Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
6. Signed Quentin Westberg. This is really a Vanney signing, Curtis did the paperwork.

7. Signed Alejandro Pozuelo. Manning took the lead on this one, Curtis can't really take credit.
I hate these types of rationalizations and always have. He is the GM of the team and he will have significant input on every player going in and out of the club. Regardless of the optics of a particular signing and who else may have been involved it's ultimately his job to make player personnel decisions and so he's responsible for every one of them, full stop.

Some people did the same thing with Bez and it was telling how the narrative shifted. I saw people ascribe 100% of the Defoe signing to Leiweke and then suddenly when that went south and people still had serious doubts about Bez he started being given partial credit - or blame at that point - for it. When we signed Giovinco most people saw it as another score for Leiweke, despite him having one foot out the MLSE door at that point. And again as the team improved and Bez proved his worth I saw him get more and more credit for signing Giovinco in the first place (which he deserved).

So picking and choosing signings to make Curtis look better or worse doesn't fly if you ask me. Westberg was a good addition, Pozuelo a tremendous one, he gets credit for both and he also deserves criticism for leaving us with an extremely barebones team until the summer due to waiting on his moves and some poor depth moves he has made.

I will say this, we've seen teams make awesome runs in this league spurned on by summer signings time and time again so I think Curtis can redeem himself yet this season, but there's no room for error now. He needs to make probably 3 significant signings in the summer window and he needs to hit on all 3.