Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Separately, I think part of the reason we are seeing this crap is because Bradley’s recovery runs and physically dominance in the midfield isn’t what it used to be. It once covered for the fact we pushed a lot of players forward and at least some of our CB’s were shit. No more, it seems.
    He needs to just anchor in front the back line. Straight up DM. Sometimes his foot speed seemed okay but I also think his days of 90+ minutes per match for 36+ matches a season has passed.

That being said I still stick to what I said that if our style of play doesn't adjust to what Vanney says he wants to do then either we fire him or we trade Delgado & Bradley. Those are my two main culprits when it comes to dragging the speed down with shit passing and purposeless possession.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We keep talking about defensive issue. While it needs improvement, our attacking options are a bigger worry. We are "in" every game so far & out - "stat" the opposition but we cannot score or even shoot on net. Are we now entering another era of a losing culture whereby the players lack confidence in team mates & themselves to win the games where we outplay opponents. We knew more than a year ago that we needed additions to stay competitive & as folk say , we are 2 injuries way from bottom feeding again. This is hugely disappointing for a team with the largest payroll. To announce 5-6 weeks ago that signings would "happen within a week " to find out that their clubs wont release them ? . I have now lowered my expectations not my support in order to deal with our table position after next 10 games.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dow117 View Post
    We keep talking about defensive issue. While it needs improvement, our attacking options are a bigger worry. We are "in" every game so far & out - "stat" the opposition but we cannot score or even shoot on net. Are we now entering another era of a losing culture whereby the players lack confidence in team mates & themselves to win the games where we outplay opponents. We knew more than a year ago that we needed additions to stay competitive & as folk say , we are 2 injuries way from bottom feeding again. This is hugely disappointing for a team with the largest payroll. To announce 5-6 weeks ago that signings would "happen within a week " to find out that their clubs wont release them ? . I have now lowered my expectations not my support in order to deal with our table position after next 10 games.
    Like I said earlier, we could have signed 4 TAM guys and unless we correct our style of play, shape, and tactics then no amount of new players minus individual displays of brilliance will matter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Like I said earlier, we could have signed 4 TAM guys and unless we correct our style of play, shape, and tactics then no amount of new players minus individual displays of brilliance will matter.
    Interesting point made post-game by KJ. Basically saying we are living on displays of individual brilliance and the “system” by itself is not providing much in the way of opportunity to score.

Sometimes it’s hard to see with this team what is tactical and what is a failure to execute said tactics.

I might have described Saturday as a bit of both. With tactics leaving is vulnerable on goal one and pure stupidity killing us on goal two. The best coach in the world couldn’t have saved Zavaleta from himself there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    He needs to just anchor in front the back line. Straight up DM. Sometimes his foot speed seemed okay but I also think his days of 90+ minutes per match for 36+ matches a season has passed.

That being said I still stick to what I said that if our style of play doesn't adjust to what Vanney says he wants to do then either we fire him or we trade Delgado & Bradley. Those are my two main culprits when it comes to dragging the speed down with shit passing and purposeless possession.
    In the Philly way game Bradley was outstanding when given the freedom to jump into attack when needed. Since Poz came in Bradley's role is what exactly? Destroyer DM, Box to Box, Deep Playmaker?

Since Pozuelo joined Bradley has not had a good impact on the offensive side. He's not playing attempting short precise asses that are being intercepted and never running up to support the attack. He's being wasted. Bradley dind't suddenly turn into a terrible player he's not being supported propperly same as a bunch of other that are square pegs in round Vanney holes
    Last edited by SirBobSaget; 05-13-2019 at 04:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    ^ Someone did a good breakdown of each goal yesterday on Twitter.

Goal #1: Delgado gives away the ball. Auro is instantly caught high. Zavaleta goes tight to prevent the Union player from turning and running at speed. Not a bad decision; however, the second the runner starts moving up the flank for the break out Zavaleta has to make the tactical foul and stop the play. He doesn’t. The union player releases the runner who crosses the ball in for the goal as Ciman can’t cover on time and Mavinga is just plain unlucky.

Goal #2. We actually had a numerical advantage in terms of players defending vs. Attacking but Zavaleta is slow, doesn’t spot the danger inside from the late run, and moves to double team the winger with Ciman when he shouldn’t. This puts someone (Mivinga I think) in a tough spot coming across late to close down the player. Again it’s too late and it’s 2-1 union.

Honestly Zavaleta’s continues inclusion within the team has gone long after its best-before date. I would take the chance on someone else who could develop as opposed to a player we already know is too slow and can’t read the game well.

This has become a farsical charitable exercise at nearly 300k a year in salary

Separately, I think part of the reason we are seeing this crap is because Bradley’s recovery runs and physically dominance in the midfield isn’t what it used to be. It once covered for the fact we pushed a lot of players forward and at least some of our CB’s were shit. No more, it seems.
    Pretty sure Pozuelo gave the ball away on the first goal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post
    In the Philly way game Bradley was outstanding when given the freedom to jump into attack when needed. Since Poz came in Bradley's role is what exactly? Destroyer DM, Box to Box, Deep Playmaker?

Since Pozuelo joined Bradley has not had a good impact on the offensive side. He's not playing attempting short precise asses that are being intercepted and never running up to support the attack. He's being wasted. Bradley dind't suddenly turn into a terrible player he's not being supported propperly same as a bunch of other that are square pegs in round Vanney holes
    Ya, there is something to this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post
    In the NYCFC game that Pozuelo exploded, we played 4-2-3-1 with Bradley in the 2, Poz centrally in the 3, and Altidore up top.

Bringing Pozuelo closer to Bradley is better for the team.

Having him up top as one of the 2 is IMO a waste. In the 3-5-2 we played on Saturday I'd have swapped Poz and Osorio, so that Poz can be fed more directly by Bradley.

To me this is much more explicitly the role Vazquez played for us in 2017.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    In the NYCFC game that Pozuelo exploded, we played 4-2-3-1 with Bradley in the 2, Poz centrally in the 3, and Altidore up top.

Bringing Pozuelo closer to Bradley is better for the team.

Having him up top as one of the 2 is IMO a waste. In the 3-5-2 we played on Saturday I'd have swapped Poz and Osorio, so that Poz can be fed more directly by Bradley.

To me this is much more explicitly the role Vazquez played for us in 2017.
    He has never been “up top as one of the 2” though (unless you mean he also was against NYCFC), and Pozo isn’t here to slot into Vazquez’ role. He’s here to play the 10 in a 4-3-3 that we can’t play because we don’t have the players to do it.

Considering how talented he is compared to MLS defenders, we may as well play with Pozo up top with Jozy and put Osorio or Chapman behind since they’d be Pozo’s backup if he ever has to sit a match anyway. It would save him from having to run up and down the pitch for 90’ at least...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    He has never been “up top as one of the 2” though (unless you mean he also was against NYCFC), and Pozo isn’t here to slot into Vazquez’ role. He’s here to play the 10 in a 4-3-3 that we can’t play because we don’t have the players to do it.
    The lineups submitted show him sitting behind a lone striker, but in practice it's been pretty equal in who is challenging the last defender, and then walking back once the opposition possession has moved forward (note this is not a criticism, it is simply an observation as to the function).

Why wouldn't we put him a little deeper in transition? I'm not looking for him to come back and defend (Vazquez wasn't expected to do that either) but I currently feel he's not getting service because when we gain possession he's too far up the pitch.

Managing his legs is a valid concern, though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pozo was going way too deep the past few matches. He really had no choice because if our mids have their way they would just recycle it back to the D and to the GK over and over until hopefully the opposing team gets lulled into boredom and we can pounce on their somnolence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    The lineups submitted show him sitting behind a lone striker, but in practice it's been pretty equal in who is challenging the last defender, and then walking back once the opposition possession has moved forward (note this is not a criticism, it is simply an observation as to the function).

Why wouldn't we put him a little deeper in transition? I'm not looking for him to come back and defend (Vazquez wasn't expected to do that either) but I currently feel he's not getting service because when we gain possession he's too far up the pitch.

Managing his legs is a valid concern, though.
    I’d prefer Pozo playing higher but he’s often back to retrieve balls or bring the ball up.

There are times when he’s basically back in our box.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy fined for that kick into the stands.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Jozy fined for that kick into the stands.
    Was Osorio fined for his dive, or are embellishment fines only if they weren’t yellow carded at the time?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Looks like it’s only if they don’t card you then.