Page 42 of 79 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 2348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Older DPs can only be paid a maximum of 1 million? No way they do that. Not possible. As much as it's good to go for younger DPs, they can't completely neuter the chance to bring in big name players from overseas. That would be commercial suicide.

Not necessarily. Under the proposed changes, teams can still sign older DPs, as long as the team has one that is under 23.

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    That story was a trial balloon put out by 2 ownership groups, who were both mentioned by the writer.

Vancouver

Dallas

The balloon was made of lead. Almost universally panned by journos & fans. The only people who would like this are cheapskate owners and there is no way in Hades that NYC & others who want to spend money hamper themselves in this way.

IIRC, there was talk put out by owners prior to the the last 2 CBA's about changes to the DP system - both times, nothing changed. The strategy seems to be to create friction between the DP's at the table & the non-DP's.

We have heard consistantly from TFC that they are working to get a new DP - we heard strong rumours from decent sources that Ballotelli was under discussion (and rejected ultimately). If people think for one moment that this league is going to not let a team get Mario Ballotelli because some cheapskate owners don't want to spend money on a 3rd DP....

......, then if thi
    s is what that product strategy committe wants to do, then they will do it.

A few more points from that article from The Athletic that should be mentioned:

- this so called (influential) product strategy committe is co-chaired by FC Dallas co-owner Clark Hunt and Whitecaps co-owner Greg Kerfoot being an influential voice in that group - these are 2 lower spending teams

- also included (per sources) are Seattle owner Adrian Hanauer, Portland owner Merritt Paulson, LAFC part-owner Larry Berg, Red Bull global head of soccer Oliver Mintzlaff, City Football Group chief Ferran Soriano, Galaxy president Chris Klein, Atlanta president Darren Eales, and Sporting Kansas City owner Mike Illig - a mix of high spending and low spending teams

- it is this group that votes on whether to recommend proposals like those regarding changes to DP rules to the MLS board of governors, who then typically rubber stamps their recommendations.

- there is some concern that with these changes, it takes away automony from teams. Executives want to run the clubs they see fit. If one wants to sign three expensive 30 year old DPs, then they should be able to.

- these discussions, which are been done internally in the league, for changes to the DP rules are separate from the ongoing CBA changes. It appears that as per the current CBA, the owners can make these changes outside of collective bargaining. They are expected to hang onto this power though the negotiations.

- changes to the DP slot were also discussed late summer of 2018, but were ultimately not adopted. The fact that it is been discussed again 18 months later may mean there is a league wide appetite for restricting that third DP slot.

- whether changes are made or not remains to be seen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like Silva was signed to a USL contract

"Toronto FC has added to its reserve team roster, signing American goalkeepers Kevin Silva and Eric Klenofsky and Canadian midfielder Luca Uccello to USL contracts"
    https://www.guelphtoday.com/national...o-fold-2031907

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Is this to TFC or TFCII?

Guess this means PattersonSewell won't return. He was tight with Auro and helped him a lot because he spoke Portuguese
    It is, along with 2 other TFC II signings

Edit: Rydermike beat me to it ... a sloghly longer blurb is available at
    https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2020/0...ad-2020-season
    Last edited by Luanda; 01-19-2020 at 04:02 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fabio Borini lets get it done !!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We will be putting ourselves in a huge hole again if we have to wait until the summer.

Altidore is 100% going to be injured with little backup for scoring.

The run last year was good, however in a sense it was the last hurrah for the core, we have some ageing players that needed to be replaced.

Pull the trigger or move on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cinci let Fanendo Adi go. Last year he was on 1.36 mil guaranteed. He might actually be a bargain as a like for like backup for Jozy under a mil.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nope to Adi

Defences figure him out in 3 months so he stops scoring

Attitude issues in training

&

a DUI last year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Real news! Where is the real news????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    The journalist crew has not yet graduated!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No news because TFC has decided they will not spend money! No need to, they are happy with the season ticket sales and the product they put out on the field will compete at a playoff level. Not enough fan backlash results in the same old stale soccer that we saw last year. Big name DPS are a thing of the past for this team. They might want to learn from the Blue jays who took a massive season ticket drop when the big names started leaving town.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This.

Getting a little antsy here...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's the part I don't get.

TFC outspent everybody in the league the last four years. It wasn't even close, we spent around $5M a year more than the second highest spending team.

Just by dropping Bradley to a TAM player, we are at last back in line with Atlanta and the Galaxy. At MLSE, this is what I would want to see - that we are spending like an elite team. Not perpetually through that level.

So tell me, how exactly do Manning and Curtis make the case for a major piece?

