Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    Curtis has lost the plot completely

Curtis is the real problem…. Manning gets a limited pass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The reason why Curtis should be fired is apparent from Armas's handling of the squad. A GM should know the strengths and weaknesses of the players currently on the team through interactions with the previous coach. The fact that he hired Armas who had a coaching style that was not a match for the personnel available would seem to indicate that he did not have a good rapport with the previous coach who should have been able to tell him where the weak points were and what coach would best fit the personnel. I'm betting that's one of the reasons why Vanney left - Curtis either didn't value him as a resource regarding personnel decisions or wanted to put his own stamp on the club in a different style but lacks the talent to do so.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Curtis has to go. Put some temp guys in place of Curtis and Armas.

Manning should focus on the Argos, hire somebody else to run the soccer side. Let him hire a new (permanent) GM and coach.

That probably won't happen, but it's what needs to happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    The reason why Curtis should be fired is apparent from Armas's handling of the squad. A GM should know the strengths and weaknesses of the players currently on the team through interactions with the previous coach. The fact that he hired Armas who had a coaching style that was not a match for the personnel available would seem to indicate that he did not have a good rapport with the previous coach who should have been able to tell him where the weak points were and what coach would best fit the personnel. I'm betting that's one of the reasons why Vanney left - Curtis either didn't value him as a resource regarding personnel decisions or wanted to put his own stamp on the club in a different style but lacks the talent to do so.
    It just goes to show how poor a job was done on the interview / diligence in hiring a coach.

A no-brainer question in that process is to ask what style of play is intended. And then, given Armas’s preferred style, asking why it would actually work given our roster limitations. It should have been obvious enough at that point this was all a bad idea.

But I do wonder, given past history, if this isn’t necessarily 100% an Armas decision. Maybe Ali Curtis wants the press and made that known when he was doing the hiring. In which case, he’s just a much the problem.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still think Armas was plan B.

DCU was negotiating terms & TFC swept in.

TFC doesn't do this unless their plan A went awry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO if Curtis doesn’t want to fire Armas, you fire them both. Not even sure if this belongs here or the Manning thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manning won’t fire either unless ordered by the board. He just extended Ali’s deal and firing him would be an admission of total failure to properly evaluate his report’s performance.

Instead, he’ll cling to the hope of another rationale coming along to justify firings, or bail out into a lateral move to another company (most likely).

There was a massive survey of corporate executive value a few years ago that found 60% of American CEOs detract value from the company they
    lead; guys like Manning don’t survive so long while producing so little unless they’re very good at networking and knowing when to bail.

If he leaves now, it’s like this season doesn’t exist on his CV and someone will be sloppy enough to not check, or to undervalue the warning signs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I still think Armas was plan B.

DCU was negotiating terms & TFC swept in.

TFC doesn't do this unless their plan A went awry.
    I don’t see how Armas was ever going to be a plan A option for a team that just did a rebrand and was linked with several better candidates and ended up hiring one in the end.

Seems like someone throwing around nonsense to get a bad negotiator like Ali Curtis to drop his pants and offer a deal.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The DCU journos, including Goff, are adament that DCU & Armas were stuck on "financial terms" before TFC came by.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The DCU journos, including Goff, are adament that DCU & Armas were stuck on "financial terms" before TFC came by.
    Well, I stand corrected if Goff says it. He’s about as good as they get on MLS beat writing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The TFC admin guy says it will be on YouTube and the website after it wraps up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    The TFC admin guy says it will be on YouTube and the website after it wraps up.
    big club cant have a presser live,,,WHAT A JOKE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ They're attempting to control the narrative. They will be able to splice out any uncomfortable questions before posting it, so I'm hoping the Journos will call them out if they do that. We can't let them shirk their accountability.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This provides a pretty good case for firing Curtis and not just Armas. Plans we saw on the field weren’t just coming from the coach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah that's is why the Bez/Vanney partnership was great, they both understood what each of them had to do and not overstep each other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Ali is willing to bring Jozy back now after Armas has been fired he should be sent packing as well. If he believed that what Jozy did-whatever it was- was so bad that he sided with Armas and agreed to banish a high priced asset than that belief should still be there now. If he isn't sure in his choices or decisions he simply shouldn't be running a team.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    If Ali is willing to bring Jozy back now after Armas has been fired he should be sent packing as well. If he believed that what Jozy did-whatever it was- was so bad that he sided with Armas and agreed to banish a high priced asset than that belief should still be there now. If he isn't sure in his choices or decisions he simply shouldn't be running a team.
    I'd allow Ali to change his mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I ask why? I'm not against Jozy coming back at all but just think that if he changes his mind it just shows a fatal lack of conviction in a key decision making process
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I'd allow Ali to change his mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I ask why? I'm not against Jozy coming back at all but just think that if he changes his mind it just shows a fatal lack of conviction in a key decision making process
    I’m no fan of Curtis, but it may be as simple as he had to back up his coach and now he doesn’t have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I knew from day one Ali Curtis was going to bring his Red Bulls Are Shite people with him. And sure enough he did. And sure enough it’s crashed and burned. He should never have been hired in the first place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All depends on how deep this was. If there was an issue with Armas and that’s it, then no reason not to let him back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Catching the res conference now. Manning seems agitated, looking up or chugging from his water bottle while Curtis drones on. From body-language 101 Curtis is gone as well.

Manning is likely also on his way out and that is why he is pissed off. As he felt the need to mention he has presided over x number of championships, y number of shields, and z number of playoff appearances. My take is Curtis pulled the whole over his eyes and convinced that Armas and his top down approach was the way forward, only for it to fail spectacularly.

Now Manning who was sitting really pretty 6 months ago is now in danger of being canned. If they had gone with anyone with a decent pedigree and they failed (Blanc, Viera) the backlash would not have gone up stream. But they chose someone with personal connections with a very questionable record and now the pressure is on the

Financially this is a big deal, buying out a 3 year contract after 6 months! Then Manning gives the dud GM a 5 year? extension just after he brings in the worst coach in TFC history? Manning needs to be pissed at himself.
    Last edited by SirBobSaget; 07-04-2021 at 10:35 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post
    Catching the res conference now. Manning seems agitated, looking up or chugging from his water bottle while Curtis drones on. From body-language 101 Curtis is gone as well.

Manning is likely also on his way out and that is why he is pissed off. As he felt the need to mention he has presided over x number of championships, y number of shields, and z number of playoff appearances. My take is Curtis pulled the whole over his eyes and convinced that Armas and his top down approach was the way forward, only for it to fail spectacularly.

Now Manning who was sitting really pretty 6 months ago is now in danger of being canned. If they had gone with anyone with a decent pedigree and they failed (Blanc, Viera) the backlash would not have gone up stream. But they chose someone with personal connections with a very questionable record and now the pressure is on the

Financially this is a big deal, buying out a 3 year contract after 6 months! Then Manning gives the dud GM a 5 year? extension just after he brings in the worst coach in TFC history? Manning needs to be pissed at himself.
    Bingo, for the win. Nailed it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where is it confirmed it was 5 years extension? Trying to find it but cant get a solid number, that would be a mind-boggling bad decision.

I guess it was a standard 3 years to go with Armas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Where is it confirmed it was 5 years extension? Trying to find it but cant get a solid number, that would be a mind-boggling bad decision.
    Yeah, it sound impossible to believe that it would be 5 years!
    If true, that would be solid reason for the MLSE suits to fire Manning on spot, that would be a proof that he's more damaging for TFC than Ali is...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

I guess it was a standard 3 years to go with Armas?
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    Yeah, it sound impossible to believe that it would be 5 years!
    If true, that would be solid reason for the MLSE suits to fire Manning on spot, that would be a proof that he's more damaging for TFC than Ali is...
    It seems the Curtis extension was only reported as being "multi-year." This article specifically mentions that the club did not reveal the length of the deal: https://www.northwestgeorgianews.com...4fe0f43c4.html

Manning's extension was for five years, wow: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/bill-manni...-tfc-1.5955344

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Bingo, for the win. Nailed it.
    Summarized everything I was thinking too

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post

Manning's extension was for five years, wow: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/bill-manni...-tfc-1.5955344
    This is for Manning. Not too unreasonable as he's running two organizations now.

If it was for Ali I'd be shocked.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the presser Manning seemed pissed off at Curtis like it 100% was Curtis' fault. Curtis is likely on very thin ice
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"In a lot of ways, Chris had no chance from the beginning. And that's no fault of his own." - Michael Bradley

Interesting quote here from the captain. Pretty blatant slight at Ali and co.