Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Attendance was 12, 683. Lower that I would have thought but hey it is what it is considering many factors.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good game overall. Attendance didn't bother me, although I admit there's something way off with TFC's marketing especially for these cup games. Supporters section was loud & proud, heard well throughout the stadium.

The performances by Deleon, Endoh, Fraser and Mullins were some of the high points. I'm warming up to the Mullins trade a bit more. He won't do as much against MLS opposition as he did vs Ottawa, and his miss near the start of the away leg was embarrassing. But it really helps if your backup forward plays with high energy, which Mullins has shown the last 2-3 times he has come on.

Bono had some of his old moments, but a couple of times I felt he's learned a bit from Q. Some situations where he obviously knew where he wanted to put the ball before he even received it, and he was able to execute quick accurate passes or throws to an open TFC player.

Defence was just OK against an Ottawa side that didn't offer much. Moor still showing some rust and/or age with a couple of bad passes, which used to be rare for him. And while defending, I think the whole crew allowed Ottawa more quality chances than they deserved. MLS sides would put a couple of those away.

Was Osorio the highest-paid player on the pitch last night? (I'm not sure yet about Gallardo's total cap hit.) I don't think player stats are available for this game, but... That's the kind of game where Osorio should be taking charge, controlling the game, and threatening the net, considering his pay and tenure. Instead Deleon did. I actually forgot Osorio was playing until the first half was almost over, and then he was subbed off at half.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Good game overall. Attendance didn't bother me, although I admit there's something way off with TFC's marketing especially for these cup games. Supporters section was loud & proud, heard well throughout the stadium.

The performances by Deleon, Endoh, Fraser and Mullins were some of the high points. I'm warming up to the Mullins trade a bit more. He won't do as much against MLS opposition as he did vs Ottawa, and his miss near the start of the away leg was embarrassing. But it really helps if your backup forward plays with high energy, which Mullins has shown the last 2-3 times he has come on.

Bono had some of his old moments, but a couple of times I felt he's learned a bit from Q. Some situations where he obviously knew where he wanted to put the ball before he even received it, and he was able to execute quick accurate passes or throws to an open TFC player.

Defence was just OK against an Ottawa side that didn't offer much. Moor still showing some rust and/or age with a couple of bad passes, which used to be rare for him. And while defending, I think the whole crew allowed Ottawa more quality chances than they deserved. MLS sides would put a couple of those away.

Was Osorio the highest-paid player on the pitch last night? (I'm not sure yet about Gallardo's total cap hit.) I don't think player stats are available for this game, but... That's the kind of game where Osorio should be taking charge, controlling the game, and threatening the net, considering his pay and tenure. Instead Deleon did. I actually forgot Osorio was playing until the first half was almost over, and then he was subbed off at half.
    i think that was a pretty solid assessment, it wasn’t the best quality game but a beautiful night and wearing shorts, beats the February parka, which is what we are playing for to be the Canada entry into the CCL after all

(btw we need a TFC winter parka emoji)

I thought Laryea had a solid game, fearless in the final third but still disappears defensively and is getting better there (which says a lot, considering he is a right back). It was good to see Gallardo tracking back when the occasional walkabout happened.

As per Gallardo, I liked him but felt he was feeling some jitters and he needs to learn to shoot but I think that will come. I really liked his quick inside cut with his dribbling to open up space. He wasn’t spectacular by any means and missed at least two/three quality chances but if he gets confidence, I think he will surely help.

One thing that still concerns me is how easily we get burned every game with a timed run blasting right through our defensive line (that has to be coaching). Ottawa’s number 10 was sent in completely free and alone in the first half with the back line just watching. Bono came out and challenged and made a good save but a MLS striker scores and the games complexion changes.

COYRs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would worry about Gallardo yet. He's still finding his feet, looked hesitant and nervous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laryea continues to look good. Deleon showed his experience. Fraser looked good too.

