Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    Vanney would reinvent the wheel as a square to show people how forward-thinking he is. I'd be fine with his excessively analytical style if he was actually outcoaching opposing managers.

As for Bradley, we aren't in 2017 anymore. His quality has dipped considerably over the past two seasons. He's still a good MLS holding midfielder, but as far as bang-for-the-buck goes, it's not very good. The contract, as it stands in 2019, is bad, but he's still a low-end DP so exactly how much he earns isn't hugely impactful.
    I find it hard to assess Bradley’s value. His ability to cover ground and break up the play is still quite good. The question is, does that + leadership worth the money we are giving to a DP? Or does it make more sense to get a quality destroyer with TAM money and free up the DP spot for someone who can put the ball in the net?

Watching some of the better wingers who have just joined the league on higher salaries, there is considerable distance between what they can provide and what we can expect from Gallardo and Benezet on their best days.

Having someone who is as likely to fill the net as often Jozy or Pozuelo would be big in terms of improving the team.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 08-18-2019 at 11:05 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just watched the game and it was shameful. We honestly did not even deserve a tie.

For a long time, I was a fan of Vanney's but that time has passed. A few things I couldn't understand from a coaching perspective:
    -the starting line-up. He played a narrow, slow lineup
    -Vanney says he wants a fast attacking game, but then leaves any players with pace on the bench (Endoh, Shaff (not even on the bench), our two new TAM acquisitions)
    -positioning--what was the formation--what was Pozuelo doing, what was Osorio doing. Both have skills (Poz more than Osorio) but that formation didn't bring out the best in either of them
    -the substitutions--in a must win game, you bring on a slow defender (Moor) at the end of the game for a striker who wasn't having a bad game.
    -many have mentioned it, but I think Vanney has lost the locker room. The team is uninspired and unmotivated on the field. One of the coach's jobs is to inspire and fire up the team--Vanney can't seem to do that.

I am embarrassed, but when Columbus scored their second goal, my first thought was--well maybe they will finally get rid of Vanney now. If not for some lucky breaks in the other games, we would be close to out of it, even with the tie.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya'll gotta watch Jozy on the post game interview. Basic point is the attack isn't good enough when the midfield is dominating.

"We need those guys who we brought in to give us a lift."

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SKB View Post
    Reporter asked Vanney why he did not put any of they new players on the field and he indicated both are not good defensively and largely attack minded players. He thought they would be a liability on the field against Columbus. I would not call Columbus a juggernaut scoring machine. So clearly Vanney does not like the players brought in and they were not his choice. Or he has zero faith in the back line and holding mid player (Bradley). Vanney wants boring control based football not fast paced attacking football.
    That's not accurate.

Vanney has issues but warping off of 5 words of what was a 5 sentence response to this is ...well not accurate.

He expected to put them in tonight but they are not all that good defensivly and when the problem was the defence & getting possession, needed to plug that first. IF the team had been controlling the ball, they would have gone in.

Much bigger issue - team can't cross worth beans in Libbyland.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    That's not accurate.

Vanney has issues but warping off of 5 words of what was a 5 sentence response to this is ...well not accurate.

He expected to put them in tonight but they are not all that good defensivly and when the problem was the defence & getting possession, needed to plug that first. IF the team had been controlling the ball, they would have gone in.

Auro had a nice cross to Jozy for the goal. Morrow’s crosses have been awful this season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's not accurate.

there's also an argument to be said for putting in speedy attacking wingers to reduce pressure on the defence....they are TAM players after all - in my mind something is askew here. if they're fit you'd think they'd start. just seems odd to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    Auro had a nice cross to Jozy for the goal. Morrow’s crosses have been awful this season.
    Like I said in the transfer window convo a couple months back, if we’re TFC, I’d trade Morrow at the end of the season for some TAM/GAM, and bring in a new LB. You don’t want to wait to long to trade him, cause he’s starting to regress.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    Like I said in the transfer window convo a couple months back, if we’re TFC, I’d trade Morrow at the end of the season for some TAM/GAM, and bring in a new LB. You don’t want to wait to long to trade him, cause he’s starting to regress.
    That would be wise. Call me crazy but i think the shaff would be a nice modern day left back.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Co-sign with whoever said Fraser would be the easy answer as a coach. My second concern to Vanney going is who our FO replaces him with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Co-sign with whoever said Fraser would be the easy answer as a coach. My second concern to Vanney going is who our FO replaces him with.
    What about drew moor as coach?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't that like hiring Ryan Nelson? A player with no coaching experience?

