Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcfans View Post
    I think some people are equating "quitting the team" or "stop supporting the team" as the only reason why some would drop ST. I would suggest in this economy (especially when many are working in jobs with little to no long-term security) there are a multitude of reasons why someone may drop ST and be no less of a fan - maybe finances or life situations (people get sick, have to take care of loved ones, get married, have a child, move away, etc.) are the real reason behind some dropping the seats and the frustration of venting about the team on here, is their means of dealing with what might be a difficult life situation elsewhere - ie. I'll vent about this stuff (including potentially dropping their ST) becuase this is ultimately just "entertainment" and not a "real life" thing (in fact its a distraction from real life in most cases) -- and this is a "bad thing" I can "punish" - while an illness or unemployment may be harder to "punish".....most of us are anonymous posters on this board - and we only see 1% or less of the person behind the posts in most cases ---- I have been fortunate to meet and get to know some of the people here as I have been a Year One member of RPB and there are lots of great people who have come and gone through the group and even through my section as a STH (I'm sure some are still big fans and others maybe not) - sometimes "stuff" happens in their lives that we aren't privy to, so I try to take all of the things I see on here (and the internet in general) with a HUGE grain of salt....

I laugh about this sometimes as a few years ago, the couple with the ST beside me who were regular attendees started to come less and less and I wondered if they had given up their seats as they seemed like "big fans" --- a few years later they reappeared with a baby in tow (and named him Gio!) and it all made sense -- I had no idea as to why they weren't coming to the games, I guess they were busy with more important stuff.....
    Yeah always good not to judge because you don't know anyone's circumstances.

I bought seasons in second season in 2008. It was great to have MLS soccer in Toronto. Did my roadtrips to watch them as well. Life was good. My wife then got sick with a permanent and terrible illness and had to go on disability. Losing all that income and gaining huge medical bills for the last 10 years does some damage and causes one to redo their mortgage a few times as the debt piles up. My trips to BMO Field on game day was my vacation away from it all for a few hours and therapy for me actually. My family wanted to attend more games with me as a family so we added the extra pair beside my original pair and it worked out for a couple seasons but now my wife is sicker and makes it to less games and my daughter stays with her at home especially for the colder games because my wife's illness can't handle it. Now that medical bills are getting even bigger in recent years and the kids are on the brink of being 18 so we will lose more income plus they need to go to university it will be a bigger hit to our finances soon enough and every penny counts to keep life afloat. I am not saying this to everyone as a "pity poor me" story or anything but I am saying this because nobody would know my situation but may be quick to judge if I said I was giving up my seats. In my conversations about it with some fans I know I have already heard about how cheap my tickets are compared to other season tickets for other sports and how crazy or stupid I am if I am ever giving them up. I have been asked why I am not a fan anymore. Giving up seasons is nothing to do with being a fan or not. One thing I learned from our tough life in the last decade is that you can't judge anyone based on outward appearance because you never know what is going on at home. I would be at the stadium if I could win or lose every day of the season if I could. I just might be forced out by life's circumstances even at the good prices I have. That is just life and it is not the same for everyone. Giving up my seasons would be a hard pill to swallow for my whole family because it will just be one more thing we have to lose due to my wife's illness and situation. I will see what happens when the pricing comes out.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No way but if they drastically raise prices , with the same disregard for game day experience , ( the stadium is basically bare bones ) , with boring EXPENSIVE food and DRINK ,and now the big worry , from ahole mgmt let’s all hug the Argos , this in the future could b troublesome . TFC seems to be less important than the ‘never pay’ but always get subsidized ARGOS . I go for soccer , but MLS is interested in the US only and the big cities ( to them ) . I’d love to have more Canadians in the mgmt that have a soccer (not American) heritage . BTW if Bradley stays and gets big bucks , that may tip the iceberg, we’d b signing our way into a lengthy mediocrity.....we need a knowledgeable aggressive mgmt .....NOT these mgmt muppets .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    This weird north American culture (correct me if I'm wrong, but definitely don't see this so much in Europe) of cancelling season tickets, and telling everyone you're doing it, as 'punishment' for the team not winning is bizarre to me as a European. If it's too much financially I absolutely get it, but beyond that, if the team is making an effort to win and not just milk the fans for money (and their spend is the only metric worth looking at here) then you can't ask for more. The team can't win every year, signings won't work out, coaches won't work out etc, but surely the main thing is just having a team to support. If you're going to cancel and ignore the team when they lose I don't see how you can get any enjoyment when they win
    Right. You’re more likely to see protests, in game banners, etc. than talk of not renewing tickets. Your football club could be a deeply-rooted part of your identity, it could be something cultural or political too.

“Hit them in their pocketbook to show them I’m angry even if the money I spend means nothing and I’m not actually hurting their bottom line” is pretty North American. It’s “I want to speak to the manager” culture. It’s slacktivism (which isn’t exclusive to NA either).

Like I said before, if it’s for value of money and your entertainment budget is too high or not worth it, that’s perfectly normal. If life circumstances prevent it, that’s cool too.

Complaining ad nauseum and acting like your defiant act of not renewing is going to hurt their bottom line, or, even more hilariously, their feelings, is a bit out there.

It’s the equivalent of being angry at Facebook, deleting your account, and using Messenger or Instagram while feeling righteous about your decision.

Or being angry at Nestle for being a hideously disgusting corporation and refusing to buy their bottled water while eating a Nestle chocolate bar.

Misguided pseudo-righteous anger is just silly. If everyone canceled their tickets because of the last two years MLSE would just stop flushing their money down the toilet. That’s how you end up with DP leftbacks, a 34-year-old Luke Moore as our starting striker, and a rotating roster of cheap domestics who can’t perform but are at least cheap.

MLSE doesn’t care about some random person posting angry messages on an Internet forum like it’s their job.

Write them a letter, or, you know, do something that will actually bring about the change you want.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    Haha. I've been studying this issue today.
    Do you use Kijiji? Craigslist?
    StubHub, ticketsnow takes too much money on both sides of the transaction.
    Kills all profit
    Usually I just dial random phone numbers until I find someone who wants to buy them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That we seem to pay more weeknight and Sunday evenings than weekend games like we used to, certainly gives me pause. Not the results.

The Panama game was fine, if you dressed for it. I was warmer for that than our late-seasons MLS playoff games ... snowpants and long underwear. Didn't look very cool though ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    Usually I just dial random phone numbers until I find someone who wants to buy them.
    Cryptic posters on streetlights and utility poles is my go-to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By far the best sports experience and most affordable in town. Season seat holder since year 2 and will always be.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if anyone has seasons in sections 112-114 and isnt renewing would happy to buy em off you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    My tickets are worth a lot more than my cost for both Orlando and impact games.

What is this transfer to Ticketmaster option?
    Does this cost me anything?

Looking good for renewal. Just gotta figure out the logistics of it all.
    Just gotta cut out the middleman ticketsnow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is my team through thick and thin and I am not going anywhere. I have seen much darker days from this team than what we are currently going through and did not turn my back on them and I see no reason to now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    Right. You’re more likely to see protests, in game banners, etc. than talk of not renewing tickets. Your football club could be a deeply-rooted part of your identity, it could be something cultural or political too.

“Hit them in their pocketbook to show them I’m angry even if the money I spend means nothing and I’m not actually hurting their bottom line” is pretty North American. It’s “I want to speak to the manager” culture. It’s slacktivism (which isn’t exclusive to NA either).

Like I said before, if it’s for value of money and your entertainment budget is too high or not worth it, that’s perfectly normal. If life circumstances prevent it, that’s cool too.

Complaining ad nauseum and acting like your defiant act of not renewing is going to hurt their bottom line, or, even more hilariously, their feelings, is a bit out there.

It’s the equivalent of being angry at Facebook, deleting your account, and using Messenger or Instagram while feeling righteous about your decision.

Or being angry at Nestle for being a hideously disgusting corporation and refusing to buy their bottled water while eating a Nestle chocolate bar.

Misguided pseudo-righteous anger is just silly. If everyone canceled their tickets because of the last two years MLSE would just stop flushing their money down the toilet. That’s how you end up with DP leftbacks, a 34-year-old Luke Moore as our starting striker, and a rotating roster of cheap domestics who can’t perform but are at least cheap.

MLSE doesn’t care about some random person posting angry messages on an Internet forum like it’s their job.

Write them a letter, or, you know, do something that will actually bring about the change you want.
    Like the 7th paragraph
    Makes a lot of sense.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is this transfer to Ticketmaster option?
    Does this cost me anything?
    Transfer to Ticketmaster is free, and you can cancel it at any time and if you do so your tickets come back into your account and can be used or transferred to anyone. HOWEVER, they charge a fee if they do sell through ticketmaster. They are upfront about any fees.

If you aren't scalping you can sell on the board here, fee free, in the ticket trader section. That way you can ensure that the tickets go to supporters. Obviously that's your choice.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 08-07-2019 at 06:57 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Transfer to Ticketmaster is free, and you can cancel it at any time and if you do so your tickets come back into your account and can be used or transferred to anyone. HOWEVER, they charge a fee if they do sell through ticketmaster. They are upfront about any fees.

If you aren't scalping you can sell on the board here, fee free, in the ticket trader section. That way you can ensure that the tickets go to supporters. Obviously that's your choice.

