Page 26 of 79 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676 ... LastLast
Results 751 to 780 of 2348
  1. #751
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,765
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    The pozuelo stuff was just negotiation, really don't think anyone in world football is even aware of it nevermind cares. It's standard transfer business.
    Oh yeah? Show us another example of an acquiring club trying to trigger a release clause without even talking to the current club.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

  2. #752
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    North York ON
    Posts
    170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Oh yeah? Show us another example of an acquiring club trying to trigger a release clause without even talking to the current club.
    Neymar. And there's many many many more

    There's also examples of doing it with no release clause, japp Stam admitted Alex Ferguson tapped him up in his book (so spoke to him, illegally, before talking to the club with no release clause). Liverpool got reprimanded for it. Barcelona were so blatant with Fabregas they had players put the jersey on him and openly talk about his Barcelona DNA a year before they signed him. Figo leveraged his release clause to leave Barcelona as captain to sign across the lines of the most bitter rivalry in football

    This is how European transfers work. This isn't north america

  3. #753
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,765
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    Neymar. And there's many many many more

    There's also examples of doing it with no release clause, japp Stam admitted Alex Ferguson tapped him up in his book (so spoke to him, illegally, before talking to the club with no release club). Liverpool got reprimanded for it. Barcelona were so blatant with Fabregas they had players put the jersey on him and openly talk about his Barcelona DNA a year before they signed him. Figo leveraged his release clause to leave Barcelona as captain to sign across the lines of the most bitter rivalry in football

    This is how European transfers work. This isn't north america
    Of course tons of communication happens illegally with players under contract - that is not my point.

    Of course Neymar was rumoured for months. Same for Fabregas and a million others. But at the end, the legal docs were done in consultation with Barca and Arsenal.

    When Chelsea had Kepa's contract triggered last year, they had been talking to both the player and to Bilbao for months prior.

    Jaap Stam, Jesus, maybe, I don't know. An example that ancient/obscure proves my point.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-28-2019 at 11:18 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

  4. #754
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    North York ON
    Posts
    170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Oh yeah? Show us another example of an acquiring club trying to trigger a release clause without even talking to the current club.
    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Of course tons of communication happens illegally with players under contract - that is not my point.

    Of course Neymar was rumoured for months. But at the end, the legal docs were done in consultation with Barca.

    Jaap Stam, Jesus, maybe, I don't know. An example that ancient/obscure proves my point.
    They're off the top of my head and Stam was just foolish enough to admit it. Mind you signing for the top team in Europe at the time as one of the world's top defenders is hardly obscure

    If Neymar was in consultation why did Barcelona try and sue him?

    Worse things happen literally every window then a team trying to activate a release clause.

  5. #755
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,765
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post

    If Neymar was in consultation why did Barcelona try and sue him?

    .
    That was after he left, they sued each other. Neymar sued for unpaid bonuses, Barca countersued for some sort of advance he had received that Barca wanted back.

    Those suits are not obviously related to this question. There definitely was bad blood there, mostly about how Neymar and his father handled things.

    The PSG v Barca “war”, if there is one, is about a lot more than Neymar, and is a pretty unique case.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-28-2019 at 11:38 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

  6. #756
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    with perpetual hope
    Posts
    3,615
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    This is downright embarrassing from the FO. Almost as much as the Pozuelo stuff.
    agreed all parties in mgmt including Vanney are part of this if true . My bias noted , these guys are corporate yes sirs . Why would a player with options come here if he hears this , if it comes down to equal offers . My wish for class or at least communication and honesty in mgmt probably is a pipe dream but I believe it is possible . What really worries me is the affect it has on Canadian youth players , where Hope is paramount . Btw there isn’t enough pressure on our team ( or MLS) to play our developing youth . Also wonder why we’re not taking into consideration the CBA talks , what if they drop the number of DP’s etc $$$. New teams spending $300 M might want a expense controls of some type . I do know the American players are going to fight for their $$ and rights , probably at Canadian players expense (again ) .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

  7. #757
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    with perpetual hope
    Posts
    3,615
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    PS let Mr. Integrity Michael Bradley run this god damn team .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

  8. #758
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    16,091
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Obligatory - we are only hearing one side here


    Not the first guy with a contract indicating a pickup/wage increase etc. if he gets x number of games who doesn't get x number of games. This does go on all over the world - not happy to see it at my club though, if true.


    ********


    Didn't really want Benezet back, to be honest - but doing it this way, again, if true, ain't a good idea.

  9. #759
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    11,549
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Obligatory - we are only hearing one side here


    Not the first guy with a contract indicating a pickup/wage increase etc. if he gets x number of games who doesn't get x number of games. This does go on all over the world - not happy to see it at my club though, if true.


