Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm glad I forgot to watch this game!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've often been negative about the team and management. There are some major issues -- and some of those started last season. In fact, the issue of the team not executing what Vanney wants, as evidenced by his interviews etc., even existed in 2015 & 2016. (E.g. when we would drop points after the opposing team went down a man.)

Also today was a really piss poor effort by most of the team.

However I thought there was good effort shown by the TFC players vs DCU. Not good enough especially in front of goal, but they were trying. Also in some of the other recent games. I'm just trying to talk myself bank from the brink.

I think there are problems, but the team doesn't consistently give up on Vanney (yet). They were definitely tired today; Vanney had the tactics wrong (again); and neither the players nor the coach seem to be able to turn things around when they're going poorly. That's been an ongoing theme: if there's a problem, or they make a mistake, they're more likely to repeat it than change their ways.

Now they have an 8-day break, perhaps things will look better vs. San Jose at home. With Pozuelo out, maybe Vanney will set the team up more pragmatically? (He did have the team playing more pragmatically at the start of 2016, I believe, after the Manning ultimatum.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

poz gets a 1 match ban?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only watched until a little after the first goal and then stopped. Very rare for me, I have watched almost every game since the beginning. But I just couldn’t keep watching.

There is really something wrong and I don’t know where to start - but I’ll start with the soccer gods. Last year we really tempted them by playing kids like poor Julian Dunn and throwing away games. This year I think the line up against Atlanta did the same thing - they were a team rip for the picking and we threw it away with a poorly chosen line up and too aggressive tactics. But we tempted the soccer gods again. Not a good idea, and kind of arrogant.

Something else that is wrong - the use of Hamilton. Playing up front in a “2” with Ayo he was very good. He had other moments and earned the number two striker. Now he looks lost and almost scared to make a mistake. Why do we insist on using him as a lone striker when it clearly doesn’t work?

Then there are the lineups - no balance. Partly because of the roster. We could sure use Gregory van der Weil, eh? Auro is good but terribly weak defensively. He needs to play WB not RB.

I could go on. Much of the criticisms people have of individual players on these boards is a result of a roster missing pace and width, and a stubborn coach. But there is something else. Curtis / Vanney; problems in the locker room; something. It all feels off.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grandia View Post
    poz gets a 1 match ban?
    Standard is you miss one game after a red card. The fouls weren't egregious, so I doubt he faces any supplemental discipline.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poz apologises

&

Captain material at Genk

Captain material in Toronto

I love Bradley. I think he is likely to stay here the rest of his career.

I think part of the renewal is that the armband moves over next season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    I only watched until a little after the first goal and then stopped. Very rare for me, I have watched almost every game since the beginning. But I just couldn’t keep watching.

There is really something wrong and I don’t know where to start - but I’ll start with the soccer gods. Last year we really tempted them by playing kids like poor Julian Dunn and throwing away games. This year I think the line up against Atlanta did the same thing - they were a team rip for the picking and we threw it away with a poorly chosen line up and too aggressive tactics. But we tempted the soccer gods again. Not a good idea, and kind of arrogant.

Something else that is wrong - the use of Hamilton. Playing up front in a “2” with Ayo he was very good. He had other moments and earned the number two striker. Now he looks lost and almost scared to make a mistake. Why do we insist on using him as a lone striker when it clearly doesn’t work?

Then there are the lineups - no balance. Partly because of the roster. We could sure use Gregory van der Weil, eh? Auro is good but terribly weak defensively. He needs to play WB not RB.

I could go on. Much of the criticisms people have of individual players on these boards is a result of a roster missing pace and width, and a stubborn coach. But there is something else. Curtis / Vanney; problems in the locker room; something. It all feels off.
    VdW was a scapegoat.

Sure, he has a history of attitude problems but you’d expect if you’re hiring him you should be able to manage it. If you can’t, you fucked up.

He was also a better CB than some of our actual CBs, and better than Auro.

For those saying “well, no one signed him yet...” Congratulations, he’s rich, his wife is rich, and they are living in LA. He has side businesses, makes celebrity appearances, etc. He doesn’t need to play football anymore. If he did, he’d have contracts wherever even if he’s a douchecanoe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Poz apologises

&

Captain material at Genk

Captain material in Toronto

I love Bradley. I think he is likely to stay here the rest of his career.

I think part of the renewal is that the armband moves over next season.
    You can tell how involved he is in this capacity already. Good on him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait, did you delete your post, Og? I don’t see it but I hadn’t finished reading it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Bradley ...I think he still has 3 years as a DP left in him at MLS level. I think he has been told by Management that they won’t renew. He knows he is leaving. He is playing like that and some other players have caught on.

Poz comes in new and fresh puts in 3-4 world class performances then figures out the rest of the team.

Vanney may have lost the dressing room...how many games without a win do you get?

Club couldn’t get the TAM deals done...why in the world do we think that will change in the window? It was left to chance and we lost. This is a serious fall from grace.
    Last edited by Hamilton_Red; 05-18-2019 at 08:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found this on mls.com message board and it sums TFC up in a few words

No Giovinco = No trophies

all the rest of the talk is just noise

on wednedays game you replace
    zavalletta with ciman
    marky with giovinco
    hamilton with jozy

how many goals do we win by? 4??

Last edited by stevep; 05-18-2019 at 08:38 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post

Well, obviously. That’s like saying no Messi = no Barcelona trophies (in recent memory). But when Messi’s 47 he isn’t going to be carrying them.

Seba would have still been good here but he couldn’t have carried us this year just like he couldn’t last year.

That’s on the FO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    Well, obviously. That’s like saying no Messi = no Barcelona trophies (in recent memory). But when Messi’s 47 he isn’t going to be carrying them.

Seba would have still been good here but he couldn’t have carried us this year just like he couldn’t last year.

That’s on the FO.
    With jozy, gio and Laurent in the lineup Wednesday we could beat LAFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With jozy, gio and Laurent in the lineup Wednesday we could beat LAFC
    One of those players isn’t ours, if Jozy is injured or coming off injury he can’t play, and lol people actually rate Ciman this highly? I get Ciman as a Mavinga replacement or as a reasonable ball player defender but he’s not actually a superstar or anything.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn’t watch the game because I had other things to do, but I don’t think I’ll even bother watching it now.

There were a lot of people saying the issues with this team were very superficial and that we’d continue the amazing start we had. Goals for PPG Osorio stepping up blah blah blah.

Look who was right?

It isn’t Moor that made our defense work, it was a combination of Moor and Mavinga. We don’t get 70+% possession and 30+ shots against a team that is actually attempting to do something.

This squad isn’t a TAM winger away from the cup and they don’t even look good with the entire starting XI minus one player.

We won our cup at the right time, because this team isn’t very good currently, people are still getting injured constantly, and our FO has struggled to make even simple moves. Vanney isn’t adapting to what we have. There have been and still are clear mentality issues.

The FO has let us down (while lying to us).

Vanney is letting us down by not adapting and thinking TFC is going to play possession based football with a squad who can’t do it successfully.

Some of the players are letting us down either by just plain sucking or by having a weak or negative mentality.

There are positives to how TFC is playing, but as a whole it’s really not looking great.

Time to start pulling your heads out of the sand, ostriches.
    sadly , I can’t find any facts to dispute your opinion and unfortunately I’ve felt this , from the beginning of last seasons team
    lofty attitude and Vanneys refusal to understand or control the inevitable ‘down’ after a team wins a championship. He should of read Ferguson’s book .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

on wednedays game you replace
    zavalletta with ciman
    marky with giovinco
    hamilton with jozy

how many goals do we win by? 4??

This is important. Sure, Giovinco wasn’t ever going to meet 2015 mvp status, but even last year, despite his injuries, he put up a good season....no...what he brings is the possibility of scoring whenever he touches the ball. ...and that more than anything, is what is missing from this team (I know I didn’t watch today, so hear me out anyway)..he scared the shit out of MLS defenders, and made things happen for his avg teammates...on this team, with its many shortcomings, a Poz Seba duo would have won games that we didn’t deserve to win...Put Rooney on TFC and you might get the same result...but right now, this is the Spartan army without a general.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This isn’t that complicated. We have issues in the back, sure, but ...

we have one goal in four games.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    This isn’t that complicated. We have issues in the back, sure, but ...

we have one goal in four games.
    Nope.

Goals for = so good
    Ppg = so good
    Osorio = so good

Hurhur

Edit: your TAM forward is Osorio

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope.

Goals for = so good
    Ppg = so good
    Osorio = so good

Hurhur

When was Osorio ever a forward?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope.

Goals for = so good
    Ppg = so good
    Osorio = so good

Hurhur

Can you restate? This seems worth understanding but not sure I follow...
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    I didn’t watch this game. However, I did view the Poz redcard foul. In slow motion, it is clear that he didn’t touch the player.
    Even Pozuelo doesn't agree with you; he apologized for the 2nd yellow / red. (It wasn't a straight red.)

Watch the highlight here, on the last angle you can see that he bumps the side of the RSL player's calf, taking him down. Also he was harassing the RSL player all the way across the field, which made the intent more clear. Even before it happened, I had a feeling that a foul & 2nd yellow card were on their way.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/...ard-toronto-fc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These guys are all good players and serve the roles well. I don't know why they aren't performing, but I think we all know they can do a job so these results really don't track.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talk about benefit of the doubt...

This was a frustrating match. At a time when they had so many chances to build on and they took a nap. SJ is getting better but not that good that next match is a lock for either side. Unless this is Wondo's time for a streak. Then it could be more of the same.

Womens World Cup is right around the corner.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We haven’t even really had a goal from open play over the course of those games.

We had an amazing PPG and an amazing amount of goals for. Plus, Osorio had an amazing points per 90. I can’t believe people actually thought any of this was going to lead to TFC being cup contenders.

A bunch of people called out the issues and others were content to assume our form would continue, that we didn’t play bad teams, that we weren’t an injury away from mediocrity because Osorio could step up. He really hasn’t and I don’t think he’ll replicate last season, plus he’s on a TAM salary now.

When the FO is looking to bring in TAM level signings to save the team, it’s easier to look at the TAM signings they’ve already made: Aketxe, VdW, and Osorio. Vazquez is a special scenario that I assume they will never make again. That’s not a good track record...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The team is constructed badly. And the coach hasn’t found a way to cope.

For years we had a right back problem, from when we let the ginger go until we brought in Beitashour. For reasons that clearly were wrong, it was decided to let him go. They could have found a way and clearly should have. Auro isn’t a replacement, he is a wingback as shown By the first goal yesterday - a proper RB puts his body in the way of the player as a first instinct, not trying for the ball and if so no goal despite moors error. VdW was a replacement skill wise. But.

Osorio is a strong contributor who works well with Poz and Bradley - they should be a spine in a 2-1 or a 1-2. But none of them have pace so we need fullbacks, Wing backs, or wingers. We have none except arguable Auro and he is player out of position (see above). Raheem and Hasler both could have contributed here, certainly as depth players. You could get away with DeLeon as one winger if you had a proper one on the left. But we don’t, so DeLeon Delgado and Chapman are forced to play out of position.

Up front, Hamilton cannot play alone. It doesn’t work. He needs Boyd with him and it’s better for Poz too to be a 1 behind a 2. Yes that makes us narrow but it’s what the constitution of the club dictates.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We haven’t even really had a goal from open play over the course of those games.

We had an amazing PPG and an amazing amount of goals for. Plus, Osorio had an amazing points per 90. I can’t believe people actually thought any of this was going to lead to TFC being cup contenders.

A bunch of people called out the issues and others were content to assume our form would continue, that we didn’t play bad teams, that we weren’t an injury away from mediocrity because Osorio could step up. He really hasn’t and I don’t think he’ll replicate last season, plus he’s on a TAM salary now.

When the FO is looking to bring in TAM level signings to save the team, it’s easier to look at the TAM signings they’ve already made: Aketxe, VdW, and Osorio. Vazquez is a special scenario that I assume they will never make again. That’s not a good track record...
    I agree with most of this. We were always a 500 team, though...it's what happens now that will drive my opinion. I am on edge but OK, for the moment.
    Last edited by ensco; 05-19-2019 at 08:47 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"I'm proud of the guys effort until the end, because I felt like it was there on a day where for sure they were fatigued and it's a tough place to play and they gave a fight until the end." - head coach Greg Vanney

Not so sure they really did.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    "I'm proud of the guys effort until the end, because I felt like it was there on a day where for sure they were fatigued and it's a tough place to play and they gave a fight until the end." - head coach Greg Vanney

Vanney always does this. He complements the team after bad losses. The better they play, the more likely he is to be critical post game.

It's a cliche, so I don’t love it, but it doesn’t mean anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post

I just skimmed through the game and they definitely looked fatigued, if fatigued is synonymous with bad.

One question beyond what others have been saying: why is Vanney insisting on having Pozo cross the entire pitch to retrieve balls? The one foul he committed was just outside our box, right beside Bradley.

Dropping back is fine, defending is fine, but he’s consistently so far back doing defensive work that it doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just skimmed through the game and they definitely looked fatigued, if fatigued is synonymous with bad.

One question beyond what others have been saying: why is Vanney insisting on having Pozo cross the entire pitch to retrieve balls? The one foul he committed was just outside our box, right beside Bradley.

Dropping back is fine, defending is fine, but he’s consistently so far back doing defensive work that it doesn’t make a lot of sense.
    Because no one else is doing it and that's the biggest problem.