Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Match Day 32 - TFC @ LAFC Saturday Sept 21 - Ba de Ya

Do you remember the 21st night of September?
    Love was changing the minds of pretenders
    While chasing the clouds away

Have at It People

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to see a strong lineup for this game even if a couple starters have to come off the bench. This will be a real benchmark of where we are at.
    We had a similar one against Atlanta in 2017 prior to playoffs starting and us winning the whole thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

start our best, leave it all on the field, this is our mls cup

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I the only one who would prefer we go full strength against MTL both legs and send the B squad to LA? Give the boys a bit of a rest in terms of travel and focus on the cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post
    Am I the only one who would prefer we go full strength against MTL both legs and send the B squad to LA? Give the boys a bit of a rest in terms of travel and focus on the cup.
    don't you want to see if we can beat LAFC?
    I sure as heck do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There aren’t many. We need the momentum that could come from A successful test against the best.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No you are not.

Vanney indicated in the presser yesterday that he would be making decisions about the next 2 games based on how people are doing today recovery wise. There are some necessary changes for Wednesday based on content requirements.

But for LA, I would not be surprised if both Jozy & Poz didn't make the trip. I would nail Bradley on as a "he's not missing this one no matter what" sort of thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    There aren’t many. We need the momentum that could come from A successful test against the best.
    Also, it's not really fair to the LA fans to not play your best.
    Those people pay a lot of money for their tickets based on the resale prices I see on StubHub

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy could be up for a suspension as DISCO meets this week. https://www.wakingthered.com/2019/9/...ble-suspension

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    No you are not.

Vanney indicated in the presser yesterday that he would be making decisions about the next 2 games based on how people are doing today recovery wise. There are some necessary changes for Wednesday based on content requirements.

But for LA, I would not be surprised if both Jozy & Poz didn't make the trip. I would nail Bradley on as a "he's not missing this one no matter what" sort of thing.
    That’s quite possible. Oso and Mullins.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any tweaking Vanney does will be limited though, they are going all out for a home playoff date... unless Altidore is suspended of course.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pfk View Post
    Jozy could be up for a suspension as DISCO meets this week. https://www.wakingthered.com/2019/9/...ble-suspension
    Love Jozy and actually saw it coming... I think the bigger thing is that Abukaber got into his kitchen. Jozy needs to find the fine line between being pissed and amping it up and being pissed and out of control.

Jozy has a history of leg and feet injuries, Abukabar was hacking all game and playing with Jozy’s livelihood. One thing the league needs to do is to protect its stars, if he gets a supplemental Red it is a joke.

The league wouldn't let that happen to Vela.
    Last edited by Bushmancan; 09-17-2019 at 06:27 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    start our best, leave it all on the field, this is our mls cup
    How is this our MLS Cup? That basically is implying we don't actually have a shot, which we do lol

I don't know when Morrow is back, but if everyone is healthy this is our best lineup IMO. Note: Delgado+Auro out. Deleon to DM.

—————————Altidore
    ————Benezet—Pozuelo—-Osorio
    ————--——Bradley - Deleon
    ---Morrow - Mavinga - Gonzalez - Lareya
    ——————---—Westburg

That said, i'd rather a reserve squad go to LA and focus on Montreal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don’t care about Montreal. I want to see the best squad against LA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now that I think about it, perhaps it would be best in Vanney fields as low a grade team as possible against LA so their players don't know what it's like to face the real team until the MLS Cup Final (assuming the Reds get that far). Sure LAFC will have scouting footage leading up to the Final, but their players won't have the muscle memory of playing against the full-strength lineup. Then again, neither would TFC, so maybe a full-strength lineup is best after all.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Now that I think about it, perhaps it would be best in Vanney fields as low a grade team as possible against LA so their players don't know what it's like to face the real team until the MLS Cup Final (assuming the Reds get that far). Sure LAFC will have scouting footage leading up to the Final, but their players won't have the muscle memory of playing against the full-strength lineup. Then again, neither would TFC, so maybe a full-strength lineup is best after all.
    Kinda similar to what I was thinking. I would rather play the full A team if we met them in the playoffs. I would rather use more A team players to stomp Montreal versus risking our guys with fatigue and travel going to LA to play for what? Pride? All fine to play for pride when the circumstances allow it but in this case I am not sure it is worth it right now just before playoffs and a couple late season games against Eastern rivals.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CCL > 1 game against LAFC

Every damn day of the week

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CCL > 1 game against LAFC

Every damn day of the week
    Agree. But both can be managed this time around.

Canada cup requires 3 Canadians so Laryea, Osorio and probably one of Schaff/Fraser/Morgan will get the start giving a couple guys a break. Vanney said he looks to keep giving Bono and Mullins minutes in this tourney. So that's another couple guys to get a break. Still a good line up. Mtl has to play 3 Canadians too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Kinda similar to what I was thinking. I would rather play the full A team if we met them in the playoffs. I would rather use more A team players to stomp Montreal versus risking our guys with fatigue and travel going to LA to play for what? Pride? All fine to play for pride when the circumstances allow it but in this case I am not sure it is worth it right now just before playoffs and a couple late season games against Eastern rivals.
    The question is how badly do you want the first playoff game to be a home game?
    DC last game of the season is at home vs Cincinnati

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need CANCON requirements for Montreal anyways. Liam Fraser, Oso/Laryea and Morgan would satisfy it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wonder is we play Ciman for this game or Montreal. Either way he'll be playing against his former team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Q
    Auro-Omar-Mavinga-morrow
    Delgado-Bradley-Poz
    Endoh-Jozy-Gallardo

Kind of have to win this game to keep homefield.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    Q
    Auro-Omar-Mavinga-morrow
    Delgado-Bradley-Poz
    Endoh-Jozy-Gallardo

I'm pretty sure the lineup will be something like this. Vanney will go for at least 1 point from the match.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    Q
    Auro-Omar-Mavinga-morrow
    Delgado-Bradley-Poz
    Endoh-Jozy-Gallardo

To Manning & CO

CCL > Homefield advantage for 1 game in the playoffs

I think we see way more changes for this game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To Manning & CO

Yep. Looking at it financially. CCL (assuming we don't overlook our first round opponent again) would be 1-4 home games (most likely at least 2), while playoffs would be 1. Now attendence for CCL may not be high due to early month cold and playoffs can be slightly raised ticket prices. So depends on how far they think they can go. But CCL does have added benefits (extra allocation, revenue from tvdeal?)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To Manning & CO

Many supporters like myself see the CCL as much more important, but the casual fan and the media not so much. A home playoff game will bring much more "buzz" than a game against some random Caribbean team. Now winning the CCL would bring significant buzz, but as we've seen that's much more difficult than any MLS side has been able to overcome.

If I'm MLSE, I'm going to hope for a CCL run, but tell Vanney to prioritize playoffs. TFC has a legitimate chance to win the East, though probably not the Cup.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 09-19-2019 at 10:23 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Yep. Looking at it financially. CCL (assuming we don't overlook our first round opponent again) would be 1-4 home games (most likely at least 2), while playoffs would be 1. Now attendence for CCL may not be high due to early month cold and playoffs can be slightly raised ticket prices. So depends on how far they think they can go. But CCL does have added benefits (extra allocation, revenue from tvdeal?)

TFC needs to educate the general fan a lot more on CCL

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC gets more allocation with CCL then with a playoff game. Also much easier to sell the team to a potential player with the carrot of Champions League. Manning has made it clear - playoffs & CCL are both priorities. Playoffs is expected & probably attained now (would require us to lose out & Montreal to win out) - the CCL is in flux. They went with a slightly lesser line up last night to see how it would go & give some guys some rest. But, i they didn't take the Voyageur's seriiously, you would not have seen Poz & Jozy in for 45 last night nor seen basically all starters on the bench but Morgan.

LAFC points, like all Western away points, is a bonus. The league priority is the last 2 games, not this away trip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC gets more allocation with CCL then with a playoff game. Also much easier to sell the team to a potential player with the carrot of Champions League. Manning has made it clear - playoffs & CCL are both priorities. Playoffs is expected & probably attained now (would require us to lose out & Montreal to win out) - the CCL is in flux. They went with a slightly lesser line up last night to see how it would go & give some guys some rest. But, i they didn't take the Voyageur's seriiously, you would not have seen Poz & Jozy in for 45 last night nor seen basically all starters on the bench but Morgan.

LAFC points, like all Western away points, is a bonus. The league priority is the last 2 games, not this away trip.
    A home playoff game is worth millions though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All the starters play on Saturday night. Vanney said playing 45 min on a Wednesday night is equivalent to a mid week practice. Marky, Pozo & Jozy will all play 90. Bradley, Laryea will play 90. We didn't see Auro, Mavinga & Gonzales on Wed so they'll all play 90. Oso will come on as a sub Saturday as he played 90 Wed and will be needed to play another 90 next Wed. Morrow will be rested Saturday as he's come back from injury.

Q
    Laryea Gonzales Mavinga Auro
    Delgado Bradley Benezet
    Poz Jozy Gallardo

Also, everyone travels whether they play or not. These are Vanney's words. They travel as a team unless someone is obviously injured.