    ********


    Didn't really want Benezet back, to be honest - but doing it this way, again, if true, ain't a good idea.
    Agreed.

    I’m a bit troubled about this, if true. However, willing to hold off on making any assumptions at this stage.

  10. #760
    RPB Member Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    17,412
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I'm going to say it now, although it's premature, unfair and based entirely on my own perceptions: Ali Curtis is Mo Johnston, Redux.

    Everywhere he's gone in the league and each time I've heard him speak, I've thought he came across as insincere, a little arrogant at the least, maybe worse.

    This kind of bullshit can't start again. It killed us for years. If we make commitments the club has to keep them.

    If he hadn't thought ahead to Bradley when making those promises, he's incompetent.

    If he had, he's deceitful.

    This does not bode well.
    I don’t trust Curtis, I think he's shifty, but Mo v2? That's harsh.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 12-28-2019 at 01:47 PM.

  11. #761
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    10,175
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I don’t trust Curtis, I think he's shifty, but Mo v2? That's harsh.
    Both ex-strikers, both shifty. Degrees of shift I don't know; I'm not even sure how shifty Mo was, we had so little accurate inside info. But shifty is shifty when it comes to cutting deals. Eventually, it starts to rebound.

  12. #762
    RPB Member Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    17,412
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Both ex-strikers, both shifty. Degrees of shift I don't know; I'm not even sure how shifty Mo was, we had so little accurate inside info. But shifty is shifty when it comes to cutting deals. Eventually, it starts to rebound.
    I have yet to see a manager in modern MLS as sleazy as Mo was, not even close.

    I do agree btw, that reputation is very important. If it's true that Curtis lied it will reflect very badly on TFC. Once lost, it's hard to fix a reputation.

  13. #763
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Mississauga | Section 221
    Posts
    369
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    We got third round pick from Miami in exchange for rights of ​Juan Agudelo

    https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2019/1...AAWDp37HmniYdI

  14. #764
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    971
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sn0re View Post
    We got third round pick from Miami in exchange for rights of ​Juan Agudelo

    https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2019/1...AAWDp37HmniYdI
    MLS rules are so weird. We have to get compensated for them signing an out-of-contract player who never played for us. The MLS needs to scrap the Re-Entry Draft and the SuperDraft (when's the last time a third round pick has played for us?)

  15. #765
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    951
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    MLS put TFC, Pellistri rumour/interest on the main site.

    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/...undo-pellistri

    That would be really nice signing if it were in addition to a DP, I don't know how that would work though

  16. #766
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,691
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Lol at third round pick. Might as well pick up someone off the street.

  17. #767
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,765
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It's unfair to tar Curtis with the “Mo” brush. We don’t know enough.

    In particular, we need to hear from Benezet's agent. I mean, that six game clause was there for a reason. It would be normal for the agent to be the intermediary on all conversations about something like this.

    Anyone know how big a wheel Benezet's agent, “Meary”, is?
    Last edited by ensco; 12-28-2019 at 06:10 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

  18. #768
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,051
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DavemTFC View Post
    Well I guess that explains all those September games Vanney mysteriously didn't start Benezet for
    Was thinking the same thing. Not good for our clubs reputation when it comes to future transfers or loans

  19. #769
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    4,598
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    Was thinking the same thing. Not good for our clubs reputation when it comes to future transfers or loans
    But makes a whole lot of business sense when you're facing an off season with near total CBA uncertainty.

    Main point, if we played him 6 times and triggered the buy then he would count as a DP under current cap conditions. Last reports were that Guingamp wanted around $5M transfer and if transfer fees were to remain amortized with new CBA then that would make him a DP.

    Now imagine what people on this board would say about Curtis, Manning, and even Vanney if he played in the extra match and then we were stuck with Benezet as our big new DP.


  20. #770
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,765
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ^This is why I have some suspicion of Benezet's agent. The clause exists. It isn’t obvious to me that anyone in TFC's position would give verbal assurances that undermine such a critical element of the deal. I have a lot of respect for Manning, and some for Curtis (these guys turned Hagglund into Gonzalez, signed Westberg, and got Bradley to re-commit as a non-DP, don’t forget)... this isn’t adding up.

    We just don’t know and must await further details.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

  21. #771
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    3,215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ^This is why I have some suspicion of Benezet's agent. The clause exists. It isn’t obvious to me that anyone in TFC's position would give verbal assurances that undermine such a critical element of the deal. I have a lot of respect for Manning, and some for Curtis (these guys turned Hagglund into Gonzalez, signed Westberg, and got Bradley to re-commit as a non-DP, don’t forget)... this isn’t adding up.

    We just don’t know and must await further details.
    I had so much respect and admiration for Curtis for what he did in New Jersey, so I will give him the benefit of the doubt. Meanwhile, I'm extremely unconvinced by Manning after RSL and some of the issues we've had in his tenure.

    I find it extremely hard to believe that Curtis (or anyone with a brain) would give a guarantee on the exercise of an option like that. Until they refute it's only Nico's word to go on. And I I don't think the FO is going to comment tbh
    Last edited by portu; 12-29-2019 at 03:34 AM.

  22. #772
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    11,549
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Lol at third round pick. Might as well pick up someone off the street.
    The days of a Brian McBride style holdup are long gone it appears.

  23. #773
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    821
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    But makes a whole lot of business sense when you're facing an off season with near total CBA uncertainty.

    Main point, if we played him 6 times and triggered the buy then he would count as a DP under current cap conditions. Last reports were that Guingamp wanted around $5M transfer and if transfer fees were to remain amortized with new CBA then that would make him a DP.

    Now imagine what people on this board would say about Curtis, Manning, and even Vanney if he played in the extra match and then we were stuck with Benezet as our big new DP.

    LOL at 5 mill for Benezet. Janson was a better player and younger and TFC could have fit him under the max TAM I believe. Benezet is coming off as a cry baby here, time to move on buddy.

  24. #774
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,179
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    LOL at 5 mill for Benezet. Janson was a better player and younger and TFC could have fit him under the max TAM I believe. Benezet is coming off as a cry baby here, time to move on buddy.
    Kind of like Will Johnson, get over it

  25. #775
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,765
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Benezet's agent has in fact spoken today to L'Équipe.

    He says the contingency really related to Bradley’s contract situation (which makes sense, TFC wouldn’t have needed TAM for Bradley if Bradley was a DP in 2020).

    There was, “without doubt, an internal communication error”. In other words, the agent's fault. Not Manning or Curtis.

    btw Meary “doubled or tripled his salary” to come here.

    https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actu...enezet/1093994

    EDIT: in reading the comments in this article, I saw that Benezet had directly blamed the agent in the original story. He accused him of being in league with Curtis on this. I don’t subscribe to L'Équipe and used up my free visit is so I don’t have their story on it, and it's not in the original version that was linked on this board... but you can clearly get the idea here....
    https://www.time24.news/2019/12/bene...toronto-2.html
    ——————-

    Carry on. Nothing to see here.

    I feel for Nico. The guy was misled by his agent.

    I hope we learn to never again have this type of structure in a deal. Two big problems:
    - It is bad for the room to have team and player misaligned like that, and to have that kind of drama going on behind the scenes.
    - That story was genuinely damaging to the brand, whatever the facts.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-29-2019 at 11:32 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

  26. #776
    RPB Member Treasurer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Full boar
    Posts
    1,416
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Since the Bradley DP extension clause has come up again, I found it was a really weird condition. Winning MLS cup in the last year of the contract was the trigger? Why is that an incentive that was built in? It just seemed odd to tie the team’s hands on a player based on something that didn’t necessarily have to do with his performance.

  27. #777
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    16,091
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redpunkfiddle View Post
    Since the Bradley DP extension clause has come up again, I found it was a really weird condition. Winning MLS cup in the last year of the contract was the trigger? Why is that an incentive that was built in? It just seemed odd to tie the team’s hands on a player based on something that didn’t necessarily have to do with his performance.
    TL made that deal 6 years ago. For all we know it was not just active in the 6th year - easily could have been written that if the team won MLS cup twice during his contract, Bradley got the extension. Heck, I seem to recall Bradley's contract was 5 years, not 6 - might have gotten an automatic extension every time we won MLS cup.

  28. #778
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,051
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    But makes a whole lot of business sense when you're facing an off season with near total CBA uncertainty.

    Main point, if we played him 6 times and triggered the buy then he would count as a DP under current cap conditions. Last reports were that Guingamp wanted around $5M transfer and if transfer fees were to remain amortized with new CBA then that would make him a DP.

    Now imagine what people on this board would say about Curtis, Manning, and even Vanney if he played in the extra match and then we were stuck with Benezet as our big new DP.

    I read in the past it was for 500k euros transfer option. Definitely don't believe that 5 million number.
    I give our FO the benefit of the doubt for sure. But there is definitely some lack of communication or transparency that caused this.

  29. #779
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    beautiful downtown bolton
    Posts
    3,268
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    the dude has been whining on social media for days now.apparently he fired his agent.
    Last edited by reggie; 12-29-2019 at 01:47 PM.

  30. #780
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,691
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Benezet was an average player. Not sure why we are getting all worked up about this.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •