Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    That CCL run was a year ago and we lost to a semi-pro Panamian team in the round of 16 in our latest attempt.
    We haven't had the same very good roster. When TFC won the cup, the bonuses that kicked in forced TFC to shed some key players (eg Beitashour) that were necessary to play Vanney's system. The replacements Bez got were duds and Curtis hasn't addressed the issue yet.

So either Curtis gets the players, Vanney adapts to a less than ideal roster (which I think he's capable of but he's stubborn), or we get a new coach. I'm sure Curtis has his own guy on his rolodex ready to replace Vanney so Vanney's tenure isn't completely secure.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 05-30-2019 at 06:11 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    100%. Even though we didn't bring in reinforcements, we all know the players are better than the results because we've seen it.

Some people may blame Curtis, and to a degree that's fair based on what he did (and didn't) bring in this off-season. But some blame needs to be laid at Vanney's feet when we can't get a result with players that we know are good enough to do so. It's not fair to say we should be at the top of the league or near it with this roster, but we should definitely not be doing this poorly.
    Unfortunately, thats true. We are unbalanced but with the midfield strength we have should be playing better and not losing in such crap ways

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    I still look forward to seeing this game on Friday. I will continue to watch every minute of every game like I normally do but I will say that the wind is a little bit out of my sails with TFC these days and I find I am not tuning into this forum or any other places for news like I used to. Maybe shit has to really hit the fan to get a reaction. I remember a time when that happened and they brought in Lieweke....Day 1 ticket prices anyone? Haha. Ok but seriously we are not there yet but feeling kind of bummed as a TFC fan these days.
    yah. Blah . Just blah

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't expect Osorio - Wheeler tweeted out something about him & Henry having "legit injury concerns" for the Gold Cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I think Vanney's a good coach of good players, because he uses a system that attempts to control the clock and build an attack patiently.

I think it's tough to get that combination of players together in this league. And the direction they're more likely going is trying to copy teams like NY and ATL who are selling players they developed for big bucks.

Unless he adapts tactically to what he has, and quickly, he won't be around at the end of the season. My bet is that Curtis has been told to be very careful with his TAM and DP money after the Lieweke years, and whoever we sign in the window will either be a cheap flyer on someone who might 'step up' in MLS as a lower league, or a hot young player from another MLS team, or depth. They're not going to break the bank on a TAM player, or get Bradley to knock his deal down to TAM.

So we don't have a big budget to break. Curtis has to get someone practical but better than MLS, which plenty of other teams have managed. It has to be someone who is adept at beating guys on the dribble but also a finisher, so he can deputize as a striker if necessary, or play next to Jozy instead of wide. And we need a defender at regular MLS prices, to replace Zavaleta in the starting lineup.

Given how weak Auro's defending is, we could use a proper fullback, too.

So, we have serious problems that aren't going to be addressed in one window. I am betting Curtis' consistent message right now is that whether it costs the club a position this year or not, we build from within and buy wisely. It's what he specializes in, it's what MLSE will want to hear.

So I don't think his odds are great. He has to change things up, learn to play with weaker players through tactical adaption. When we played with both Hamilton and Ako up top, they did well. The first time Altidore goes down, he abandons that.

I don't know. Yeah, we need players. But we need more that two offensive sets designed for ideal rosters.
    I found that baffling. it is almost like he wanted Hamilton to fail. And some other stuff - the line up against Atlanta, playing Bradley and Oso until they got hurt, Dorsey on the bench instead of Shaffleburg - little things, but bizarre judgment.

Van der Weil was right. Its like the 94 Jays, unfortunately - the club isn't committed to doing everything to win aka "you're not trying to win" and Vanney will be the first fall guy in a cynical move by Curtis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, i know this is the wrong place but bear with me mods - is anyone meeting up pregame in Vancouver and if so where?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Man Vancouver looked pretty happy at home vs Dallas. Friday will be a tense night.

Glad no Raps that night.
    Bit early on this, but I was checking the schedule for the next home game and the Raps play Game 4 on Fri June 7 at 9 when TFC plays SKC at home.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy confirmed in Vancouver, in case anybody was asking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Van der Weil was right. Its like the 94 Jays, unfortunately - the club isn't committed to doing everything to win aka "you're not trying to win" and Vanney will be the first fall guy in a cynical move by Curtis.
    While I agree what we’re seeing from the club lately is underwhelming, the headline of that VDW saga reads something like “Hobo tells Business Man to Get Job”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    While I agree what we’re seeing from the club lately is underwhelming, the headline of that VDW saga reads something like “Hobo tells Business Man to Get Job”
    Hahahahaha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    “Wealthy ex-Canal swamp German dweller and streetwear enthusiast married to Sports Illustrated Swimsuit model and currently living the good life despite being unemployed” doesn’t have the same ring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow! So 90 mins from game time and this is the first post in the game thread today........not exactly sure what to make of this other than a lack of excitement I guess. Big anniversary celebrations in Vancouver today let’s hope we can spoil their party. At least with Poz and Jozy back together we should be able to create some chances. And Drew making his 400th MLS appearance let’s hope we can make it an occasion he can truly enjoy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess we’ll see whether Boyd actually does anything as he’s starting up too with Jozy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m clearly not keeping up. Are Bradley and Oso injured?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    I’m clearly not keeping up. Are Bradley and Oso injured?
    Yes, they both missed the last game.

Hoping Ciman is at RB and Laryea at RM in a 4-4-2 and its not a 3-5-2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well Boyd gets his chance with a healthy Poz and Jozy, time to show what you got....if anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mavinga way slow there. What the fuck was he doing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Left-right, left, right. No final ball in sight, no movement or attacking runs inside the 18

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m so excited to watch this new episode of TFC vs Parked Bus!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bus firmly parked

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"on the pitch, I think of myself as a monster. I’m one of those guys who presses the defenders to try to force them to make mistakes, and just puts my body into everything. I just go out and kill people in the name of the team." - Terrence Boyd

I'll let everyone on this board decide for themselves if this statement holds up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are unreal at getting the ball to the final third and doing absolutely nothing with it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This team needs to train with a stop watch telling them if they don't get a shot on in 10 seconds they lose it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by daner90 View Post
    We are unreal at getting the ball to the final third and doing absolutely nothing with it.
    We seem disinterested in anything but possession. They don't even try to penetrate. They're just tentative at everything. Pull the fucking trigger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They're HAPPY with this. Is everyone listening? Complete control, with no offensive threat so far, and they're content.

Edit: So they can't even see the inevitable counter goal coming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fire the whole medical staff. Hold someone accountable for this fucking injury crisis of the last year and a half.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

See Vancouver pulling us up field? That's tactics.

We don't move the other team. We just try to play through them

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ugh. Not good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    We seem disinterested in anything but possession. They don't even try to penetrate. They're just tentative at everything. Pull the fucking trigger.
    Agreed. Just forget where the ball is and watch the 3-4 guys in the box waiting for the pass. Waiting is the key word here because nobody moves until it’s clear there might be a final ball coming. That’s not good enough, they need to anticipate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fraser is good, maybe it is time to move on from Bradley