Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure Beckham who was around for version 2.0 MLS understands that its now version 3.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Not sure Beckham who was around for version 2.0 MLS understands that its now version 3.5
    That quote from Higuain about thinking he'd be able to score goals while smoking a cigarette was really telling. It suggested basically the club did nothing to explore what realistic expectations are and then communicate that to signings.

Then they signed Shawcross, whose legs are cooked.

Beyond, when you watch them, it's very much the Mo Johnston "have a kick about" model of guys just setting up triangles and trying to play each other through backlines. Teams just have to sit back a little, stay inside their own half to defend, and they have nothing tactically.

Neville's a travesty of a coach.

That Guardian column is really good, by the way. He went on a manic rant about his own managing genius last year and how he saw things tactically that others can't, so they do enjoy bringing it up ever other week now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since Armas being fired, Ali has been completely invisible to the media. I wonder if he is allowed to bring in any reinforcements?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be fair

Curtis gave a few minute bit on the TSN pregame on Saturday about "getting the stadium ready for this game".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    To be fair

Curtis gave a few minute bit on the TSN pregame on Saturday about "getting the stadium ready for this game".
    Thanks, I was not aware of this fact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frankly, given that we're a Canadian club, the fact that he passed on Tajon Buchanan should be practically disqualifying it itself.

He was high-ranked in the draft, a high-rank Canadian we could've picked, and yet he somehow saw Griffin Dorsey, a utility defender, as a better prospect.

I don't think he has the judgment for the job. Even if you argue that both are nebulous quantities until they've played pro, why not take the Canadian, in a position Canadian pros rarely find themselves in, as an all-out attacker? It's not like we've had a ton of great wingers over the years.

It was a terrible decision that is about to look really stupid, as Euro clubs are now lining up for Buchanan.

Sure, 20/20 hindsight ... which just means respect what actually happened in the past, which is that he totally blew a multi-million dollar call.

It's not like Sigma's other top prospects managed to... oh, wait...

Truly irksome.

We need a GM with an eye for talent and connections to make it happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Frankly, given that we're a Canadian club, the fact that he passed on Tajon Buchanan should be practically disqualifying it itself.

He was high-ranked in the draft, a high-rank Canadian we could've picked, and yet he somehow saw Griffin Dorsey, a utility defender, as a better prospect.

I don't think he has the judgment for the job. Even if you argue that both are nebulous quantities until they've played pro, why not take the Canadian, in a position Canadian pros rarely find themselves in, as an all-out attacker? It's not like we've had a ton of great wingers over the years.

It was a terrible decision that is about to look really stupid, as Euro clubs are now lining up for Buchanan.

Sure, 20/20 hindsight ... which just means respect what actually happened in the past, which is that he totally blew a multi-million dollar call.

It's not like Sigma's other top prospects managed to... oh, wait...

Truly irksome.

We need a GM with an eye for talent and connections to make it happen.
    Dayne St Clair was also picked right after our Dorsey selection

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this is misplaced. My opinion, Manning quietly made all these decisions, I never bought the idea that Ali would be allowed to have the final say on talent.

Dorsey's coach was an MLS player in the early years, I assume that he would be connected to Manning that way....
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I think this is misplaced. My opinion, Manning quietly made all these decisions, I never bought the idea that Ali would be allowed to have the final say on talent.

Dorsey's coach was an MLS player in the early years, I assume that he would be connected to Manning that way....
    Given that player acquisition is in Curtis' job title and he let him hire Armas, I'm not sure why you think he'd have doubted him before now. It seems more like Manning divorced himself from what was going on until it was too late.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think Curtis even hired Armas, although I am sure Armas was his recommendation. Let alone the rest of it.

I think Manning is running a master class in suit life here.

These "President" setups when there is a GM are all 100% suspect, they mask corporate dysfunction. In all sports. Every one of them.

No. team. needs. both. a. President. and. a. GM.
    Last edited by ensco; 07-23-2021 at 04:27 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think Curtis even hired Armas, although I am sure Armas was his recommendation. Let alone the rest of it.

These "President" setups when there is a GM are all 100% suspect, they mask corporate dysfunction. In all sports. Every one of them.

Maybe. It would fit his MO, as he did that in Salt Lake. Technically he was president but he took care of identifying signings. He was terrible at it, though, according to their fans. Outside of Rusnak, nobody they signed during his tenure showed much. Some of them though he was absentee, others thought he just took what was offered. But there was no concerted effort to spend money and improve the club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He had a chat with Wheeler today. For anyone wondering, the rate at which someone blinks on camera generally corresponds with their nervousness.

https://youtu.be/HtoT-qkOGXE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think I can put myself through 40 minutes of Curtis talking. Does Wheeler ask any hard ball questions, or is it all softies?

Edit: Side note, Wheeler should totally go bald.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I don't think I can put myself through 40 minutes of Curtis talking. Does Wheeler ask any hard ball questions, or is it all softies?
    All set up softies and he spends several minutes discussing Achara as "an addition" and that he's really happy with the roster as it is. There are no hard plans to add anyone but there's "always potential".

Total shit, basically. A shit Sundae.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All set up softies and he spends several minutes discussing Achara as "an addition" and that he's really happy with the roster as it is. There are no hard plans to add anyone but there's "always potential".

Thank you for letting us all know. Listening to Curtis talk makes me want to go ballistic!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A Stick View Post
    Since Armas being fired, Ali has been completely invisible to the media. I wonder if he is allowed to bring in any reinforcements?
    Eyes are def on this board. Week later we get a 40 minute Ali Curtis interview where he blinks at the rate a hummingbird flaps its wings.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A Stick View Post
    Yes. Our reinforcements are Achara, the returning Gold Cup players, and maybe Gallardo if Curtis can free up an international roster spot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Yes. Our reinforcements are Achara, the returning Gold Cup players, and maybe Gallardo if Curtis can free up an international roster spot.
    Galaxy just loaned one of their FOUR spare center halfs to Alajuelense. I wonder if we even inquired.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ya it was a shit interview. He doesn't say much of anything. Dances around a bunch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i can hear him now,getting oso.lareya,zava,lawrence back are like 4 new signings 4 intl players.im always trying to improve our team but with covid and stuff its been hard.pgs 89 and 90 from his 200 pg manifesto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Galaxy just loaned one of their FOUR spare center halfs to Alajuelense. I wonder if we even inquired.
    Carrier pigeon will arrive with an enquiry note in about another week.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Bou stomps on Priso’s ankle, PRO does nothin’ and Ali doesn’t even appeal. F—kin’ Crickets. Highest Payroll in the league, worst record. I honestly can’t ever remember this happening, in any sport. HOW DOES HE STILL HAVE A JOB! Manning wake up or your next!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    So Bou stomps on Priso’s ankle, PRO does nothin’ and Ali doesn’t even appeal. F—kin’ Crickets. Highest Payroll in the league, worst record. I honestly can’t ever remember this happening, in any sport. HOW DOES HE STILL HAVE A JOB! Manning wake up or your next!!!
    We don't know this. If he did they wouldn't tell us anyway. They don't give any news about anything so this would only make it to our ears if the league did something about it and it was announced on the MLS site/Twitter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We don't know this. If he did they wouldn't tell us anyway. They don't give any news about anything so this would only make it to our ears if the league did something about it and it was announced on the MLS site/Twitter.
    the the guy is in hiding,not a peep from him since that presser

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

priso posted on his IG he is done for the season

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm so disappointed in our FO. I can't even blame public or media for treating this team like second class when our own FO treats the team as bush league. On top of it Curtis has absolutely no personality. He literally brings nothing positive to this team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Agreed.

This team is at risk of shedding interest right at the point where you’d want it to do so the least: heading into a WCQ cycle that could increase the interest from sports fans more broadly in club soccer. Press coverage has also been awful.

I would like to see Manning justify his track record here vs. Seattle’s. Basically he showed up in time to collect credit for Leiweke’s work and has little to show vs. the money spent.

He should be on the chopping block just as much as Curtis is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They need to get the cannon that they fired Armas out of and prime that bad boy up.

Manning as well, but Curtis needs to be gone far and fast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It works for the Raptors, since Masai has commitments with Giants of Africa and Bobby Webster is more than capable of running deals while Masai is away.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he needs to go before the end of the year.

i can't think of any other profession where you could possibly perform this poorly and keep your job.

he's assembled a squad with the biggest wage budget by a distance in MLS, and they are comprehensively in last place, with multiple coaches failing to get half decent results with it.

enough is enough.