Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Playoffs First Round - DCU @ TFC Saturday Oct 19 6pm - For the Time Is Now

Tonight at Noon

Have at It People

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What disappoints me most about the game time is it messes with game day routines for the players and the fans to the point where the game itself will suffer almost as much as the atmosphere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why is the start time set for noon? It's not like it's late November.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It makes no sense as there are two games later in the afternoon at the same time, both of them on Fox. There is no US TV coverage that day beyond Univision. And no 7pm game.

If the time was set to please Univision, somebody at MLS needs to get fired.

If the time was set so it didn't conflict with the Leafs, somebody at MLSE needs to have a talking to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stupid time, was excited now cant go. If this has to do with the leafs MLSE should just sell the team.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why all the complaining? We unexpectedly have a home playoff match and people are whining. Someone has to have the earlier time and we have the most flexibility because the Argos are done, so there's no conflict with pointyball, which some other teams have.

No matter what time it is, someone will have a time conflict.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 10-07-2019 at 08:02 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Why all the complaining? We unexpectedly have a home playoff match and people are whining. Someone has to have the earlier time and we have the most flexibility because the Argos are done, so there's no conflict with pointyball, which some other teams have.

Its just a stupid time, legit complaint I think. Not a complaint about hosting a playoff game, thats amazing! I feel good, Vanney is great at preparing for playoff games. It'll be tough to break down DC but hopefully we have learnt a thing or two about that over the last few years.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Noon hour games are more likely to have conflicts then 7pm
    2. Night time games are better atmosphere for both fans & players - TFC has shown this over the last 3 years
    3. Night time playoff games SELL TFC to casuals
    4. Noon games play havoc with player routines if players are not used to them - the games are inevitably worse played (talk about "they get up for them anyways" is not the point - these guys are finally tuned machines
    5. There is no reason given to us WHY this decision has been made
    6. The only potential conflict locally is a Leafs game - if our playoff game is secondary to a Leafs game in October, that's a BIG problem internally in MLSE
    7. If MLSE didn't make this decision, then the only potential conflict is Univision not wanting to show a game at 7pm. - I for one would not be happy if our playoff game time was chosen based on the Spanish language TV network Univision having somethng other then MLS on at that time - do ya'll feel happy we got bumped for a LigaMx broadcast in the US?!?!?!
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 10-07-2019 at 08:30 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OG hit the nail on the head.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this was 100% about US television.

They are staying away from the NFL and the MLB league championship series (which will have games 6 and 7 going that weekend).

I think the reason for our game not being at 4pm or similar is the chance that the Nationals make it to the NLDS and are playing that day. That game would be at 4pm or 830pm. MLS just wanted to stay well clear of that scenario
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bring it on! Was watching the other games on my phone and couldn't believe that Cincy hung on like that. We once again owe Haggelund drinks forever. (I think he's a milk guy so that will be cheap). How all those games went the right way is amazing. I started figuring out plans for a DC trip at half time so that was an incredible outcome.

Moving a bunch of stuff to make the game but so be it.

cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why all the complaining? We unexpectedly have a home playoff match and people are whining.
    Reminds me of this...
    https://youtu.be/nUBtKNzoKZ4?t=121

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I think this was 100% about US television.

They are staying away from the NFL and the MLB league championship series (which will have games 6 and 7 going that weekend).

I think the reason for our game not being at 4pm or similar is the chance that the Nationals make it to the NLDS and are playing that day. That game would be at 4pm or 830pm. MLS just wanted to stay well clear of that scenario
    Fox has 2 games at 3:30pm that day. We were never going to be on Fox.

If this is about US TV, its about Univision not wanting a 7pm game. If this is about the Leafs.....we play up against them all the time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ 7pm Saturday is not about Univision, cmon. It has a real chance of being up against the Nationals. That is pretty obviously the reason.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flambe View Post
    well played
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Game time is stupid, but with two kids, one three months old, it works for me. At least I'll be able to go!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As long as Shoeless starts serving Pints at 10am, I am good.

COYRs

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe Joe's can set up a nice Brunch set menu or buffet for us?

just an idea

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    As long as Shoeless starts serving Pints at 10am, I am good.

COYRs

9 AM - Long overdue.

https://www.narcity.com/news/ca/on/o...0-am-every-day

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Falcons and Seahawks are both playing at home on the Sunday and the soccer game had to be as early as possible so the field could then be prepared for their respective NFL game the next day. There is a lot of day before prep that goes also including the broadcast setup etc.

Also from a TSN perspective as the Canadian rightsholder they already had CFL commitments for 4 pm and 7 pm on the Saturday. Lots of moving parts here.

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    It makes no sense as there are two games later in the afternoon at the same time, both of them on Fox. There is no US TV coverage that day beyond Univision. And no 7pm game.

If the time was set to please Univision, somebody at MLS needs to get fired.

If the time was set so it didn't conflict with the Leafs, somebody at MLSE needs to have a talking to.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    The Falcons and Seahawks are both playing at home on the Sunday and the soccer game had to be as early as possible so the field could then be prepared for their respective NFL game the next day. There is a lot of day before prep that goes also including the broadcast setup etc.

Also from a TSN perspective as the Canadian rightsholder they already had CFL commitments for 4 pm and 7 pm on the Saturday. Lots of moving parts here.

This.

Also, we got the second best game time.

Better than 7pm.
    Way better than Sunday

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

12pm? Reminds me of that crucial Champions League game we played in front of 200 people.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red4ever View Post
    This.

Also, we got the second best game time.

Better than 7pm.
    Way better than Sunday
    Wait...you think 12 pm is preferrable to 7pm?

As for TSN - they have had CFL games on during our matches since July.

Nah, we got shafted for something & I think its the Univision contract (which is actually big for MLS -$15 million).

Not sold on it being DC baseball related to because right now DCU has no local TV rights holder - they were streaming through a company that was so bad, DCU tore up the contract last week.

The stadium is going to be 2/3 full. Its a shame. Going to move on but people who think its nothing are not thinking this through.

MLSE rolled over for somebody in MLS.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 10-07-2019 at 01:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What disappoints me most about the game time is it messes with game day routines for the players and the fans to the point where the game itself will suffer almost as much as the atmosphere.
    I actually have to wake up early to make this game

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ^ 7pm Saturday is not about Univision, cmon. It has a real chance of being up against the Nationals. That is pretty obviously the reason.
    baseball playoffs are on?

woah, im living under a rock

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Game time is stupid, but with two kids, one three months old, it works for me. At least I'll be able to go!
    God bless, i cant my kids out the door (dressed and fed) on the weekend until around 11

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see TSN not wanting to split up their viewership with a TFC playoff game.

Nah, we got shafted for something & I think its the Univision contract (which is actually big for MLS -$15 million).

Not sold on it being DC baseball related to because right now DCU has no local TV rights holder - they were streaming through a company that was so bad, DCU tore up the contract last week.

The stadium is going to be 2/3 full. Its a shame. Going to move on but people who think its nothing are not thinking this through.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How can a team with that pedigree not have a good tv/internet deal by now, with rooney!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A significant portion of the fan base prefer evening games in summer, and day games in spring and fall.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Leafs play Boston at Scotiabank at 7pm on October 19.

The Conference Semis against NYCFC is Wednesday Oct 23 at 7pm. (the 4th/5th winner plays NYCFC) At least we know why the Round 1 game is on Saturday and not Sunday.