2 4.88%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    Is the Argos budget more than one Jozy?
    CFL cap was $5.2M last season and no one went over it. So it's probably close to what Jozy got last year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    Parks though...

You need a permit to play organized sports. To my knowledge there is nothing stopping anyone from going to the park and kicking a ball around. Beside, unless you bump up against someone with an actual permit, even an "organized" game will likely not run into any issues.

The bigger problem is that most kids still are not that interested in soccer. Much easier to get a pickup game of ball hockey, baseball or basketball going than a soccer game....
    Ah yes, the foundational moment where the next Messi plays keep it up in a park by him/herself.

You need a permit to play ball sports point blank. You can scrawl a mural on Queen’s Park or stab someone in the head with a ski pole but that doesn’t make it legal, even if no one finds out.

Also, tons of kids are actually interested in football. More than something like baseball, for that matter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    CFL cap was $5.2M last season and no one went over it. So it's probably close to what Jozy got last year.
    At least MLSE isn’t wasting Canadians’ hard-earned poor buying power telecom oligopoly dollars on an irrelevant franchise in an irrelevant sport then.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least MLSE isn’t wasting Canadians’ hard-earned poor buying power telecom oligopoly dollars on an irrelevant franchise in an irrelevant sport then.
    Which makes it interesting how much money they are losing when paying out next to nothing.

I agree with you though. Why bother? I get the TV ratings are good but that's going to start falling fast when the CFL generation starts dying off and that's coming soon.

In reality, the whole league should just fold. It's just too regional and on the downward.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You need a permit to play ball sports point blank.
    Once again the bylaw is against organized sport. If a bunch of kids show up and play football in the park, it is perfectly legal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once again the bylaw is against organized sport. If a bunch of kids show up and play football in the park, it is perfectly legal.
    Are you incapable of admitting you’re wrong?

That’s what organized sport is, lol. I’m not saying it’s enforced or that it’s justified, just that the bylaw curbing sports in parks exists.

If a bunch of adults show up and play football in the park it isn’t legal either. If a kid stabs someone in the head with a ski pole it’s not okay either. I can play obnoxiously loud music at 4am and no one is going to arrest me either despite it being against bylaws.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not always if it's a schoolyard though. I've been kicked out of the one by my house for having a pick up game of burby there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Not always if it's a schoolyard though. I've been kicked out of the one by my house for having a pick up game of burby there.
    A schoolyard is a bit different, but “organized sport” just means sports with rules, and is a legal euphemism for basically everything that isn’t jogging or whatever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel like in the short-term it will help us on international recruiting (like how they took Pozo to games, can brag you're going to see the defending champs) but hurt domestically in terms of casual fans watching and buying tickets (although the Blue Jays being terrible helps us in this manner )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That’s why MLSE owns every sporting franchise that could possibly make money. It’s like the guy posting about how much of a waste our DPs are when our roster and meaningless to MLSE, and just owning the franchise is a guaranteed investment at this point, essentially.

Canada’s urban/youth population, especially in the two big anglophone cities are not even “Canadian” to the extent they feel an affinity by osmosis for hockey, which is the same reason Tim Hortons or the CFL still exist despite not being able to find a single person who likes or patronizes TH (unless it’s spontaneous) or the CFL (or even knows it exists).

For example: Chinese people love basketball. They don’t care about hockey in general (though all the Chinese kids on my street play street hockey and some of my CBC friends play hockey), and they’re incredibly fickle when it comes to football. Basketball (or NFL in the States) is also the sport for the disenfranchised in North America whereas in the rest of the world it’s football. Just on generalizations from experience.

Baseball is in the same tier because it’s an older demographic white North American sport (except Japan, Cuba, etc.). May as well be golf at this point.

A Stanley cup would be great, but MLSE has changed the culture of the Leafs and seems to be striving towards that.

The bigger question is:

Why does MLSE own the Argos, a team no one cares about, in a sport no one cares about, in an irrelevant league, whose fans don’t even reside in the city they play in? Is the Argos budget more than one Jozy?
    I don't like handegg as much as the next football fan but you gotta respect it being canadian only and the history.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure I would question Tim Horton's long term viability based on multi-culturalism? Yes, Tims is ubiquitous but when a McD's is with a Tims in a mall food court, the Tim's is busier for coffee in the morning.

Tims is now everywhere in this city for a reason - most people have no idea how coffee should taste & thus mask it with sugar & creme.

Which reminds me - how come I can't get a decent cup of coffee from a brand at BMO?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No effect at all , TFC is a very niche thing. It is what it is , just be happy that a pro soccer team that plays in maybe the 10th. best soccer league in the world gets decent crowds of 20000 or more a game. Like someone mentioned there are Toronto sports fans that follow the Raptors, Leafs and Jays that don’t even know what TFC is . As a hardcore soccer fan I’m jealous that the sport I love is not even close or probably never be close to popularity as the other big three sports. Moreover, I’m so jealous at how the Raptors turned this city upside down with their run to the championship. So jealous at the celebration I witnessed all over the Toronto area after the Raptors won, something I didn’t witness when TFC won the MLS Cup where after leaving the stadium that night after the MLS Cup I saw no celebrations anywhere in Toronto streets . I know I shouldn’t care lol but I cared . I guess I should just be happy that we have a pro soccer team in Toronto that is at least a bit relevant compared to all the years that we had no team at all. I get it lol but it still bothers me lol it’s just the way I’m made up .
    Last edited by SoccMan2; 06-15-2019 at 05:56 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is what it is. Thursday night was nuts. I am not even much of a basketball fan, a casual observer but I was drawn down to watching in one of the overflow areas of Jurassic Park down Bremner. When they won I took it all in walking from Scotia Bank Arena up to College and Yonge and it was nuts, the sheer number of people out, especially in and around Dundas Square. Even when I got off the subway at Yonge and Eg. it was still going on strong. On the other hand the night of the MLS Cup once you left the BMO Field/Liberty Village area ie Shoeless Joes you never would have known the Reds had just won the Championship. Even with all the media coverage they had received during the playoffs it was not enough to get the city to care in mass. I have always said since 2007 Toronto FC was a in stadium experience for most people in the stadium. It was two hours of entertainment and then they went on with their lives. I don't see much of correlation between the Raps success and having any real effect for the Reds. Hey the big question for me is if the Raps have a bad season or two do they fall back to nights of 14-13K or less in the building or are they beyond that point ala the Leafs. Heck a lot of us here will remember the perk of being a TFC season ticket holder, a pair of lower bowl tickets to a Raptors game.
    Last edited by Red CB Toronto; 06-16-2019 at 09:58 AM.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Raptors success will have zero influence on TFC.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Won’t do nothing = will do something.
    I think he meant it ain't wont do nothing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah yes, the foundational moment where the next Messi plays keep it up in a park by him/herself.

You need a permit to play ball sports point blank. You can scrawl a mural on Queen’s Park or stab someone in the head with a ski pole but that doesn’t make it legal, even if no one finds out.

Also, tons of kids are actually interested in football. More than something like baseball, for that matter.
    my local park always has kids playing pickup soccer. sadly, the run circles around me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    It is what it is. Thursday night was nuts. I am not even much of a basketball fan, a casual observer but I was drawn down to watching in one of the overflow areas of Jurassic Park down Bremner. When they won I took it all in walking from Scotia Bank Arena up to College and Yonge and it was nuts, the sheer number of people out, especially in and around Dundas Square. Even when I got off the subway at Yonge and Eg. it was still going on strong. On the other hand the night of the MLS Cup once you left the BMO Field/Liberty Village area ie Shoeless Joes you never would have known the Reds had just won the Championship. Even with all the media coverage they had received during the playoffs it was not enough to get the city to care in mass. I have always said since 2007 Toronto FC was a in stadium experience for most people in the stadium. It was two hours of entertainment and then they went on with their lives. I don't see much of correlation between the Raps success and having any real effect for the Reds. Hey the big question for me is if the Raps have a bad season or two do they fall back to nights of 14-13K or less in the building or are they beyond that point ala the Leafs. Heck a lot of us here will remember the perk of being a TFC season ticket holder, a pair of lower bowl tickets to a Raptors game.
    holy sht, i forgot about those tickets.
    im guessing those wont be available to us anytime soon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    holy sht, i forgot about those tickets.
    im guessing those wont be available to us anytime soon
    I remember that, lol. Place was half empty, still more fun than the leafs though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe the TFC success reflected onto the Raptors ehh hmmm !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    No effect at all , TFC is a very niche thing. It is what it is , just be happy that a pro soccer team that plays in maybe the 10th. best soccer league in the world gets decent crowds of 20000 or more a game. Like someone mentioned there are Toronto sports fans that follow the Raptors, Leafs and Jays that don’t even know what TFC is . As a hardcore soccer fan I’m jealous that the sport I love is not even close or probably never be close to popularity as the other big three sports. Moreover, I’m so jealous at how the Raptors turned this city upside down with their run to the championship. So jealous at the celebration I witnessed all over the Toronto area after the Raptors won, something I didn’t witness when TFC won the MLS Cup where after leaving the stadium that night after the MLS Cup I saw no celebrations anywhere in Toronto streets . I know I shouldn’t care lol but I cared . I guess I should just be happy that we have a pro soccer team in Toronto that is at least a bit relevant compared to all the years that we had no team at all. I get it lol but it still bothers me lol it’s just the way I’m made up .
    Yeah, Liberty Village was great but I remember friends and I driving around downtown that night and it was typical Saturday traffic. We cared too LOL!!

I am more hopeful than you are. I don't know how old you are but the increase in the popularity of the sport at least here in the GTA has been amazing during the past 25 years. Coverage of the local game was NON-EXISTENT back then. It may take another 25 years for the needle to be moved again significantly but the game is doing okay right now IMHO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_S View Post
    Yeah, Liberty Village was great but I remember friends and I driving around downtown that night and it was typical Saturday traffic. We cared too LOL!!

I am more hopeful than you are. I don't know how old you are but the increase in the popularity of the sport at least here in the GTA has been amazing during the past 25 years. Coverage of the local game was NON-EXISTENT back then. It may take another 25 years for the needle to be moved again significantly but the game is doing okay right now IMHO.
    the same thing was being said back then
    "why you watching this garbage"

and make no mistake, for the longest time it was garbage outside the excitement of the Vince Carter years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I watched game 6 of the Final at Jurassic Park West in Mississauga. Saw quite a bit of TFC gear on people.

Makes me think there is quite a bit of overlap between the fan bases. Although the Raps Championship will have no effect on TFC directly, I like to think 2017 was the prelude to this Raptors victory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BelfastBoy View Post
    I watched game 6 of the Final at Jurassic Park West in Mississauga. Saw quite a bit of TFC gear on people.

Makes me think there is quite a bit of overlap between the fan bases. Although the Raps Championship will have no effect on TFC directly, I like to think 2017 was the prelude to this Raptors victory.
    I'm very surprised there is no Brampton-Mississauga parade / presentation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BelfastBoy View Post

I think Manning was one to say there's overlap between two fanbases similar to Leafs and Argos.

Given both TFC and Raptor players go to each other games and generally supporting each other, it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone on here. For an example, Siakam was wearing TFC jersey during one of his press conferences not too long ago.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FIAF View Post
    I don't like handegg as much as the next football fan but you gotta respect it being canadian only and the history.
    History, yes.

Canadian only, not by a long shot.

Canadian Premier league isn't even Canadian only but they at least put Canadians more forward.

i didn't vote.

It's pretty apparent that if the Raptors affected TFC it would be less of a deal for us. Still more of a deal than TFC winning it better before the Raptors did it.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 06-18-2019 at 06:35 PM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Not sure I would question Tim Horton's long term viability based on multi-culturalism? Yes, Tims is ubiquitous but when a McD's is with a Tims in a mall food court, the Tim's is busier for coffee in the morning.

Tims is now everywhere in this city for a reason - most people have no idea how coffee should taste & thus mask it with sugar & creme.

Which reminds me - how come I can't get a decent cup of coffee from a brand at BMO?
    Or tea ?
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    I think Manning was one to say there's overlap between two fanbases similar to Leafs and Argos.
    Think thats simplifying it a bit. I don't know many younger Leaf fans who care that the Argos exist. You saw Leaf players at every Raps Playoff game, and through the year. Different people like different things, its cool.
    Bringing this back to TFC, they didn't do themselves any favours expanding the fan base last season, they need to be good again to grow things. TFC I think was, maybe still is, slowly expanding that fan base across the city but last year was definitely a set back. We'll see what's still to come this year. Otherwise you stay with the same 23,000 at every match and very small TV viewership.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post

Given both TFC and Raptor players go to each other games and generally supporting each other, it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone on here. For an example, Siakam was wearing TFC jersey during one of his press conferences not too long ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by JT Red127 View Post
    Think thats simplifying it a bit. I don't know many younger Leaf fans who care that the Argos exist. You saw Leaf players at every Raps Playoff game, and through the year. Different people like different things, its cool.
    Bringing this back to TFC, they didn't do themselves any favours expanding the fan base last season, they need to be good again to grow things. TFC I think was, maybe still is, slowly expanding that fan base across the city but last year was definitely a set back. We'll see what's still to come this year. Otherwise you stay with the same 23,000 at every match and very small TV viewership.
    It's age-related. Among people aged 60+ there's a pretty good overlap between Argos and Leafs, and the Boomer demographic is huge for TV. I have some friends in that age range. Most couldn't care less that the Raptors won.

I expect that younger Leafs fans (under 30) would be more into Raptors and TFC.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    It's age-related. Among people aged 60+ there's a pretty good overlap between Argos and Leafs, and the Boomer demographic is huge for TV. I have some friends in that age range. Most couldn't care less that the Raptors won.

I expect that younger Leafs fans (under 30) would be more into Raptors and TFC.
    I'd put that more to 40 and under. I'm 41, never had an interest in the Argos in my life, I dont know any of my friends that have. Raptors? That was pretty big for most of my friends growing up, we were old enough to get to games at the Skydome on our own, and grewup watching Jordan, Bird, Magic and Isaiah. Then we had a team of our own. Same story when TFC came along.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JT Red127 View Post
    Bringing this back to TFC, they didn't do themselves any favours expanding the fan base last season, they need to be good again to grow things. TFC I think was, maybe still is, slowly expanding that fan base across the city but last year was definitely a setback. We'll see what's still to come this year. Otherwise, you stay with the same 23,000 at every match and very small TV viewership.

The base being 23K is actually amazing considering the year we went through. We got 23.5K after a demoralising loss 3 days before in Utah, against a no-name San Jose team on a Sunday night.

I think it could go down if there were years of Jays level mediocrity no hopeness but this braintrust is not cool with that.