Last night was my first live game of the year and getting into the stadium was MESSED up!

Yesterday i arrived at the gate nearest the ticket box office at 7:50 (game to start at 8:00). I proceed to wait 7-10 mins to get checked by security. The security guard checks me with the scanner and passes me through. I have my back pack open to show the contents (a sweater for warmth, toronto FC scarf, bike lights - no bottles or food type things). The ticket scanner then tells me that i am not allowed in because i have a back pack. When i question as to why, she does not give me any reason but then tells me i have to go to gate 4. I then explain that i have been waiting in a very long line and that security passed me through. She then calls another security guard over who just repeats the same instruction to go to gate 4. I proceed to show this security guard the few contents of my bag and then she suggests that i wait while she checks with another staff member.

At this point in time the anthems are playing and the security guard tells me i have to wait until after the anthems are finished. I am not sure why as all the other patrons in line are being checked by security and admitted into the stadium. It should be noted that while i am waiting numerous people at the gate i am standing in are being admitted with bags (including backpacks!) and purses. When i point this out to the security guard who is having me wait, she gets quite aggressive with me. As i point out a fan who is allowed entry into the stadium with a purse that is larger than my bag, her tone becomes rude and threatening. I should add that at this point I ask her name and she tells me it is "Penelope". Finally another security guard arrives and just tells me to go to gate 4 without any explanation.

Whole thing took about 30 minutes to get into the stadium. I've been to MANY MANY games and never has anything like this happened. Just at the end of last season i took my daughter to a game and with a backpack we were allowed inside as per usual.

WTF BMO?!