20s but doesn't look like we're going this way.
    Ibrahamovic, David Villa, Kaka, Drogba, Keane, Henry the best value 30s + players to come.

Teams that having been winning the last 5 years in MLS, have been doing it with dp's in there early to mid 20's, Seattle, Atlanta, Toronto and Portland.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, at least part of this DP decision will be based on name recognition I think. There are tickets and merch to sell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    I agree, definitely in terms of brand perception and career.

however some of those mid to late 20's players have come in and have been better

Vela, Pozuelo, Giovinco and Valeri are the best players to come in there mid 20s. All have unique stories.
    Martinez, De Rossi, Almiron, Barco and Brian Rodriguez are the best players to come in there teens/early 20s but doesn't look like we're going this way.
    Ibrahamovic, David Villa, Kaka, Drogba, Keane, Henry the best value 30s + players to come.

Teams that having been winning the last 5 years in MLS, have been doing it with dp's in there early to mid 20's, Seattle, Atlanta, Toronto and Portland.
    I added the best seasons in MLS the last decade with age. If they said they are targeting a player in there young 30's, we would be getting him at 31 or 32 minimum I would guess. On that list, 3 players are older then 31. David Villa, Zlatan and Keane. Valeri was 31. Da Vaio had a good year in MLS in his 30s as well, so did Drogba, Kaka and a few others. But we will need an elite 30+ player like Mertens or Luis Suarez (unlikely)

Rank Player Age Goals Assists Total Team Success
    1 Carlos Vela 30 34 15 49 Supporter Shield
    2 Sebastian Giovinco 28 22 16 38 MLS Cup
    3 Josef Martinez 25 31 6 37 MLS Cup
    4 Zlatan Ibrahimović 37 30 7 37 Nothing
    5 Robbie Keane 34 19 14 33 MLS cup
    6 Diego Valeri 31 21 11 32 MLS cup
    7 David Villa 35 22 9 31 Nothing
    8 Miguel Almiron 24 12 14 26 MLS cup
    9 Bradley Wright Phillips 29 27 2 29 Nothing
    10 Chris Wondowolski 29 27 7 33 Nothing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mertens would be unbelievable but I won’t hold my breath. Don’t forget that this is in addition to a rested Pozuelo do it’s not like we’re only targeting 30+ yr olds.

From an FO perspective I can see them wanting a name. The type that gets butts in the seats. I would have zero issues with that. Building the brand is incredibly important as we continue to grow and it will impact who we can sign in the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My main concern is I'm still assuming we're going after a player to mainly play on the wing, and that's probably the least effective position on the field for a 30-something year old to play - a winger's prime years tend to be in his mid to early twenties before his speed starts going.

Obviously there are still tons of good wingers in their thirties around, and someone on DP wages can still be good at that position in MLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait so going off of what Manning said and assuming we want our third DP to look like this:

- Primarily a winger (preferably on the left)
    - Also very comfortable playing as a striker
    - Early 30's
    - Top four league (feel like he's thinking Germany or Italy if he refers to it as top 4)
    - Name recognition
    - Maybe needs a fresh start after a nightmare year or two
    - Can connect with some of Toronto's largest immigrant communities (i.e. Italy, Portugal) - even playing in for example the Italian or Portuguese league in this case could work
    - BONUS: Hey the players who played in the U20 WC Canada - and mainly BMO Field - hosted are all 30-32 years old now. Wonder if players from the teams who played at BMO a lot would want to return to a venue which would have helped launch their pro careers

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

Welcome to Toronto Alexis Sanchez!!!!!!!!????!!?!?!?!?!?!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He'd give Jozy a run for his money for propensity to injury