All that to say, I predict the guy we are getting is going to look a hell of a lot like a "Gallardo" and a hell of a lot less like an "Oliver Giroud". All the big talk from the suits was just to sell fence-sitting SSH renewals.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-20-2020 at 10:15 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd prefer they wait til the summer window. Let's see what Gallardo and endoh can do as starting wingers.

Bigger names could come on a free transfer in the summer. TFC was one of the best teams in the league after the last summer window.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

TFC outspent everybody in the league the last four years. It wasn't even close, we spent around $5M a year more than the second highest spending team.

Just by dropping Bradley to a TAM player, we are at last back in line with Atlanta and the Galaxy. At MLSE, this is what I would want to see - that we are spending like an elite team. Not perpetually through that level.

All that to say, I predict the guy we are getting is going to look a hell of a lot like a "Gallardo" and a hell of a lot less like an "Oliver Giroud". All the big talk from the suits was just to sell fence-sitting SSH renewals.
    I am fine with TFC spending at the current level if they get rid of Altidore. What a colossal waste of money for a player who plays 50% of the time. This is the reason we are begging for another star player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reading some PSV articles on twitter and it seems that Bruma is available.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People said the same thing last spring and then we splashed a $10M transfer and $4M a season on Pozuelo.

Also I would rather take a chance on a young Gallardo type player than an old Giroud type so I have no problem with that.
    Last edited by Ultra & Proud; 01-20-2020 at 10:34 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still not worried. We will be fine. I'm sure whoever we sign will be fine.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    People said the same thing last spring and then we splashed a $10M transfer and $4M a season on Pozuelo.

Also I would rather take a chance on a young Gallardo type player than an old Giroud type so I have no problem with that.
    I was one of those people. Agree with your view btw.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the league got Miguel Almiron in its eyes in this idea of a forcing teams to take young DPs. I think it's a bad strategy. There is no rock left unturned for European teams looking at South American. The odd when will get by, like Almiron, but the chances of building a business strategy on it aren't great. Also proving yourself in MLS really doesn't guarantee anyone will think you can get it done in a big European league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also wasn't there a young DP rule in place before? Isn't that how the Whitecaps got Jarju?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Also wasn't there a young DP rule in place before? Isn't that how the Whitecaps got Jarju?
    Ya you can have a young DP on the roster which costs less on the cap than a regular dp slot. They just just add a young DP slot with the three regular DPS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ensco, you may be right although in that case why wouldn’t they have kept Benezet? I prefer to think that it’s so far a case of over optimism on the part of Curtis and Manning. I’m not taking out roller blades.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I am fine with TFC spending at the current level if they get rid of Altidore. What a colossal waste of money for a player who plays 50% of the time. This is the reason we are begging for another star player.
    Be careful what you wish for.

If they had brought Jozy on at half time in Seattle we would have won the Cup. There is no other player we currently have we can say that about. We had two in 2017. Without Jozy we will have zero.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    I'd prefer they wait til the summer window. Let's see what Gallardo and endoh can do as starting wingers.

Bigger names could come on a free transfer in the summer. TFC was one of the best teams in the league after the last summer window.
    I would not mind that - if they had said that in the first place.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley out 4 months with surgery. I guess Fraser gets his shot but it might be an idea to look at some CM depth now.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Bradley out 4 months with surgery. I guess Fraser gets his shot but it might be an idea to look at some CM depth now.
    Nah - they shouldn't waste time looking for a replacement - Fraser will need to step in and do the job until Bradley can come back. This will be an excellent test to see where he actually is in terms of development - I don't think he'll be amazing, but he's be good enough based on what is around him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Be careful what you wish for.

If they had brought Jozy on at half time in Seattle we would have won the Cup. There is no other player we currently have we can say that about. We had two in 2017. Without Jozy we will have zero.
    Yeah I agree. When he plays we are an unbeatable team, club legend, and no cups without him. I've just moved on, I'm tired of the tease, this team could have achieved generational greatness. There is still the chance, but history has shown the team is too reliant on him, with no other stud #1 to compensate.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm..reading between the lines, Bradley thought he was OK but that it was just taking a while to get better - then when he showed up yesterday, the medical said "Uh OH!" April May return means about 1/3 of the season.

Yeah, time for Fraser and Delgado to step up.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Nah - they shouldn't waste time looking for a replacement - Fraser will need to step in and do the job until Bradley can come back. This will be an excellent test to see where he actually is in terms of development - I don't think he'll be amazing, but he's be good enough based on what is around him.
    This board has been going nuts over Fraser not having enough chances. This is it.