Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 114
  1. #31
    RPB 2019 Banners/Membership Team
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    1,020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redpunkfiddle View Post
    Now if Halifax gets through to meet us, then that would be a place to sail.
    Ooh, yes. That would be great.

    One can dream....
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field)

  2. #32
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Centre of My Bloody Universe.
    Posts
    18,908
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The York9 was well worth it Wednesday. 3*1 going to Edmonton. Crazy picturing a visit from Montreal and UM02.
    Nations League Canada vs USA Nov 15th!
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

  3. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    235
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Just got back from Cavalry vs Forge. I never liked Bekker's attitude playing for TFC and he's been a piece of work in the CanPL so far. Satisfying to send him packing. I'm glad goalie Q wasn't in to take the loss.

    Pretty cool we'll get to see an MLS team come to town.

  4. #34
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    17,092
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    July 10th will be the most interesting date for me since that's when we will first see a CPL/MLS match (actually two that day). It will give both an idea of the level of the CPL right now and also give us an idea of what TFC can expect should a CPL team make it through.

  5. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Etobicoke
    Posts
    816
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Is July 10th the game at York stadium?
    Is it in bad taste (to York9) to go to the match in TFC colours and cheer for York9?

  6. #36
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Pinnacle of 115
    Posts
    1,215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigredone View Post
    Is July 10th the game at York stadium?
    Is it in bad taste (to York9) to go to the match in TFC colours and cheer for York9?
    It's never in bad taste to wear your TFC colours.

  7. #37
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    17,092
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigredone View Post
    Is July 10th the game at York stadium?
    Is it in bad taste (to York9) to go to the match in TFC colours and cheer for York9?
    Yes. York Lions stadium at 7:30pm.

  8. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Victoria BC formerly from Hamilton
    Posts
    1,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    York got a very lucky draw and are the second weakest team in CPL. Even against a dire Edmonton they barely squeaked through. Montreal will destroy them. I’d guess US/Thailand levels if they played their best 11.

  9. #39
    RPB 2019 Banners/Membership Team
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    1,020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I would be keen to keep an eye on the Cavalry / Whitecaps series.

    Caps play Sat / Wed / Sat / Wed / Sat / Wed / Sat during the weeks around these games

    Sat July 6 away vs LAFC
    Wed July 10 away vs Cavalry FC
    Sat July 13 home vs Sporting KC
    Wed July 17 away vs NE REVS
    Sat July 20 home vs San Jose
    Wed July 24 home vs Cavalry FC
    Sat July 27 away vs Minnesota

    I predict they start their "B" team vs Cavalry on the 10th. Might be Cavalry's best chance to get a result against an MLS squad.
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field)

  10. #40
    RPB 2019 Banners/Membership Team
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    1,020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    York got a very lucky draw and are the second weakest team in CPL. Even against a dire Edmonton they barely squeaked through. Montreal will destroy them. I’d guess US/Thailand levels if they played their best 11.
    This match too.

    Impact is home against Minnesota, Away vs York 9, then Home vs TFC.

    They may throw the York9 game. Doesn't mean York9 will score though... :-)
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field)

  11. #41
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    17,092
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    York9 planning to "go after" Montreal.

    "Of all the things in life that don't actually matter, football matters the most." - Stuart McKeown

    Supporting since 2007


  12. #42
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    17,092
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fergiejr View Post
    This match too.

    Impact is home against Minnesota, Away vs York 9, then Home vs TFC.

    They may throw the York9 game. Doesn't mean York9 will score though... :-)
    They might roll out the B squad for York9, then hammer them on the return tie at home.

    The chance of York9 winning over two legs isn't great. The Impact will want to advance to play TFC and win.

  13. #43
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    611
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If the impact put out the B squad York has a good shot to at least win the first leg. Can’t wait to go and I will probably wear my TFC jersey like a douche!

  14. #44
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    4,543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The match I care most about is actually Halifax vs. Ottawa because:

    - It would be awesome for TFC to play in Halifax;
    - I want HFX to embarrass the Fury and make them look even more stupid for not joining the CPL.

  15. #45
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    17,092
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Wednesday, July 10th is a chance for a great evening of soccer seeing who we may potentially play.

    If you are not already a subscriber to Onesoccer you can see these games for free with a free one month trial subscription!

    http://onesoccer.ca

    6pm HFX Wanderers v. Ottawa Fury
    7:30 pm York9 v Montreal Impact
    9:30 pm Cavalry v Whitecaps

    Halifax v Ottawa *should* be pretty close, but we'll see. To my eyes CPL is somewhat better than USL. First ever cross-league match!

    Montreal will probably beat York9, but you never know. They may throw the first game and hammer them in the return tie. Can York9 remedy their scoring woes?

    Whitecaps are coming off a 6-1 loss in league play and have been a dumpster fire both on and off the pitch. Meanwhile Cavalry is easily the strongest CPL team. Mark that one for a possible upset. We'll see!
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 07-08-2019 at 11:32 AM.

  16. #46
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    2,809
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    The match I care most about is actually Halifax vs. Ottawa because:

    - It would be awesome for TFC to play in Halifax;
    - I want HFX to embarrass the Fury and make them look even more stupid for not joining the CPL.
    Being a Fury Season Ticket holder, I'm afraid that you're in for some disappointment as the Fury are currently playing fairly well and are in a playoff position. Personally, I'd like to see HFX win so that we supporters will have ammunition to pressure the club into joining the league in the near future, but I think a Fury win will just confirm to the Front Office that they made the right choice.

  17. #47
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    4,543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Being a Fury Season Ticket holder, I'm afraid that you're in for some disappointment as the Fury are currently playing fairly well and are in a playoff position. Personally, I'd like to see HFX win so that we supporters will have ammunition to pressure the club into joining the league in the near future, but I think a Fury win will just confirm to the Front Office that they made the right choice.
    But wouldn't they draw better crowds in CPL?

  18. #48
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    472
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Wednesday, July 10th is a chance for a great evening of soccer seeing who we may potentially play.

    If you are not already a subscriber to Onesoccer you can see these games for free with a free one month trial subscription!

    http://onesoccer.ca

    6pm HFX Wanderers v. Ottawa Fury
    7:30 pm York9 v Montreal Impact
    9:30 pm Cavalry v Whitecaps

    Halifax v Ottawa *should* be pretty close, but we'll see. To my eyes CPL is somewhat better than USL. First ever cross-league match!

    Montreal will probably beat York9, but you never know. They may throw the first game and hammer them in the return tie. Can York9 remedy their scoring woes?

    Whitecaps are coming off a 6-1 loss in league play and have been a dumpster fire both on and off the pitch. Meanwhile Cavalry is easily the strongest CPL team. Mark that one for a possible upset. We'll see!
    With a Derby game coming up on the weekend, I think there is no way Montreal fields their A team. They will probably bunker and try to steal an away goal, then put out the big guns at the cheese factory next week.

  19. #49
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    2,809
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    But wouldn't they draw better crowds in CPL?
    That's what we supporters would like to think, which is why we think there must be some hidden reason why they haven't joined yet. If CPL is successful over the next three years and CPL teams consistently beat the Fury in Voyageurs Cup matches, then it pretty much throws all the FO's arguments for not joining CPL out the window. I see the Fury joining CPL by 2022 if that happens, assuming they aren't forced to switch by CONCACAF before then (which the Canadian MLS clubs would fight against tooth and nail because of the precedence it sets).

  20. #50
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    17,092
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Whitecaps planning to play their "strongest side" against Calvary.

    https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/can...ver-whitecaps/

  21. #51
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    14,903
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Vancouver's home game this weekend is versus SKC who have issues so maybe they can get away with this.

  22. #52
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    4,543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    That's what we supporters would like to think, which is why we think there must be some hidden reason why they haven't joined yet. If CPL is successful over the next three years and CPL teams consistently beat the Fury in Voyageurs Cup matches, then it pretty much throws all the FO's arguments for not joining CPL out the window. I see the Fury joining CPL by 2022 if that happens, assuming they aren't forced to switch by CONCACAF before then (which the Canadian MLS clubs would fight against tooth and nail because of the precedence it sets).
    MLS clubs aren't 'clubs' in the traditional sense - they are facets of MLS's single entity that an FO gets to operate within a certain geographical area. So they can't just be forced to change leagues like the Fury could.

    If TFC, Van and Montreal were to join the CPL, the originals would have to be dissolved, or something, and new actual clubs created (if I'm understanding it correctly).

  23. #53
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    17,092
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    MLS clubs aren't 'clubs' in the traditional sense - they are facets of MLS's single entity that an FO gets to operate within a certain geographical area. So they can't just be forced to change leagues like the Fury could.

    If TFC, Van and Montreal were to join the CPL, the originals would have to be dissolved, or something, and new actual clubs created (if I'm understanding it correctly).
    That's correct. Legally, the MLS franchises are divisions of a corporation. So while it's possible to spin off a division into it's own corporation (which is how independent clubs are structured), it would require a lot of legal work, and would require MLS FO approval. That's not to say that MLSE couldn't in theory set up a new corporation to be a CPL club, however to keep the TFC identity it would require a buy-out of the MLS rights.

    So no, the CSA is not going to require the 3 MLS sides to change leagues.

    There's already a precedence for two leagues like Canada is ending up with (I believe Ottawa will ultimately migrate to the CPL). Wales has it's own top-flight Welsh Premier League, however there are a few top Welsh teams that play in English football. That doesn't diminish the value of the WPL at all. English football is more prestigious than the WPL, though, and the teams that play in English football are considered more prestigious teams. I think we'll see the same for MLS vs CPL. MLS will continue to be a more prestigious league, but the CPL will have value. The 3 MLS sides will continue to play in MLS, and be more prestigious teams to play for, just like teams like Swansea or Cardiff continue to play in the English pyramid and are more prestigious to play for than Carmarthen Town.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 07-10-2019 at 09:11 AM.
    "Of all the things in life that don't actually matter, football matters the most." - Stuart McKeown

    Supporting since 2007


  24. #54
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    1,188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    MLS clubs aren't 'clubs' in the traditional sense - they are facets of MLS's single entity that an FO gets to operate within a certain geographical area. So they can't just be forced to change leagues like the Fury could.

    If TFC, Van and Montreal were to join the CPL, the originals would have to be dissolved, or something, and new actual clubs created (if I'm understanding it correctly).
    The easiest solution would be to simply sell and move it, as I assume MLSE would have little interest in operating in whichever American market currently doesn’t have an MLS team.

  25. #55
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    14,903
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Soccer is governed by a lot of Laws & Rules that are purposfully vague to allow for intervention when parties want to intervene.

    Consider teams operating in leagues outside of one FA as akin to just another way of interpreting the hand ball rule.

  26. #56
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    1,188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Soccer is governed by a lot of Laws & Rules that are purposfully vague to allow for intervention when parties want to intervene.

    Consider teams operating in leagues outside of one FA as akin to just another way of interpreting the hand ball rule.
    “The code is more what you'd call ‘guidelines’ than actual rules. Welcome to MLS, Miss Turner!”

    Where “guidelines” can be used interchangeably with briefcases full of cash, Picasso paintings, or comically large burlap sacks with dollar signs on them.

  27. #57
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    113 survivor
    Posts
    2,014
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Am I correct in assuming TFC's home match for the next round will be the second leg on August 14? Or can they get stuck with the first leg?

  28. #58
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    17,092
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Impressions mid-evening:

    Fury beating HFX 3-2 not too surprising. Both teams similar quality, but Fury show the benefit of being together longer. TFC could beat both of these teams. Great atmosphere in Halifax! I'd really enjoy a road trip there.

    Montreal's B team similar to York9 at the half. Both have trouble finishing, Montreal better at defense. If Montreal plays their first 11 in Montreal or even something close to it York9 will lose.

  29. #59
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    10,083
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Impressions mid-evening:

    Fury beating HFX 3-2 not too surprising. Both teams similar quality, but Fury show the benefit of being together longer. TFC could beat both of these teams. Great atmosphere in Halifax! I'd really enjoy a road trip there.

    Montreal's B team similar to York9 at the half. Both have trouble finishing, Montreal better at defense. If Montreal plays their first 11 in Montreal or even something close to it York9 will lose.

    Telfer takes over in the last 20 minutes.

    Why is he in York, again? All he's done is a) play well for us, b) played well for them, c) come back and played well for us d) gone back and played excellently tonight.

  30. #60
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    17,092
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Y9 concedes two goals due to shambolic defending and goal keeping. Telfer scores a golazo, forces a corner, takes the corner leading to a second goal for Y9. 2-2 exciting final. Montreal will be forced to play the A team for the return which is great for TFC.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •