Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    The union hasn't released salaries, but the MLS website released his salary.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/...-terrence-boyd

So yes, he's making wayyy too much money.
    Wow, according to the article he "is capable of scoring goals in MLS". Interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's simple: if he fails to bring in players then he should be let go. To be honest, both coaching staff and FO need to be let go if TFC fail to make it to the playoffs this year. We need people running this team that have high standards which I personally don't believe current FO has based on their history. I believe Giovinco and Van der Wiel when they said TFC isn't serious of winning anymore. This might explain why some players look disinterested (like Bradley) this year.

Amount of money and resources invested in this club should make TFC a powerhouse in this league so there's no excuses of being losing team. I think MLSE needs to get more involved here to keep TFC FO on check.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    It's simple: if he fails to bring in players then he should be let go. To be honest, both coaching staff and FO need to be let go if TFC fail to make it to the playoffs this year. We need people running this team that have high standards which I personally don't believe current FO has based on their history. I believe Giovinco and Van der Wiel when they said TFC isn't serious of winning anymore. This might explain why some players look disinterested (like Bradley) this year.

Amount of money and resources invested in this club should make TFC a powerhouse in this league so there's no excuses of being losing team. I think MLSE needs to get more involved here to keep TFC FO on check.
    It’s a test of Manning, not Curtis. On his watch we have lost at least the following players without replacing them:

Beitashour
    Giovinco
    Edwards
    Hasler
    Ricketts
    Cheyrou

And allowed the following players to age without replacing them:

Morrow
    Moor

And brought in the following players who didn’t work or haven’t yet worked:

Spencer
    Boyd
    Bakero
    VdW
    Ciman

And I would add Auro to that as he is flawed defensively

And let Zavaleta regress and Delgado stagnate.

Against that:

Poz
    DeLeon
    Laryea
    Westberg

Only Osorio and Chapman have really progressed in the past two years, perhaps Akinola

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This idea that this admin doesn't care to win falls at one particular hurdle from this spring - the Pozuelo "we are going to get him now" saga.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    This idea that this admin doesn't care to win falls at one particular hurdle from this spring - the Pozuelo "we are going to get him now" saga.
    I agree that they aren’t trying not to win. The bigger questions are judgment and competence. Getting basic building blocks wrong. But it’s also pretty clear that they are not all in to win either.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd argue that Boyd was intended to be an upgrade to Ricketts. It's pretty obvious that has not turned out to be the case. Boyd is far worse a signing than VdW.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I'd argue that Boyd was intended to be an upgrade to Ricketts. It's pretty obvious that has not turned out to be the case. Boyd is far worse a signing than VdW.
    Let’s play that out a bit and assume they were fairly certain about Boyd before letting Ricketts go. That betrays both a lack of judgment and a USMNT bias as some have suggested - I think they call it confirmation bias. That would be in Bez / Manning.

Our success with Morrow Beita Moor Seba Bradley and VV seems to have gone to managements head a bit. Too confident in their judgment. But they are like players; only as good as their last game.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VDW was a WAY worse signing then Boyd is:

Compare

Not good enough
    Works hard
    Works in practice
    No distraction

vs.

Not good enough
    Doesn't work hard in games
    Doesn't work hard in practice
    Distraction within the team
    Paid a HECK of a lot more

I get a lot of people really dig on the "he told off the manager I can't stand" thing but looking back on him - VDW was crap. Most of us came to that conclusion by September of last year.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 06-05-2019 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Took out "what does support mean" discussion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Compare

Not good enough
    Works hard
    Works in practice
    No distraction

vs.

Not good enough

I don't get this "VDW was a good player" revisionism. I get a lot of people really dig on the "he told off the manager I can't stand" thing but looking back on him - VDW was crap.
    VDW was good, in 2010.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Compare

Not good enough
    Works hard
    Works in practice
    No distraction

vs.

Not good enough

I get a lot of people really dig on the "he told off the manager I can't stand" thing but looking back on him - VDW was crap. Most of us came to that conclusion by September of last year.
    Considering VdW wasn’t abjectly awful here, I’d say that’s a bit inaccurate.

He had assists, played out of position numerous times due to injuries to other members of the squad, had some good games, and overall wasn’t awful. Did he have some bad games? Sure. Some good ones? Yep.

Was he worth his salary here? Nope. Was he lazy? Confrontational? Bad attitude? Yep, but everyone already knew that before he arrived.

So, the upside for Boyd is that he’s cheap and not a jerk. The downside is that he’s inept and useless.

The upside for VdW is that he knows what shape a football is (at the very least).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    Considering VdW wasn’t abjectly awful here, I’d say that’s a bit inaccurate.

He had assists, played out of position numerous times due to injuries to other members of the squad, had some good games, and overall wasn’t awful. Did he have some bad games? Sure. Some good ones? Yep.

Was he worth his salary here? Nope. Was he lazy? Confrontational? Bad attitude? Yep, but everyone already knew that before he arrived.

So, the upside for Boyd is that he’s cheap and not a jerk. The downside is that he’s inept and useless.

The upside for VdW is that he knows what shape a football is (at the very least).
    This is the most accurate VdW assessment I've seen. I don't know why so many people thought he was so obviously awful.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    This is the most accurate VdW assessment I've seen. I don't know why so many people thought he was so obviously awful.
    He wasn't good and his side was responsible for a bulk of the goals against.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Agreed. He clearly has the ability to be good but in terms of willingness? He was out for a walk in the park.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Agreed. He clearly has the ability to be good but in terms of willingness? He was out for a walk in the park.
    Totally. He could have been one of the best defenders in MLS but in actuality he was around Zavaleta level or worse because he was off in dream land for most of the matches. People on here complain a lot about Ciman getting caught up field out of position or Auro not defending the cross. Go re-watch last season and see what VDW did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I don’t think he was “good,” he just wasn’t terrible or Boyd-tier.

He also wasn’t solely responsible for our defensive issues last season (not even close), and I would like to see the statistic on the bulk of goals caused by him specifically while placing his natural position and not playing on the left or as a CB in the back 2-3.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    I don’t think he was “good,” he just wasn’t terrible or Boyd-tier.
    Maybe not Boyd-tier, more like Hagglund-tier but getting paid Vasquez-tier. All the while being on a Gerba level laziness tier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Curtis initially applied for the job in NY with a 300-page plan he insisted was required to reshape the club and was laughed out of the place. He then came back with more humble expectations and eventually won them over, so he worked his way into the gig over time, which can be telling. But there are some N Y fans who attribute their youth advancement to him forcing their use. But once they decided Jesse Marsch was their guy, he and Curtis couldn’t stand each other and it quickly became a “him or me” scenario.

So there was quite a bit of drama there over him, some who thought he was a Svengali genius. But Marschs contingent thought he was an idiot, apparently.

Personally I think it’s too early to tell. But as much as I worry about Vanney and motivation and tactical flexibility I still respect what I know and have seen of him more, so far.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The NYRB switch from shite to good was under Curtis' watch though. If he's getting blamed for us being shit while only being here 6 months then he has to get some credit for that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Curtis initially applied for the job in NY with a 300-page plan he insisted was required to reshape the club and was laughed out of the place. He then came back with more humble expectations and eventually won them over, so he worked his way into the gig over time, which can be telling. But there are some N Y fans who attribute their youth advancement to him forcing their use. But once they decided Jesse Marsch was their guy, he and Curtis couldn’t stand each other and it quickly became a “him or me” scenario.

So there was quite a bit of drama there over him, some who thought he was a Svengali genius. But Marschs contingent thought he was an idiot, apparently.

Personally I think it’s too early to tell. But as much as I worry about Vanney and motivation and tactical flexibility I still respect what I know and have seen of him more, so far.
    I've never heard of this version and runs counter to anything published I read around that time. Got a source for it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    I've never heard of this version and runs counter to anything published I read around that time. Got a source for it?
    Just Red Bulls fans chattering at the time, some claiming inside info. I believe SBI also reported On Msrsch and him bejng unable to work together. It’s based in NY.

EDIT https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/16/sports/soccer

the times reported on the split with Marsch and Curtis being shut out of decisions.

I did find a piece However about the big plan and it was apparently not Curtis’ but RB Salzburg’s, so that other part sounds untrue.
    Last edited by jloome; 06-06-2019 at 03:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just Red Bulls fans chattering at the time, some claiming inside info. I believe SBI also reported On Msrsch and him bejng unable to work together. It’s based in NY.

EDIT https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/16/sports/soccer

the times reported on the split with Marsch and Curtis being shut out of decisions.

I did find a piece However about the big plan and it was apparently not Curtis’ but RB Salzburg’s, so that other part sounds untrue.
    I'm only questioning the being laughed out the door over the 300 page thing. It was widely reported that was what got him the gig. He even went so far to pose with it for a SI feature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    I'm only questioning the being laughed out the door over the 300 page thing. It was widely reported that was what got him the gig. He even went so far to pose with it for a SI feature.
    The piece I found today was a followup that said the long-term plan was given to them by Red Bull Salzburg and was already being succesfully implemented there. They had Curtis do it in NY because he knew the ins and outs of the league. But once it was in place, his further decisions were at odds with what Marsch wanted.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The piece I found today was a followup that said the long-term plan was given to them by Red Bull Salzburg and was already being succesfully implemented there. They had Curtis do it in NY because he knew the ins and outs of the league. But once it was in place, his further decisions were at odds with what Marsch wanted.
    So was the 300 page thing from RB Salzburg? Or was it something that Curtis did that was totally ignored?
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    It’s a test of Manning, not Curtis. On his watch we have lost at least the following players without replacing them:

Beitashour
    Giovinco
    Edwards
    Hasler
    Ricketts
    Cheyrou

Morrow
    Moor

Spencer
    Boyd
    Bakero
    VdW
    Ciman

Against that:

Poz
    DeLeon
    Laryea
    Westberg

Only Osorio and Chapman have really progressed in the past two years, perhaps Akinola
    Laryea has turned out to be an OK signing, which I didn't expect, as has DeLeon. Westberg I credit to Vanney.

I'm still not sure what positives Curtis brings to the table.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beitashour
    Giovinco
    Edwards
    Hasler
    Ricketts
    Cheyrou

Morrow
    Moor

Spencer
    Boyd
    Bakero
    VdW
    Ciman

Against that:

Poz
    DeLeon
    Laryea
    Westberg

Auro is pretty good for an MLS RB. Last game i thought he was one of the best players on the field and had to play both RB and LB. He defended well and might be the best crosser not he team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No comment till after Saturday.
    No comment till I see the two new guys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't trust Curtis's ninja turtle face at all. Both he and manning rub me the wrong way

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Mullins for Hamilton was a good deal. The TAM guys are impossible to judge unless they actually get some time in MLS play. If the current trend of them sitting on the bench or pressbox continues then either Curtis can't judge talent in Vanney's eyes or Vanney is making a power play vs. Curtis.

Until we see either Gallardo or Benezet in a match then we can't say whether Curtis blew these two signings or if there's more going on here behind the scenes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beitashour
    Giovinco
    Edwards
    Hasler
    Ricketts
    Cheyrou

Morrow
    Moor

Spencer
    Boyd
    Bakero
    VdW
    Ciman

Against that are successful incoming players:

Poz
    DeLeon
    Laryea
    Westberg

I edited for clarity since I have been quoted - the last category is successful incoming players. I’d probably add Mullins now too.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 08-24-2019 at 06:25 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    No comment till after Saturday.
    No comment till I see the two new guys
    Kinda in line with this. Still too soon to say imo