Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    The story has changed though.

This thread maybe existed in your consciousness during those cold games, but it appeared in the middle of a hot summer. Maybe it existed during the couple of games they threw to try to win CCL, but it wasn’t posted then. We rarely see USL players otherwise (unless you’re speaking figuratively).

Injuries are a fact of the game (and our situation has been awful), as is playing backups, as are national team call-ups, etc. The schedule isn’t decided by the teams in its entirety, and unfortunately the schedule requires terrible cold games (much as it does terrible hot, humid games in Texas or Florida) because of geography.

Ability to resell seats and the price you get for them really shouldn’t be included in the conversation, firstly because it’s not the reason you buy seasons in the first place unless you’re a subpar human being, and secondly because scalping tickets to TFC games isn’t a sound investment strategy. What you want is to bot concerts and festivals that are bound to be sold out, or get into sneaker resale or something.

Everyone here has said that if you don’t find it worth the money or can’t afford it, then by all means give them up.

Complaining about things the team can’t change, or that you can’t scalp your tickets to a sub-zero game or that you don’t want to pay for a game against Ottawa — I’m thinking maybe you aren’t a person who should buy season tickets. The things you’re complaining about are reasons to NOT get seasons in the first place.

If performance is your singular indicator for whether to buy tickets or not, most of us were here when the team was 1,000 times worse and without much hope.

We complain because we are TFC fans and supporters. If we supported this team when they were objectively shit, why would we stop now?

You can be a supporter who only supports the team when they’re good, or when the weather is nice, or whatever. That’s your prerogative.

But, as Marie Kondo says, you have to decide whether your season tickets “spark joy” or not.
    OMG

Seriously. Thank you.

Know that your post has sparked joy.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ive heard a lot of talk of not renewing in my area of the stadium.
    I think a big part is just people getting older, families, etc.
    The supporters section experience is much tamer that it was 7 years ago when my group started.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it already that time? The should I renew thread? I can't wait to see the conclusion!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After reading the comments (and knowing there is really no such thing as a season ticket price protest in North America), I usually evaluate my decision every year on several questions over a number of factors:

Ability to attend games
    - How many games can I personally attend?
    - Since I have more than one seat, will I be able to sell the other seat to someone? Or recover price paid on games that can't be attended?

Price/Affordability
    - How much are my seats going to cost next year
    - what is the growth rate of that price, year over year and since my inception?
    - has team performance (see below) justified price increase?

Team performance (This is a fair argument to management, since protests don't happen)
    - Is management doing what they promised?
    - Is the coach getting the most out of his selections and tactics based on what he's been given?
    - Are the players performing up to their abilities, within reason?

Letting go of your SSH doesn't mean you are no longer a supporter. There is no rule saying that you have to be an SSH to be a supporter. There are many reasons why you can let go of seats. If team performance isn't something that you consider in your evaluation, great, that's fine. For some, asking yourself whether you're getting what you're paying for is a personal rule that you apply into many money decisions in life. It also could be an indication that you give a shit about the success of this team and you don't want to reward mediocrity. If this is no different, great, also fine.

Me? I am going to be decreasing my ticket count regardless because much has changed in the first two. The third matters to me too though, so we'll see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DFloorDanny View Post
    After reading the comments (and knowing there is really no such thing as a season ticket price protest in North America), I usually evaluate my decision every year on several questions over a number of factors:

Ability to attend games
    - How many games can I personally attend?
    - Since I have more than one seat, will I be able to sell the other seat to someone? Or recover price paid on games that can't be attended?

Price/Affordability
    - How much are my seats going to cost next year
    - what is the growth rate of that price, year over year and since my inception?
    - has team performance (see below) justified price increase?

Team performance (This is a fair argument to management, since protests don't happen)
    - Is management doing what they promised?
    - Is the coach getting the most out of his selections and tactics based on what he's been given?
    - Are the players performing up to their abilities, within reason?

Letting go of your SSH doesn't mean you are no longer a supporter. There is no rule saying that you have to be an SSH to be a supporter. There are many reasons why you can let go of seats. If team performance isn't something that you consider in your evaluation, great, that's fine. For some, asking yourself whether you're getting what you're paying for is a personal rule that you apply into many money decisions in life. It also could be an indication that you give a shit about the success of this team and you don't want to reward mediocrity. If this is no different, great, also fine.

