Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    This game will be remembered in October, as the beginning of the downfall. I just cancelled the $25 per month Bell sports package. Going to have a great spring and summer without watching this team.
    This was an example of a scripted game. From the start of the game the expected points for TFC was 0.50. this is really low.
    Usually an away game is 1.0 expected points.
    This was clearly a game TFC threw away as well as the Portland game was.
    I am convinced last years script was for TFC to go into every game or during the game an event would occur that would lower TFC's expected win probability by 25%.

I see no evidence that this is the script for this year. I don't think MLS and MLSE can play with fire two years in a row.

I think the league will let them play this year. Don't give up there will be many great games this year.
    If Jozy is back I expect Saturday to be a great game.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zero surprise at the score. Vanney resting the real team. Not sure why he played Pozo, don't think that was a good idea.

Well the kids can't complain, Vanney gave them the chance. Some of them are not good enough for MLS (yet), maybe ok against a CPL team in the Canadian Championship.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The positives:
    Zavaleta and Ciman held on as much as they possibly could, they constantly had runners flying at them
    Bono made some big saves and did well enough collecting in the box
    Frasier looked OK

The only negative i'll mention is Bradley ran around way too much for a game that was being looked past.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could see the difference in Quality when Osorio came on, but I remain puzzled why Vanney made so many changes. And why he didn’t rest Poz.
    Two or three changes, yes: like Chapman for Poz and Ayo for JHams. But seven?
    Also, wonder why he doesn’t go with Hamilton and Ayo up front. They seem to make each other better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm really not too wound up about this result. Scheduling is heavy and heat from an Orlando game on the weekend means lots of guys were likely running on empty. Playing different guys was necessary simply to manage workloads. My beef is with the team for not adding anybody in the window that just closed. They are slow, to a fault. You don't need a summer window to acquire most of the players we need.

Outside of that, Terrence Boyd is stealing a paycheque . It boggles the mind that anyone could have scouted this guy and said "this is what we need". It's plainly obvious after about 10 seconds he doesn't have the first touch to play the game at this level. They might as well have kept Ricketts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FootBallAZ View Post
    think they said 42k was previous low and today was like close to 30k as it set the new low in attendance
    No, today was 42k, which is the new low.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think Vanney was making some kind of statement to management about needing reinforcements by playing this lineup, I think he's just trying to keep the long-term goal in mind. That being said it's painfully obvious we're not a very deep team and the front office really laid an egg this window.

I doubt this is the only game in May Vanney circled for rotation... though others may not be as heavy given we're playing weaker teams towards the end of the month.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    I don't think Vanney was making some kind of statement to management about needing reinforcements by playing this lineup, I think he's just trying to keep the long-term goal in mind. That being said it's painfully obvious we're not a very deep team and the front office really laid an egg this window.

I doubt this is the only game in May Vanney circled for rotation... though others may not be as heavy given we're playing weaker teams towards the end of the month.
    If the long term goal was to not make the play-offs.. then you are right. We threw away 3 points against what should be a rival team for the East Title. We had played the least games in the league..there was no excuse to play this game two win. Remember we will lose players for the Gold Cup...this has been happening for too long and we fans should not be so accepting of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do so many people on this board seem to think that an away game - any away game, let alone one against a decent team - can ever be considered an automatic win? This isn't hockey or basketball where winning away is more common.

Away wins are hardest in soccer, harder than probably any other sport, MLS even more so. Maybe with a full-strength lineup tonight we could have snagged a draw or maybe maybe a win, but we in no way, shape or form 'gave away' a win. That's just silly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Why do so many people on this board seem to think that an away game - any away game, let alone one against a decent team - can ever be considered an automatic win? This isn't hockey or basketball where winning away is more common.

Away wins are hardest in soccer, harder than probably any other sport, MLS even more so. Maybe with a full-strength lineup tonight we could have snagged a draw or maybe maybe a win, but we in no way, shape or form 'gave away' a win. That's just silly.
    We certainly gave away a win with the lineup that was fielded. Seven changes in the rotation, several in the back line alone, many of which have never played together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a poor showing,TFC had no energy, I don't buy the temperature or turf excuses, because the opposing team was playing in the same conditions,
    and Atlanta had energy, 7 changes to your starting 11 is unacceptable, and the teams lack of urgency and refusal to shoot at the goal is on coaching.

Akinola, Lareya, Boyd, Fraser, were invisible and I would rate at 2.5 Zavaleta 3.5, Ciman 4 Bono 4, Bradley 4, Poz 5.5, Chapman 5, Vanney 3,
    Subs: Boyd 1.5, Oso 3, Morrow 3

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atlanta is used to that turf - the excuse about the temperature is recovery from the Orlando game.

Up until about the 25th minute, we were even. Then they figured out Fraser's lack of mobility & Laryea's unwillingness to track back & that was pretty much the ball game.The sort of game that had we scored one of those sitters in the first 20 minutes would be seen on here in a very different light.

Our B team didn't take our chances - their A team eventually did.

The only issue out of that game for me was 90 minutes for Pozeulo who needs to have his minutes watched.

In this league, coming back from a 2 game road swing in 4 days with 3 points and some squad rotation is a job done.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my opinion this just comes down to our B team playing bad more than Atlanta playing that good. Damn Atlanta is a beatable team but the timing for us to play our first choice lineup against them wasn't there so not too surprised at the result. I still can't believe Vanney took out 7 starters (missing 8 starters if you include Jozy). That is a lot and more than I expected for sure. Brings me back to the lineups we used when we had the CCL congestion last year except we didn't have USL players playing this time in a few spots. Atlanta had some quick counter attacks. TFC had the chance to counter but did it at a slower jogging pace most times. Weird to see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Atlanta is used to that turf - the excuse about the temperature is recovery from the Orlando game.

Up until about the 25th minute, we were even. Then they figured out Fraser's lack of mobility & Laryea's unwillingness to track back & that was pretty much the ball game.The sort of game that had we scored one of those sitters in the first 20 minutes would be seen on here in a very different light.

Our B team didn't take our chances - their A team eventually did.

The only issue out of that game for me was 90 minutes for Pozeulo who needs to have his minutes watched.

In this league, coming back from a 2 game road swing in 4 days with 3 points and some squad rotation is a job done.
    I do agree Og, it is just frustrating when you see our B side trying not to make mistakes and not play football, even sometimes
    our A team do not take chances, and do the cautious short back pass bullshit, and that is Vanney's stupid philosophy.
    It drives me to drink, and get grey hair

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    I do agree Og, it is just frustrating when you see our B side trying not to make mistakes and not play football, even sometimes
    our A team do not take chances, and do the cautious short back pass bullshit, and that is Vanney's stupid philosophy.
    It drives me to drink, and get grey hair
    Actually, Vanney is on record that they shouldn't be doing that. FWIW Pep Guardiola has had the same criticisms of his teams. It's what possession based football often degenerates into when the offense is not working and the defense is suspect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Actually, Vanney is on record that they shouldn't be doing that. FWIW Pep Guardiola has had the same criticisms of his teams. It's what possession based football often degenerates into when the offense is not working and the defense is suspect.
    Well okay he says that and yet Mr. Backpass has been a mainstay in our midfield since forever. Our first choice LB is also a major offender.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I the only one that saw this:

Both DeLeon and Laryea seemed to deliberately look off Pozu multiple times throughout the game and then, almost immediately, lose the ball themselves, or selfishly take a shot instead of getting the ball to Pozu?

What the hell!? I am not a fan of either of them. Also, amateur stuff from Akinola--multiple offsides and missed opportunities.
    Last edited by Graeme; 05-09-2019 at 07:39 AM. Reason: grammar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We should've just completely parked the bus and played for the 0-0 draw last night. Yeah sure, Atlanta may be down in the standings but they're starting to find their form. Ah well, onwards and upwards and I look forward to seeing our full, healthy starting 11 on Saturday at home vs Philly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post

Before game started based on the betting odds TFC expected points was 1 point. This is the typical expected points on an away game.

Replacing 7 starters dropped expected points to 0.5.

So we technically threw 0.5 points away tonight. What's half a point?
    Nothing

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Well okay he says that and yet Mr. Backpass has been a mainstay in our midfield since forever. Our first choice LB is also a major offender.
    If you don't pass it forward you don't score. It should be obvious to these players, they are professionals. So why aren't they passing forward?
    Well, when Jozy isn't playing (which is half the time) they can't exactly trust someone like Fraser or Hamilton to hold it up.

That comes back to team construction. Bez hasn't exactly set Columbus on fire (they're currently in 5th, exactly where they closed last year), and his replacement Curtis so so cautious we may never sign enough players to have a deep enough squad, unless we manage to produce them all ourselves. We're crying for depth, and while the MLS cap is very restricting, many other teams do "depth" better than TFC.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look, to Delgado or Morrow, it’s not about who is in front of them on the field, it’s a matter of having the confidence to make those passes. They don’t exactly find Jozy with regularity either.

Blaming our second choice strikers seems to be reason du jour around here. It’s more concerning that otherwise first choice guys can’t shoulder more of the weight in the absence of one key player in the starting lineup. That should really be the expectation.

Not a criticism of this game specifically, to be clear.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    lol ,,see you after the next win....
    I don’t owe anybody an explanation. I sat through rain, cold, snow, wind, in the upper west bleachers, from 2007 to 2014. Then, moved seats several times, and finally ended up in a great section 205 seat among some of the nicest fans you will ever meet. Attended every game of that 2017 season.

I have seen it all. I recall watching this club go NINE games without scoring. All the shenanigans, mediocrity, abysmal trips home on the Dufferin 29, soaking wet and wondering why bother. I am older than most of you. Enjoying sports entertainment is not an addiction nor does it test ones loyalty to a club or a brand. This is soccer, not a religion.
    Last edited by 69Chevy396; 05-09-2019 at 09:29 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a few observations. I thought the team played well considering who they started, but Morgan is not a professional level player, we only have one true starter at forward all the rest are support players, Bono for the life of him cannot pass the ball at distance with his feet although he did play well I don't think he should start again other than the Canadian Championships. Ciman, Haggland and Laryea played well. Frasier is a quality young Canadian midfielder who somehow needs to see more game time and finally all those complaining about the attendance of 42k on a Wednesday night should see go and see what the attendance was for the other games played last night.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thing is though - that team beats about 1/2 of MLS at home & competes with that half away. Our current B team can't compete with Atlanta's A team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    If you don't pass it forward you don't score. It should be obvious to these players, they are professionals. So why aren't they passing forward?
    Well, when Jozy isn't playing (which is half the time) they can't exactly trust someone like Fraser or Hamilton to hold it up.

That comes back to team construction. Bez hasn't exactly set Columbus on fire (they're currently in 5th, exactly where they closed last year), and his replacement Curtis so so cautious we may never sign enough players to have a deep enough squad, unless we manage to produce them all ourselves. We're crying for depth, and while the MLS cap is very restricting, many other teams do "depth" better than TFC.
    The FO simply hasn’t equipped the team to succeed, ESPECIALLY when we’re facing an adverse situation, like injuries or tight schedules.

Atlanta was starting Brek Shea out of position (though it doesn’t matter where he starts, he’s bound to be terrible), and were without Barco who has actually been good for them this year.

Our attack looks pretty toothless. Chapman and Pozo looked okay, but Pozo seemed tired and frustrated (again). Akinola was either offside constantly or thought he was offside and lacked the instinct to actually score. If your positioning is so bad you think you’re offside when you’re not, maybe it’s time to figure out why? Osorio’s dive and subsequent card were egregious. That’s not the mentality you want in front of goal... at least sell it and not end up looking like a goofball.

Boyd is a problem. He serves no purpose. Can’t pass. Can’t score. Can’t hold the ball up. Can’t even win the ball in the air. I’m not even sure he draws defenders because they can probably tell he doesn’t know what to do with the ball at his feet.

The worst part is that we had chances today, but no one could finish. Bradley was close, at least.

Bradley has way too much to do in a game like this and ends up making mistakes. Fraser was slow and useless, and, like most of the guys we bring up, doesn’t look ready or MLS level.

Our defense was pretty weak and constantly got caught on the counter... thank god VAR and offside were our best players today. Ciman better at doing everything that isn’t defending, Nephew is Nephew, no one looked great at LB or RB today.

Bono... actually wasn’t that bad. He made some good saves today. His distribution is still awful, but the save on the counter and free kick made it seem like he still has something to give.

This was hardly our B team putting in minutes only to have their confidence destroyed, like throwing Dunn to the wolves. These are guys who are going to be putting in a minutes this season. I don’t feel like having Hamilton up there alone would have done much.

“Don’t worry, goal scoring isn’t our problem.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW, Brett Shea always plays LB

He always looks like he is playing out of position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    FWIW, Brett Shea always plays LB

He always looks like he is playing out of position.
    I always thought he converted because he sucks no matter where he plays and LBs are harder to find.

My bad!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    The only thing I'm upset about today is Pozuelo is about to play 90 minutes once again
    Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Maybe this is a subtle Vanney fuck you to management for not getting him some more quality in the window. "You think we can do more with the kids? Okay, I'll play the kids."
    These two kind of summed it up for me. Even bringing Oso on felt like it was just to give him some training time. Boyd, dunno why he saw the pitch and Morrow was because Morgan was having a bad night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't understand why we play a B team in this game. Having games midweek and then at the weekend is quite common in Europe and players are not rested. Atalanta didn't look great and we could have beat them. Orlando and Atlanta are in the same time zone as Toronto, so no jetlag. I would perhaps understand it better for the Real game.
    Having said that, even when we had some more starters on, the game was there for the taking - and we didn't look like we really wanted to take it.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ridiculous match. Felt like the days we first had Bradley and Oso batting the ball backwards for most of the match because they didn't have the ideas or gusto for the last pass.

I would've preferred even the fruitless crosses in we were used to. There was so few runs in behind and it's when we looked best. I liked Akinolas holding up but we needed more runs to him for the shots (attempts even).

This felt so wasted. So much possession for possessions sake.

It won't get easier for Sat.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER