Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lennon View Post
    Why is everyone so mad. We played well. Killed them on the xG. Like a different team compared to what we saw in Columbus.
    Because we have given away far too many points with mediocre draws and not going for the jugular, Vanney again regressed and went defensive when we were up 1-0.
    !-0 is not a safe lead, especially in New England, they brought Fangundez into the game and I thought to myself we are going to lose 3 points and maybe come out with 1 point
    or a loss, that is why everyone is mad, we have the players but don't have the balls to win anymore. Management and coaching is the problem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Management and coaching have no accountability, i think we should consider showing TFC, we want to strive for better, the results should be a lot better as we spend so much salary on our club, maybe they should consider signing a better Manager(Curtis) and Coach(Vanney)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Because we have given away far too many points with mediocre draws and not going for the jugular, Vanney again regressed and went defensive when we were up 1-0.
    !-0 is not a safe lead, especially in New England, they brought Fangundez into the game and I thought to myself we are going to lose 3 points and maybe come out with 1 point
    or a loss, that is why everyone is mad, we have the players but don't have the balls to win anymore. Management and coaching is the problem

was my thought as well. Fact of the matter is we always look better on the offensive, even defensively. Take that away and youve got a rickety defense. Its not terrible but its prone to nonsense. Didnt help calls were crap. Still, its on us for not taking a full three.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That offside call shows why VAR is so disastrous. The goalie easily could have broken Gallardos leg - all because the assistant is instructed not to raise the flag to give VAR a chance to review. In normal play - ie since time immemorial - she raises the flag and the tackle doesn’t happen. What happens in a future one when the players leg is broken? It will happen.

The assistants need to be free to raise the flag if they are offside. As per normal. Referee the game, not the replay. In that case we might be upset but move on.

In this case, it is a travesty. The replays were absolutely clear. No offside. Red card. If we are going to be in a VAR world, we have to be in a VAR world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Add a Carlos Vela to this team, and we have a contender. Most MLS teams have interchangeable players, who are good at some things, and bad, at others. TFC is no different. There is mediocrity in parity, so one standout guy can, and often does, make all the difference. Sadly, our FO was too stupid to recognize this (yes, They should have given Seba that extension).
    I doubt Seba now can be the difference maker he was in 2015.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem wasn’t letting Seba go...it was not replacing him. We replaced Victor with Pozuelo..but lost our goal scoring depth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    The problem wasn’t letting Seba go...it was not replacing him. We replaced Victor with Pozuelo..but lost our goal scoring depth.
    Agreed, but also that the problem was planning to keep Seba, telling everyone you were going to keep Seba, and having to scramble when caught by surprise.

The roster isn’t well constructed. Poz replaces VV and blocks Oso but we only really have one striker (Mullins is doing ok but he isn’t a Seba replacement).

They are looking ok but without a goal scorer we are going to struggle for wins.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Agreed, but also that the problem was planning to keep Seba, telling everyone you were going to keep Seba, and having to scramble when caught by surprise.

The roster isn’t well constructed....
    3 mistakes

Did not see Victor going

Did not see Seba going

Thought Ciman fixed the defence

The 3rd one turned out to be the more disastrous for this season - a decent defence while working out the offence is the story of Philly this season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    3 mistakes

Did not see Victor going

Did not see Seba going

Thought Ciman fixed the defence

The 3rd one turned out to be the more disastrous for this season - a decent defence while working out the offence is the story of Philly this season.
    Totally

I can forgive not seeing VV going, in a way, as he was hurt so much anyway his loss has less of a practical impact. But not the other two.

Separately, looking at the standings, we should be able to be the “best of the rest” after NYCFC, Philly, and Atlanta. But we need to win games like last night, obviously.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going to pose this again, for my own sanity cause I can't stop thinking about that call: Do we know that the ref just didn't consider Turner's tackle worthy of a red? Goalkeeper challenges outside the box aren't mandatory dismissals anymore, are they? If he deemed it less than a red, VAR becomes moot. Slightly less aggravating if that is the case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    Going to pose this again, for my own sanity cause I can't stop thinking about that call: Do we know that the ref just didn't consider Turner's tackle worthy of a red? Goalkeeper challenges outside the box aren't mandatory dismissals anymore, are they? If he deemed it less than a red, VAR becomes moot. Slightly less aggravating if that is the case.
    I am very concerned that TFC is going to get screwed in the playoffs by refereeing favoring the USA teams and calls going against TFC deliberately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    I am very concerned that TFC is going to get screwed in the playoffs by refereeing favoring the USA teams and calls going against TFC deliberately.
    The one game off format means that one unlucky bounce can make all the difference between advancing or watching at home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strong effort that was overshadowed by a rare mistake from Westberg.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    That's not what happened. With VAR now, assistant referees (in MLS anyways) are being instructed to not raise their flag for offside on borderline calls until the sequence of play has been completed. This allows for potential VAR reviews on plays that were incorrectly flagged offside. If linesmen don't do this it creates an imbalance where every goal scored can be checked for a missed offside on VAR, but you can have onside scoring chances blown dead immediately by an incorrect offside call and there's nothing that can be done.

