Page 56 of 79 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,680 of 2348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not going to get sucked into the Altidore debate, I love him as a player in a TFC shirt and when he steps on the field I have confidence, we need to sign a player that can compliment but also be able to step in when necessary. The arguments on both sides are compelling, but will step aside. Roll on TFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    I am not going to get sucked into the Altidore debate, I love him as a player in a TFC shirt and when he steps on the field I have confidence, we need to sign a player that can compliment but also be able to step in when necessary. The arguments on both sides are compelling, but will step aside. Roll on TFC

We all get frustrated by his injuries. But agree with you. Shouldnt be a debate. He won us the cup and there are lots of strikers who would not have scored.

hope you have good dreams, not the nightmares...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We play our first game in 27 days, in San Jose, against a team that likes to press, will be motivated to win at home but has some weaknesses.

I like our chances in that game. I'd like them better if we had a DP wide left. But anybody thinking we are crud needs to lay off the trade hype.

Not every MLS transfer works out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The team is good enough without the DP to comfortably make the playoffs. The hope is that the DP will help to contend for the Supporter's Shield, waiting until July for said DP probably puts TFC out of that race.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    The Sounders just signed a 28 year old DP so we can assume the u23 rule won't be happening. Pitter patter let's get at er Ali!
    Quote Originally Posted by spe18 View Post
    Upon reading of this article here (https://www.sounderatheart.com/sound...attle-sounders), it seems that Joao Paulo is on loan this season as a DP for this season.

His designation then may change when the rules are clearer.
    The other point to keep in mind is that the proposal is that either one of the three DPs (if all slots are used) has to be a u-23, or barring that, the most the third DP can be paid is $1 million, plus that season's budget charge. So using 2019 figures, that would be about $1.53 million.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    Too much beer. Having said that I am starting to suspect that Curtis may have his hands tied by a salary budget imposed by MLSE. Even though we are down to only 2 DP's we still are one of the highest spending teams in the league, yet match attendance and presumably revenues are down. Curtis may have been given the green light to sign another player, but maybe a cap has been placed on what he can spend to no more than a few million, and maybe it can only be on a free transfer. If this were true it would significantly limit his options in signing a player, and may mean that a signing will not take place until the summer when there will be more players available on a free transfer.

Just speculation on my part. In hindsight re-signing Jozy at over $6M may end up haunting us for the next few years. We all want to blame Curtis for the lack of activity but we don't know what resources he has been given to work with.
    I strongly feel it's more likely because the league, and in particular, it's product strategy committee, is looking to change the DP rules that Curtis, or Manning for that matter have not been able to search for/sign a third DP effectively. And it is in that way their hands are tied.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I strongly feel it's more likely because the league, and in particular, it's product strategy committee, is looking to change the DP rules that Curtis, or Manning for that matter have not been able to search for/sign a third DP effectively. And it is in that way their hands are tied.
    If nobody is signed it is very suspicious.
    We could have just kept benezet and we would have been fine
    Why would they get rid of him if they don’t sign a dp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    If nobody is signed it is very suspicious.
    We could have just kept benezet and we would have been fine
    Why would they get rid of him if they don’t sign a dp
    I think they got rid of him because despite all the Benezet love on this board since he left, he just wasn't good enough. He was a real defensive liability. Spending good money on a one way player just doesn't cut it. His attitude appeared to be that defending was for others to do so why should he bother. I'm still of the mind that getting the right guy is far more important than getting just anybody right now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we probably have a few options at DP. Probably the ones mentioned earlier this winter and we probably want the "young" 31 year old guy but will go for that kid from Penerol if they force this DP rule in.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel like the time to evaluate roster construction is a long way off.

I made this mistake last year. So many unknowns from the outside.

I do give them an F on communications. These endless “two weeks away” games are not the way to sell tickets. But that is not my problem.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I feel like the time to evaluate roster construction is a long way off.

I made this mistake last year. So many unknowns from the outside.

I do give them an F on communications. These endless “two weeks away” games are not the way to sell tickets. But that is not my problem.

Your grade is generous.

They appear to be disorganized and last minute, or alternatively cannot close a deal. If they had said “given the uncertainty this year, we might need to prioritize the summer window” most would accept.

VV they had monitored. Poz they had monitored. They must have been monitoring. Why can’t they close?

“Incomplete” is a better reflection of the work. Or “Did not attend”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having the day off, I have been scouring Transfermarket for some fits that haven't been mentioned.

Wanderson - Krasnodar, Russia. A Brazilian LW. Probably looking at a 12+ million dollar fee. Probably too much, but seemingly the kind of guy they could really use.

Pione Sisto - Celta de Vigo, La Liga. He can play either wing and is a former Danish international. Turns 25 tomorrow and has seen his minutes dry up in a hurry in Spain. Kloke in his latest article says that Spain is a country he keeps hearing about in relation to TFC's DP search. Sisto seems easily obtainable.

Viktor Fischer - FC Copenhagen, Denmark. This would be my guy if it were my choice. Fischer seems exactly what TFC has been hunting for. A natural left-sided winger who has experience playing on the right and as a 9. He has a history of solid production and I am sure he would be down for a big pay day as he heads into his late 20's. Transfermarket has him valued at 6.6 million which is in line with recent DP's in MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just reading that Bobby Wood turned down FC Cincinnati and that his agent is shopping him around MLS. It was rumored last year that TFC were interested in him.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/...n-hamburger-sv

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kuku View Post
    Just reading that Bobby Wood turned down FC Cincinnati and that his agent is shopping him around MLS. It was rumored last year that TFC were interested in him.

Please no.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't say that I ever really watched him play. US fans don't seem to think he is all that though so not sure it would be worth and do we want more USMNT players on our roster so every time the US is playing we could lose a bunch of players? Although not sure how many call ups our guys will have...but the potential would be there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hell no to Bobby Wood.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's quite comical on this thread, someone mentions a player the pundits instantly post back, hell no as if said player has Bubonic plague 😂😂

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those who are looking at opposing teams signing and saying they are all getting better.

Last year, our first game of the year was against Philly- their big signing was Marco Fabian, DP - LigaMx - going to bring in the Mexicans etc. etc. etc. Boy was he feisty that first game.
    Well, today he's off to Qatar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    For those who are looking at opposing teams signing and saying they are all getting better.

Last year, our first game of the year was against Philly- their big signing was Marco Fabian, DP - LigaMx - going to bring in the Mexicans etc. etc. etc. Boy was he feisty that first game.
    Not sure what point you are trying to make here....the reality is that every team in the east has got a lot better and TFC has remained the same with less players at the moment. You are dreaming if you think the status quo is good enough...

Some mentioning going back to the MLS Cup final...lol, not with what we have atm.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canuckistan View Post
    Not sure what point you are trying to make here....the reality is that every team in the east has got a lot better and TFC has remained the same with less players at the moment. You are dreaming if you think the status quo is good enough...

Some mentioning going back to the MLS Cup final...lol, not with what we have atm.
    Wow. Who peed in your corn flakes?

We will get a full year of Gonzalez, a Ciman who got his game back together, a rested Pozo, a healthy Osorio.

Pozuelo, rested, may seriously tear this league apart.

We are missing Bradley and Benezet, but if Jozy is there opening day, we are just as good right now as the team that played in the playoffs.

Also nobody in the east got better. Maybe DCU I suppose. Atlanta are a lot worse.
    Last edited by ensco; 02-03-2020 at 06:37 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We will get a full year of Gonzalez, a Ciman who got his game back together, a rested Pozo, a healthy Osorio.

We are missing Bradley and Benezet, but if Jozy is there opening day, we are just as good right now as the team that played in the playoffs.

Also nobody in the east got better. Maybe DCU I suppose. Atlanta are a lot worse.
    Exactly. Odds were released and TFC had the best odds in the east to win MLS Cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly. For those who (understandably) get frustrated with Jozy’s injuries, there are so many examples like this of failed transfers in MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, agreed activity for the sake of it is not the goal. Paper signings do not tell the story.

Now that said, my point of contention would be: it has been a quiet offseason with relatively little to do and there has been a clear need on this roster for quite some time (DP winger). There should have been plenty of opportunity to do due diligence and identify targets.

Not making the signing in good time hurts our record during the year and chances for home-field advantage during playoffs.

In world football terms there should be plenty of options and no real dire need to wait for summer.

So why not get on with it?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he is willing to do a 1 year on $300K or so sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of 2 scenarios...Either TFC is stuck with the crumbs of this transfer season or, after nearly everyone has gotten their fill, TFC is really going after another big one a la Pozuelo!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's quite comical on this thread, someone mentions a player the pundits instantly post back, hell no as if said player has Bubonic plague 
    Plague is apt. I take it you're aware of his toxic attitude and Hamburgs relegation then?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOLOL, I do appreciate a good laugh. If you really believe no one has improved in the east...I can't help you there...you can live in your own ignorance.
    You better hope everyone can stay healthy. Not sure if you realize just how big of a loss Michael (the glue) Bradley is.
    Ciman...that was a good one.
    Still need a LB, striker, winger and probably a quality utility player imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Plague is apt. I take it you're aware of his toxic attitude and Hamburgs relegation then?
    I am👍👍

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canuckistan View Post
    Not sure what point you are trying to make here....the reality is that every team in the east has got a lot better ....
    My point is

"a lot better" right now is all subjective. And many of those great signings will fail.

That's objective reality.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's quite comical on this thread, someone mentions a player the pundits instantly post back, hell no as if said player has Bubonic plague 😂😂
    Played for scheiss HSV, close enough