Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Major League Championship

I am sick of hearing on TV and radio comments that the Raptors have a chance to bring the first "major championship" to Toronto since the 1993 Blue Jays. I have e-mailed each time I've heard this crap and reminded them of TFC's Championship team of 2017. I encourage everyone of you to do the same.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love TFC and MLS precisely because it's not like other North American major leagues. But as to the merits...

Highest payroll in league:

2019 TFC - USD $22M
    2019 GSW - USD $150M
    2019 MUFC - USD $375M

Last edited by ensco; 06-13-2019 at 06:32 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    I am sick of hearing on TV and radio comments that the Raptors have a chance to bring the first "major championship" to Toronto since the 1993 Blue Jays. I have e-mailed each time I've heard this crap and reminded them of TFC's Championship team of 2017. I encourage everyone of you to do the same.

The reality is it is not. I love TFC, but at best, MLS is 10th best league in the world.
    NBA/MLB/NHL are all the best league in the world.

When the Jays won, if Raptors win, city can say "We're the best in the world".
    TFC won, they obviously couldn't say that. Not even close.

Same as Argos Grey Cup in 2017. It's the 2nd best league in the world. At best, they were the 33rd best team in the world.
    Or Marlies last year. At best they were 32nd best in the world

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    The reality is it is not. I love TFC, but at best, MLS is 10th best league in the world.

Same as Argos Grey Cup in 2017. It's the 2nd best league in the world. At best, they were the 33rd best team in the world.
    MLS has larger average attendance than both NHL and NBA.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is all a variation of #lovemysport

In the end, its all an entertainment choice - I am happy that we get 20K+ out each home game. Don't need the media recognising our championship within a ranking system for me to fondly remember that night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It just shows you that soccer is just not even close to the popularity of hockey, baseball, NFL football and basketball. Even if let’s say TFC played in say the EPL and say participated in the European Champions League and was in the European CCL final do you think TFC would generate the kind of following the Raptors are experiencing with this championship run? I highly doubt it because it’s soccer and even though we want to believe it but soccer is way behind the other big four sports in Canada and the US and I don’t think this will ever change unfortunately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't agree with this to be honest. The NBA, MLB, NHL is comparable to the Premier League/La Liga. MLS is comparable to the Swedish league? AHL? We aren't truly "major".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS has larger average attendance than both NHL and NBA.
    Look at the ACC, it seats less people. What a bizarre thread and ridiculous commentary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need some memory help here. Didn't we get a chance for free raptors tickets a few yrs ago as part of our SSH packages. I seem to recall going to a game for this very reason. I stand corrected if wrong.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate the narrative that Toronto hasn't won a championship ignoring TFC.

I also hate the TFC fans complaining publically. It's embarassing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So by your logic when Manchester City wins the EPL it's not a real accomplishment because everyone knows La Liga is the better league. This North American only one league is the very best is bullshit. Let's congratulate the great accomplishment of the Raptors but not minimize the great feat of the 2017 TFC team. That is all I am saying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    Need some memory help here. Didn't we get a chance for free raptors tickets a few yrs ago as part of our SSH packages. I seem to recall going to a game for this very reason. I stand corrected if wrong.

I think you're correct. I'm pretty sure I went to one from TFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So by your logic when Manchester City wins the EPL it's not a real accomplishment because everyone knows La Liga is the better league. This North American only one league is the very best is bullshit. Let's congratulate the great accomplishment of the Raptors but not minimize the great feat of the 2017 TFC team. That is all I am saying.
    No, it’s like saying no one cares about Genk winning the Belgian league or Tokyo FC winning the J-League outside the country or fans of those specific teams.

No one here is minimizing TFC’s win; they’re just focusing on reality. A lot of Torontonians don’t even know TFC exists or that they won the league.

The City take is absolutely ridiculous too, because everyone knows the Premier League is the biggest league in the world by any metric, with the most prestigious title, and that La Liga is top heavy.

I don’t watch handegg football, and don’t care who wins the Super Bowl, let alone caring about the Argos or the fact they won some meaningless title despite being called the “Toronto” Argos. Just like no one in general cares about the Marlies (including Leafs fans), or even the Rock, who may actually be in the top lacrosse league, but I couldn’t tell you because lacrosse isn’t on anyone’s radar.
    Last edited by stegosaurus; 06-14-2019 at 08:40 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

if it makes you feel any better - I saw a post where it listed all the major North American Championships won in this city in recent memory and the Argos were literally a sub point at the bottom of the list. Not even a major point - it was great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless you win club world cup, no team can truly say they are the best in the world.
    its a still a major trophy and a major accomplishment.

Now Im happy for basketball and the raps. 15 years ago the raps were in the same boat we are in, media never took it seriously as a major sport in the city

The sports media is very strange in this city. they purposely ignore other sports as if they are inferior.
    examples of sports which are large in other parts of the world, (and played by many here)
    Lacrosse (indoor and outdoor)
    Cricket
    Rugby
    Most racket sports
    any other version of hockey that's not played on the ice or is not the NHL
    Volleyball
    Soccer (unless worldcup), indoor, and futsal)
    Handball
    Cycling
    Last edited by C.Ronaldo; 06-14-2019 at 09:43 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    if it makes you feel any better - I saw a post where it listed all the major North American Championships won in this city in recent memory and the Argos were literally a sub point at the bottom of the list. Not even a major point - it was great.
    that list was for north american championships, CFL is only Canadian league (which apparently isn't wroth winning if it just "canadian")

The CPL has some mountains to climb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tfc s win was major for me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto FC is the fourth biggest team in Toronto, so the qualifier "of the big 4" really doesn't make any sense to me.

I also find the thing about saying MLS isn't amongst the top 4 leagues in soccer kinda annoying. Hockey, baseball and American football are virtually non-existent sports anywhere outside of North America.

Basketball at least has some legitimate claim to being a world sport, which is why I think this win is bigger than Blue Jays winning the World Series, or frankly the Leafs winning the Stanley Cup if that ever happened.
    Last edited by Canary10; 06-14-2019 at 10:59 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The passing over of TFC when they are talking about Toronto sports team championships does annoy me too but not surprising. Lots of people are ignorant. I only caught part of it as he was saying it but I am pretty sure Derringer on Q107 said something like "this isn't some little soccer trophy" when they were talking about the difference between TFC winning and the Raptors. Media is always looking for the biggest story or spin. Does it sounds like a bigger accomplishment if they said no Toronto team has won a championship since 1993 or if they said a Toronto team hasn't won a championship since 2017? They go with the biggest spin. You can't compare the publicity and following the Raptors got versus TFC during their playoff run and that is not up for debate. The Raps following was amazing from everyone across the country. The crowds and excitement were excellent and would be great to have that for TFC one day but not holding my breath. The issue is the lack of acknowledgement and sometimes heavy downplay of TFC's accomplishment that is annoying. I tuned out of most of the Raps coverage just because it irks me all the time. It is what it is though. People will always have their own opinion. As long as I am in the stadium or at home with like minded people watching TFC I really don't care about others and their opinions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Hockey, baseball and American football are virtually non-existent sports anywhere outside of North America.
    "Baseball and American football are virtually non-existent sports anywhere outside of North America."

Corrected you.
    Hockey is a popular sport in many countries outside USA and Canada!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    "Baseball and American football are virtually non-existent sports anywhere outside of North America."

Corrected you.
    My relatives in the UK call it ice hockey to differentiate it from field hockey. I'm not sure we have a good perspective in Canada on how not popular hockey really is everywhere else. It's not even really that popular in the US.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto FC is the fourth biggest team in Toronto, so the qualifier "of the big 4" really doesn't make any sense to me.
    Yeah media keeps saying the first of "the big 4" of Toronto sports teams to win something in years. People are regurgitating that all over social media. Leafs, Raptors, Jays.....what is the other "big 4" team if not TFC? I doubt it would be Argos. They don't even have their own stadium and have to leach off others for a place to play and they also play in a Canadian only league and not a North American league. Maybe they need to change that to "big 3" if they are not counting TFC so they don't sound ignorant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Yeah media keeps saying the first of "the big 4" of Toronto sports teams to win something in years. People are regurgitating that all over social media. Leafs, Raptors, Jays.....what is the other "big 4" team if not TFC? I doubt it would be Argos. They don't even have their own stadium and have to leach off others for a place to play and they also play in a Canadian only league and not a North American league. Maybe they need to change that to "big 3" if they are not counting TFC so they don't sound ignorant.
    I think they are speaking about the 4 major sports in the common US-Canada sports market, and in this case the 4th Toronto team would be the non existent "Toronto NFL Team".

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

#4 is the NFL

Personally, I think #4 would either be Italy at the World Cup or India in cricket.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A big part of the problem is that Canadians tend to measure how important something is by whether Americans think it is important.

So NFL, NBA, MLB, and (in part of the US) NHL have the hype.

Soccer, lacrosse, CFL, rugby get limited respect.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they are speaking about the 4 major sports in the common US-Canada sports market, and in this case the 4th Toronto team would be the non existent "Toronto NFL Team".
    Yeah I figure that is what they are meaning (top 4 popular leagues in North America and not top 4 Toronto teams). They just sound really ignorant saying what they are saying because they are not saying what we all assume they mean.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My relatives in the UK call it ice hockey to differentiate it from field hockey. I'm not sure we have a good perspective in Canada on how not popular hockey really is everywhere else. It's not even really that popular in the US.
    You're completely off the mark around hockey's global footprint. Most countries outside North America call it Ice Hockey for differentiation sake but that has nothing to due with it's popularity outside North America. That's simply a bad take and you should apologize
    Last edited by Bellzy; 06-14-2019 at 12:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Corrected you.
    just not always "ice" hockey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    A big part of the problem is that Canadians tend to measure how important something is by whether Americans think it is important.

So NFL, NBA, MLB, and (in part of the US) NHL have the hype.

Soccer, lacrosse, CFL, rugby get limited respect.
    americans love their outdoor lacrosse, just not beyond college for some reason

Edit:
    God bless google
    Premier Lacrosse League is an American professional field lacrosse league. The league's inaugural season debuted on June 1, 2019, and includes a 14-week tour-based schedule taking place in 12 "major-market cities."Wikipedia
    FINALLY! I love the strategy of outdoor lacrosse. its like soccer meets basketball
    Last edited by C.Ronaldo; 06-14-2019 at 01:02 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Corrected you.
    Ice hockey is the official national winter sport of Canada. In addition, ice hockey is the most popular winter sport in Belarus, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Finland,Latvia, Russia, Slovakia, Sweden, and Switzerland. Really not too many countries. The reality is Baseball, Pointy Football, and Hockey are relatively niche sports worldwide and the obvious insecurity of our so called sportscasters in this country is to put something down that they do not know/understand, thus the continuous bias against soccer.