Page 77 of 79 FirstFirst ... 276773747576777879 LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,310 of 2348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TomLawrence View Post
    You’re right the out list is very underwhelming. A bunch of players who offered nothing and Michael Bradley who hasn’t even left.

We’ve replaced a bunch of old TFCII players who weren’t good enough with new young ones with more potential. Sounds good to me. And we’ve lost Moor who was great at his best but barely been involved for a while now and isn’t needed in the slightest bit.

So in conclusion:

Out:
    Nothing of value.

In:
    An experienced La Liga winger
    Highly rated youth players.

Doesn’t look too bad.

Everyone is forgetting Benezet. It’s really Benezet vs. Piatti.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stress View Post
    The fact that everyone forgot about him already is telling in itself.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A certain amount of truth in this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Benezet played like 6 games and never a full 90 it seemed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The MLS Extratime guys said that no team in MLS has a higher ceiling or a lower floor than TFC, which seems right to me.

They were also pretty perplexed by the Piatti signing.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty sure Piatti will be a big upgrade. I know there is a lot of love for Benezet on this forum, but personally, I saw nothing of value in him. If Piatti had played MLS cup, maybe he would have done some defending and the fist Seattle goal doesn't happen. Just saying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    The MLS Extratime guys said that no team in MLS has a higher ceiling or a lower floor than TFC, which seems right to me.

They were also pretty perplexed by the Piatti signing.
    No team has a lower floor? lol even cincy?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    No team has a lower floor? lol even cincy?
    Actually they said that, then to be precise, they said TFC could win the Shield, or finish second worst in the league.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually they said that, then to be precise, they said TFC could win the Shield, or finish second worst in the league.
    That's ridiculous, even if Piatti and Jozy miss half the year TFC won't be near the bottom of the table, they have good depth.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    That's ridiculous, even if Piatti and Jozy miss half the year TFC won't be near the bottom of the table, they have good depth.
    I agree. I think if Jozy, Piatti, Bradley, & Gallardo never play a minute this season we would finish between 7-9th in the east.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I heard that (one guy on that group with that opinion - Doyle has us to win the East) & wondered what he is smoking. A lot of people look at our defence from March to August as the norm that will be returned to with Bradley gone. They also seem to think Pozuelo is out on an island by himself as the AM. I know there are question marks but second worst?!?!?! Q alone is good enough to stop that from happening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I agree. I think if Jozy, Piatti, Bradley, & Gallardo never play a minute this season we would finish between 7-9th in the east.
    I’m not so sure. While we did get good play from Fraser, our record without Bradley last year was quite bad.

Others, sure. We’ve basically already proved it out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I’m not so sure. While we did get good play from Fraser, our record without Bradley last year was quite bad.

Others, sure. We’ve basically already proved it out.
    Our issue with all them out would be scoring goals moreso. Bradley is a solid shield to the backline and I don't see Fraser filling his shoes 100% but no matter what, we would still be better than the Fire, Impact, Miami, and possibly DC if they keep Olsen. Not too sure about NYRB either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would have made more sense to say the biggest disparity between their ceiling and floor. We could be near or at the top or, well, somewhere pretty far from the top. Hard to know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Our issue with all them out would be scoring goals moreso. Bradley is a solid shield to the backline and I don't see Fraser filling his shoes 100% but no matter what, we would still be better than the Fire, Impact, Miami, and possibly DC if they keep Olsen. Not too sure about NYRB either.
    Please share what you are smoking.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The people who say right now we are objectively worse than the Fire, Impact & Miami - find their supplier.

My take on all this:

can 2018 happen again? Cause that's what is in people's minds.

2018 can be put down to 3 main things:

a) Injuries to Altidore, Vasquez, Seba and the whole of the back line
    b) CCL affecting start of season performance & hangover
    c) How BAD that pitch was well into June

a might happen

b & C - no way

So, what happened in 2018 is not going to happen again.

BUT...what might happen is a + other things we have not even thought of yet.

e.g Coronavirus and the stupidity of people- we are seeing it in Italy & Japan already. Without getting into details, as a guy with a history background in the study of these sort of events, I know well that most times epidemics, or whatever you want to call them, are uncontrollable as far as setting boundaries and quarantines, cause hysteria until the conditions change, & kill more then they should but less then people think - I fully expect the MLS season to be interrupted by at least 3 weeks through all this - how that affects the season is a big unknown.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 02-26-2020 at 05:32 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The people who say right now we are objectively worse than the Fire, Impact & Miami - find their supplier.

My take on all this:

can 2018 happen again? Cause that's what is in people's minds.

2018 can be put down to 3 main things:

a) Injuries to Altidore, Vasquez, Seba and the whole of the back line
    b) CCL affecting start of season performance & hangover
    c) How BAD that pitch was well into June

a might happen

b & C - no way

So, what happened in 2018 is not going to happen again.

BUT...what might happen is a + other things we have not even thought of yet.

e.g Coronavirus and the stupidity of people- we are seeing it in Italy & Japan already. Without getting into details, as a guy with a history background in the study of these sort of events, I know well that most times epidemics, or whatever you want to call them, are uncontrollable as far as setting boundaries and quarantines, cause hysteria until the conditions change, & kill more then they should but less then people think - I fully expect the MLS season to be interrupted by at least 3 weeks through all this - how that affects the season is a big unknown.
    Why do you think this regarding Coronavirus? We really haven’t had the same level of outbreak in North America as elsewhere. And when do you think we’d see the season interrupted? (Asking as someone running the Boston Marathon April 20 and is very worried about it being cancelled as the Tokyo Marathon this weekend was).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Why do you think this regarding Coronavirus? We really haven’t had the same level of outbreak in North America as elsewhere. And when do you think we’d see the season interrupted? (Asking as someone running the Boston Marathon April 20 and is very worried about it being cancelled as the Tokyo Marathon this weekend was).
    Oh, God, I do hope I'm wrong and I'm not trying to be tinfoil hat here but.....10 days ago, nobody was thinking Italy had a coronovirus cluster.

Italian & Japanese league games already postponed.

All the talk is of containment - this has not worked in China & will not work but will be tried because people want to see something being done.

In general, the US response to this is already inept & I fully expect there to be a big spike in the next few weeks. A whole lot of disruption in March & April & into May.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Oh, God, I do hope I'm wrong and I'm not trying to be tinfoil hat here but.....10 days ago, nobody was thinking Italy had a coronovirus cluster.

Italian & Japanese league games already postponed.

All the talk is of containment - this has not worked in China & will not work but will be tried because people want to see something being done.

In general, the US response to this is already inept & I fully expect there to be a big spike in the next few weeks. A whole lot of disruption in March & April & into May.
    Well Trump and Pence are all over it now so I feel reassured.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, apparently if there is a successful vaccine it won't be provided in the US for free, in fact no guarantee that it will be affordable to the average American. Most under insured or uninsured people who get sick won't want to pay $175 to see a doctor unless they are in a really bad condition. Expect a complete pandemic.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 02-27-2020 at 10:07 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Yeah, apparently if there is a successful vaccine it won't be provided in the US for free, in fact no guarantee that it will be affordable to the average American. Most under insured or uninsured people who get sick won't want to pay $175 to see a doctor unless they are in a really bad condition. Expect a complete pandemic.
    No flu vaccine will ever be worth investing or seriously developing. It's all a scam to prop up drug manufacturers. I work in the field and we get the results of the effectiveness of the regular flu shots and the highest rate of effectiveness I have seen over the past half decade is 7%. Viruses mutate too fast for them to be truly effective.

We'll see about this virus and it's spread. So far not spreading too fast in first world countries and secondary rates of infection are fairly low over here. I'm sure the media will overblow it though and cause panic so a lot of unnecessary measures will happen. WIll be interesting to see if the big money of entertainment takes a legit hit or is that money and TV just too high to shut a league down. By that I don't mean MLS either. I am thinking more NBA playoffs or March Madness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not that this has to do with Off Season TFC player transactions, but I think the Coronavirus is a little bit over hyped and according to my doctor she feels that the majority of people whom have died are the very vulnerable, not that it shouldn't be dealt with, but I think Influenza is killing more people than the Coronavirus, The World Health Organization is already comparing to the great flu epidemic of 1918 which is sheer hyper-boil in my opinion. Now back on topic, when does this Off-season thread become in season, on Saturday?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First of all - gosh the wealth of backgrounds in here is always interesting to read.

Secondly, my initial point about all this was the season is going to have a lot of unknowns, as always - coronovirus was just the obvious example. A 4 week break with a loss of games, or games behind doors, which is what they are doing in Italy, changes the dynamic of the league. The ONE good aspect about our team is it is adaptable & pragmatic to weird situations.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK - Who is the surprise breakout player this year?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll bite

Noble Okello or Achara

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was an increase in AIDS cases in Indiana when Pence was Governor, so there's some reassurance! Of course, Trump makes this more about himself, which is funny that a germaphobe isn't overly concerned with a potential outbreak.

Having said all that, it's hard to tell what's going to happen and if there will be an outbreak in North America. Will this have any effect on MLS games? Who knows.

Just remember to wash your hands and try not touching your face.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by djking2 View Post
    I'll bite

Noble Okello or Achara
    Okello would be great. You can see the huge potential there but he needs to be consistent and sharp throughout the game.

He’s wild but exciting right now (from what I’ve seen).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    OK - Who is the surprise breakout player this year?
    All my insticts say Achara but I will toss an oddball longshot out there and say Mullins.

Unless we're considering Gallardo a long shot type. I don't since he is TAM and something is expected for that $$$.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Liam Fraser. He is in the perfect setup, with all stars above and below him. He is in a position where he can take gambles and be a destroyer.

Dont forget how great he looked when he came in for Kaye in that huge game vs the USA last October. He was better than MB in that game.
    Last edited by ensco; 02-27-2020 at 06:07 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will Piatti be a good signing? Beats me. Hard to predict.

What's easy to predict is that Jozy will get injured often again this season and that Patrick Mullins is not a good enough 2nd option up top.