Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    You can’t have a PK and a red in consecutive games without consequences. Looking forward, Ciman has to start over Mavinga.
    Lappalainen was on a clear breakaway. Mavinga had no choice but to foul. And it was a good foul to take, and was outside the box. Also, the timing didn't hurt us considering it was in the 85th minute.

I'll take Mavinga over Ciman any day.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    The way we play now, we could give someone a close game and not quite make it and everyone would pat themselves on the back for effort. The 2017 team would have never settled for that, anything less than a championship would have been disappointing.
    I would have accepted that better yesterday if we had guys like Gallardo, Schaffelburg, Fraser, etc. starting and fighting it out.

The roster we had out there shouldn't be applauding good efforts and steps in the right direction at this point of the season.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    There was a quote circulating that they dont practice them often.
    Source?
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I would have accepted that better yesterday if we had guys like Gallardo, Schaffelburg, Fraser, etc. starting and fighting it out.

The roster we had out there shouldn't be applauding good efforts and steps in the right direction at this point of the season.
    Agreed, although not so much a yesterday thing in isolation as something i’ve noticed throughout the season.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 09-26-2019 at 10:24 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Agreed, although not so much a yesterday thing in isolation as something i’ve noticed throughout the season.
    True. I have grown tired of hearing Vanney and Bradley repeat how we did all the right things in losses/draws and how we were the better team and would have won if only ......blah, blah, excuse, blah.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Source?
    Vanney said that they don’t practice penalties often (but they did this week) post game. Three misses is extraordinary. Jozy simply had to score to put pressure on Montréal.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney said that they don’t practice penalties often (but they did this week) post game. Three misses is extraordinary. Jozy simply had to score to put pressure on Montréal.
    Yup! Three misses out of only 4 taken, in fact!!

They don't practice penalties often? Wow.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Yup! Three misses out of only 4 taken, in fact!!

They don't practice penalties often? Wow.
    How often do most teams practice penalties?
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Source?
    https://canpl.ca/article/this-one-st...urnament-final

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Lappalainen was on a clear breakaway. Mavinga had no choice but to foul. And it was a good foul to take, and was outside the box. Also, the timing didn't hurt us considering it was in the 85th minute.

I'll take Mavinga over Ciman any day.
    Bingo. Very smart actually. That’s in the back of the net if he doesn’t. With penalties looming in under 10 minutes, that’s what I was thinking he should do when Lappalainen burned the high line (wasn’t Mavinga’s man btw).

On the penalties, Jozy’s Penalty was stupid. If your going to go down middle (smart btw), you don’t need to kill it. Just get a little air underneath and your good. If he stands there, he would save it anyways. Mullins pk was just poor. If we go to penalties in the playoffs, I’d like to see this order:

1) Poz
    2) Jozy
    3) Endoh
    4) Benezet/gallardo(whoever is on)
    5) Mavinga

I’d probably go Morrow after that. I don’t want to see Bradley, Osorio, or Delgado take a penalty for the rest their careers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    Bingo. Very smart actually. That’s in the back of the net if he doesn’t. With penalties looming in under 10 minutes, that’s what I was thinking he should do when Lappalainen burned the high line (wasn’t Mavinga’s man btw).

On the penalties, Jozy’s Penalty was stupid. If your going to go down middle (smart btw), you don’t need to kill it. Just get a little air underneath and your good. If he stands there, he would save it anyways. Mullins pk was just poor. If we go to penalties in the playoffs, I’d like to see this order:

1) Poz
    2) Jozy
    3) Endoh
    5) Mavinga

I’d probably go Morrow after that. I don’t want to see Bradley, Osorio, or Delgado take a penalty for the rest their careers.
    endoh has become our sharpshooter. Not sure if thats telling, but it kinda is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

on the flip side, has Bono ever saved a PK?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post
    At the end of the day when your first two subs are your left and right back what do we expect to happen....

The players were gassed by the end. Why not DeLeon and then Gallardo instead of auro and Mullins? As much as TFC had significant chances they missed, Vanney lost this game
    Auro was looked instantly bad.
    He looked less fresh than layrea coming off

We had no impact subs, infact we had negative impact subs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh well, can't win it every year. We need to address the PK situation.

On the bright side, that was the pinnacle of Montreal's season and we are going to the playoffs.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1) Poz
    2) Jozy
    3) Endoh
    5) Mavinga

Why Morrow? I don't have anything against him generally, but he did the exact same kind of PK in MLS Cup 2016, as Jozy did last night.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    on the flip side, has Bono ever saved a PK?
    I am assuming since our players never practice penalties that our keepers don't practice them either. That lining up and firing on the fly pre-match isn't the same as learning to read a players body on the PK lead up and I am unsure that's something we bother with. Doesn't look like it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney said last night we haven't stop a single PK in PK shootout and that this needed to be worked on.

I get the feeling its being added to the roster of regular things to work on next season.

Just an FYI:

Playoffs are not straight to PK's - the regular 2 x 15 minutes and then PK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Why Morrow? I don't have anything against him generally, but he did the exact same kind of PK in MLS Cup 2016, as Jozy did last night.
    More of a he’s ahead of Bradley, Osorio, Delgado, then he’s good. Those 3 have proved more than once that they can’t take penalties.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Vanney said last night we haven't stop a single PK in PK shootout and that this needed to be worked on.

I get the feeling its being added to the roster of regular things to work on next season.

So it only took losing 3 cups in penalties to figure that out. Great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I said it 2 weeks ago, and I’ll say it again. Jozy has been invisible for over a month now, and Poz is completely out of gas. Both of these things for me will hinge on TFC’s chances in the post season. Altidore better wake up, or we might ourselves on another heartbreaking tight loss in the playoffs.
    i agree..he looks slow and lazy lately.he has like 1 goal in his 8 or 9 games and he is trying to kill the ball.boy do we ever need a second scorer.he cant do it by himself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    i agree..he looks slow and lazy lately.he has like 1 goal in his 8 or 9 games and he is trying to kill the ball.boy do we ever need a second scorer.he cant do it by himself.
    That's the problem with the single striker in a capped league. Don't want to waste too much on a back up who may never play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to the MLS site, the league’s penalty success rate is around 76-79%. In all competitions, does anyone know TFC’s cumulative penalty success rate?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Found it. In MLS regular season (so it excludes playoffs/shootouts) we have a 69.1% success rate. All competitions we are 71.5% (57/80).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How often do most teams practice penalties?
    I am not being critical - you asked for the source that they did not practice much and I gave it. Interesting though that England practiced them with innovative techniques - like incredible noise turned off for silence just before the kick, at the end of training when players were mentally tired, etc - maybe TFC needs to do that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greekasm View Post
    According to the MLS site, the league’s penalty success rate is around 76-79%. In all competitions, does anyone know TFC’s cumulative penalty success rate?
    5/6 MLS cup; 3/5 CCL; 1/4 CC - from memory.

Not sure about regular season. Gio was perfect until Red Bull out guessed him.

Thinking about it more, given VAR is increasing the number of penalties, it does need to be worked on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More of a he’s ahead of Bradley, Osorio, Delgado, then he’s good. Those 3 have proved more than once that they can’t take penalties.
    I think we've all been blinded by THAT open play Delgado miss against Chivas since the only penalty I remember him ever taking was the one he scored in a shootout against - wait for it - Chivas

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not being critical - you asked for the source that they did not practice much and I gave it. Interesting though that England practiced them with innovative techniques - like incredible noise turned off for silence just before the kick, at the end of training when players were mentally tired, etc - maybe TFC needs to do that.
    It wasn't a challenge, I was just curious. When I took OSA coaches training there was zero on penalties. I was wondering how much the pros do it in general? I know that David Beckham was renowned for spending hours practicing them and it was something unusual that he did so.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney's strategy was fine. If the players had finished better TFC would have won in regulation. Jozy was particularly poor, perhaps exhaustion.
    Predictable comment but no , with this talent they should be winning vs this opponent. Vanery smothers the natural talent of all these players with his rigorous hold on playing ‘his ‘ style . We kill fast breaks , either always passing back , letting the other team regroup or , crosse to nonexistent , slow attackers . We had a lot of crosses and corners to nowhere . He should know the teams weakness and frighin practice them , hmm. Penalties , ever won any of them . Each of these players are playing like they have an extra 100 lbs on them , or really tired of playing under Vanneys rigorous structure . Results are the proof , even for his cheerleaders . Still with his disrespect of winning Concacaf , remember his dismal attempt at a winning line-up ? It’s better we don’t represent Canada , Vanney would only underestimate the opponent ,...again .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    Predictable comment but no , with this talent they should be winning vs this opponent. Vanery smothers the natural talent of all these players with his rigorous hold on playing ‘his ‘ style . We kill fast breaks , either always passing back , letting the other team regroup or , crosse to nonexistent , slow attackers . We had a lot of crosses and corners to nowhere . He should know the teams weakness and frighin practice them , hmm. Penalties , ever won any of them . Each of these players are playing like they have an extra 100 lbs on them , or really tired of playing under Vanneys rigorous structure . Results are the proof , even for his cheerleaders . Still with his disrespect of winning Concacaf , remember his dismal attempt at a winning line-up ? It’s better we don’t represent Canada , Vanney would only underestimate the opponent ,...again .

I suggest reading "Pep Confidential" by Marti Perarnau, a journalist who was given pretty well unhampered access when he was at Bayern Munich. You'd see that one of the most brilliant football minds this generation has his players play "his" style, and Pep is very rigid about it. He's won everywhere he goes using his style, "smothering" the player's natural way of playing (it was very hard for German players to play his style, which is not at all typical of the Bundesliga). You'd get a better idea of what Vanney is trying to do. Vanney is no Pep, but he's a student of Pep and others who is trying to learn the lessons.

As far as the players passing back this game... that was mostly Morgan, who as I pointed out Vanney substituted early, and a lot of people called Vanney out for making that substitution because they didn't see what was going on, but Vanney did. That's why there was much less back-passing and much more attacking play in the second half of the match. Vanney has been pushing a fast attacking style this season instead of the more methodical method that took advantage of having a Giovinco, and when the players do it, it unbalances the other team (like it did LAFC, TFC is really the only team that took it to them this season).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5/6 MLS cup; 3/5 CCL; 1/4 CC - from memory.

Not sure about regular season. Gio was perfect until Red Bull out guessed him.

Thinking about it more, given VAR is increasing the number of penalties, it does need to be worked on.
    MLS Cup was 4/6. Bradley and Morrow missed.