Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Delgado should be benched. Hes an ok backup thats all. Hamilton clearly can't start in mls... As a backup he seems to play better. I feel sorry for pozuelo. Deleon tries hard like delgado but isnt good enough. Play layrea up front in deleons spot ... At least hes fast and can dribble by guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    I didn't read all the posts here yet but I thought TFC had energy tonight that we haven't seen in a few games. We did everything but score despite some decent shots. A number of blown shot attempts too. Just didn't have a finisher. DC's game plan was to park the bus and try to counter. That almost backfired on them. I think they only mustered up a few counters and I don't think they had a shot on net all game. Very disappointing to get a draw. Oh well I got a fanny pack....
    The issue I see with this is: missing the chances we had is about what i’d expect given the quality of the players on the roster.

DC didn’t exactly come to play either. While I can appreciate they didn’t just hack Pozuelo to the ground like most other teams, TFC “looking good” but not scoring was exactly their game plan.

There is no moral victory or silver lining here.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    i really have no idea what most of you are going on about

Very different game feeling when there.

Around the 30th minute or so, people cheered because of the dominance - that was how good the performance was (minus the finish which has to get better)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just watched the highlights. Had to be 5-6 decent chances from edge of the box or just outside that TFC missed. Actually not just missed, but not even taken properly.

We can’t score from any kind of distance, so teams are packing the box and taking their chances.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

- Watches a game where we completely dominate the conference leaders at home, outshoot them 35 to 3 (!), and have 71% possession

- Read thread about how shit team and all players are

Wtf? This was the best performance of the season. The only frustration is how reliant we are on Jozy, if he plays we win 2-0 easily. It's a huge drop off to the backup especially if we force them to play up front on their own which isn't Hamiltons game at all. I still worry re-upping him was a mistake based purely on the amount of minutes we'll have to play without him.

But otherwise you can't ask for more than that. If one of those 35 ! shots goes in and the game is otherwise identical all the posters talking about how bad it was would be praising it as an amazing performance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone have good information on what Jozy's injury is? During the broadcast they said a heel injury, but weren't specific. That could be anything from broken bones to an achilles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    He's really not that bad, man. And he's a completely different player from Chapman.

In general, I definitely feel like there's a grudge against Delgado for that CCL miss.
    I heard something in the stands last night that was an interesting take re: Delgado. "People think that Delgado sucks and still hasn't gotten over the CCL missed shot. Really, it's that people haven't gotten over Delgado's missed shot, he's playing the same as he always has."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    so whats jozy s issue this time?
    He's a big Raptor's Fan and was watching the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think signing Boyd and letting Ricketts go was a mistake. Yeah Ricketts' finishing wasn't great, but he had speed and was actually relatively decent in the air. Boyd has no finishing or speed. I hope Ricketts wasn't driven out by all the supporter negativity around him.

At the moment, our wide play is useless. Even if we could put in good crosses, we have no one particularly good in the air to win them. I'm not sure investing in wingers even makes sense without someone who can score with his head. Unless they are a type to cut in and beat two or three people individually, which I doubt we get with TAM money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    - Watches a game where we completely dominate the conference leaders at home, outshoot them 35 to 3 (!), and have 71% possession

Wtf? This was the best performance of the season. The only frustration is how reliant we are on Jozy, if he plays we win 2-0 easily. It's a huge drop off to the backup especially if we force them to play up front on their own which isn't Hamiltons game at all. I still worry re-upping him was a mistake based purely on the amount of minutes we'll have to play without him.

But otherwise you can't ask for more than that. If one of those 35 ! shots goes in and the game is otherwise identical all the posters talking about how bad it was would be praising it as an amazing performance
    thank you

everyone calling hamilton shit.
    Hes not, this is just not his style.

He needs a partner or someone closer behind him.
    He has decent passing / flick ons, he can poach, he can hold the ball up when he has to but he cannot create plays. Not yet anyways.

my problem with Hamilton is he is does use his strength and he doesnt take balls down like a elite striker can. hes a big dude who can shoot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I think signing Boyd and letting Ricketts go was a mistake. Yeah Ricketts' finishing wasn't great, but he had speed and was actually relatively decent in the air. Boyd has no finishing or speed. I hope Ricketts wasn't driven out by all the supporter negativity around him.

At the moment, our wide play is useless. Even if we could put in good crosses, we have no one particularly good in the air to win them. I'm not sure investing in wingers even makes sense without someone who can score with his head. Unless they are a type to cut in and beat two or three people individually, which I doubt we get with TAM money.
    boyd will never get us back into a game.
    All i see is someone who can crash and bang to close out a game.
    He really was a waste of a signing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear MLSE

please let me know a few days before the game if Jozy is playing. If hes not playing fine just let me know beforehand please. do the decent and honorable thing.
    If he is not playing I will sell my seats on stubhub.
    Its been 3 games in a row at home where he hasn't played.
    If he is not playing I know exactly how the game will play out.
    the opponent will park the bus, play for the tie or transition goal to win the game

not worth watching and definitely not worth paying for
    let someone else pay for that shitshow
    Last edited by stevep; 05-16-2019 at 09:10 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's maybe good to remember that it's hard for any team to break down a team coming in with the game plan DC did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    boyd will never get us back into a game.
    All i see is someone who can crash and bang to close out a game.
    He really was a waste of a signing
    One thing that pisses me off is when tfc signs garbage Americans when there are canadians out there who can do the job better for less money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    It's maybe good to remember that it's hard for any team to break down a team coming in with the game plan DC did.
    even the manchester city of mls cant do it

https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/ma...ago-fire/stats

ive come up with a solution for mls to fix this problem. because this parking the bus strategy will kill the league.
    solution is even for the slightest infraction in the penalty zone call a penalty against the bus parkers.
    penalty kick should result in a goal and we got a game.
    also, the added benefit is it drops the opponents win probability down to around 15% after the goal

Drew Fisher had a few opportunities to call pentalty in the red zone a few times however he was to scared to do this.
    didnt want to look like Canadian favouritism

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post

DC were happy to let us dominate possession and didn’t bother much. If their gameplan is to play for a draw and let us kick the ball around, then they succeeded.

We had a lot of shots. Of the ones on target, Hamid made some saves. Of the ones on target including those saved by Hamid, the large majority were of terrible quality.

We could have had even more shots but people stepped into the box confused as to what to do next, dribbled into defenders, missed passes, passed instead of shooting, took too many touches, dove — our attack looked neutered in terms of ability to finish.

That’s exactly what DC wanted.

The team didn’t look bad. We looked good, just with no end product, and DC certainly wasn’t going out of their way to try to interrupt the kick about. There were players who had bad games, made mistakes, and lacked quality. Some had great games.

The people unequivocally saying how bad the team is aren’t right, but neither are the ones saying that the attack is good and that goals will come, that defense is our only issue.

If Mavinga is out making crosses into the box from the opposing goalline or dribbling into the box while simultaneously defending, that’s a guy who wants to win.

If you dribble into the box only to slow down, stop, look for Pozo, hesitate, then whiff a terrible shot or pass...that’s not a winning mentality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    even the manchester city of mls cant do it

https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/ma...ago-fire/stats

ive come up with a solution for mls to fix this problem. because this parking the bus strategy will kill the league.
    solution is even for the slightest infraction in the penalty zone call a penalty against the bus parkers.
    penalty kick should result in a goal and we got a game.
    also, the added benefit is it drops the opponents win probability down to around 15% after the goal

Drew Fisher had a few opportunities to call pentalty in the red zone a few times however he was to scared to do this.
    didnt want to look like Canadian favouritism
    This would be pretty ridiculous.

Parking the bus is a tactical decision and style of play that makes sense for certain teams or in certain matchups. Teams and managers do it in every top league.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    If Mavinga is out making crosses into the box from the opposing goalline or dribbling into the box while simultaneously defending, that’s a guy who wants to win.

If you dribble into the box only to slow down, stop, look for Pozo, hesitate, then whiff a terrible shot or pass...that’s not a winning mentality.
    Or they lack confidence.

It was funny cause Auro took a couple of shots from outside but from inside the box both he & Delgado do not trust themselves. Chapman just shoots the rock.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Or they lack confidence.

It was funny cause Auro took a couple of shots from outside but from inside the box both he & Delgado do not trust themselves. Chapman just shoots the rock.
    Confidence is part of a winning mentality, unfortunately.

Auro actually had one of our best chances from outside the box, though I think Hamid probably would have had it had it not hit the crossbar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    This would be pretty ridiculous.

Parking the bus is a tactical decision and style of play that makes sense for certain teams or in certain matchups. Teams and managers do it in every top league.
    this league does not have the quality players to defeat this strategy.
    ie LAFC at home couldn't defeat it.
    I think its a brilliant idea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’d disagree. We did just that in 2017. Nobody was coming to BMO to play, they knew they were outmatched.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

besides clinical finishing (which is really tough with a megabus in front of goal) I think we lacked speed in moving down the field.

We had one breakaway opportunity in the first with Deleon getting towards the net but then....no ideas. Every other time we turned over the ball, by the time we reached the final third we had allowed at least 7 of their bus passengers back behind the ball. What the actual fuck does it take to just keep running up the damn field and force the issue in the box. Why would we allow them to reset so easily with so little pressure.

Funny, I sound mad but I think the team overall played really really well. Domination even in the face of DCU willingly giving up possession. When they had the ball there was little that we let them do.

So while that feels like a loss for sure there is a lot of positives to take away as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I’d disagree. We did just that in 2017. Nobody was coming to BMO to play, they knew they were outmatched.
    This. one more quality player off of Pozo and the bus breaks down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We won the league against a bunch of teams parking the bus, lol.

If we can’t beat a team playing like that with 30+ shots on net I think maybe changing the rules of the sport is probably not the first or most intelligent option.

That’s like not being able to use block in Street Fighter because your friend doesn’t know how to get around it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section_105 View Post
    This. one more quality player off of Pozo and the bus breaks down.
    I completely agree one good quality piece would potentially hugely change perception.

But I take issue with management through several windows only having one true wide player on the roster and no real offensive firepower at fullback. It’s clear the team needs these things to function.

If our new mega signing suddenly misses a week, we’re potentially right back to where we are now. The run-of-the mill signings should have been added a long time ago. They are low risk at the end of the day. Curtis has given himself a long laundry list of things to do in the summer window.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I completely agree one good quality piece would potentially hugely change perception.

But I take issue with management through several windows only having one true wide player on the roster and no real offensive firepower at fullback. It’s clear the team needs these things to function.

If our new mega signing suddenly misses a week, we’re potentially right back to where we are now. The run-of-the mill signings should have been added a long time ago. They are low risk at the end of the day. Curtis has given himself a long laundry list of things to do in the summer window.
    What wide player do we have? I see 0 true wingers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    What wide player do we have? I see 0 true wingers.
    DeLeon, technically. Maybe not in the truest sense but i’d count that as one.

Not really a starter IMO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DeLeon, technically. Maybe not in the truest sense but i’d count that as one.

Not really a starter IMO
    He was a fullback in DC. To me hes a backup fullback or wingback. Hes too slow and 0 creativity. I would rather try layrea on the wing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdogg View Post
    I heard something in the stands last night that was an interesting take re: Delgado. "People think that Delgado sucks and still hasn't gotten over the CCL missed shot. Really, it's that people haven't gotten over Delgado's missed shot, he's playing the same as he always has."
    I so agree with this. And over the last little bit I've seen a marked confidence in his touch/passing and willingness to shoot the ball. The guy is perfectly serviceable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Curtis is like Chidi from the Good Place - this guy can't pull the trigger on anything. Probably has a million venn diagrams and spreadsheets about targets but can't get anything done.