I remember a few years ago say 4 years ago, there was a ticket selling section on this board, I remember tickets sold fast.
    Haven't seen that section on this board in a long time, didn't know it still existed. thank you for the information

fyi: for two tickets
    Orlando game my cost $196 going asking price $240
    MTL game my cost $196 going asking price $300

would like to test this ticketmaster thing out but want to go to these games

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember a few years ago say 4 years ago, there was a ticket selling section on this board, I remember tickets sold fast.
    Haven't seen that section on this board in a long time, didn't know it still existed. thank you for the information
    Coming from out of town I use it for most midweek games and usually have pretty good success. I'm in section 111 though, so more like $50/pair than your prices. Pretty much the only stipulation is you post face value (not our cost) of the ticket and don't try and charge above it.
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's here, rule is that you can sell above cost but not above Face value (the amount printed on your physical tickets): http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/forumdisplay.php?15-Ticket-Trader
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have been SSH since day one and will always be SSH. I really enjoy it, even with its up and downs. It's so affordable. Why would we not be SSH.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do those prices include the TM fees? On a 100$ ticket the fee is 20$. Also factor in that TM takes a 10% cut on the listing, so if you post your ticket for 100$ you only net 90$ and the buyer will see the cost at 120$.

I haven't been able to make it out to the games the past months so have sold a lot.
    I tracked the outcome, 24 tickets sold at an average of 33$. My cost is 40$ so taking a loss on average. I also failed to sell a few so my losses are greater than that.

I don't think its possible to make a profit unless the team is red hot or the tickets are yellow or light greys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post
    Do those prices include the TM fees? On a 100$ ticket the fee is 20$. Also factor in that TM takes a 10% cut on the listing, so if you post your ticket for 100$ you only net 90$ and the buyer will see the cost at 120$.

I haven't been able to make it out to the games the past months so have sold a lot.
    I tracked the outcome, 24 tickets sold at an average of 33$. My cost is 40$ so taking a loss on average. I also failed to sell a few so my losses are greater than that.

I don't think its possible to make a profit unless the team is red hot or the tickets are yellow or light greys.
    The numbers I posted were eliminating ticketsnow.
    I have similar experiences to you, lost money after TM. Couldn't sell tickets to KC game.
    Nobody wanted them.

It's a scenario where too expensive to buy tickets on TM but lose money if you sell in TM.
    That's what makes this such a tough business decision.

Have you tried to cut out ticketsnow?
    There are scalpers at the game and on Kijiji so it must be profitable or they would not do it

Agreed, with TM you cannot make a profit
    Last edited by stevep; 08-07-2019 at 02:37 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dropped my tickets in 2017. Last live game was on 9 Dec 2017. Still feeling the excitement of that night, and am so happy that I have not been to BMO since. MLS is not a very entertaining league unless your home team is a contender. For those of you comparing my experience with Europe, I should remind you that the presence of relegation and the opportunities to watch world class competition is a far cry from watching most of the shit teams in MLS
    Last edited by 69Chevy396; 08-07-2019 at 04:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    I dropped my tickets in 2017. Last live game was on 9 Dec 2017. Still feeling the excitement of that night, and am so happy that I have not been to BMO since. MLS is not a very entertaining league unless your home team is a contender. For those of you comparing my experience with Europe, I should remind you that the presence of relegation and the opportunities to watch world class competition is a far cry from watching most of the shit teams in MLS
    Most of Europe, including where I'm from, is far from world class competition and there is nothing entertaining about being in a relegation battle. You just don't see supporters spamming every thread with pride about how they cancelled their season tickets as punishment because their team isn't currently the best team. It's just a different culture and I always find it a culture shock when I see it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of Europe, including where I'm from, is far from world class competition and there is nothing entertaining about being in a relegation battle. You just don't see supporters spamming every thread with pride about how they cancelled their season tickets as punishment because their team isn't currently the best team. It's just a different culture and I always find it a culture shock when I see it
    I appreciate your views. I have never been ultra serious about sports entertainment, always preferring playing a game, than watching others do it. when I was young, I was a very good cyclist, and in the absence of family responsibilities, I could have pursued it further. I would regularly ride hundreds of KM per week, Feb -Dec, until my balls almost fell off. I also played hockey as a kid and teenager, making it to what is now AA or AAA. Why am I telling you this? Because I never watch pro cycling, and haven’t been to a Leafs game since they beat the Bruins 7-0 about 10 years ago. Never played serious soccer, but always prefer watching it over any other sport. Pure athleticism. Simplicity of the game. The remarkable vision and creativity....that is how I embraced TFC....I was never interested in attaching my hip to the team emotionally, but it did occur in 2017. In short, I like soccer, played well, by good players. You may find that sentiment shared by many of the “casual” fans who no longer go to BMO....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Renewing but hoping for fewer night time "winter" games. Having more than half your home games before the end of June is pathetic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i am renewing. But the point made by sidvan is important - why night games in March and April? And for me it was easier to go to soccer with 3pm kick offs. I know its all for TV now, including VAr, but give something back to the supporters who actually attend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    i am renewing. But the point made by sidvan is important - why night games in March and April? And for me it was easier to go to soccer with 3pm kick offs. I know its all for TV now, including VAr, but give something back to the supporters who actually attend.
    I think you can blame TSN for the evening March/April games. It's much nicer to watch games with some sun. It may not be quite warm, but it beats dark cold early spring.

Having said that, I do enjoy evening games in the summer. Baking in 30+ degrees with little to no shade is not my idea of fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No one is spamming the thread saying they are cancelling as punishment for they're team not being very good.
    My point is this team is very good when the starters play and entertaining but the starters hardly ever play.
    We are paying top dollar to watch usl players.
    Have to decide if it is worth it.

Also paying for a game in -20c that I have no desire to go to or no desire to go to the Ottawa game but I have to pay for it.
    Btw, both those two games the resale value is close to zero. So a lot of other people don't want to go either

What it comes down to is value for your money.
    Another way of looking at it is if prices were double what they are today would you still pay it?
    If prices were half of what they are today would you still pay it?

Looking at the Orlando and Montreal games good seats are very expensive and there are very few good seats available. Lotta crappy seats but very few really good seats.
    Last edited by stevep; 08-09-2019 at 12:06 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No one is spamming the thread saying they are cancelling as punishment for they're team not being very good.
    My point is this team is very good when the starters play and entertaining but the starters hardly ever play.
    We are paying top dollar to watch usl players.
    Have to decide if it is worth it.

Also paying for a game in -20c that I have no desire to go to or no desire to go to the Ottawa game but I have to pay for it.
    Btw, both those two games the resale value is close to zero. So a lot of other people don't want to go either

What it comes down to is value for your money.
    Another way of looking at it is if prices were double what they are today would you still pay it?
    If prices were half of what they are today would you still pay it?

Looking at the Orlando and Montreal games good seats are very expensive and there are very few good seats available. Lotta crappy seats but very few really good seats.
    The story has changed though.

This thread maybe existed in your consciousness during those cold games, but it appeared in the middle of a hot summer. Maybe it existed during the couple of games they threw to try to win CCL, but it wasn’t posted then. We rarely see USL players otherwise (unless you’re speaking figuratively).

Injuries are a fact of the game (and our situation has been awful), as is playing backups, as are national team call-ups, etc. The schedule isn’t decided by the teams in its entirety, and unfortunately the schedule requires terrible cold games (much as it does terrible hot, humid games in Texas or Florida) because of geography.

Ability to resell seats and the price you get for them really shouldn’t be included in the conversation, firstly because it’s not the reason you buy seasons in the first place unless you’re a subpar human being, and secondly because scalping tickets to TFC games isn’t a sound investment strategy. What you want is to bot concerts and festivals that are bound to be sold out, or get into sneaker resale or something.

Everyone here has said that if you don’t find it worth the money or can’t afford it, then by all means give them up.

Complaining about things the team can’t change, or that you can’t scalp your tickets to a sub-zero game or that you don’t want to pay for a game against Ottawa — I’m thinking maybe you aren’t a person who should buy season tickets. The things you’re complaining about are reasons to NOT get seasons in the first place.

If performance is your singular indicator for whether to buy tickets or not, most of us were here when the team was 1,000 times worse and without much hope.

We complain because we are TFC fans and supporters. If we supported this team when they were objectively shit, why would we stop now?

You can be a supporter who only supports the team when they’re good, or when the weather is nice, or whatever. That’s your prerogative.

But, as Marie Kondo says, you have to decide whether your season tickets “spark joy” or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I spent $250 tonight for this shitshow. really boring game

#vanneyout

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I spent $250 tonight for this shitshow. really boring game

#vanneyout
    Maybe get cheaper seasons then?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flambe View Post
    Maybe get cheaper seasons then?

I can't, they are really good seats right in the middle of the field the perfect height up from the field on the east side,
    at a lower price point than the lower seats, they are a couple rows up from row 18 where price goes up a lot
    that $250 included beer, popcorn and parking.
    If i give them up I fear I will never get them back again, but on the other hand I feel like an idiot for spending my money on this.
    It is a tough life

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This weird north American culture (correct me if I'm wrong, but definitely don't see this so much in Europe) of cancelling season tickets, and telling everyone you're doing it, as 'punishment' for the team not winning is bizarre to me as a European. If it's too much financially I absolutely get it, but beyond that, if the team is making an effort to win and not just milk the fans for money (and their spend is the only metric worth looking at here) then you can't ask for more. The team can't win every year, signings won't work out, coaches won't work out etc, but surely the main thing is just having a team to support. If you're going to cancel and ignore the team when they lose I don't see how you can get any enjoyment when they win
    Nailed it
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER