Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, just a little critical of this approach. If you are a person who feels they are a "fan" of all Toronto teams, my gut feeling (and I know it is a general sweep of a multitude of humans) is you are far more a "viewer" or "follower" of those teams than a "fan". Fan means a deeper connection, tapping into something more soulful than water cooler conversation.
    If we were in Spain and a group of fans of Atletico Madrid, would we be saying "Ah, Real Madrid is out of Champion's League, this might be a time to convert some of their fans"? No, you suffer with your team through thick and thin. You expect other fan's to, too.
    It is in the interest of Bell and Rogers to have this city stay a bandwagon city, with viewers who will switch their interests (and eyeballs) from screen to screen, from sport to sport. They NEVER want anyone to connect deep enough with their team's misfortune that they won't watch sports or tv or their phone for a while...
    If you a big Leaf fan, you have interests that frankly I don't share. If you have chosen to not support TFC at any time during their first 11 years, fair enough. Not going to spend a second to try a change your mind.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mentioned this in another thread but I'll add it here.

This is something the club should be doing.

I think it's a good idea to recruit new fans. I think as supporters, it's difficult to sell. The team is okay, the support is barely okay, and the game day atmosphere isn't the party it was in the first years.

So yeah, TFC, try to convert leaf fans to come to a game or two. But let's be honest, we really don't have a whole to offer them if they're lukewarm about MLS other than the occasional good time at great price point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Still Kicking View Post
    Sorry, just a little critical of this approach. If you are a person who feels they are a "fan" of all Toronto teams, my gut feeling (and I know it is a general sweep of a multitude of humans) is you are far more a "viewer" or "follower" of those teams than a "fan". Fan means a deeper connection, tapping into something more soulful than water cooler conversation.
    If we were in Spain and a group of fans of Atletico Madrid, would we be saying "Ah, Real Madrid is out of Champion's League, this might be a time to convert some of their fans"? No, you suffer with your team through thick and thin. You expect other fan's to, too.
    It is in the interest of Bell and Rogers to have this city stay a bandwagon city, with viewers who will switch their interests (and eyeballs) from screen to screen, from sport to sport. They NEVER want anyone to connect deep enough with their team's misfortune that they won't watch sports or tv or their phone for a while...
    If you a big Leaf fan, you have interests that frankly I don't share. If you have chosen to not support TFC at any time during their first 11 years, fair enough. Not going to spend a second to try a change your mind.
    Only that would be like us supporting MTL once we’re out of the playoffs, only worse.

A better example would be if Atleti had a handball or basketball team or something, as they’d be under the same ownership.

Didn’t TFC2 played home games at BMO and Lamport last year for the most part? They had an average attendance of < 1,000, while being the same team and same sport (there are other reasons their attendance is low too).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So the mainstream media is still buzzing about that Raptor win in dramatic fashion the other night, there have been a lot of talk of comparisons of how great the dramatic win was with the other dramatic and exciting wins in the past by other Toronto sports teams , from famous leaf wins, to Jays wins and even past Argo wins but nada nothing about the dramatic TFC win over Montreal in 2016 or even TFC’s MLS Cup win in 2017 with Altidore’s MLS Cup winning goal. It was only 2 years ago but not a mention of TFC’s feats. Just goes to show you how very little of a dent TFC did with the mainstream media and the general Toronto sports fan, even with these two incredible wins just a few years ago.