Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    CPL missed the boat on being there on the ground level for football in this city. You can blame CSA for that. They have failed this country for decades. They are losers and most sports fans know this - maybe not that the CSA are losers, but that Canadian Produced soccer are losers. People are not convinced anything they produce can be of any value. How many CPL's have come and gone and done squat.

CPL Fans think the league will just waltz onto the scene and be accepted by hundreds of thousands - t's not going to happen. and IMO - it's actually counterproductive to the league becoming successful.

They will need to prove themselves over the next 10-15 years and show actual growth before they can garner support similar to other sports in the country.
    Most CPL fans have no illusion that it's going to be a hard couple of years, but I understand all the investors have signed on for 10 years and are prepared for millions in losses. That said, I think the key is focus on Canadian cities outside of the Big 3 (it seems to work for the CFL), build rivalries and then promote the heck out of the MLS matchups in the Voyageurs Cup. I think in a decade the league could have a vibrant niche of about 12-16 teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Wolfpack attracted Liberty Village hipsters and Rugby folk looking for something remotely professional. Wolfpack are also the only rugby ticket in town.
    MLS was low tier entertainment, but it was the only thing around at the time. Plus it had the promise of becoming much bigger and it has actually converted on that.

CPL missed the boat on being there on the ground level for football in this city. You can blame CSA for that. They have failed this country for decades. They are losers and most sports fans know this - maybe not that the CSA are losers, but that Canadian Produced soccer are losers. People are not convinced anything they produce can be of any value. How many CPL's have come and gone and done squat.

CPL Fans think the league will just waltz onto the scene and be accepted by hundreds of thousands - t's not going to happen. and IMO - it's actually counterproductive to the league becoming successful.

They will need to prove themselves over the next 10-15 years and show actual growth before they can garner support similar to other sports in the country.
    If the CPL marketing similar to Wolfpack they would have been successful. Its not all hipsters and rugby folk, have you been down there? CPL needed to find their spot in the region, and York is not it. They should have looked at the east end, Monarch Stadium for example. Expand it, improve it and you are in a neighbourhood where you can get young folk, families etc. Make connections and build something real...not some weird lets draw from 9 towns dream.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JT Red127 View Post
    Wolfpack has achieved that somehow. CPL, locally (York) at least I think missed the boat on who they are marketing to and where they are playing.
    I think the CPL is a nice idea in theory, but there have been more than a few “obstacles” in the inaugural year that need to be ironed out.

There’s a place for it, especially far outside of Toronto (assuming these communities are into soccer). That said, as a fan of the sport, I have no interest in York Region in general, I don’t like going to Vaughan, and if I wasn’t going out of my way to watch TFC2 or Academy games I’m not going to go out of my way to watch ex-TFC2 players ply their trade for a team I feel no connection to whatsoever.

It’s a fun match for kids who are interested in the sport, like arena soccer in Mississauga (also featuring ex-TFC players), but the prices seem a bit inflated at first as to appear “serious” considering the level of play.

I hope they didn’t think they’d sway fans of an already established franchise who attend games so much as it was “throwing a bone” to people in the burbs.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CPL game tonight - judge ticket prices accordingly

[IMG][/IMG]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    CPL game tonight - judge ticket prices accordingly

[IMG][/IMG]
    I already saw Redditors complaining about the CPL pricing, and don’t know how these prices differ from the initial ones, but these tickets seem a bit excessive for having to go to York and watch not-TFC2 play on a Wednesday night.

You think they’d have started lower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WOW, these prices are bad even to be a joke!
    Even 50% would be too high compared to the quality people get to see, and the salaries those players are making.
    WTF???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    WOW, these prices are bad even to be a joke!
    Even 50% would be too high compared to the quality people get to see, and the salaries those players are making.
    WTF???
    I think the general consensus is that it was pretty empty last night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, for comparison, their supporter and goalline seats are cheaper than what I can get for the Ottawa Fury and the seats closer to centrefield are about comparable. However, their 3 centre sections are almost double the cost of comparable Fury seats. Then again, we're comparing a Div 1 team to a Div 2 team, so maybe it's in line with the expected product?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Well, for comparison, their supporter and goalline seats are cheaper than what I can get for the Ottawa Fury and the seats closer to centrefield are about comparable. However, their 3 centre sections are almost double the cost of comparable Fury seats. Then again, we're comparing a Div 1 team to a Div 2 team, so maybe it's in line with the expected product?
    I don’t really watch the Fury other than when they play against us, but is the level really that different? Considering what I’ve seen thus far in York9 games (I think I’ve watched all of them), I’m not sure the prices are tied to the product.

Seems like a lot of people seem to be complaining about the prices and empty seats, and though I’m not the target market for the team, it seems like you either have sad attendance or give away free tickets in this case. Giving away free tickets defeats the purpose of charging prices this high in the first place, so I’m not sure what the logic was here.

If the ownership groups expect the teams to operate at a loss for the first bit, it would make sense to drum up support/viewership/matchgoers before trying to fill the till on ticket sales... especially when the match day product isn’t spectacular and the actual administration in terms of in-stadium matches seems to be pretty messed up from what a lot of people have been saying (like the rain delay debacle).

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love watching a new league get off the ground.

The thread is taking an ironic derail right about now lads.

Major League talking or not talking about a lower league.

Just sayin

Theres a thread for CPL itself.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER