Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
I think this is the last time I’m going to try and explain how I see this because I’ve done it a few times.

It is not about making finals, it’s about playing in a way and building a team that can reasonably be expected to perform in a way that gets us there. We are not doing that. We lucked our way into MLS Cup 2019. We shouldn’t be lucky to get to MLS Cup, we should think we’re unlucky if we don’t get there.

And we are so far removed from 2016/17 TFC. If you put weight on making those finals and winning 2017, then you need to consider that we were objectively shit in 2018. Furthermore, you must consider that we were objectively shit for much of 2019 as well. That’s all. I love making finals and winning things and everyone involved deserves kudos. But when I (armchair) evaluate the team I think about how we might do in the near future (1~3 years). What I don’t do is rest on the laurels of years past.
This is fundamentally flawed because

a) Like it or not MLS is designed to reward teams that treat the season like a marathon and peak at the right time.

b) We live in a what have you done for me lately world. I'm sure at work your performance is not evaluated on what you will probably do in the next few years.

As many have pointed out - just be glad you've been able to witness the success that we've had. You'd think this was a Leafs board the way this team gets shit on.