Fraser is the obvious choice, he already knows the players and the club and had experience as head coach for Chivas USA.

Other assistants with experience that could be considered would be Kerry Zavagnin (currently with Sporting KC) and Pat Noonan (Philly).

After that you are rolling the dice with a young foreign coach willing to come to MLS. There's a few successes (that typically move on back to Europe or elsewhere once they make their mark) and a larger number of failures. Not sure you'd get long term success with that path but you might get a good year or two.

Or you could pull someone from the college ranks or USL. There's a few names out there. They won't have D1 experience though and not all of them will be a Bruce Arena.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't watch the game, but what I am reading is that we have capable players to play MLS style football, but have a coach that unispires and is living in a dreamworld studying ManCity, and trying to emulate Eruo football, we don't have the ability to do that.
    Last edited by Derko; 08-18-2019 at 02:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    A road draw is OK.

Three high quality goals (especially Santos, I don’t get why people are complaining about “allowing a goal in the first three minutes” when it's a sublime pass and first time volley of that caliber).

Only one to complain about. Bad luck on the second Columbus goal (it nicked Moor, which fooled Q) but Accam getting space like that on the counter is horrendous.
    Our fullbacks were caught up high, which left space behind out wide. Every team that instructs their fullbacks to push high are going to risk this kind of counter attacks. It’s why the 4-2-3-1 is so popular, with a pivot shielding the backline and allowing the CB to push to half space to contain an attack wide rather than cut inside.

Bradley is slowing down, Drew Moor is on the twilight of his career, Ciman is a bald fraud and Zavaleta is bang average on 250k. Two years is a lot of miles in footballing terms, and increased mileage will always create problems.

Father Time waits for nobody, and our aging backline has to answer to time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    Vanney would reinvent the wheel as a square to show people how forward-thinking he is. I'd be fine with his excessively analytical style if he was actually outcoaching opposing managers.

As for Bradley, we aren't in 2017 anymore. His quality has dipped considerably over the past two seasons. He's still a good MLS holding midfielder, but as far as bang-for-the-buck goes, it's not very good. The contract, as it stands in 2019, is bad, but he's still a low-end DP so exactly how much he earns isn't hugely impactful.
    The contract was 2014 - 2019. It cannot be said that it was a bad contract unless 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 were bad too - its one contract. And its impossible to argue that it was bad to bring Bradley here - he has been immense for this club . It was a fantastic signing.

Now, should they sign him to the same kind of contract for 2020 and beyond? Perhaps not. But thats a different issue entirely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fraser as interim would literally mean firing Vanney is just a wake up call to the team. It would represent no substantial change in tactics, style or philosophy.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting to read the Crew's Big Soccer forum. They are upset about the result too, they think their players played unmotivated. The only difference is that they are blaming the players instead of the coach. I did laugh at the title of their thread though:

ALERT! League-Mandated Rivalry Cup: Crew v Toronto Argonauts Co-Tenant FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Isn't that like hiring Ryan Nelson? A player with no coaching experience?

Fraser is the obvious choice, he already knows the players and the club and had experience as head coach for Chivas USA.

Other assistants with experience that could be considered would be Kerry Zavagnin (currently with Sporting KC) and Pat Noonan (Philly).

After that you are rolling the dice with a young foreign coach willing to come to MLS. There's a few successes (that typically move on back to Europe or elsewhere once they make their mark) and a larger number of failures. Not sure you'd get long term success with that path but you might get a good year or two.

Or you could pull someone from the college ranks or USL. There's a few names out there. They won't have D1 experience though and not all of them will be a Bruce Arena.
    How did SAN Jose get the coach from Guadalajara? Someone like that would be an upgrade.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Fraser as interim would literally mean firing Vanney is just a wake up call to the team. It would represent no substantial change in tactics, style or philosophy.
    At the moment that is all that is needed. This team is good enough. They just need a wake up call and fresh air. The team can look for a new coach during the off season.

I still can't believe after backing Vanney so hard that van der wiel might actually be right with his "you'll be fired before the end of the season" quote.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    At the moment that is all that is needed. This team is good enough. They just need a wake up call and fresh air. The team can look for a new coach during the off season.

I still can't believe after backing Vanney so hard that van der wiel might actually be right with his "you'll be fired before the end of the season" quote.
    Even if he was right, I still don’t want him back. Every stop he’s been at, problems arose. There’s a reason why he’s being a wasteman on his IG stories.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting to read the Crew's Big Soccer forum. They are upset about the result too, they think their players played unmotivated. The only difference is that they are blaming the players instead of the coach. I did laugh at the title of their thread though:
    ALERT! League-Mandated Rivalry Cup: Crew v Toronto Argonauts Co-Tenant FC
    I hate to admit it, that's a quality troll job! Murphy Malone couldn't have done better.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How did SAN Jose get the coach from Guadalajara? Someone like that would be an upgrade.
    San Jose is 6th place in their division. TFC is 9th. You fire your coach to move up 3 spots? Is the ex-Chivas coach really that amazingly better?

If Vanney gets us to 6th, then it follows from this reasoning that we should support him.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 08-18-2019 at 06:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

San Jose is 6th place in their division. TFC is 9th. You fire your coach to move up 3 spots? Is the ex-Chivas coach really that amazingly better?

If Vanney gets us to 6th, then it follows from this reasoning that we should support him.
    SAN Jose was terrible last year though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

God no. I have aspirations of Tata or Almeyda

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SAN Jose was terrible last year though.
    And have a crap team. Ask any supporters from Liga Mx, Chivas was middling to trash and he made them amazing. Doing the same with San Jose. I only dream of what he would do with our players

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

God no. I have aspirations of Tata or Almeyda
    Give me Gattusso

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's not accurate.

Your rebuttal makes zero sense, the point was that he did not bring the new signed players on, period. Saying he expected to put them but the situation did not dictate would be appropriate if they were tier 2 players or bench warmers. These are tier 1 Tam players they are not a game time decision. He does not have confidence in these new additions.

The team’s ability to cross has nothing to do with whether or not he plays these players are on the field? Perhaps the new players are betting at crossing, we cannot tell at this point because neither of them have played a full game in an MLS game.

Later on you remark about the lack of offence based on Jozy’s comments. These players were brought in to add speed and scoring capability yet they sit on the bench. So again your comments make zero sense.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SKB View Post
    Your rebuttal makes zero sense,.
    Well first of all, my point was your post wasn't accurate. The crossing stuff was an afterthought riffing on what Vanney said & the Altidore thing was totally seperate (and I actually didn't comment on that - just brought it out)

My main point was Vanney never said anything indicating something that you wrote

You said,

"So clearly Vanney does not like the players brought in and they were not his choice."

All I did was repeat what Vanney said which was quite the opposite. He expected to, wanted to and would have brought them in. He didn't because we had been forced into a weird defence when Morrow went down & then the team needed to plug defensive holes (in his mind) - that's why I linked to the actual video.

People can make up their own minds about the veracity of the comments but nothing in that indicates Vanney doesn't rate the Tam dudes and won't play them at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clever name for a thread I must say. But they play in an absolute dump. I don't care if it's the original SSS. 10 years ago it was still intriguing but barely.

And Big Soccer.... Is Bill Archer still alive? I stll remember their rivalries section. It was like crazy people smearing feces on canvases. Just chaos.
    Last edited by Brooker; 08-18-2019 at 11:04 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post

And Big Soccer.... Is Bill Archer still alive? I stll remember their rivalries section. It was like crazy people smearing feces on canvases. Just chaos.
    Inquiring minds...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    Clever name for a thread I must say. But they play in an absolute dump. I don't care if it's the original SSS. 10 years ago it was still intriguing but barely.

Bill Archer is still alive but much less prominent these days. He occasionally comments in threads and doesn't focus on hating Toronto like he did in the past.

There's a plan for an improved stadium for 2021, but there's no escaping that no matter how nice their stadium is, it's still in Columbus.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 08-19-2019 at 06:44 AM.