Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    I gotta say I don't know if Colorado is the job I would want to try to get my head coaching career off the ground. All the best to him though and I hope it works out.
    Not his first head coaching gig; he had a couple of difficult years at Chivas USA, where Vanney was his assistant, if I recall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Not his first head coaching gig; he had a couple of difficult years at Chivas USA, where Vanney was his assistant, if I recall.
    Correct

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Yeah I meant a coaching gig that would serve as a jumping off point to bigger clubs, upwards momentum etc., not actually his first role. Not sure Colorado is the place. Similar to Chivas in that respect actually...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting backhanded compliment

https://twitter.com/plattoli/status/...206004224?s=21
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I think it might read that way in a tweet but is probably not how he meant it. I figure it's "he taught me so much", not "I doubted he'd be able to teach me anything".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    I think it might read that way in a tweet but is probably not how he meant it. I figure it's "he taught me so much", not "I doubted he'd be able to teach me anything".
    That's fair. It's impossible to say one way or the other, without context.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    That's fair. It's impossible to say one way or the other, without context.
    Given Fraser has known Vanney since Vanney came into MLS 20 years ago, I think its not backhanded - Vanney as a head coach (interesting about Berhalter) has taught Fraser stuff he didn't expect to learn from somebody who he known for so long & was his assistant at Chivas.

This also is setting up Colorado for change - he wants to move them to be a tactically nuanced team.

I get the feeling one of the reasons it took Fraser so long to commit to Colorado is he was negotiating how things were going to be run & how they were going to set up the team in the next 2 years. IF they give him even a medium size MLS budget with DP's that make sense (e.g. not a keeper), he might be able to make something out of that space. He's smart enough to use the altitude to advantage.

There is also a strong knowledgable soccer community in Denver that would support a more uptempo team, something more akin to 2019 MLS then 2009.