Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bradley = the most wasted DP in TFC's history

Yeah, this is my opinion after all these years having Bradley at TFC.

Sadly, IMO The General is the most wasted DP in the history of TFC, because in too many games he's played too deep, and by this he was not used at he's real strengths.

I think at least in 50% of the games he ever played at TFC he's been in this position.
    The reasons were many, and really not just because there weren't always enough good bodies available in defence. It's a lot about tactics, balancing the team too...

In light of this, also Bradley has to be the most overpaid player ever at TFC, considering all the years of his contract versus his real contribution to the team's results.

Of course, this is not the guy's fault, and by no means I'm attacking Bradley by creating this thread.
    We all like him and appreciate him, we know he's going out all for the team, so many times (or almost every time) he's the hart of this team.
    But it is what it is.

Pro or contrary thoughts, and why?
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 05-14-2019 at 04:20 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Counterpoint, you overpay to win a championship and to change the culture.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2016 Montreal series

Who starts the comeback? Michael Bradley

2017 MLS Cup Final

Best game TFC ever played

Best player on the pitch - Michael Bradley

That star isn't there without him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    2016 Montreal series

Who starts the comeback? Michael Bradley

2017 MLS Cup Final

Best game TFC ever played

Best player on the pitch - Michael Bradley

That star isn't there without him.
    Don't forget the game he put in in leg 2 vs Columbus. The game saving tackle on Meram I believe it was where he tracked him down from 15 yards behind him. I agree there is no star without the General

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    Yeah, this is my opinion after all these years having Bradley at TFC.

Sadly, IMO The General is the most wasted DP in the history of TFC, because in too many games he's played too deep, and by this he was not used at he's real strengths.

I think at least in 50% of the games he ever played at TFC he's been in this position.
    The reasons were many, and really not just because there weren't always enough good bodies available in defence. It's a lot about tactics, balancing the team too...

In light of this, also Bradley has to be the most overpaid player ever at TFC, considering all the years of his contract versus his real contribution to the team's results.

Of course, this is not the guy's fault, and by no means I'm attacking Bradley by creating this thread.
    We all like him and appreciate him, we know he's going out all for the team, so many times (or almost every time) he's the hart of this team.
    But it is what it is.

Pro or contrary thoughts, and why?
    Worst DP ever

DEFOE
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that there is no star without Bradley, I also agree that Michael Bradley does have his faults, but I feel that the comment of the most wasted DP in TFC's history is a bit harsh and is untrue in my opinion, and this thread is about personal opinion.
    Remember we had the Big Bloody Deal waste of a DP in Jermaine Defoe.
    I think that Bradley's strengths have not been utilized by Vanney, the constant playing deep, passing back, rarely driving forward, and looking to make the extra pass is a reflection of coaching, the player is being coached that way. Just my opinion.
    I would rather have Michael Bradley at TFC, than he be an opponent.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's in no way meant to insult anyone, but people who have played and watched soccer in an obsessive manner, know Bradley is the glue, the cog, the nuts.

If we sent any of the best players in the world to our club tomorrow, id wager all the money in my pocket that none of them would rag on Bradley.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    Worst DP ever

DEFOE
    Mista.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing I find with Bradley is that he has about one bad pass or play once per game usually but the rest of the time he is pretty solid except when played out of position but that is not his fault. There are tons of DPs out there that don’t give even close to what he gives and I believe he is a good leader and locker room guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what a hilarious thread. It might be one of the most misguided threads in TFC forum history.

If you want to get accurate, you might want to think back to Julian de guzman. Or do you not remember Mista?

Bradley is not only the team's captain and a damn good one at that, but one of the key players that we owe all our success to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MKR View Post
    what a hilarious thread. It might be one of the most misguided threads in TFC forum history.

If you want to get accurate, you might want to think back to Julian de guzman. Or do you not remember Mista?

Bradley is not only the team's captain and a damn good one at that, but one of the key players that we owe all our success to.
    Everyone is perfectly entitled to their opinion, however I totally agree with what you said. For me Bradley is probably the most important player we have ever had to date and I would also say best player based on how many games our other star players have missed(but I agree that’s very debatable)

RPB Member
    Banners Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Mista.
    Bradley changed the locker room mentality- we would have won diddly squat without that- and I genuinely believe he is invested in the Club beyond the pay check.

As for worst DP ever...lest we forget - Gilberto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even when misused on the pitch, Bradley's intangibles are off the chart.

I think the point the OP was making was *not* that Bradley is a waste, but rather the opposite - that he's all that for the team but his contributions have been wasted through poor structural utilization.

I see the point. But a captain has to captain, and sometimes that means dropping deeper to help out rather than being focused on your own individual performance. So, to me, the off-peak use of Bradley the player has more to do with using him as a captain, and in that sense is *not* wasted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every great teams needs a Bradley. He'll not get the headlines a Giovinco or Altidore gets but he's the heartbeat of the team. The amount of sacrifices he makes for the team is outstanding, plus in the big games he stands up and is counted. They always say great players make those around them better, and I definitely feel that way with Bradley. I think he's a proper legit legend for us. In the modern game where there is a distinct lack of on field leaders, for this level, Bradley is as good as it gets for me.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Worst DP ever

DEFOE
    Mista has to be, that dude was useless and in my eyes his signing was what caused the DeRo soap opera.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t agree at all, but Bradley is actually holding the team back in terms of signing a third attacking DP. In terms of MLS, it’s probably a waste to sign a DP like Bradley in general.

He actually is also incredibly overpaid, but that doesn’t matter because it’s not our money and you can pay a DP whatever you want.

That said, he’s barely ever injured and barely misses any games. He’s an important player who has been integral to our success and has even carried us when we’d probably have lost (like our first game against Philly this season).

He has the odd bad game, sometimes misplaces some passes, but he’s also expected to do more work on the pitch than anyone else in a position that doesn’t lend itself to glory or highlight reels.

Overpaid? Yes, absolutely.

Holding us back from signing a third attacking DP so we can outscore everyone even if our midfield and defense is weak? Sure, but Vazquez should have been a DP too, which is the big difference from our title winning season and every other one.

Wasted DP slot over his time here? No.

Is Bradley misused currently in the system Vanney is playing? Probably.

Everyone thinks you’re equating wasting Bradley’s potenial with being the worst DP ever.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Mista.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Mista has to be, that dude was useless and in my eyes his signing was what caused the DeRo soap opera.
    Agreed with the above. No contest.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No way was Gilberto the worst.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    I think the point the OP was making was *not* that Bradley is a waste, but rather the opposite - that he's all that for the team but his contributions have been wasted through poor structural utilization.
    Exactly, but almost everbody replying seems to overlook this.
    About how he's overpaid - makes no sense to compare his earnings with DP-s who stayed a short period at TFC compared to him.
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 05-14-2019 at 11:11 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    No way was Gilberto the worst.
    It's up for debate. Gilberto was pretty terrible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red4ever View Post
    If Gilberto was poop, Mista would be eating poop.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    At least neither eats their mother's poop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1.
    Mista was a lot worse than Gilberto.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilberto at least scored that one free kick. What do we remember from Mista
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Voodooman View Post
    Gilberto at least scored that one free kick. What do we remember from Mista
    It's funny I remember that free kick cause Defoe gets hacked to the ground and instead of lobbying for a yellow, Gilberto goes and steals the ball from his team mate; focused on himself. Great goal, but I've never hated a TFC player more.

I guess I had expectations for Gilberto. Whereas, Mista had kinda been shit for a while and there were fewer expectations.

Gilberto was part of the new era, we lost a young DP because of him and he was garbage.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to stegosaurus again.
    Last edited by Red4ever; 05-14-2019 at 11:44 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Word. Gilberto gets an unfair ride around here. All hustle, no drama plus he silenced Defoe that one time..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Worst DP ever

DEFOE
    Worst DP ever
    MISTA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This won't be popular...

I suspect Bradleys biggest problem is his ego, and it results in there being almost two Michael Bradleys that can show up at any given time. Bradleys strengths are stamina, will to win, covering ground, tackling, positioning and off the ball movement (He gets passed too *alot*, I think this is actually his biggest strength). Playing to those strengths he would be, and has been, the best mid fielder in the league and he'd be so in the mould of someone like Javier Mascherano or Sergio Busquets. I think in 2017 especially we saw this Bradley and he was outstanding - I'm not sure if it was just having Vasquez in the team, but he played deep, played within his limitations and was outstanding.

The second Bradley, that we see more often than not, is one who isn't content to be a limited but very effective footballer and who tries things he isn't capable of. I'm sorry but he should be fined every time he passes the ball over 20 yards, it's almost certainly just turning over possession - he is *not* good at it. At all. Every game this season we're watching floated balls to nobody he has no business making, of course some come off, but even if they do it rarely puts us in a good position so the amount we lose is not compensated by the good passes. I suspect he has an ego that makes him think he has to be 'the man' but it's detrimental to the team and actually the best way he ever was 'the man' was in 2017 when he left the creating to the players who excel at it and he just stuck to being the wall in front of our defence

If we could focus him on his strengths he'd absolutely justify his price tag, there's nothing wrong with a deep lying mid fielder - Some of the best mid fielders on the planet offer little to nothing in attack. The problem is he doesn't, and when he doesn't he's just an average MLS mid fielder who is not worth the DP money

With all that said he isn't even close to our top ten worst DP
    Last edited by JoesphNdo; 05-14-2019 at 12:13 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red4ever View Post
    Not for me. He was clearly a quality player that was just taking some time to adjust to living/playing in a new country. I think expectations on him from some were unfair.

Regardless, i've gotten into this enough on here over the years so i'm not getting into it in depth again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surprised no mention of Hassli, is my memory playing tricks on me or wasn't an aging Hassli signed on a pointless half season DP deal in a season which was already a write off?