Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would interpret that as more of a reminder of the Orlando situation I think.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    At the presser Manning seemed pissed off at Curtis like it 100% was Curtis' fault. Curtis is likely on very thin ice
    This is what I got from the presser:

- Manning trusts Ali to do his thing. As any good leader would do. He trusted Ali's judgement in bringing in Armas
    - When results started to sour, Manning stepped in and ended it

- Curtis still believes what Armas was selling is the right way to go, but not sure the tactical approach was right
    - Manning is skeptical on Armas approach. He knows the tactical approach wasn't right.
    - Manning knows what was working before and what's not working now, but his response as to next steps means they need to reevaluate what they originally believed about the post Vanney Era.

They are doubling back and re-planning how to TFC evolves from here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    "In a lot of ways, Chris had no chance from the beginning. And that's no fault of his own." - Michael Bradley
    To me, this doesn't jive with him earlier saying the players backed Armas 1000%. What's going on behind the scenes? I get the feeling we're in for more team implosion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    To me, this doesn't jive with him earlier saying the players backed Armas 1000%. What's going on behind the scenes? I get the feeling we're in for more team implosion.
    He's talking about Curtis, not the players, I suspect. Their "1000%" was trying his system. That doesn't mean they personally liked it or were happy with it, just that they were trying to do their jobs.

But the front office made it next to impossible to change systems. It didn't fill the glaring central defense hole, or find another serious goal threat. We have older players, wedded to a slower possession system, without the speed or dynamism to incorporate it -- or the belief, probably, in themselves or their manager, given that it meant abandoning a working, competitive system.

Adjusting to all of that was Curtis' responsibility. And it's quite possible this entire tactical approach was being dictated to Armas from above; it would explain why, on their first couple of losses, they looked so good for a spell reverting to "Vanney ball". We all even speculated whether they were ignoring the coach, but maybe it was the coach listening to his players and ignoring the GM.

After NY and his issues with Marsch, a battle he lost, I don't doubt that perhaps Curtis has control issues, just as Mo clearly did.

If Curtis was dictating the tactical approach, then Armas truly had no chance. That doesn't absolve him of responsibility for going along with it or agreeing to do so. and given that he kept pressing inappropriately in NY, it may be that it was all his call and Bradley is just mad at his teammates. But who knows, could be either really.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    The full quote from Bradley said for the past 18 months so that was during Vanney time so I believe he was referring to playing in Florida and being away from home for so long. I feel his quote is having a lot read into it that isn't really there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Curtis is dictating tactics in any form he should be fired.

You find a coach/manager who has the vision regarding playstyle and personal needed, then the GM(Curtis) does everything to get the players the coach/manager wants.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Jozy was brought back by Manning, and Curtis had nothing to do with it.

Looks to me like Curtis is no longer the acting GM, regardless of his current title.

Hiring his buddy Armas to be coach in what turned out to be a horribly gone wrong experiment when there has to have been many much more qualified coaches available appears to have shredded his reputation with Manning.

It's still possible that he will stay on more as a scout and capologist, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him depart after Manning decides who is the permanent coach (and it will be Manning who decides that, not Curtis). One thing for sure, Curtis will not be given the same level of trust again.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 07-13-2021 at 04:35 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Ali Curtis Deathwatch is officially on.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    So Jozy was brought back by Manning, and Curtis had nothing to do with it.

Looks to me like Curtis is no longer the acting GM, regardless of his current title.

Hiring his buddy Armas to be coach in what turned out to be a horribly gone wrong experiment when there has to have been many much more qualified coaches available appears to have shredded his reputation with Manning.

It's still possible that he will stay on more as a scout and capologist, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him depart after Manning decides who is the permanent coach (and it will be Manning who decides that, not Curtis). One thing for sure, Curtis will not be given the same level of trust again.

Just like I said in my prior post - I think Manning stepped in to right this ship. He gave Curtis the benefit of leading the change at TFC and Curtis failed.
    So now they are resetting the plan and will try again - but I don't think Curtis will have as much say as he did the first time around.

Is the Curtis death watch on? I don't know because I don't know how much influence he had in landing the following players:
    Pozuelo; Omar; Soteldo; Lawrence

Those are 4 very big pieces to our immediate and future success.

Maybe Curtis just becomes a guy to get players. He had his chance at a bigger architect role, but couldn't manage it. The Jozy situation is a part of that failed role IMO.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Is the Curtis death watch on? I don't know because I don't know how much influence he had in landing the following players:
    Pozuelo; Omar; Soteldo; Lawrence

Those are 4 very big pieces to our immediate and future success.

Maybe Curtis just becomes a guy to get players. He had his chance at a bigger architect role, but couldn't manage it. The Jozy situation is a part of that failed role IMO.
    He has done well with player acquisitions albeit he is snail paced. Question is will he stick around if any of this is true and he has sort of an unofficial demotion put on him?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    He has done well with player acquisitions albeit he is snail paced. Question is will he stick around if any of this is true and he has sort of an unofficial demotion put on him?
    He'll stick around. This is the best club he'll be able to work at for a while. The club with the most money and drive he'll be able to be a part of.

LAFC; LAG; ATL; Seattle....these teams won't take him on.
    He's no Bez.
    Bez was a guy who was making his way up to president when he was at TFC. We were a stepping stone to something bigger for him.

I don't think Curtis has that pedigree. At least that's what he's shown me so far.
    Maybe he's a USL level president. but not MLS. He doesn't have that swagger.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    He'll stick around. This is the best club he'll be able to work at for a while. The club with the most money and drive he'll be able to be a part of.

LAFC; LAG; ATL; Seattle....these teams won't take him on.
    He's no Bez.
    Bez was a guy who was making his way up to president when he was at TFC. We were a stepping stone to something bigger for him.

I don't think Curtis has that pedigree. At least that's what he's shown me so far.
    Maybe he's a USL level president. but not MLS. He doesn't have that swagger.
    Not sure if burned any bridges but he could go back to finance. Does the CFL need a new commisioner?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He isn’t sticking around!

Manning made the play when he called Jozy and asked him to come back. He also isn’t cleaning up, or letting Curtis clean up, that “permanent interim by Monday” nonsense.

It is over. Curtis is already gone. He maybe doesn't know it yet, but from now on, every text, every phone call, Curtis will be thinking, is this it?

Not everything ends with a bang. MLSE are paying him either way so they don’t “need” to do anything until they want/need to hire a new guy in the role. Soon enough Ali will leave for a new job, and it'll be him quitting. Everyone will smile and say how sad they are to see him go. (The Soviet politburo used to quietly send guys on holiday, for weeks, while they figured out how/when to dribble out the news of excommunications.)

It is a tough business.
    Last edited by ensco; 07-13-2021 at 02:34 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He can go back to his banking job or work in the commissioner's office. He'll have something to fall back on, but I seriously doubt he works in another teams front office anytime soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

Manning made the play when he called Jozy and asked him to come back. He also isn’t cleaning up, or letting Curtis clean up, that “permanent interim by Monday” nonsense.

It is over. Curtis is already gone. He maybe doesn't know it yet, but from now on, every text, every phone call, Curtis will be thinking, is this it?

Not everything ends with a bang. MLSE are paying him either way so they don’t “need” to do anything until they want/need to hire a new guy in the role. Soon enough Ali will leave for a new job, and it'll be him quitting. Everyone will smile and say how sad they are to see him go. (The Soviet politburo used to quietly send guys on holiday, for weeks, while they figured out how/when to dribble out the news of excommunications.)

It is a tough business.
    This is harsh, but I think quite accurate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is a tough business.
    I’d be pleased if this was the case but are we getting ahead of ourselves here reading the tea leaves?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I’d be pleased if this was the case but are we getting ahead of ourselves here reading the tea leaves?
    I have called 7 of the last 3 TFC crises…
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It is a tough business.
    Yup. Can't argue against these points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always like a good (informed) speculative take.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like that tag line.

Your analysis sounds spot on here - the company dynamic has shifted markedly. Next clues - how the "we are home" rollout & any player personnel changes are done

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is a tough business.
    I agree 100%, it is only a matter of time before Curtis leaves now. With Manning stepping in to bring Jozy back into the fold signed the death warrant. Curtis is a GM in title only now and it will only be a matter of time before he is out the door. I do not see him leaving before the off season at the earliest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is a tough business.
    This.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its on manning for fully listening and supporting Curtis prior to understanding what was happening.

Also no one brought up TFC social media team, they need to be let go for posting all those cringe worth posts recently.

Clearly this was directive of upper management with pictures of bono, bradley sound bite or mavinga's tweet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is a tough business.
    In the UK they call it “gardening leave”. Useful in a variety of situations, including discipline, but quite applicable in what Ensco describes.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 07-14-2021 at 03:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    He can go back to his banking job or work in the commissioner's office. He'll have something to fall back on, but I seriously doubt he works in another teams front office anytime soon.
    He did bring in Soteldo and Poz. Gives something on the credit side of the ledger. So we need to be fair there, even for those of us (like me) who blame him for the Armas and Jozy fiascos.

One thing is clear. Manning won’t want to be GM for very long. And he is right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    He did bring in Soteldo and Poz. Gives something on the credit side of the ledger. So we need to be fair there, even for those of us (like me) who blame him for the Armas and Jozy fiascos.

One thing is clear. Manning won’t want to be GM for very long. And he is right now.
    I'm fairly certain Poz was identified before Curtis came here, he nearly cocked it up and had to have Manning close the deal.

Regarding Sotledo, I will give him credit, that looks like a very solid signing with a lot of upside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I'm fairly certain Poz was identified before Curtis came here, he nearly cocked it up and had to have Manning close the deal.

Regarding Sotledo, I will give him credit, that looks like a very solid signing with a lot of upside.
    I think you have to give him credit for it. If you’re going to sit in that seat and take somebody else’s opinion on that big a signing, you still bare the risks & rewards of it professionally. No way any competent GM would just close their eyes and say “go ahead”. And from what we know of Curtis, it’s not like he’s the type to skip the details.

Still not a fan overall but I give him full marks for that one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Phil Neville will be gone at Miami soon enough. Totally tactically inept. He talks In his interview today how Kieran Gibbs can help turn the season around.

But Miami only has nine goals through eleven games, so I suspect a 31 year old wingback ain’t going to solve the problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From the Guardian's story on Neville today. More familiarity!

Getting that gig had nothing to do with lucky stars, it has been claimed, even if the club is part-owned by his longtime mucker and business associate, David Beckham. “The interview process was as hard as any I have done,” recited Neville in May during a rare period when no Class of 92 documentaries were being filmed.

Beckham had struck a similar note at the manager’s unveiling, insisting that the appointment was one of life’s sweet coincidences, that his buddy just happened to be the perfect candidate. “[It’s] nothing to do with the relationship we have, the friendship we have, the loyalty we have to each other, he’s the right man for the job,” trumpeted Beckham before Neville chimed in with his mission statement: “This fantastic soccer-loving market deserves consistent performances and a winning mentality, and I look forward to getting to work.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hard to believe Gary isn't the biggest managerial fuck up in the family, but I don't think anybody believed Beckhams bullshit there and this catastrophe of a team was inevitable - they must be one of the worst run teams in league history so far