Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    My predictions for the second round:

The Impact will hammer York9 at Saputo, easily beating them with a stronger team than played the first half

Ottawa will get through over Halifax (too bad, a road trip to Halifax would be cool)

Cavalry will edge out a demoralized Whitecaps
    My predictions panned out correct , including that the Impact played their first team, except that York9 kept the score much closer than I expected for their match.

I would love a TFC/Cavalry matchup, although the Impact have to be favourites for the finals.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 07-25-2019 at 08:55 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Cheering for Calvary but almost feeling sorry for Vancouver. Why are they so bad? ...
    Upper level management sets the tone - there are ways to do MLS on the cheap but you have to stick to a game plan for years to do so. VCWC management are kinda lazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So. Hung. Over.

That was a ton of fun to watch. I loved how after VWC tied it 1-1, the Cavs just kept coming. There was no sitting back and trying to grind that one out, just smart attacking football, picking their spots.

Now to see if they can get some more equestrian events squeezed in before Montreal shows up so they can use the occasionally horrendous field conditions as home field advantage

Seeing TFC play out here would be something else, but I expect Montreal will be on another level compared to VWC.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too bad the OneSoccer highlights don't show the Telfer miss and some other chances for York9.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Too bad the OneSoccer highlights don't show the Telfer miss and some other chances for York9.
    Yeah, saw it on TSN, man what a miss. Just keep the ball down, you have a wide open target.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Yeah, saw it on TSN, man what a miss. Just keep the ball down, you have a wide open target.
    he didnt need to shoot right away either. he had time.
    Big game might have gotten to him, this is good experience for him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Lenarduzzi, Lenarduzzi, Lenarduzzi, goodbye!
    I'm wondering when this will happen. The situation there must be untenable for him by this point, right? How long can the ownership ignore the state of the club and the fan anger? Even TFC took only 6 years to start turning things around. At this rate, their Season Ticket Holder base is going to crater in the offseason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they need new ownership too. Garber can’t be pleased they’ve basically pocketed the Alphonso Davies money and told the fan base part of it was spent on a leftback most other teams would consider a low-level TAM signing.

This is like shades of Mo Edu turning into a grass field, but worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I think they need new ownership too. Garber can’t be pleased they’ve basically pocketed the Alphonso Davies money and told the fan base part of it was spent on a leftback most other teams would consider a low-level TAM signing.

Yeah I can't believe that Ali Adnan is a DP. Like, cool nice player but a leftback DP? Get real.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

Hey, that field was pretty good!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No field...No Seba

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I never minded the Edu-for-grass deal. Put it this way, they've occasionally found much worse ways to spend money over the years!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seeing as Cavalry are better than York9, don't be surprised if Montreal struggles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by magmadragon View Post
    Seeing as Cavalry are better than York9, don't be surprised if Montreal struggles.
    The second leg being in Calgary could be trouble if the Cavs dont get marked in Montreal. I would like to see TFC vs Cavalry in the finals. Hopefully next year TFC gets to play some CPL teams and they dont get a bye to the semis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    No field...No Seba
    Don’t take it the wrong way, I appreciate the field but that was an investment the club was always going to have to make if they wanted to add to the credibility of their product and attract more players (like Seba).

We had to suffer through some lean years after that before they realized fans weren’t going to show up if the club only invested the minimum in players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    The second leg being in Calgary could be trouble if the Cavs dont get marked in Montreal. I would like to see TFC vs Cavalry in the finals. Hopefully next year TFC gets to play some CPL teams and they dont get a bye to the semis.
    I hope they tweak the format so there are less byes. Given the CPL vs. MLS matchups were all decent this year, this could turn into a really fun tournament involving the whole country.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once the CanPL gets to 10 teams, you'll probably see the previous year's cup winner drop down to the Quarter finals from the Semis, but I don't see them dropping down to joining in earlier rounds due to fixture congestion. That format would still be able to handle up to 23 teams, which I don't see them maxing out any time soon.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone know how the home field advantage sets up for the Finals this year - how is it determined who gets the second leg (Sept 25) at home, as opposed to the first leg (Sept 18)? Is it pre-determined? Is it based on the results of this round?

Was also trying to figure out how/why Cavalry gets the second leg versus Montreal next round too --- they both were +1 agg in the last round (Mtl 3-2 and Calg 2-1, and both teams scored 2 away goals)...

Any insight on all of this would be great....hoping for a Sept 25th game at BMO.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcfans View Post
    Does anyone know how the home field advantage sets up for the Finals this year - how is it determined who gets the second leg (Sept 25) at home, as opposed to the first leg (Sept 18)? Is it pre-determined? Is it based on the results of this round?

Was also trying to figure out how/why Cavalry gets the second leg versus Montreal next round too --- they both were +1 agg in the last round (Mtl 3-2 and Calg 2-1, and both teams scored 2 away goals)...

Any insight on all of this would be great....hoping for a Sept 25th game at BMO.....
    According to the Wikipedia page, it states that the higher seeded team will host the the second game of finals. I would assume Toronto FC is the highest ranked team in the tourney but I would have also assumed that Montreal would have been higher ranked than Calgary for the semi finals.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only thing I can think of would be similar to the CONCACAF champions league with the total points through previous rounds.
    Calgary would have more points than Montreal (although with more games total played as well)

Montreal 1 - 0 - 1 -- 4 points
    Calvary 4 - 0 - 2 -- 14 points

OR ....

Montreal wanted the legs switched for scheduling?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cas87 View Post
    The only thing I can think of would be similar to the CONCACAF champions league with the total points through previous rounds.
    Calgary would have more points than Montreal (although with more games total played as well)

Montreal 1 - 0 - 1 -- 4 points
    Calvary 4 - 0 - 2 -- 14 points

OR ....

Montreal wanted the legs switched for scheduling?
    It's weird as even in the earlier rounds it seemed off as of the three teams that won Round One - Halifax, Y9 and Cavalry -- two of them were visitors in the second leg in Round 2, and yet the Cavalry had home field for the second leg against Forge?! Then in the third round all three teams who had not played already (Mon/Vanc/Ott) all had home field for the second leg (like Toronto was given home field in leg 2 this round) - so why was Cavalry given that privilege against Forge earlier and why are they ahead of Montreal now?

The total points thing above makes little sense as obviously teams from earlier rounds would always have more points than teams in later rounds yet all three round 2 winners had the "disadvantage" against Ott/Vanc/Mtl.

The rescheduling thing seems like an odd suggestion too as Montreal is already in Colorado on the 3rd why would they want to fly home and then fly out there again crossing multiple time zones, when they could just go from Colorado to Calgary on the 7th and then come eastward for Chicago and then home to Mtl.

I'm sure there is a logical reason behind who gets to host which leg - but it sure as heck isn't clear from anything I can see....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by benito View Post
    According to the Wikipedia page, it states that the higher seeded team will host the the second game of finals. I would assume Toronto FC is the highest ranked team in the tourney but I would have also assumed that Montreal would have been higher ranked than Calgary for the semi finals.
    I agree - and why wouldn't the higher seeded team obviously be Montreal over Cavalry - considering they are in a "higher" league and had a bye further along in the tournament than Cavalry (and if it isn't all of this stuff than why is Toronto getting home field for the second leg against Ottawa ---- either Mon/Tor should both have it; or neither should have it)?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Calvary are home for the second leg because their field is shared with Spruce Meadows.
    they are kicked out for August 7 due to an equestrian competition occurring at the time (I think on the same field as well)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good. The field should be in shambles. Get an away goal at Saputo, and come home to grind it across the line.