Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcfans View Post
    To be honest; we are staring at 5th which to me is the worst playoff position to be in as you play 4th on the road and then face a resting 1st place team (who gets a bye) on the road too. At least 6th and 7th don’t play rested teams in the second round if they win, and 6th could still host a game in round 2, if 7th beats 2nd; which 5th has no opportunity to do in round 2.
    Is 6th not really better than 5th based on the new format? 5th gives you zero chance to host a round 2 game and you get a rested opponent if you win; whereas 6th could host round 2 if 7th wins, and at least if they don’t host a round 2 game, 2nd place just played a game when you did, and are playing on a short weeks rest just like 6th place does....for all these reasons, I assume we will finish in 5th....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC is back!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I honestly couldn't believe the way they were defending. They were throwing themselves at everything as if it was a Cup Final. They were giants.

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    TFC is back!!
    Shhhh! Keep it down!
    Last edited by Brooker; 09-22-2019 at 08:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    Red Bull’s win 2-0, we are 5th... 1 point behind, 2 less wins and 1 less on goal differential
    We are now 6th. DC beat Seattle 2-0. We are 2pts behind DC who moved into 4th place, one win behind and equal on goal differential. 1pt behind NYRB.

If the playoffs started today we'd be playing Philly on the road. Facing either Atlanta/NER in the Conference Semis if we beat Philly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting analysis from Matthew Doyle on MLS on Omar Gonzalez (I agree with the last part).

"Toronto are 6-1-5 in Gonalez's 12 starts. They are 6-9-5 in their other 20 outings. Gonzalez has been a season-changing addition."

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/...ek-29-analysis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pfk View Post
    Interesting analysis from Matthew Doyle on MLS on Omar Gonzalez (I agree with the last part).

"Toronto are 6-1-5 in Gonalez's 12 starts. They are 6-9-5 in their other 20 outings. Gonzalez has been a season-changing addition."

Not surprised by this. He's been a huge addition.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Not surprised by this. He's been a huge addition.
    Yup. This is the first piece of info on the MLS website that mentioned anything positive about TFC's play even though it was just mentioning one player. I get kind of insulted, but not surprised, by the MLS website articles about the game. It is all about LAFC not playing as well and after the first 30 minutes LAFC showed their superiority again by getting back posesssion and all that. Gimme a break. TFC totally dominated until they went into their defensive shell allowing LAFC to look like they were getting back into the game which I wish they really didn't do because they could have done the second half just like the first if they kept up the tempo but maybe the short rest and travel was setting in a bit after dominating the first half. Doyle mentions that teams are starting to figure LAFC out which is fine and all but you going to tell me that another MLS team is going to go give them a half like that in their house? I don't think so. Give credit where it is due. Whatever though...TFC did well enough and if not for that bonehead play they could have held on. TFC went to NYCFC and gave them hell and same with LAFC. Not many teams have done that to either team this year. I am not worried about TFC having to play away to win the in the playoffs. If TFC are on their game no MLS team including NYCFC and LAFC, MLS's current darlings, will want to play us even in their own stadium.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcfans View Post
    Is 6th not really better than 5th based on the new format? 5th gives you zero chance to host a round 2 game and you get a rested opponent if you win; whereas 6th could host round 2 if 7th wins, and at least if they don’t host a round 2 game, 2nd place just played a game when you did, and are playing on a short weeks rest just like 6th place does....for all these reasons, I assume we will finish in 5th....
    I agree that 6th is better than 5th...I like the idea of a home game to cheer on our Reds, but I am not sure that 6th isn't also better than 4th.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pfk View Post

Not surprised - the decline of TFC's success the past two seasons has come at the same pace as the downfall of Drew Moors health.
    Omar is what we needed since last year. If TFC dropped the ball on anything the past two years, it's been locking down a guy like Omar sooner.

Welp - they got him now - hope he continues to thrive here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Not surprised - the decline of TFC's success the past two seasons has come at the same pace as the downfall of Drew Moors health.
    Omar is what we needed since last year. If TFC dropped the ball on anything the past two years, it's been locking down a guy like Omar sooner.

Welp - they got him now - hope he continues to thrive here.
    What some people seem to forget - is unlike forwards/AM's and midfielders, CB's actually mature a lot later. It's not uncommon for a CB to peak around 28-30. Gonzo is legit!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    What some people seem to forget - is unlike forwards/AM's and midfielders, CB's actually mature a lot later. It's not uncommon for a CB to peak around 28-30. Gonzo is legit!
    I had a lot of concerns when he signed, age wasn't one of them. When he left MLS, he was not a CB general.
    As I don't care for Liga MX and don't watch or follow it, I would assume his dip in form in Mexico came from him either trying to adapt to this new General role or him playing the Destroyer role when he should've been a general?

Anyways whatever it was, It seems like he's over it now - either because the standard is lower or he's just more comfortable with what TFC are doing. Hopefully this will last for the next 4-5 years.