Whoever said that these are the games Osorio should be head and shoulders above others was right. He’s been anonymous in MLS games and he can’t even turn up against USL opposition. That new contract wasn’t a brilliant idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    I would worry about Gallardo yet. He's still finding his feet, looked hesitant and nervous.
    And yet Vanney is crucified for not starting him last Saturday...we're all so full of anxious TFC PTSD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Zavaleta looked poor and gave ample reason to nail him to the bench for anything higher than a USL side.
    Yup but "Nephewtism" is gonna keep him on the TFC bench. He's not an MLS level player.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    One thing that still concerns me is how easily we get burned every game with a timed run blasting right through our defensive line (that has to be coaching).
    I wonder if the problem is with one of Vanney's assistants (who would be tasked with defensive drills) or with Vanney himself (for choosing his nephew to play when it's clear he's not good enough).

Is it a training issue or a personnel issue?

In favour of personnel, it also looks like Drew Moor is ready to retire. Despite reading the game really well, He's lost too much of a step to keep up.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 08-15-2019 at 09:12 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by samuraizero View Post
    Yup but "Nephewtism" is gonna keep him on the TFC bench. He's not an MLS level player.
    He's not on the bench anymore for MLS games - that's Ciman. Zavs is in the Cup games for rotation, as is Moor, truth be known.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know that he is new and needs to adjust, but I was not that impressed with Gallardo. He skyed the ball twice, and one was an absolute sitter. His movement up and down the line was OK, but not great. And he had a good cross or two, but nothing spectacular. I actually thought Laryea created more offence than he did (including one goal), even though Laryea was playing as right back and had a few defensive miscues.

Overall, certainly not a TAM-level player in my view. Maybe he has more potential, but as some on the board have suggested, maybe the reason that Vanney isn't playing him is because he isn't that good. I really hope that is not the case.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It takes at least 5 games to be able to judge a player.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by samuraizero View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    He's not on the bench anymore for MLS games - that's Ciman. Zavs is in the Cup games for rotation, as is Moor, truth be known.
    Exactly. Zavaleta hasn't seen the field or the bench in MLS games since Houston. Ciman and Moor together would have been too slow, so I was OK with Zavaleta playing against Ottawa. (However I think then the whole team formation and playing style should work to shield the defence better, which didn't happen in some key moments. But overall they survived well.)

Really interesting will be to see which defenders Vanney uses for the cup final games vs Montreal, which will be tougher opposition.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats to Noble on becoming last night the 216th player to have played at least one game for the Reds. Great to see a Canadian like him getting an opportunity.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure if it was mentioned yet, Drew Moor actually played a nice role in the 2nd goal, after the corner kick. Morrow headed the ball back in, and Moor redirected it with his hip to Deleon, who then set up Mullins for the goal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Exactly. Zavaleta hasn't seen the field or the bench in MLS games since Houston. Ciman and Moor together would have been too slow, so I was OK with Zavaleta playing against Ottawa. (However I think then the whole team formation and playing style should work to shield the defence better, which didn't happen in some key moments. But overall they survived well.)

Really interesting will be to see which defenders Vanney uses for the cup final games vs Montreal, which will be tougher opposition.
    Right.

Playing a CB other than Zavaleta in the second leg of a Canadians Cup game against USL opponents when the aggregate is already 2-0 is the wrong decision, and I’m not a Zavaleta fan.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    Right.

Playing a CB other than Zavaleta in the second leg of a Canadians Cup game against USL opponents when the aggregate is already 2-0 is the wrong decision, and I’m not a Zavaleta fan.
    I'm reading you didn't want to waste playing Zav on this match. If that's what you mean- who then? Dunn-Johnson a shout again?
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I'm reading you didn't want to waste playing Zav on this match. If that's what you mean- who then? Dunn-Johnson a shout again?
    I think you misread, but I’m ESL so it could be that as well.

I meant if you’re paying Zavaleta then this is the perfect match for him; complaining about Zavaleta starting a Canadian Cup match against a USL opponent when we’re ahead 2-0 on aggregate is kind of silly.

Sorry for the confusion.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    I think you misread, but I’m ESL so it could be that as well.

I meant if you’re paying Zavaleta then this is the perfect match for him; complaining about Zavaleta starting a Canadian Cup match against a USL opponent when we’re ahead 2-0 on aggregate is kind of silly.

Sorry for the confusion.
    Got it and totally agree.

I don't dislike the player but he needs to prove himself somewhere else.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER