Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Maple Leafs out... Isn't time to convert some of their fans to be also TFC fans?

As you all probably know, the Maple Leafs are out (again) after the first round of the playoffs, and in a shameful way.
    I was reading this morning on 2 Leafs discussion boards, and their supporters are flaming, some of them say they are finished for forever supporting this team, etc, etc.... so just the "usual" talk in these kind of situations.

Now, the only reason I've opened this thread, is because I'm thinking:
    Isn't now the very best time window open (for about 5 months) to convert some Maple Leafs fans, to become (also) TFC supporters? The type of people who until now were not interested at all in TFC, but they are marginally liking footy at least.

I'm not living in Toronto, but I bet many, many of you have friends, colleagues, neighbors who like sports, are big on the Leafs, but never saw a TFC game. Now is the time to talk to them, and do your best to invite them to 1-2 TFC games... and then pray for those game to be "good ones". As atmosphere and result.

What else could you do?
    You could make a membership real fast in 1-2 of the Maple Leafs discussion boards, and in one of the threads where this new Leaf unsuccess is discussed make a post(s) to invite them politely to a new experience... to a TFC game.

What's the worst that can happen? Some idiots will curse you, or you may be banned (but not if you're polite.)
    But I think it's really worth the try.

Here's an example thread:
    https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...-lose.2638433/

One thing would be good to mention in all your talks and posts is that the average TFC player is earning just 1/4-1/3 (I have no idea what the real amount would be) of what the average Leafs player earns per year, but most of them do play their hearts out for the crest.
    This is a thing that really matters for Toronto area fans!

Honestly, I think if at least 200 TFC fans would take action upon the above 2 action lines, maybe 2,000 new TFC game-goers and future TFC fans could be gained.

Any other thoughts on this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I think most Leaf fans will be hopping on the Raptors bandwagon for the next couple of weeks. I probably would wait to talk to them until after the Raps get knocked out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leafs
    Jays
    Raptors
    TFC/ Argos

This is the hierarchy. I would say TFC has been pretty successful at taking a chunk out of the Argos historical fan-base.

Also, the Leafs players need to stop doing TV commercials and focus on hockey.
    Last edited by BelfastBoy; 04-24-2019 at 07:34 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Won’t be happening anytime soon. TFC almost won everything there was to win a couple of years ago a kick away from winning our version of the Champions League on this side of the world. The attendance has stayed more or less the same around what 25000 give or take every game , very seldom able to sell out BMO at 30000 seats. TV ratings are still very bad like before all the winning . TFC is what it is it’s a solid 4th. in terms of team sports popularity in Toronto. I don’t see it changing not when the other 3 sports teams play in the best league in the world in their respective sports. Moreover, a lot of soccer fans would rather follow the big leagues in Europe than TFC. Another way of looking at it is the other 3 teams all play so much more games in a season than TFC. Leafs, Raptors and Jays all play over 80 games a season and especially for the leafs and Jays all of their over 80 games on TV get ratings of over I would say on average over 500000 tv viewers a game while TFC who play like what around 35 games total from all competitions are lucky to get 80000 or so on average tv viewers a game and their only on TV 35 times or so. Moreover, they only play like maybe 20 home games or so a season but yet can’t sell out BMO field , while the leafs, Raptors are getting 20000 or so at their home games over 40 times a year and even the Jays even when they are bad are averaging close to over 20000 for something like 80 home games a year , never mind when they are good and pulling in over 35000 80 times a year that’s a crazy average for 80 home games TFC plays like 20 home games a year and can barely get 25000 a game even when they are good for only 20 home games. TFC may be the 4th.popular team in Toronto but the popularity between TFC and the other 3 is not even close when you look at the above numbers unfortunately and I doubt things will ever change, it is what is but I will always keep supporting no matter what.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Won’t be happening anytime soon. TFC almost won everything there was to win a couple of years ago a kick away from winning our version of the Champions League on this side of the world. The attendance has stayed more or less the same around what 25000 give or take every game , very seldom able to sell out BMO at 30000 seats. TV ratings are still very bad like before all the winning . TFC is what it is it’s a solid 4th. in terms of team sports popularity in Toronto. I don’t see it changing not when the other 3 sports teams play in the best league in the world in their respective sports. Moreover, a lot of soccer fans would rather follow the big leagues in Europe than TFC. Another way of looking at it is the other 3 teams all play so much more games in a season than TFC. Leafs, Raptors and Jays all play over 80 games a season and especially for the leafs and Jays all of their over 80 games on TV get ratings of over I would say on average over 500000 tv viewers a game while TFC who play like what around 35 games total from all competitions are lucky to get 80000 or so on average tv viewers a game and their only on TV 35 times or so. Moreover, they only play like maybe 20 home games or so a season but yet can’t sell out BMO field , while the leafs, Raptors are getting 20000 or so at their home games over 40 times a year and even the Jays even when they are bad are averaging close to over 20000 for something like 80 home games a year , never mind when they are good and pulling in over 35000 80 times a year that’s a crazy average for 80 home games TFC plays like 20 home games a year and can barely get 25000 a game even when they are good for only 20 home games. TFC may be the 4th.popular team in Toronto but the popularity between TFC and the other 3 is not even close when you look at the above numbers unfortunately and I doubt things will ever change, it is what is but I will always keep supporting no matter what.
    These are the people that really need to be targeted for becoming potential fans, IMHO. It still baffles me that 12 years in there are still Euro-snobs in Toronto who are diehard football fans but refuse to even give TFC a sniff. If you can convince any of those people to go out to a game, that would be a great breakthrough.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have never bought the “taking share” idea, especially as it relates to the Argos. They have declined all by themselves, and those fans just go to the NFL on TV.