Me? I am going to be decreasing my ticket count regardless because much has changed in the first two. The third matters to me too though, so we'll see.
    No one was saying you can’t be a supporter without seasons. If you pull a Seba and end up in Saudi Arabia no one is going to fault you for not renewing, obviously. No one really cares whether you renew or not — that’s the point.

No one was saying that you don’t need to evaluate what you’re paying for. If it’s not worth it, it isn’t.

That said, numerous factors you list are reasons to not buy season seats in the first place:

- If reselling is a concern, why would you buy seasons in the first place? With the exception of playoff games or cup games there’s probably no shortage of tickets being resold at reasonable prices. You’d save time, money, and frustration.

- If you only want to watch a sport where your team wins every game and performs to the expected (winning) level the Harlem Globetrotters already exist, though I’m not sure if you can buy season seats to Harlem Globetrotters games. Again, you’d be saving yourself time, money, and frustration by not watching a sport where your team has a chance of winning or not performing to your expectations. What is the CAD$ value of a win? A loss? If we lose 0-1 to a bad referee decision is it the same as losing 9-10 to the same bad referee decision?

Do we really need to teach adults that it’s the enjoyment of the game — the fun — that counts?

You gambled and lost.

Some of us didn’t even gamble — we know we’d lose and still renewed, because we want to watch live soccer in Toronto. For us, the entrance fee was worth it just to watch the sport we love. We did that for like a decade.

It’s like playing the lottery. You can sit at home and never waste your money knowing that the chances of winning are slim to none. Some people buy a ticket every week (SSHs). Some people buy a bunch of tickets every week. Some people pool with their coworkers. Some people never win.

But when you win it feels good. That’s why you go in the first place. Even if that’s the only MLS Cup TFC wins, even if it’s the only Raptors chip, even if it’s the only Stanley Cup, World Cup, whatever cup, it’s worth it.

If watching people play football in front of you isn’t entertaining win lose or draw, then maybe you shouldn’t be buying a yearly subscription of tickets to an event where the possible outcomes are win lose or draw.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No one was saying you can’t be a supporter without seasons. If you pull a Seba and end up in Saudi Arabia no one is going to fault you for not renewing, obviously. No one really cares whether you renew or not — that’s the point.

No one was saying that you don’t need to evaluate what you’re paying for. If it’s not worth it, it isn’t.

That said, numerous factors you list are reasons to not buy season seats in the first place:

- If reselling is a concern, why would you buy seasons in the first place? With the exception of playoff games or cup games there’s probably no shortage of tickets being resold at reasonable prices. You’d save time, money, and frustration.

- If you only want to watch a sport where your team wins every game and performs to the expected (winning) level the Harlem Globetrotters already exist, though I’m not sure if you can buy season seats to Harlem Globetrotters games. Again, you’d be saving yourself time, money, and frustration by not watching a sport where your team has a chance of winning or not performing to your expectations. What is the CAD$ value of a win? A loss? If we lose 0-1 to a bad referee decision is it the same as losing 9-10 to the same bad referee decision?

Do we really need to teach adults that it’s the enjoyment of the game — the fun — that counts?

You gambled and lost.

Some of us didn’t even gamble — we know we’d lose and still renewed, because we want to watch live soccer in Toronto. For us, the entrance fee was worth it just to watch the sport we love. We did that for like a decade.

It’s like playing the lottery. You can sit at home and never waste your money knowing that the chances of winning are slim to none. Some people buy a ticket every week (SSHs). Some people buy a bunch of tickets every week. Some people pool with their coworkers. Some people never win.

But when you win it feels good. That’s why you go in the first place. Even if that’s the only MLS Cup TFC wins, even if it’s the only Raptors chip, even if it’s the only Stanley Cup, World Cup, whatever cup, it’s worth it.

If watching people play football in front of you isn’t entertaining win lose or draw, then maybe you shouldn’t be buying a yearly subscription of tickets to an event where the possible outcomes are win lose or draw.
    I already pointed out the "I'm entertained no matter what" bias and said that I was fine with someone who thinks that way. But it's not up to someone who thinks that way to tell someone else who doesn't think that way that they shouldn't be a part of the club because they don't think the same way. We already have enough of that going around in the world. You don't need to teach anyone anything, you should just do you.

Other than that, you basically started answering questions that one should ask themselves, as I've pointed out, when considering renewing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I already pointed out the "I'm entertained no matter what" bias and said that I was fine with someone who thinks that way. But it's not up to someone who thinks that way to tell someone else who doesn't think that way that they shouldn't be a part of the club because they don't think the same way. We already have enough of that going around in the world. You don't need to teach anyone anything, you should just do you.

Other than that, you basically started answering questions that one should ask themselves, as I've pointed out, when considering renewing.
    Do you enjoy it? Yes — buy tickets.
    Do you enjoy it? No — don’t buy tickets.

If you can’t live with “no” then buying season tickets seems like something you should have already evaluated before buying season tickets.

If buying tickets is predicated by having a good team, which the people largely saying they don’t want to renew here seem to be, then maybe sports where the outcome isn’t predetermined are not the best value for money.

I’m certainly not telling you to do anything, and I don’t care either way. I don’t even care if you support the team or not. I literally could not care less if you renew your tickets or not.

I’m not trying to teach anyone. I’m saying that the reasons presented by people loudly proclaiming they won’t renew are reasons to not buy season tickets in the first place, all of which have to do with performance.

It does a lot to explain why so many Canadians have somehow developed a recent allegiance to either the Patriots (despite incorrectly thinking New England is an American state) or whatever team is playing them.

Then again, I don’t know anything about American football other than that Bo Jackson is literally superhuman and Tecmo Super Bowl is one of my favourite sports video games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you enjoy it? Yes — buy tickets.
    Do you enjoy it? No — don’t buy tickets.
    I don't agree that this is what the decision boils down to. But it's all good.

Then again, I don’t know anything about American football other than that Bo Jackson is literally superhuman and Tecmo Super Bowl is one of my favourite sports video games.
    Along with Blades of Steel and Mario Kart (I will fight on this being a sports game)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't agree that this is what the decision boils down to. But it's all good.

Along with Blades of Steel and Mario Kart (I will fight on this being a sports game)
    Mario Kart isn’t a sports game though it’s a good game. Blades of Steel is great but it’s the equivalent of knowing the spawn points in Goldeneye with the penalty glitch — though instant tackles in TSB are about the same, I guess.

The point is that if your decision hinges (even partially) on resale or team performance then buying seasons is not a wise financial decision in the first place. It’s like playing the lottery or complaining no one wants to AirBNB because you ended up buying in a neighbourhood that turned to shit or SARS happened or something.

If you want to resale value or permanent value despite performance you buy Leafs tickets — not TFC tickets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    OMG

Seriously. Thank you.

Know that your post has sparked joy.
    What you self righteous superfans are not mentioning is this.
    We have to make a decision to get season seats in October,. We based ourbl decision to renew partly based on the players on the team ie Sebastian giovinco.
    Then a few weeks before the season starts he's gone.
    And to say it has been a shit show this year is an understatement.
    So excuse us regular fans if we are simply curious of other regular fans are renewing.
    I get it you superfans that are paying what a whole $30/ticket are renewing. Big spenders

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forgot to mention I was expecting vv and gvw on the the team also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course. TFC 'til I die

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    What you self righteous superfans are not mentioning is this.
    We have to make a decision to get season seats in October,. We based ourbl decision to renew partly based on the players on the team ie Sebastian giovinco.
    Then a few weeks before the season starts he's gone.
    And to say it has been a shit show this year is an understatement.
    So excuse us regular fans if we are simply curious of other regular fans are renewing.
    I get it you superfans that are paying what a whole $30/ticket are renewing. Big spenders
    This is a supporters board. Most people here aren't "regular fans," we are completely irrationally devoted to our local club... and we're proud of it! It's not self-righteous, it's just a reflection of who we are as soccer supporters. I know baseball superfans who are just as devoted to their sport and though I don't relate I don't fault them for it! If you want to interact with a more general group, try the reddit group or join the discussions on Twitter. But don't criticize us for being who we are or that we won't see things the way a typical fan would... because we aren't "regular" fans.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 08-12-2019 at 12:18 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    This is a supporters board. Most people here aren't "regular fans," we are completely irrationally devoted to our local club... and we're proud of it! It's not self-righteous, it's just a reflection of who we are as soccer supporters. I know baseball superfans who are just as devoted to their sport and though I don't relate I don't fault them for it! If you want to interact with a more general group, try the reddit group or join the discussions on Twitter. But don't criticize us for being who we are or that we won't see things the way a typical fan would... because we aren't "regular" fans.
    Yeah I know it's a supporters board.
    I forget that sometimes.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forgot to mention I was expecting vv and gvw on the the team also.
    So here's my suggestion:

(1) For your own sense of well-being stop following this team. They aren't the 2016-2017 team and are bound to disappoint you.
    (2) Cancel your season tickets by phoning your ticket rep. Tell them how angry you are that Giovinco is gone and won't be replaced. Tell the rep to pass the message on to his higher ups.
    (3) Tweet the TFC account (and post of the Facebook account if you are on Facebook) telling TFC and the world that you are canceling your tickets and why.

You are likely to get lots of people agreeing with you, which will make you feel like you're not alone, which you won't be. You'll also have the satisfaction of telling MLSE off. If enough people do that they could even act. Money talks.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 08-12-2019 at 12:34 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If enough fans like me pack it in
    The lineup in the first half of the Houston game will be the lineups for the full game every game.
    Tfc will have no money to pay good players
    You will go back to the 2012 days

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If enough fans like me pack it in
    The lineup in the first half of the Houston game will be the lineups for the full game every game.
    Tfc will have no money to pay good players
    You will go back to the 2012 days
    MLSE has always spent money on TFC whether it was spent wisely is a completely different argument. Also if you really think MLSE isn’t going to spend money you haven’t been paying attention to how they operate across all of their teams.

heres the thing most of us were here when we were shit and enjoyed the run we had and will probably be here when we win again . But in sports no team can contend year after year in a capped league. So if you decide not to renew go for it. But for you to keep on about how much you spend that’s your decision and as oldtimer stated this is probably not the forum for you to get much sympathy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=Joe Kool;1905429]Yeah always good not to judge because you don't know anyone's circumstances.

Thank you Joe Kool for your detailed comments.
    We have been in a similar situation and although I have been to one or two matches, we cannot "plan" on our SSH tix anymore.
    Things are planned day-by-day now. We still watch most of our matches on tv.
    We miss watching our boys play in live action but don't miss the lineups for the washrooms or the high concession stand prices.
    J&M

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=JayMolly;1906102]
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Yeah always good not to judge because you don't know anyone's circumstances.

Thank you Joe Kool for your detailed comments.
    We have been in a similar situation and although I have been to one or two matches, we cannot "plan" on our SSH tix anymore.
    Things are planned day-by-day now. We still watch most of our matches on tv.
    We miss watching our boys play in live action but don't miss the lineups for the washrooms or the high concession stand prices.
    J&M
    LOL about the washroom line and concessions. Hope things get better for you and your family.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone else see that post about early deposits?
    False advertising, only applies to new memberships.
    My phone didnt zoom well, but what are the blue sections behind the south end?
    Always irritates me that tfc doesn't offer much added value for returning ssh.
    We get a coupon book and a scarf.
    Earlier this season they asked for our bdays, our jersey size etc. Anyone get a free jersey?
    Im interested to see if Raptors ssh get a replica ring like raptors 905, marlies and argos got. We just got the option to buy one.
    I'm renewing for sure. But aside from when they went to year 1 pricing, ive never felt valued as an ssh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    Anyone else see that post about early deposits?
    False advertising, only applies to new memberships.
    My phone didnt zoom well, but what are the blue sections behind the south end?
    Always irritates me that tfc doesn't offer much added value for returning ssh.
    We get a coupon book and a scarf.
    Earlier this season they asked for our bdays, our jersey size etc. Anyone get a free jersey?
    Im interested to see if Raptors ssh get a replica ring like raptors 905, marlies and argos got. We just got the option to buy one.
    I'm renewing for sure. But aside from when they went to year 1 pricing, ive never felt valued as an ssh.
    I pay a lot more for Raps seasons than I do for TFC seasons, but really most of the value to me is in having discounted tickets.

I like getting a scarf that I can’t buy somewhere else.

Would I like a free kit every year? Yes, but I don’t think most MLS teams get that. Some get even less than we do.

I’ve gotta say that the people complaining probably only complain loudly on the board instead of complaining in person, because every single time I’ve ever complained about something MLSE has tried their best to make it right.

I’m not saying you should complain to get free stuff — that’s not why I do it. That said, they’ve always addressed my concerns and given me a lot of stuff I didn’t even want in addition to fixing the issues I’ve had.

Be polite but firm and don’t act like the lunatics you do online and you’re likely to get a much better response than complaining on a board full of people who couldn’t care less if you renewed or not.

I’m not your ticket rep, I’m not MLSE, and quite frankly I hate Bell and Rogers too. I’ve actually thought of cancelling my tickets many times just because of Bell and Rogers. But don’t sit around and take it like the majority of Canadians do, because that’s how companies exploit you.

I don’t go to a certain steak chain because they somehow always manage to mess up my order or include “value added products” that aren’t exactly edible. If I shut up and shoveled my overcooked steak and salad with fly-shaped protein bites into my pie hole while seething and going home to write a review on Yelp I’d never be satisfied, but that’s the Canadian way. If I complain to management they try to help and if I complain to corporate they send me a bunch of free meals that I’ll never consume — I just wanted them to know so that they can fix it. If I had this problem, others do too, but they’ve probably never fixed it because no one complained before me.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE has my money. Im firmly in the i cant sit out a year to protest, because I'll never get my seats back.

As supporters it would be interesting to see what other clubs to for their groups.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE has my money. Im firmly in the i cant sit out a year to protest, because I'll never get my seats back.

As supporters it would be interesting to see what other clubs to for their groups.
    Yeah, wasn’t talking to you specifically!

There’s usually a thread on Reddit every year where SSH from different teams talk about what they got. Some teams give better swag, some basically get nothing at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red Bulls usually have by far the best package. They've gotten lots of clothing and swag each year. But then there are others like Vancouver who don't give you squat. We are pretty middle of the pack in this regard.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by magmadragon View Post
    Red Bulls usually have by far the best package. They've gotten lots of clothing and swag each year. But then there are others like Vancouver who don't give you squat. We are pretty middle of the pack in this regard.
    What kind of swag does Forge give you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    What kind of swag does Forge give you?
    We all got jerseys this year. Originally it was supposed to be scarves like how we do it here, but they changed their minds a couple months before the season started.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by magmadragon View Post
    We all got jerseys this year. Originally it was supposed to be scarves like how we do it here, but they changed their minds a couple months before the season started.
    Halifax gave out jerseys per ticket too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have Prawn tickets To Forge FC and have been to half of their games this season. I also have been a a SS holder for TFC in the south since day 1 in 2007....I got old had 2 kids and changed jobs. Back in the old days went to 100% of games that varied over the years to now only being able to attend 10%. Today was the only time I was not able to sell my tickets to a TFC match. I will renew for 2020...It would be nice if TFC gave out a jersey for SS holders.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well the good news about crapping out against Independiente this season in February means that the Can Champ Finals ticket against Mtl on Sept 25th is part of your ST package now (given a choice of KC in the first week of March in the QF of CCL, or MTL in the Finals of Can Champ in September, I bet more people would likely use their tickets for this game than for that one I would imagine)....anyways, felt like a bonus this morning when I got the email (I was waiting for the "opt-in" email for my tickets), as I had forgotten that this game was now part of our package as a result of CCL screw-ups in February....

Let's hope we get a big crowd as a result, as last year against Vancouver (with Davies playing), was disappointing as it was a game not included in the ST package and only 15K showed up to watch TFC hoist the trophy in a rather entertaining game!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcfans View Post
    Let's hope we get a big crowd as a result, as last year against Vancouver (with Davies playing), was disappointing as it was a game not included in the ST package and only 15K showed up to watch TFC hoist the trophy in a rather entertaining game!
    I don't think we had close to 15k last night, even with it in our ticket package. Reported attendence was 12,683.