3 7.32%

1 2.44%

2 4.88%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question The Raptors are champs... any influence on TFC?

So the Raptors won their 1st NBA champion title in their existence.
    The Raps and TFC have the same owner (and plus the Maple Leafs, Argos, Marlies of course) = MLSE.

Question: Will this great performance of the Raptors have any effect on TFC?

Those voting negative effects, may think that this will decrease the general ambition of MLSE for better results towards the "smaller" teams they own.
    Those voting positive effects, may think that this will increase the general ambition of MLSE for better results towards the "smaller" teams they own.

"Smaller" team = every tean owned by MLSE not called Raptors or Maple Leafs, simply ranked by the popularity of the teams (these 2 are on another planet of popularity compared to the other 3).

Possible 7 poll answers:

+3 Will have a strong positive effect on TFC.
    +2 Will have a clearly noticeable positve effect on TFC.
    +1 Will have a small positive effect on TFC, but not something widely noticeable.
    0 What a dumb thread and poll, of course this won't have whatsoever effect on TFC!
    -1 Will have a small negative effect on TFC, but not something widely noticeable.
    -2 Will have a clearly noticeable negative effect on TFC.
    -3 Will have a strong negative effect on TFC.
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 06-14-2019 at 11:12 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If anything it should affect the Leafs. More pressure to break that cup drought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are on the international stage. Use it as a recruiting tool for the summer transfer window. Who wouldn't want to be part of the Toronto sports culture right now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    We are on the international stage. Use it as a recruiting tool for the summer transfer window. Who wouldn't want to be part of the Toronto sports culture right now?
    This is a great point.

RPB Member
    Banners Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like that MLSE has smartened up and going to run the parade along lakeshore to nathan phillips--- our next parade should likewise be from BMO to Nathan (gotta stay positive!)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I voted "0" but not because I thought the poll was dumb as the description goes. I just think there will be "0" effect on TFC. The people who paid attention to TFC (probably mostly also Raps fans too) before this will still be the same people to watch TFC after this. The people who didn't care about soccer or TFC probably will still not care about soccer or TFC after this. I would agree with a post above that it puts pressure on the Leafs if anyone since they are the only MLSE franchise not to win a championship now. I don't think the operation of the Toronto FC club changes due to this. They will probably have some players out at an upcoming game to celebrate the win before kickoff. That would be cool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    good point

does Spicy P have any cousins as rediculously athletic as he is

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
    I like that MLSE has smartened up and going to run the parade along lakeshore to nathan phillips--- our next parade should likewise be from BMO to Nathan (gotta stay positive!)

I love to see the Raps tour the different Jurassic park viewing parties with mini parades, or at least some of the larger ones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    good point

does Spicy P have any cousins as rediculously athletic as he is
    Ha ha I was actually going to say that. Bet there is a lot of under the radar soccer talent in Cameroon.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, Bradley was at game 5 with his family.
    So it seems he legitimately has laid roots here.
    I'd love to see Bradley have a role with TFC after his playing career, perhaps coach. So thats all i am taking from the Raptors effect on TFC.
    More money for the organization is good too. Like MLSE hopefully has multi millions more revenue and thus wont feel the need to trim costs across organization.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only real pitch I can see this summer with our available roster spots is to sell players on the TFC involvement in Jurassic Park. Show them the vids of Hamilton, Bono, and the rest on that stage watching or some vids from BMO last Friday. Seeing the 'togetherness' between the various MLSE sports enterprises would be attractive to some players for sure. Being part of something really big.

However, if we have open big time DP slot(s) next spring then maybe sending Drake in the MLSE jet to bring some players court side wouldn't be a bad move.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    The only real pitch I can see this summer with our available roster spots is to sell players on the TFC involvement in Jurassic Park. Show them the vids of Hamilton, Bono, and the rest on that stage watching or some vids from BMO last Friday. Seeing the 'togetherness' between the various MLSE sports enterprises would be attractive to some players for sure. Being part of something really big.

However, if we have open big time DP slot(s) next spring then maybe sending Drake in the MLSE jet to bring some players court side wouldn't be a bad move.
    He has his own private jet. Maybe send him out to make a reggaeton song with Neymar.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If anything it should affect the Leafs. More pressure to break that cup drought.
    Agreed. Their other properties (TFC, Raptors, Marlies, and Argos) all have recent cup wins. Only the Leafs remain on the outside.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Irrelevant, really I think most people don't even like either or I mean it's hard to find people who actually like both these teams. I know there are some.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think us winning in 2017 spurred on MLSE to push harder with the Raps. Tannenbaum tasted winning and wanted more. Plus he saw how much winning does for the value of the club.

If not for us in 2017, maybe the Raps don't trade for Kawhi.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good quiz. I voted plus 1 but it really should be plus 2. Toronto got more international profile as a city than it ever has at any point in its history. By far. Marc Gasol on the front page of the Barcelona sports pages kissing the trophy as an example.

At the margin it must help land a player or two. Like Canary said.

It's a minus three for the Leafs. Highlights something that should worry the NHL but seemingly doesn’t - the huge vacuum created by a system that has an all US final in 21 of the last 25 years. This Canada-wide celebration isn’t just about the Raps - the NHL has literally stopped caring about its core market.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol, won't do nothing for TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1986 View Post
    Lol, won't do nothing for TFC.
    Won’t do nothing = will do something.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    It's a minus three for the Leafs. Highlights something that should worry the NHL but seemingly doesn’t - the huge vacuum created by a system that has an all US final in 21 of the last 25 years. This Canada-wide celebration isn’t just about the Raps - the NHL has literally stopped caring about its core market.
    I don't care at all about hockey or the Leafs but this is really a thing now. NHL starting the downward slide.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As others have said, I think this could definitely have an impact on visibility and marketability for TFC, as a destination for players. There is lots of cross-over interest between footy and basketball among the players. We've seen the significant involvement of current TFC players, within the arena & at Jurassic Park. In addition to the current TFC players, I have also noticed a number of former TFC players mention the Raptor's on social media (or even show up at games). The Raptor's success, and common ownership, could definitely be seen as a perk for some players during recruitment.

There's lots of common interest between Raptors and TFC among fans as well, as we saw when they showed the Raptor's game at BMO Field. Both crowds skew young & multi-cultural. I don't think that will have much of an impact on TFC, positive or negative. However if Raptors and TFC games are scheduled at the same time in the future, I could see TFC viewership dwindle even further, at least as long as the Raptors' bandwagon stays strong.

One more thing: people are noticing a significant uptick in basketball interest among youth players. That could definitely compete with footy's popularity, although it would take a long time before that affects TFC.

Oh, and no luck recruiting Spicy P's brothers for TFC. They all played basketball before him, and earned scholarships to NCAA Division I schools. (Pascal started playing basketball very late, after age 15!)
    Last edited by Auzzy; 06-15-2019 at 12:01 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    As others have said, I think this could definitely have an impact on visibility and marketability for TFC, as a destination for players. There is lots of cross-over interest between footy and basketball among the players. We've seen the significant involvement of current TFC players, within the arena & at Jurassic Park. In addition to the current TFC players, I have also noticed a number of former TFC players mention the Raptor's on social media (or even show up at games). The Raptor's success, and common ownership, could definitely be seen as a perk for some players during recruitment.

There's lots of common interest between Raptors and TFC among fans as well, as we saw when they showed the Raptor's game at BMO Field. Both crowds skew young & multi-cultural. I don't think that will have much of an impact on TFC, positive or negative. However if Raptors and TFC games are scheduled at the same time in the future, I could see TFC viewership dwindle even further, at least as long as the Raptors' bandwagon stays strong.

One more thing: people are noticing a significant uptick in basketball interest among youth players. That could definitely compete with footy's popularity, although it would take a long time before that affects TFC.

Oh, and no luck recruiting Spicy P's brothers for TFC. They all played basketball before him, and earned scholarships to NCAA Division I schools. (Pascal started playing basketball very late, after age 15!)
    Football/soccer and hockey have the same issues in Canada, namely that they cost a lot of money, especially at higher levels.

The reason football is popular in places with large scale poverty in general is the same reason basketball is popular here. In Toronto, for example, you’re not legally allowed to play with a ball in a park without a permit.

So much so, in fact, that football has become the de facto fake sport to play for wealthy people’s kids buying their way into prestigious colleges and universities despite never having played it.

I honestly don’t think hockey is in that much of a downslide aside the cost factor. Outside of Toronto/Vancouver hockey is massive, especially the more rural you get. I play shinny with friends all winter, rinks in the city are well-used, and the kids on my street all play street hockey despite the fact that probably none of them are Canadian (in terms of heritage).

A Canadian team winning a cup has nothing to do with the waxing or waning popularity of a sport. Kids don’t watch sports on TV like adults do; they play them. Yeah, it’s under the parents’ insistance, and despite football’s growing popularity hockey isn’t much of a slouch in that department.

Only sport that’s going to disappear in the near future is hand egg, which, coincidentally, is also played by the poorest demographic in the US. People who want the “violence” have migrated to MMA, and parents probably don’t want their kids growing up to be vegetable equivalents.

Edit: it’s like rock vs rap vs pop music with more brain trauma.
    Last edited by stegosaurus; 06-15-2019 at 09:16 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    In Toronto, for example, you’re not legally allowed to play with a ball in a park without a permit.
    Not quite sure where you get that...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    There are a lot of places with street signs that say no ball playing. I see them randomly, lots in the beaches and upper beaches areas. Not sure if it's enforced but they have the signs up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Football/soccer and hockey have the same issues in Canada, namely that they cost a lot of money, especially at higher levels.

The reason football is popular in places with large scale poverty in general is the same reason basketball is popular here. In Toronto, for example, you’re not legally allowed to play with a ball in a park without a permit.

So much so, in fact, that football has become the de facto fake sport to play for wealthy people’s kids buying their way into prestigious colleges and universities despite never having played it.

I honestly don’t think hockey is in that much of a downslide aside the cost factor. Outside of Toronto/Vancouver hockey is massive, especially the more rural you get. I play shinny with friends all winter, rinks in the city are well-used, and the kids on my street all play street hockey despite the fact that probably none of them are Canadian (in terms of heritage).

A Canadian team winning a cup has nothing to do with the waxing or waning popularity of a sport. Kids don’t watch sports on TV like adults do; they play them. Yeah, it’s under the parents’ insistance, and despite football’s growing popularity hockey isn’t much of a slouch in that department.

Only sport that’s going to disappear in the near future is hand egg, which, coincidentally, is also played by the poorest demographic in the US. People who want the “violence” have migrated to MMA, and parents probably don’t want their kids growing up to be vegetable equivalents.

Edit: it’s like rock vs rap vs pop music with more brain trauma.
    Hockey will always be "massive" in Canada. Especially outside the big cities. Similar to baseball in the US.

But I think the NHL is clearly not taking care of its best customers very well, and will pay for that down the line. Just dumb business decisions.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    Municipal bylaws. You need a permit to play sports at the park.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hockey will always be "massive" in Canada. Especially outside the big cities. Similar to baseball in the US.

But I think the NHL is clearly not taking care of its best customers very well, and will pay for that down the line. Just dumb business decisions.
    I don’t disagree, but Leafs will still draw a packed arena and tons of bucks for so long that MLSE doesn’t need another strategy (although they are striving towards a winning culture — it’s just harder in hockey than it is in MLS).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t disagree, but Leafs will still draw a packed arena and tons of bucks for so long that MLSE doesn’t need another strategy (although they are striving towards a winning culture — it’s just harder in hockey than it is in MLS).
    Sure. But the NHL are going to wake up in 5-10 years with the large majority of the young/urban market, and half the market in Canada, declaring that bball is their number one sport. They will be MLB.

That is stupid failure on an epic level. They have given millions of natural hardcores nothing to really cheer about for a generation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure. But the NHL are going to wake up in 5-10 years with the large majority of the young/urban market, and half the market in Canada, declaring that bball is their number one sport. They will be MLB.

That is stupid failure on an epic level. They have given millions of natural hardcores nothing to really cheer about for a generation.
    That’s why MLSE owns every sporting franchise that could possibly make money. It’s like the guy posting about how much of a waste our DPs are when our roster and meaningless to MLSE, and just owning the franchise is a guaranteed investment at this point, essentially.

Canada’s urban/youth population, especially in the two big anglophone cities are not even “Canadian” to the extent they feel an affinity by osmosis for hockey, which is the same reason Tim Hortons or the CFL still exist despite not being able to find a single person who likes or patronizes TH (unless it’s spontaneous) or the CFL (or even knows it exists).

For example: Chinese people love basketball. They don’t care about hockey in general (though all the Chinese kids on my street play street hockey and some of my CBC friends play hockey), and they’re incredibly fickle when it comes to football. Basketball (or NFL in the States) is also the sport for the disenfranchised in North America whereas in the rest of the world it’s football. Just on generalizations from experience.

Baseball is in the same tier because it’s an older demographic white North American sport (except Japan, Cuba, etc.). May as well be golf at this point.

A Stanley cup would be great, but MLSE has changed the culture of the Leafs and seems to be striving towards that.

The bigger question is:

Why does MLSE own the Argos, a team no one cares about, in a sport no one cares about, in an irrelevant league, whose fans don’t even reside in the city they play in? Is the Argos budget more than one Jozy?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure. But the NHL are going to wake up in 5-10 years with the large majority of the young/urban market, and half the market in Canada, declaring that bball is their number one sport.
    I think that's already happening. I think most of the younger market is already heading towards bball, baseball somewhat but the Jays are making it tough, and football as it's growing rapidly with the CPL and some MLS success. The fact that an average young person probably can't afford (or would want to afford) to go to a Leafs game is bad for their product. I think that's why baseball and football have made strides, because they're affordable for families and young folks.

I think in 10 years NHL will be heading the CFL route but not as shit obviously. Isolated pockets of high interest and most of those people will be older.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are a lot of places with street signs that say no ball playing. I see them randomly, lots in the beaches and upper beaches areas. Not sure if it's enforced but they have the signs up.
    Parks though...

Municipal bylaws. You need a permit to play sports at the park.
    You need a permit to play organized sports. To my knowledge there is nothing stopping anyone from going to the park and kicking a ball around. Beside, unless you bump up against someone with an actual permit, even an "organized" game will likely not run into any issues.

The bigger problem is that most kids still are not that interested in soccer. Much easier to get a pickup game of ball hockey, baseball or basketball going than a soccer game....