So what happens on borderline decisions and what happened here is the linesman saw the play, determined it was offside in the moment, then waited for the play to develop (Gallardo getting cleaned out) before raising her flag for the offside she had already thought she'd seen. Then the VAR checked the play in the booth and determined there was no clear and obvious error on the offside decision (debatable in my opinion based on some VAR offside reviews I've seen...) and so there was no video check by the head referee that was triggered.

What this means is everything after the pass was played to Gallardo effectively didn't happen. Once they've determined the play was offside, the only thing Turner could've been red-carded for was general violent conduct that would get you ejected at any point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking more broadly at the league last night, I don’t understand how the Union get their goal called back by VAR on what looks to be a marginally onside play or too close to call while we (under essentially the same circumstances) have no VAR review whatsoever?!?

This league needs to wake up and start doubling or tripling down on investing in officiating. We are getting what we pay for here and the inconsistency is maddening.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 09-01-2019 at 11:24 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default VAR on the Gallardo Play

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Looking more broadly at the league last night, I don’t understand how the Union get their goal called back by VAR on what looks to be a marginally onside play or too close to call while we (under essentially the same circumstances) have no VAR review whatsoever?!?
    I have two issues with the play, one on the field, one off the field.

There is no reason at all that the play should not have at least been stopped and reviewed. When Bradley took the touch and executed the pass, it was so close that it was mandatory that it should be reviewed.. in some circumstances, Gallardo onside, some not. Depending when you say it was released and if then they said offside, then maybe we are not so pissed. There is absolutely no way the linesman could have had at least a partially obstructed view of the entire play. Look at some of the marginal VAR calls on TFC at the beginning of the Year.

The second was KJ and Caldwell. Stop treating the viewing audience like we know nothing about football. More importantly they are the commentators for TFC and not the Revolution or MLS. You are not prepping for a job in England. Be a f—kin’ homer for once. If you believe the above scenario at all, you should be saying it and not being politically correct and rationalize a marginal no call at best.

No one is going to question your skills. Where is the Bob Cole of soccer when we need one?

As an aside, I really think the team is coming together and will click.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All things considered I thought the team played well yesterday. We’re missing that lethal finisher but I like the direction we’re going in.

Really disappointing that Q missed that one. It would have been huge to get that W and vault over top of NE. The pace on each wing is definitely creating more options for us. Looking forward to Cincinnati. Has to be a win there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is as close as I could pause it to the release off Bradley's foot.

I think #2 Farrell keeps him onside.

I'm amazed that not once did they pause the play in the KJ-Dunfield discussion. They played it in real speed like 3 times, never in slo-mo, never paused - I did it once. And it shows how it's a debatable call. By not doing it, it allows KJ to be correct, because there's never any evidence presented.
    Last edited by rydermike; 09-01-2019 at 11:49 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    I have two issues with the play, one on the field, one off the field.

There is no reason at all that the play should not have at least been stopped and reviewed. When Bradley took the touch and executed the pass, it was so close that it was mandatory that it should be reviewed.. in some circumstances, Gallardo onside, some not. Depending when you say it was released and if then they said offside, then maybe we are not so pissed. There is absolutely no way the linesman could have had at least a partially obstructed view of the entire play. Look at some of the marginal VAR calls on TFC at the beginning of the Year.

The second was KJ and Caldwell. Stop treating the viewing audience like we know nothing about football. More importantly they are the commentators for TFC and not the Revolution or MLS. You are not prepping for a job in England. Be a f—kin’ homer for once. If you believe the above scenario at all, you should be saying it and not being politically correct and rationalize a marginal no call at best.

No one is going to question your skills. Where is the Bob Cole of soccer when we need one?

As an aside, I really think the team is coming together and will click.
    listening to KJ at half time was nauseating. The way he was praising that female assistant referee, also on his twitter handle he has a tribute to his wife calling her the brilliant brunette baker. You can tell by these two things that he is a very gynocentric male. His gynocentrism in this case is blinding him from making a non biased decision. You should completely disregard what KJ says regarding this Gallardo play.
    Last edited by stevep; 09-01-2019 at 11:56 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    This is as close as I could pause it to the release off Bradley's foot.

I think #2 Farrell keeps him onside.

I'm amazed that not once did they pause the play in the KJ-Dunfield discussion. They played it in real speed like 3 times, never in slo-mo, never paused - I did it once. And it shows how it's a debatable call. By not doing it, it allows KJ to be correct, because there's never any evidence presented.
    good job! question does that female linesman have a headset in her ear?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good job! question does that female linesman have a headset in her ear?
    I always thought the linespeople have one to communicate with the central ref, while the central ref has one to communicate with both the linespeople and the VAR ref. The thing with offsides, is linemen are taught to look at the last defender/attacker and 'listen' for the sound of the pass. Problem is sound travels slower than light. So technically, they will hear the sound of the pass a split second late, causing an onside play to potenially be called offside by sound delay. Now, Gallardo could technically be offside by a whisker, as those EPL VAR offside calls recently have shown. But this freeze frame (which is slightly angled which obviously does not help), clearly shows that there is no way anyone can be 100% sure based on the eye test.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

listening to KJ at half time was nauseating. The way he was praising that female assistant referee, also on his twitter handle he has a tribute to his wife calling her the brilliant brunette baker. You can tell by these two things that he is a very gynocentric male. His gynocentrism in this case is blinding him from making a non biased decision. You should completely disregard what KJ says regarding this Gallardo play.
    Eegads.

Separately: I'll say it again, Paul Mariner, homer announcer for NE, thought Gallardo was onside due to Farrell. You can also see it from the longer diagonal view, with the ball just leaving Bradley's foot, and the shadows of the NFL markings showing Gallardo onside relative to Farrell. Remembering also, even should be onside.

Debatable whether they would call that "clear and obvious" enough to overturn the non-call. However I've seen calls overturned on more marginal evidence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I blame the terrible clearance right before just as much as Q. Not sure who cleared it, but he blasted it right to a NE player. Not side ways, not up , but a line drive.

Q let this one in. But this team is not sharp enough every where else on the field either

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    That's not what happened. With VAR now, assistant referees (in MLS anyways) are being instructed to not raise their flag for offside on borderline calls until the sequence of play has been completed. This allows for potential VAR reviews on plays that were incorrectly flagged offside. If linesmen don't do this it creates an imbalance where every goal scored can be checked for a missed offside on VAR, but you can have onside scoring chances blown dead immediately by an incorrect offside call and there's nothing that can be done.

So what happens on borderline decisions and what happened here is the linesman saw the play, determined it was offside in the moment, then waited for the play to develop (Gallardo getting cleaned out) before raising her flag for the offside she had already thought she'd seen. Then the VAR checked the play in the booth and determined there was no clear and obvious error on the offside decision (debatable in my opinion based on some VAR offside reviews I've seen...) and so there was no video check by the head referee that was triggered.

What this means is everything after the pass was played to Gallardo effectively didn't happen. Once they've determined the play was offside, the only thing Turner could've been red-carded for was general violent conduct that would get you ejected at any point.
    Wouldn't you at least get a yellow for a dangerous slide coming in late after a whistle? He could have broken his leg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Benezet is improving by the way, seems to be getting more comfortable. I liked what I saw from him. I'm not so convinced by Gallardo though.
    Agreed. I prefer endoh to Gallardo right now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    I always thought the linespeople have one to communicate with the central ref, while the central ref has one to communicate with both the linespeople and the VAR ref. The thing with offsides, is linemen are taught to look at the last defender/attacker and 'listen' for the sound of the pass. Problem is sound travels slower than light. So technically, they will hear the sound of the pass a split second late, causing an onside play to potenially be called offside by sound delay. Now, Gallardo could technically be offside by a whisker, as those EPL VAR offside calls recently have shown. But this freeze frame (which is slightly angled which obviously does not help), clearly shows that there is no way anyone can be 100% sure based on the eye test.
    ok, she initally kept the flag down, then what happened? did she raise the flag after the foul? if yes WTF is going on??
    Last edited by stevep; 09-01-2019 at 12:37 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy, Deleon, Osorio
    These are our goal scorers.
    These 3 need to see the field

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    Agreed. I prefer endoh to Gallardo right now
    Definitely on the other side of this. Endoh is fine off the bench but isn't a starting 11 calibre player for me. Gallardo has shown more in his runs, crosses and shots than Endoh ever has Imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, she initally kept the flag down, then what happened? did she raise the flag after the foul? if yes WTF is going on??
    They are told not to call offside on close calls until the end of the play. So once the play ended (foul) she said it was offside earlier

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    I blame the terrible clearance right before just as much as Q. Not sure who cleared it, but he blasted it right to a NE player. Not side ways, not up , but a line drive.

Q let this one in. But this team is not sharp enough every where else on the field either

Q also made an amazing save just two minutes earlier, but I wouldn’t mind seeing Bono in a league game.

Competition is good!