I think, to the extent there is an overlap, it's with TFC and the Raps. Those are the two sports that are world games.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW Jays averaged over 29k at home last year. (And I suppose if your point is that 2019's average so far is 20k, I'll remind you that it's April.)

The reality to me is that baseball isn't a sports crowd, it's an event crowd. Basketball and hockey at least have similar structural elements (end to end with a specific target to score) but the troglodyte fanbase of hockey and cult of toughness makes it a tough sell for MLS/TFC to make inroads with them. Basketball is a better bet.

... and, yeah, eurosnob fans aren't fans of *the game*, they are fans of their team. If they support perennial winners, they don't care about the game at all. If they support perennial sad sacks overseas, again, it's about identity rather than about the game itself. But at least the framework for the sport will make sense to them, especially now that the cup is a one-off tourney (which makes it easier to sell the Shield as a real thing IMO).
    Last edited by paul-collins; 04-24-2019 at 10:27 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Initial B hit it on the head with the raptors soaking up attention for the next few weeks (but is flat wrong about the knock out part....going...all .....the....way!!! : ) I actually have no idea if they will or not based on the 5 games I've seen all year.

There are die hard leaf fans that are pissed but will never leave. wonder how many are also in the "soccer sucks' category.
    There are some bandwagoners that were probably also on the Jays wagon until last year.....but if they are into sports I think footy will keep them hooked.

anyone know if they are pushing TFC on leafs fans the way they were pushing that marlies shit on us a couple of years ago?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Friday night of the the Poz debut TFC put 25k in BMO outdoors...the Jays drew 19k. The jays only draw if they are competitive.

The only way to get Leafs Fans would be to print special edition tickets and price them at $250 each...give them to corporations for $25 each and ask them to give them out to their clients. Does anyone even know a person who pays for their own Leaf tickets? The atmosphere for the last home game was abysmal & that was before they were behind. 52 years of abysmal failure and they are still the most monied franchise. Wow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    These are the people that really need to be targeted for becoming potential fans, IMHO. It still baffles me that 12 years in there are still Euro-snobs in Toronto who are diehard football fans but refuse to even give TFC a sniff. If you can convince any of those people to go out to a game, that would be a great breakthrough.
    The problem is that these people are almost certainly the ones who wouldn’t go, unless it was free, and when they do go (for free), they complain about how bad the level of play is. It’s the same reason MLS is discounted in online soccer communities: “MLS defense,” “MLS keeping,” “retirement home,” “why would Italy even bother calling up a washed up MLS player like Giovinco,” etc. TFC also lost all the goodwill they could have developed with these sorts of fans by being abysmally bad for so long.

You’re unlikely to ever convert die hard Premier League fans who think every other league is filled with farmers and accountants playing as a hobby, the United supporters from childhood or Arsenal fans who started watching during a World Cup in their childhood and picked up a copy of FIFA and they were the first team on the list so they chose them — TFC will always be Timbits soccer to them.

Plenty of Raps, Leafs, and Jays fans at TFC games, or people who do both. Any “sports fan” appreciates the cheaper TFC tickets, atmosphere, and shorter length of the game with few breaks. It’s often ideal for kids too when the games aren’t on school nights or too late. There’s a lot of fans of European teams as well, but these are the ones who do and would gladly go to TFC games when they can. I’ve met some very small town “good Canadian boys” even from an older segment of the populace who, while not football fans and the furthest thing from it, can admire the skill and athleticism of the players and can sit through a game and even enjoy it as long as it’s not a snorefest or time wasting stretcher-o-rama.

Leafs fans who wouldn’t already go to a TFC match don’t even go to Marlies games, so I don’t know how converting that group is even possible. A lot of these “fans” have never been to a Leafs game and may not even live near enough to the city to go to a game on a whim.

Plus, Toronto only shows up for winning teams and TV viewership for MLS is pretty bad.

TFC has done a good job of getting people out to watch, and marketing the team towards young, urban professionals was a good choice — though I personally know numerous people who cancelled their seasons after last year’s performance (though to be fair they only bought in during the Seba era).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE does cross promoting with all the fan bases of each of their teams

TFC season ticket holders get Marlies and Raptor offers quite often

The only reason the Leaf's are not included is they sell out every night
    Loyal - Win, lose or draw!

Weston, Ontario

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alot of the kids at my sons school have a TFC shirt or hat now. Pretty much even with other sports actually.
    Jays seem to have one of the broadest fan base though. Its easy to follow baseball passively (just from stats alone)

Hell, this was a THING!

I dont think its a matter of taking fans away from another sport, its adding TFC to their daily lives.

it definitely gets talked about more now than 5 years ago. The general population at least knows of its existence.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BelfastBoy View Post
    Leafs
    Jays
    Raptors
    TFC/ Argos
    Pretty much, yeah. I'd say the Raptors deserve the attention of the entire town now. The Jays are rebuilding and middle of the road, and TFC are next, given how they fell off last year. The Argos will always be at the bottom of the city's attention.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    The problem is that these people are almost certainly the ones who wouldn’t go, unless it was free, and when they do go (for free), they complain about how bad the level of play is. It’s the same reason MLS is discounted in online soccer communities: “MLS defense,” “MLS keeping,” “retirement home,” “why would Italy even bother calling up a washed up MLS player like Giovinco,” etc. TFC also lost all the goodwill they could have developed with these sorts of fans by being abysmally bad for so long.

You’re unlikely to ever convert die hard Premier League fans who think every other league is filled with farmers and accountants playing as a hobby, the United supporters from childhood or Arsenal fans who started watching during a World Cup in their childhood and picked up a copy of FIFA and they were the first team on the list so they chose them — TFC will always be Timbits soccer to them.

Plenty of Raps, Leafs, and Jays fans at TFC games, or people who do both. Any “sports fan” appreciates the cheaper TFC tickets, atmosphere, and shorter length of the game with few breaks. It’s often ideal for kids too when the games aren’t on school nights or too late. There’s a lot of fans of European teams as well, but these are the ones who do and would gladly go to TFC games when they can. I’ve met some very small town “good Canadian boys” even from an older segment of the populace who, while not football fans and the furthest thing from it, can admire the skill and athleticism of the players and can sit through a game and even enjoy it as long as it’s not a snorefest or time wasting stretcher-o-rama.

Leafs fans who wouldn’t already go to a TFC match don’t even go to Marlies games, so I don’t know how converting that group is even possible. A lot of these “fans” have never been to a Leafs game and may not even live near enough to the city to go to a game on a whim.

Plus, Toronto only shows up for winning teams and TV viewership for MLS is pretty bad.

TFC has done a good job of getting people out to watch, and marketing the team towards young, urban professionals was a good choice — though I personally know numerous people who cancelled their seasons after last year’s performance (though to be fair they only bought in during the Seba era).
    I suppose it just takes time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post
    Pretty much, yeah. I'd say the Raptors deserve the attention of the entire town now. The Jays are rebuilding and middle of the road, and TFC are next, given how they fell off last year. The Argos will always be at the bottom of the city's attention.
    And yet the big story on the sports broadcasts last night was Vladdy joining the big club, not the Raptors. (I agree with you, I'm just pointing out the media slant)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The #1 thing that will sell people on this team in this town is success.

The #2 is a good show that includes goals & the atmosphere down there.

2016 & 2017 put us in the conversation - the disdain for the game is pretty much dying off now.

That we got that large a group on Good Friday on a cold wet night is testament to how far this team has come in the last few years.

With Poz & Jozy & the current commitment of the brain trust for attacking football, we are on the right trajectory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    I suppose it just takes time.
    Right. There’s huge future potential, especially with kids being more malleable in terms of sporting likes/dislikes and many are growing up playing or watching foot now.

With a future World Cup in Canada, the CPL, and MLS teams becoming better in general there’s no reason the sport won’t grow in Canada and attract future generations, which is good for TFC too.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately the attention won't be on the Reds this weekend. The Blue Jays will be front and centre with Vladi arriving a side of the Raps. It is what it is and I don't think anyone should really loose any sleep over it. Just enjoy the Reds and all the pleasure they give us.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots of true words written in this thread.
    The Eurosnobs are a mystery to me. I've brought a couple of guys to a game and they spend the whole game saying how much Liverpool or Barcelona are, and I'm like 'What's your point?' Of course I'd go and watch them if I lived in Liverpool or Barcelona, but we don't. Lots of TFC supporters also passionately support European teams too, which is fine. I think the divide is between those who prefer live football (even if it ain't Barcelona) and those who prefer to watch on TV. I watch all the TFC road games on TV, but soccer on TV ain't great as what is happening off the ball (where is there space and is someone moving in to it) is key and you miss that on TV.
    For me, the biggest weakness of MLS is that people may support the individual clubs, but very few of us follow the league. How many people watch the MLS playoffs when TFC are not there? A (excellent) thread on this site covers other MLS games - there were 3 comments about Wednesday's games...
    Anyway, my neighbour and I have 6 seasons. We invite 4 people every game - and I'm happy to say we've probably created half a dozen real new supporters in the last couple of years. Interesting that their profiles are very varied.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lil'John View Post
    The Eurosnobs are a mystery to me. I've brought a couple of guys to a game and they spend the whole game saying how much Liverpool or Barcelona are, and I'm like 'What's your point?' Of course I'd go and watch them if I lived in Liverpool or Barcelona, but we don't. Lots of TFC supporters also passionately support European teams too, which is fine. I think the divide is between those who prefer live football (even if it ain't Barcelona) and those who prefer to watch on TV. I watch all the TFC road games on TV, but soccer on TV ain't great as what is happening off the ball (where is there space and is someone moving in to it) is key and you miss that on TV.
    For me, the biggest weakness of MLS is that people may support the individual clubs, but very few of us follow the league. How many people watch the MLS playoffs when TFC are not there? A (excellent) thread on this site covers other MLS games - there were 3 comments about Wednesday's games...
    Anyway, my neighbour and I have 6 seasons. We invite 4 people every game - and I'm happy to say we've probably created half a dozen real new supporters in the last couple of years. Interesting that their profiles are very varied.
    I follow quite a few leagues and watch quite a bit of football, but I don’t watch non-TFC MLS games, including the playoffs.

I read the MLS subreddit and will check out highlights if a game was interesting, or watch goals, but MLS matches are typically poorly produced, have terrible commentators, and many of the poorer quality teams with empty stadiums and plastic pitches just aren’t enjoyable to watch.

There are lots of “soccer fans” in Toronto who have seasons or go to matches but fit into the clueless plastic category too. I have friends with seasons who couldn’t tell you more than two or three players’ names and were confused why Seba was no longer here and wondering who Pozuelo was.

It takes all types to fill seats, but if MLSE spends money and has a decent team year after year, it will grow organically. TFC currently does good numbers comparatively speaking within MLS so it’s not a huge issue.

The TV numbers are another story. I don’t have cable, most of my friends don’t have cable either, and even the people I know who are really into TFC and MLS don’t watch MLS on TV unless it’s a TFC away game, and even still they probably don’t.

To be fair, I’ve had 2nd tier Austrian football on the TV in the background but wouldn’t stay up to watch a TFC game at 4am... maybe I’m part of the problem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I follow quite a few leagues and watch quite a bit of football, but I don’t watch non-TFC MLS games, including the playoffs.

I read the MLS subreddit and will check out highlights if a game was interesting, or watch goals, but MLS matches are typically poorly produced, have terrible commentators, and many of the poorer quality teams with empty stadiums and plastic pitches just aren’t enjoyable to watch.

There are lots of “soccer fans” in Toronto who have seasons or go to matches but fit into the clueless plastic category too. I have friends with seasons who couldn’t tell you more than two or three players’ names and were confused why Seba was no longer here and wondering who Pozuelo was.

It takes all types to fill seats, but if MLSE spends money and has a decent team year after year, it will grow organically. TFC currently does good numbers comparatively speaking within MLS so it’s not a huge issue.

The TV numbers are another story. I don’t have cable, most of my friends don’t have cable either, and even the people I know who are really into TFC and MLS don’t watch MLS on TV unless it’s a TFC away game, and even still they probably don’t.

To be fair, I’ve had 2nd tier Austrian football on the TV in the background but wouldn’t stay up to watch a TFC game at 4am... maybe I’m part of the problem
    i've been a TFC season seat holder since day one - in the early days i only watched and cared about TFC, had zero interest in the MLS otherwise.

I have, very slowly, grown to expand my reach to the rest of the league.

I have to say much of that is due to my kids who know and follow everything MLS, as in know all the players on all the teams (seriously, all of them) which is remarkable to me. It reminds me of me when i was very young and followed the Leafs religiously. I knew all the NHL teams and the players - not any more.

anyway i now follow MLS games with interest and watch many to a degree, but i find it really interesting how my kids and their friends know so much more about the other teams and stay up to watch multiple games.

for what that's worth in the conversation....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THIS DRIVEL AGAIN? I've lost count. When this boyscout recruitment does start, try not to sh*t on their team like this when you do.

OP did it ever occur to you the majority of TFC casuals are Leafs fans? And a shitload of lifers are Leafs lifers aswell?

I deleted Sportsnet app and unbookmarked all my hockey sites and message boards until it's safe to go back and I come in here to see this..... idea. Well intentioned, atleast but give me a warning.

BTW We went out of the playoffs in a shameful way? As underdogs? In game 7? In Boston? No. We just got let down, again.
    Last edited by Brooker; 04-26-2019 at 02:05 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    i've been a TFC season seat holder since day one - in the early days i only watched and cared about TFC, had zero interest in the MLS otherwise.

I have to say much of that is due to my kids who know and follow everything MLS, as in know all the players on all the teams (seriously, all of them) which is remarkable to me. It reminds me of me when i was very young and followed the Leafs religiously. I knew all the NHL teams and the players - not any more.

anyway i now follow MLS games with interest and watch many to a degree, but i find it really interesting how my kids and their friends know so much more about the other teams and stay up to watch multiple games.

I collected baseball cards but remember my dad trying to keep me and my brothers in our seats during the Jays back to back WS... I can appreciate it now but we were bored out of our minds at the time. We’d rather have been at home playing a baseball video game. Football is really the ideal sport for kids with shorter attention spans like me.

My kid won’t even watch TFC away matches on TV anymore because of the Seba departure. Also thinks he’s the best player of all time and frequently debates the little plastic Barca kit wearing Messi fans at the playground extolling the virtues of Giovinco as the world’s greatest player of all time. “No way, never heard of him.” Can’t even watch CL matches without hearing “Giovinco would have scored” after a missed free kick or “If they wanted to win they should have bought Giovinco from TFC.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post

I think the issue with fans following the rest of the league(outside of TFC) closely is lack of media coverage. It's tough enough getting TFC news in the media here let alone news about other teams.
    Do TSN do a weekly highlights show of other matches? If they do I've never seen it? And the irony is, my dad, sitting in his armchair in Scotland gets a weekly MLS highlights show on Sky Sports!!
    I find it difficult to learn about other teams players, lack of pre-game coverage doesn't help with this, couldn't we have a 30 min pre-game show like other sports, to talk about the game and the visiting team. instead of the 3 mins we currently get?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    THIS DRIVEL AGAIN? I've lost count. When this boyscout recruitment does start, try not to sh*t on their team like this when you do.

OP did it ever occur to you the majority of TFC casuals are Leafs fans? And a shitload of lifers are Leafs lifers aswell?

I deleted Sportsnet app and unbookmarked all my hockey sites and message boards until it's safe to go back and I come in here to see this..... idea. Well intentioned, atleast but give me a warning.

BTW We went out of the playoffs in a shameful way? As underdogs? In game 7? In Boston? No. We just got let down, again.
    It's unfair, any objective person would say that the Leafs had a pretty exciting season (and I'm not a Leafs fan). I think it's a Toronto thing to kick your teams. TFC has suffered from this too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil'John View Post
    What annoys me are the people who buy scalper seats so that they can take selfies of themselves with the "rowdy" supporters, then spend the rest of the first half ignoring the play. They typically leave at the half.

I collected baseball cards but remember my dad trying to keep me and my brothers in our seats during the Jays back to back WS... I can appreciate it now but we were bored out of our minds at the time. We’d rather have been at home playing a baseball video game. Football is really the ideal sport for kids with shorter attention spans like me.

My kid won’t even watch TFC away matches on TV anymore because of the Seba departure. Also thinks he’s the best player of all time and frequently debates the little plastic Barca kit wearing Messi fans at the playground extolling the virtues of Giovinco as the world’s greatest player of all time. “No way, never heard of him.” Can’t even watch CL matches without hearing “Giovinco would have scored” after a missed free kick or “If they wanted to win they should have bought Giovinco from TFC.”
    It's typical for kids to idolize players. I really looked up to Pele playing for the Cosmos when I was a kid (that dates me). However, every kid needs to learn that it's a team sport, and no player is above the team. Star players will come and go, but the club goes on (maybe didn't apply to most teams from the old NASL, sadly).
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 04-26-2019 at 09:30 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post

Exactly. I'm as big a Leafs fan as you'll find and same with TFC. OP, Do you not think that exists already? OP, do you really think nobody here are massive leafs supporters as well as TFC already? Anyways, yeah i never get the "recruitment" and shitting on other teams. "Shameful way" WTF? it was a 7 game series loss. It sucked but was not shameful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty74 View Post
    I think the issue with fans following the rest of the league(outside of TFC) closely is lack of media coverage. It's tough enough getting TFC news in the media here let alone news about other teams.
    Do TSN do a weekly highlights show of other matches? If they do I've never seen it? And the irony is, my dad, sitting in his armchair in Scotland gets a weekly MLS highlights show on Sky Sports!!
    I find it difficult to learn about other teams players, lack of pre-game coverage doesn't help with this, couldn't we have a 30 min pre-game show like other sports, to talk about the game and the visiting team. instead of the 3 mins we currently get?
    You can actually watch that same highlight show on the MLS youtube page. It comes out 9pm on Mondays. I watch it every week - it's how I keep up with the other games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty74 View Post
    But really in this day and age all you need to do is go on the MLS website and you have all the highlights one needs for the other MLS games of the week not involving TFC .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    But really in this day and age all you need to do is go on the MLS website and you have all the highlights one needs for the other MLS games of the week not involving TFC .
    Yes, you can, but my point was about media coverage and visibility of the league. Kinda weird that you can watch MLS highlights on sports channels in Scotland/Europe but not in the country where the league is based.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Leafs didn't go out of the series in a shameful way. The shame was in the way they finished the season like it didn't matter. But yeah, this place is the minority where there is more footy than hockey in our world. It will take years and years of this disappointment from other sports teams for fans to turn to TFC if they're successful at the time.

Different kinds of support. We'd do best to have open arms to all and show them how we do. With as little condescension as possible.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER