Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bradley = the most wasted DP in TFC's history

Yeah, this is my opinion after all these years having Bradley at TFC.

Sadly, IMO The General is the most wasted DP in the history of TFC, because in too many games he's played too deep, and by this he was not used at he's real strengths.

I think at least in 50% of the games he ever played at TFC he's been in this position.
    The reasons were many, and really not just because there weren't always enough good bodies available in defence. It's a lot about tactics, balancing the team too...

In light of this, also Bradley has to be the most overpaid player ever at TFC, considering all the years of his contract versus his real contribution to the team's results.

Of course, this is not the guy's fault, and by no means I'm attacking Bradley by creating this thread.
    We all like him and appreciate him, we know he's going out all for the team, so many times (or almost every time) he's the hart of this team.
    But it is what it is.

Pro or contrary thoughts, and why?
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 05-14-2019 at 04:20 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Counterpoint, you overpay to win a championship and to change the culture.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2016 Montreal series

Who starts the comeback? Michael Bradley

2017 MLS Cup Final

Best game TFC ever played

Best player on the pitch - Michael Bradley

That star isn't there without him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    2016 Montreal series

Who starts the comeback? Michael Bradley

2017 MLS Cup Final

Best game TFC ever played

Best player on the pitch - Michael Bradley

That star isn't there without him.
    Don't forget the game he put in in leg 2 vs Columbus. The game saving tackle on Meram I believe it was where he tracked him down from 15 yards behind him. I agree there is no star without the General

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    Yeah, this is my opinion after all these years having Bradley at TFC.

Sadly, IMO The General is the most wasted DP in the history of TFC, because in too many games he's played too deep, and by this he was not used at he's real strengths.

I think at least in 50% of the games he ever played at TFC he's been in this position.
    The reasons were many, and really not just because there weren't always enough good bodies available in defence. It's a lot about tactics, balancing the team too...

In light of this, also Bradley has to be the most overpaid player ever at TFC, considering all the years of his contract versus his real contribution to the team's results.

Of course, this is not the guy's fault, and by no means I'm attacking Bradley by creating this thread.
    We all like him and appreciate him, we know he's going out all for the team, so many times (or almost every time) he's the hart of this team.
    But it is what it is.

Pro or contrary thoughts, and why?
    Worst DP ever

DEFOE
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    Worst DP ever

DEFOE
    Mista.

RPB Member
    Banners Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Mista.
    Bradley changed the locker room mentality- we would have won diddly squat without that- and I genuinely believe he is invested in the Club beyond the pay check.

As for worst DP ever...lest we forget - Gilberto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mista.
    THIS. and it's not even a contest.

Bradley provides the intangibles that we do not see from the stands and couches. All you need to do is look at how the other players talk about him to know that he is worth all the money and more. He had as big an impact on our ownership getting the right people in as our coaches and management did. His leadership is phenomenal and his skills when he's on are indispensable.

That being said he does not seem ON this year. Not sure if it's the contract talks or just fatigue from years of being an iron man or if the dressing room is still off. Last year probably took as much out of him as of anyone. He's so proud and hardworking that the shitshow that was 2018 must have hurt his motivation levels.

I hope we keep him and get back the motivated/hard nosed Bradley of old.

all my opinions as well but as was said above,

There is no Star
    There is no Treble
    There is no Jozy
    There is so much less emotion and advancement

if MB went elsewhere.

Jozy gets a statue for being Mr. Clutch, MB should get one for being the engine around which all of the success was wrapped.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Worst DP ever

DEFOE
    Mista has to be, that dude was useless and in my eyes his signing was what caused the DeRo soap opera.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mista.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Mista has to be, that dude was useless and in my eyes his signing was what caused the DeRo soap opera.
    Agreed with the above. No contest.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Worst DP ever

DEFOE
    Worst DP ever
    MISTA

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mista.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Worst DP ever
    MISTA
    You guys are 100% spot on.

Mista was so bad I even forgot he existed,not the mention played for us.That was million dollars well spent.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that there is no star without Bradley, I also agree that Michael Bradley does have his faults, but I feel that the comment of the most wasted DP in TFC's history is a bit harsh and is untrue in my opinion, and this thread is about personal opinion.
    Remember we had the Big Bloody Deal waste of a DP in Jermaine Defoe.
    I think that Bradley's strengths have not been utilized by Vanney, the constant playing deep, passing back, rarely driving forward, and looking to make the extra pass is a reflection of coaching, the player is being coached that way. Just my opinion.
    I would rather have Michael Bradley at TFC, than he be an opponent.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's in no way meant to insult anyone, but people who have played and watched soccer in an obsessive manner, know Bradley is the glue, the cog, the nuts.

If we sent any of the best players in the world to our club tomorrow, id wager all the money in my pocket that none of them would rag on Bradley.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing I find with Bradley is that he has about one bad pass or play once per game usually but the rest of the time he is pretty solid except when played out of position but that is not his fault. There are tons of DPs out there that don’t give even close to what he gives and I believe he is a good leader and locker room guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what a hilarious thread. It might be one of the most misguided threads in TFC forum history.

If you want to get accurate, you might want to think back to Julian de guzman. Or do you not remember Mista?

Bradley is not only the team's captain and a damn good one at that, but one of the key players that we owe all our success to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MKR View Post
    what a hilarious thread. It might be one of the most misguided threads in TFC forum history.

If you want to get accurate, you might want to think back to Julian de guzman. Or do you not remember Mista?

Bradley is not only the team's captain and a damn good one at that, but one of the key players that we owe all our success to.
    Everyone is perfectly entitled to their opinion, however I totally agree with what you said. For me Bradley is probably the most important player we have ever had to date and I would also say best player based on how many games our other star players have missed(but I agree that’s very debatable)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even when misused on the pitch, Bradley's intangibles are off the chart.

I think the point the OP was making was *not* that Bradley is a waste, but rather the opposite - that he's all that for the team but his contributions have been wasted through poor structural utilization.

I see the point. But a captain has to captain, and sometimes that means dropping deeper to help out rather than being focused on your own individual performance. So, to me, the off-peak use of Bradley the player has more to do with using him as a captain, and in that sense is *not* wasted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    I think the point the OP was making was *not* that Bradley is a waste, but rather the opposite - that he's all that for the team but his contributions have been wasted through poor structural utilization.
    Exactly, but almost everbody replying seems to overlook this.
    About how he's overpaid - makes no sense to compare his earnings with DP-s who stayed a short period at TFC compared to him.
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 05-14-2019 at 11:11 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    It's impressive how many are misreading the OP.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by magmadragon View Post
    It's impressive how many are misreading the OP.
    I'd agree that playing Bradley far back is a waste of his talents. However, it's borne out of necessity.
    We desperately need a better defense. So far Curtis has failed in getting that part shored up. Surely there's decent defenders within MLS, no need to shop the foreign market.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every great teams needs a Bradley. He'll not get the headlines a Giovinco or Altidore gets but he's the heartbeat of the team. The amount of sacrifices he makes for the team is outstanding, plus in the big games he stands up and is counted. They always say great players make those around them better, and I definitely feel that way with Bradley. I think he's a proper legit legend for us. In the modern game where there is a distinct lack of on field leaders, for this level, Bradley is as good as it gets for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t agree at all, but Bradley is actually holding the team back in terms of signing a third attacking DP. In terms of MLS, it’s probably a waste to sign a DP like Bradley in general.

He actually is also incredibly overpaid, but that doesn’t matter because it’s not our money and you can pay a DP whatever you want.

That said, he’s barely ever injured and barely misses any games. He’s an important player who has been integral to our success and has even carried us when we’d probably have lost (like our first game against Philly this season).

He has the odd bad game, sometimes misplaces some passes, but he’s also expected to do more work on the pitch than anyone else in a position that doesn’t lend itself to glory or highlight reels.

Overpaid? Yes, absolutely.

Holding us back from signing a third attacking DP so we can outscore everyone even if our midfield and defense is weak? Sure, but Vazquez should have been a DP too, which is the big difference from our title winning season and every other one.

Wasted DP slot over his time here? No.

Is Bradley misused currently in the system Vanney is playing? Probably.

Everyone thinks you’re equating wasting Bradley’s potenial with being the worst DP ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No way was Gilberto the worst.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    No way was Gilberto the worst.
    It's up for debate. Gilberto was pretty terrible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red4ever View Post
    If Gilberto was poop, Mista would be eating poop.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    At least neither eats their mother's poop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    +1.
    Mista was a lot worse than Gilberto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red4ever View Post
    Not for me. He was clearly a quality player that was just taking some time to adjust to living/playing in a new country. I think expectations on him from some were unfair.

Regardless, i've gotten into this enough on here over the years so i'm not getting into it in depth again

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As long as we're on the topic of controversial views, one could say Jozy is overrated.
    Now he scored the biggest goal in our history.
    But from a DP and $ point of view, remember we kinda just swapped problems with Sunderland to unload Defoe.
    Jozy was underwhelming up until he got injured taking a PK. Unlike Bradley he has never won an RPB player of the year. He's still injury prone.
    Even Seba. We will always remember his prime, but his last season was forgettable. He was at times a liability on the field.
    Bradley spends way too much time covering for other players mistakes. He is the general out there every game. It may not be obvious on the stat sheet or highlight reel, but he is one of the most irreplaceable players we have.