Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Telfer takes over in the last 20 minutes.

Why is he in York, again? All he's done is a) play well for us, b) played well for them, c) come back and played well for us d) gone back and played excellently tonight.
    I'd say Telfer is still a raw talent needing to work on aspects of his game, but he sure has some good moments! Looking forward to him hopefully ultimately being a first team regular for TFC.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the half, Cavalry showing their class against a full strength Whitecaps. Cavalry is very well organized and with just a few additions could easily compete in MLS. Great crowd, support, and stadium. 8/10

Grass is terrible, horse jumping much worse on the pitch than the Argos. 2/10

Onesoccer not too bad, good analysis at half time. App streams poorly compared to TSN app but costs just as much per month. Didn't try PC streaming. Limited number of cameras compared to MLS makes watching the fine details of plays more difficult. 6/10
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 07-10-2019 at 09:54 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on what I've seen so far, TFC have to be favourites to win the Canadian Championship again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't believe the penalty the York 9 keeper committed after going up 2-1 in the 88th minute... that is just bonkers. To think that they could lose out on 1-1 away because the keeper loses his mind on a nothing play at the edge of the box...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also hey guys I'm new.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Based on what I've seen so far, TFC have to be favourites to win the Canadian Championship again.
    In fairness, TFC did lose over 2 legs to a semi pro team from Panama this season, but they still have clearly the best team if they could ever figure out how to get everyone healthy in the starting 11. I think with Jozy back, and new speed on the wings TFC will go on a little run. Probably with Pozuelo being the biggest beneficiary, not having 3 players marking him at all times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The way he's played so far this season I'd say we'd be foolish not to try and scoop up Nico Pasquotti from Calgary.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    The way he's played so far this season I'd say we'd be foolish not to try and scoop up Nico Pasquotti from Calgary.
    Seriously. Such a talented player.

Interesting that he's got an "Adrian Serioux" throw in (throw ins so far and powerful they are almost free kicks).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaceyWinger View Post
    I can't believe the penalty the York 9 keeper committed after going up 2-1 in the 88th minute... that is just bonkers. To think that they could lose out on 1-1 away because the keeper loses his mind on a nothing play at the edge of the box...
    That was ridiculous. What was he thinking exactly?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaceyWinger View Post
    I know .. I literally almost spit out my drink when I saw that. Has to be the worst 'keeper giving away a penalty in the box' I've ever seen.

And welcome to the forums!

But still – great results for the CPL teams all things considered. Y9 will probably go out in Montreal, but the other two matches aren't so easy to call. I can see Cavalry squeaking by Van if they play it right, and I hope HFX can come up big vs. Ottawa (though I realize it's against them now).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Onesoccer not too bad, good analysis at half time. App streams poorly compared to TSN app but costs just as much per month. Didn't try PC streaming. Limited number of cameras compared to MLS makes watching the fine details of plays more difficult. 6/10
    Do you mean the TSN Direct streaming offer? I currently have that; got it for the WWC, Raptors, and other events happening recently. TSN Direct is $20/month or $100 for 6 months. (Argh forgot to cancel my subscription after the month was over.)

Onesoccer is $10/month or $75/year. So half the price or less, compared with TSN streaming.

TSN has other sports and leagues of course. But now that Raptors, WWC and Gold Cup are over, it's amazing how little of interest there is on TSN's 5 channels. I would basically just be keeping it for TFC away games. (Cable TV & these types of channels are in trouble.)

But I also really wonder if Onesoccer will work out for CanPL. Seems like it will only have a tiny subscriber base. And there must be quite a bit of overhead, running this whole platform just for one league.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Do you mean the TSN Direct streaming offer? I currently have that; got it for the WWC, Raptors, and other events happening recently. TSN Direct is $20/month or $100 for 6 months. (Argh forgot to cancel my subscription after the month was over.)

Onesoccer is $10/month or $75/year. So half the price or less, compared with TSN streaming.

TSN has other sports and leagues of course. But now that Raptors, WWC and Gold Cup are over, it's amazing how little of interest there is on TSN's 5 channels. I would basically just be keeping it for TFC away games. (Cable TV & these types of channels are in trouble.)

But I also really wonder if Onesoccer will work out for CanPL. Seems like it will only have a tiny subscriber base. And there must be quite a bit of overhead, running this whole platform just for one league.
    Correct, Onesoccer is actually half the price. Still, it doesn't have anything interesting apart from the CPL (and now the Chinese Soccer League). I use TSN direct 90% for TFC games but have looked at the occasional thing outside of it (such as the Raptors playoff run, the games that TSN carried).
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post

OneSoccer picked up the Chinese Super League/Cup recently too, so there’s, uh, that too.

In Spain the parent company operates the Qatari-owned beIN Sports doing the big three outside the EPL (probably Ligue 1 as well).

They are probably losing money on the CPL in an attempt to eventually buy the rights to other leagues in Canada as the sport grows in interest here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The atmosphere for the Cavalry game was fantastic. Ecstatic with the scoreless draw, but damn they flat out took it to the Whitecaps in the second half and could have won that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

July 10, 2019 CPL vs MLS Voyageurs Cup post game press conference of York 9 FC vs Montreal Impact match on my site right now.
    http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoront.../19york123.htm

Impact's head coach Remi Garde and Samuel Piette. York 9's Jimmy Brennan and Ryan Telfer.
    more pictures, rosters, play by play, opinion added in next day or two.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OneSoccer has the rights to LigaMX now as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the tournament needs to be a free stream or on an OTA channel in Canada if its going to garner the right momentum

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    the tournament needs to be a free stream or on an OTA channel in Canada if its going to garner the right momentum
    TSN has had the semi-finals onward for years so that's hardly OTA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Robin View Post
    TSN has had the semi-finals onward for years so that's hardly OTA.
    agreed.

should be OTA / free stream

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My predictions for the second round:

The Impact will hammer York9 at Saputo, easily beating them with a stronger team than played the first half

Ottawa will get through over Halifax (too bad, a road trip to Halifax would be cool)

Cavalry will edge out a demoralized Whitecaps
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 07-16-2019 at 07:56 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd love to see Cavalry through to the semifinals as a testament to the strength of the CPL so the league gets more respect. I'd love to see them make it to the final so we could laugh at the Impact losing to a team with 1/10th of their payroll.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My predictions for the second round:

The Impact will hammer York9 at Saputo, easily beating them with a stronger team than played the first half

Ottawa will get through over Halifax (too bad, a road trip to Halifax would be cool)

Cavalry will edge out a demoralized Whitecaps
    While it would be fun to see them crash out, is anyone else hoping Impact make it to the final against TFC, just for another away trip?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Telfer around the keeper just outside the 18 and skies the ball on an open goal.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After all of that - it's back to Ottawa vs Toronto and potentially Vancouver against Montreal which basically is exactly where this whole thing was set up before it started --- maybe Cavalry can win one for the CanPL tonight which would be nice as both Halifax and Y9 showed nicely but in the end, Cavalry is really the only CanPL team to me that has a chance of taking down an MLS side based on how they've performed this year as they are clearly the class of the new league....

Not sure Ottawa v Toronto is going to spark a lot of interest (except for stories about flares and fires in Ottawa being re-shown again) and even watching the future of Bayern Munich play for Vancouver last year in the Final (a very enjoyable game which may have actually been the season highlight of 2018 (after April) sadly) only drew about 15K, and now with the Finals being a mid-week game in September, I would suspect a low turnout if we go back to the Finals again (maybe another Montreal v Toronto Final would generate some more buzz!!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheering for Calvary but almost feeling sorry for Vancouver. Why are they so bad? Lots of decent players. Adnan crosses the ball well and is brilliant from set pieces. But they seem to find a way to screw up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Felipe is a pr*ck though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    telfer around the keeper just outside the 18 and skies the ball on an open goal.
    tfc dna.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to get ahead of our self bur I am looking forward to TFC Montreal. That will be another good time in a city I love.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(Sung to the tune of "Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey-ey, goodbye")

Lenarduzzi, Lenarduzzi, Lenarduzzi, goodbye!

Calgary knocks out Vancouver, woohoo, a CanPL team goes through to the next round!

Too bad that Telfer (and others) didn't make the York -- Montreal game more interesting. They had a chance, although it would have been tough to see that game out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a shame how huge that ridiculous penalty that the York keeper gave up in leg 1 became in the overall tie. Montreal should be very wary against Cavalry in the semis