Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    Is there anything stat to backup a lot of your claims that turf is more dangerous? I highly doubt it, sure its ugly but lets not act like they will be playing on glass.
    Yes, there is lots of evidence that turf in general is bad for athlete but specifically the New England turf which is out of date and previously hurt our DP’s
    Last edited by MightyDM; 08-27-2019 at 03:36 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Yes, there is lots of evidence that turf in general is bad for athlete but specifically the Mew England turf which is out of date and previously hurt our DO’s
    Does NE have a high injury rate than other teams?

It just seems like if it were the case especially with the Patriots playing there, they would upgrade the field.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does NE have a high injury rate than other teams?

It just seems like if it were the case especially with the Patriots playing there, they would upgrade the field.
    The surface preferences of NFL and soccer are very different. As are the injury types (& frequency), and many other factors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    The surface preferences of NFL and soccer are very different. As are the injury types (& frequency), and many other factors.
    I think 4 out of 7 CPL teams play on turf. I haven’t noticed an increased rate of injury.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think 4 out of 7 CPL teams play on turf. I haven’t noticed an increased rate of injury.
    Not relevant to soccer.

The study about MLS that you quoted, looking at 2013 - 2016, is more interesting. I'll have a look. We should also have a look at other studies. (EDIT I've seen some incredibly crappy studies which were sponsored by the artificial turf industry. Not saying that's the case with the one you quoted, but certainly it is for many others.)

I have heard many pro soccer players say, they feel more tired playing on artificial turf. (That will depend on the exact composition of the plastic turf & infill; "softer" can be better for some things, but more tiring to run on.) Also temperature is a huge concern: in the summer heat, grass fields are measurably cooler. I don't know if anyone has been able to mimic the natural transpiration of grass, on artificial turf. Perhaps somebody is trying.

BTW the infill is a concern, among other things (although not for the occasional MLS away game on plastic). Here's one of many articles. Cork or other infill might be better, but much more expensive and less durable. https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...d10_story.html

In a way, it's decided. Most of the top footy leagues play only on grass or hybrid. As do all the men's international competitions. Many top players don't want to play on plastic. Especially in MLS, top players sit out games on plastic more often.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 08-27-2019 at 08:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Not relevant to soccer.

The study about MLS that you quoted, looking at 2013 - 2016, is more interesting. I'll have a look. We should also have a look at other studies. (EDIT I've seen some incredibly crappy studies which were sponsored by the artificial turf industry. Not saying that's the case with the one you quoted, but certainly it is for many others.)

I have heard many pro soccer players say, they feel more tired playing on artificial turf. (That will depend on the exact composition of the plastic turf & infill; "softer" can be better for some things, but more tiring to run on.) Also temperature is a huge concern: in the summer heat, grass fields are measurably cooler. I don't know if anyone has been able to mimic the natural transpiration of grass, on artificial turf. Perhaps somebody is trying.

BTW the infill is a concern, among other things (although not for the occasional MLS away game on plastic). Here's one of many articles. Cork or other infill might be better, but much more expensive and less durable. https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...d10_story.html

In a way, it's decided. Most of the top footy leagues play only on grass or hybrid. As do all the men's international competitions. Many top players don't want to play on plastic. Especially in MLS, top players sit out games on plastic more often.
    How is the CPL not relevant to soccer? LOL

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How is the CPL not relevant to soccer? LOL
    Sorry man, I mis-read that. I thought you said CFL teams.