Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leafsman View Post
    The problem is without altidore we have nothing, poz needs someone to finish his passes. If he was playing today he probably would've had a goal or 2. There were a couple points I said if altidore was playing that was in.
    Someone with video savy should put together a clip of the misses in todays game....you would think the ball was dipped in olive oil. Best goal came from the Portland defender. If I was Vanney, I would make the team watch that strike over, and over, for an hour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    LMAO. Hey buddy overreacting eh ? Pozuelo not at the level of Giovinco? He's playing way better than Giovinco did in his first five or six games. Giovinco is struggling in a horrible league at the moment. Auro a bust? He's one of the few guys who can actually pass.

Hamilton belongs on tfc2? He just scored two goals last game you idiot. He's not a starter but he's a solid backup. Boyd sucks I'll give you that.

Osorio is playing as well as you would expect as a winger.

A new ownership? You realize they have spent more money than any other club in mls.
    My sentiments 100% exactly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Someone with video savy should put together a clip of the misses in todays game....you would think the ball was dipped in olive oil. Best goal came from the Portland defender. If I was Vanney, I would make the team watch that strike over, and over, for an hour.

it was a great strike - not sure of the point in watching it again and again, it is what it is - i'd have them watch the lead up to it rather than the strike

Mavinga had a brilliant game and shows why he should be kept long term - we really need a younger Moor to augment, full stop

as well we need more creative, technical attack - winger and a Seba replacement

i'm not as fused if it's this window or the summer - i lean towards get the right individuals, not copping to the pressure, as it were, but still - get it done....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looking at few good comments on mls.com. here are some of the best ones i think
    I had my money on the Timbers just because MLS teams are incapable of putting together a few good showings in a row. Parity is the word this season, unfortunately a downward parity, all teams can be classified as mediocre or sub-mediocre. No wonder Mexican teams mopped the floor with ours. But hey, people are very happy that aren't any top-heavy teams, just a huge gray mass. The quality of this game was very very poor

"I had my money on the Timbers just because MLS teams are incapable of putting together a few good showings in a row. Parity is the word this season, unfortunately a downward parity, all teams can be classified as mediocre or sub-mediocre. No wonder Mexican teams mopped the floor with ours. But hey, people are very happy that aren't any top-heavy teams, just a huge gray mass. The quality of this game was very very poor"

"From 50:00 to 78:00 i had a good nap on the couch lol what a boring bloody match"

"Its going to take me a few days to get all the knots out of my gut and to get my teeth/jaw unclenched after that s**t-show of a game. Awful stuff by TFC! Osario (tipped to go to the Mexican League at one time) has skilled feet but refuses to use them. What position is he supposed to be playing? Joggy Delgado made ONE good pass...down the left to send the winger. But he gives the ball away all over the field - and watch his 'efforts' to close down the first goalscorer. He's timid. WHY does he get to start every game. Imagine what the score would have been without Mavinga?"

in response to Why does Marky get to start every game? because, we don't have anyone better.

I hope this game gets it through in some peoples heads that jhams is not a starter. he is a 70 minute guy, a good sub
    Marky's just bad
    Osorio is fine but he needs better players around him.
    the new goalkeeper way way better at distribution than Bono, see how he punched the ball out on the deep lofting ball, that would have been a goal on Bono

you people that say get rid of jozy or mavinga, what is wrong with you people? seriously

we are really lucky to be at 13 points
    that all being said get some new players and we will be at the top

next weeks game odds are out
    https://www.oddsportal.com/soccer/us...o-fc-AwfxJpCK/

bet the farm on Orlando for the win
    Last edited by stevep; 04-27-2019 at 07:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Osorio was never going to look useful playing as a true winger on the left side tonight. That was my first thought when they flashed the second the formation showed on the screen in the pregame. He needs to be at least a little bit inside or outright central. And he needs to be close enough to his teammates to play 1-2’s and combine passes. Same thing with Pozuelo.

I really want to know what was going thought Vanney’s head tonight. Whatever it was, it certainly seemed more about matching Portland rather than playing our own players in the their best positions.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I really want to know what was going thought Vanney’s head tonight..
    Well afterwards, it was this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Well afterwards, it was this

Could he not have chosen the most eye-bleedingly obnoxious way of posting these in the future? What a headache to read through that on your phone...

Vanney knows what is wrong. Can’t play possession football when your players can’t even make successful passes (or get on the other end of them). Possession with a toothless attack is pointless. Team is slow and disconnected.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time for an Emperor has no clothes moment, if I may.

It would be nice if we could figure out a way to have somebody else other then Bradley start every single god damned play. I know he's a good passer and all but unless we are in transition, he is either insisting on him getting the ball or people are waiting for him to come for it. Not only is it predictable, but its warping the capabilities of the rest of our midfield & its causing one of our better actual overloading type midfielders to be playing nearer our half then their penalty area.

You want to know why every thing is so darn slow? Because people know where the heck the ball is going.

Does anybody else remember that one time today when Bradley actually charged in towards a Portland ball carrier near their penalty area & how it changed the dynamic for a moment? Hey, I get it - he's a DM. And he's not all that fast anymore. But gosh darn it why can't Oso go back there and start at least some of those plays (I now, he's on left wing because we don't have a left winger)? Heck, Pozuelo spent a good chunk of the 2nd half playing onetwo's with Bradley - not a good idea in my mind but he at least recognised there was a need for somebody to make a better pass from the midfield.

(Yes, this is actually more a "Marky Delgado isn't good enough anymore" post)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of the long-time posters acting as constant apologists for management in the last couple of months, actually really concern me. Of course they're mostly quiet so far this evening. I expect some of them to be chiming in after 9am tomorrow. Or perhaps after 9am on Monday.

We support the team. That does not necessarily mean supporting current management. Especially not if they're screwing up and hurting the team.

That quote from Vanney actually kind of pisses me off. He talks alot, he's probably a good teacher; or least a good student of the game. But often not a great coach, especially when things are going against us. Both he and the team really struggle to turn things around, when things are going against us. Vanney doesn't talk at all about what he screwed up. Did he chew them out at half time, and/or motivate them, so they come charging out of the locker room and take control in the 2nd half? Most certainly not. He mentioned things were disconnected and slow for a long time. But he did much too little, much too late against that. How is swapping Akinola for Hamilton, going to make the defense & midfield play quicker and more connected?

As others above mentioned: we needed a 60 minute sub. By then it was absolutely clear that nothing was working. His first sub was massively the wrong sub. Should have added Akinola to Hamilton, not swapped them. Delgado should have been pulled off then instead; and DeLeon dropped back into defensive midfield, to at least help secure the tie; also to free up Bradley more. Akinola has the ability to add some speed and width; alternating with coming inside near Hamilton to provide more targets in attack.

Instead of helping to turn things around, guess what the result of Vanney's first sub in the 68th minute was? Portland got the game-winning goal two minutes later.

I thought Westberg did great today. Came out strongly for the ball a number of times. And some of the best distribution I've seen from any MLS keeper. He was dropping 60-meter passes on a dime, repeatedly. And most of them were really hard line drives, instead of the loopy kicks we usually see, that give the opposing team so much time to react. Westberg also seemed to react quicker to shots than he did in the previous game he played.

OK I'm gonna torture myself now, and watch the "highlights." I have some more thoughts about how management has screwed up, but I'm out of time (and ink) for now... And I agree that too many of our "attacks" (if you can even call them that) start with Bradley, make us too slow and predictable.

Oh and anyone who seriously thinks you can replace Vazquez, Giovinco and Jozy, with just Pozuelo and Jozy in attack, REALLY REALLY has to give their head a shake. We obviously need another attacking threat, be it a top-quality winger or other position.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 04-27-2019 at 09:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    Could he not have chosen the most eye-bleedingly obnoxious way of posting these in the future? What a headache to read through that on your phone...

Vanney knows what is wrong. Can’t play possession football when your players can’t even make successful passes (or get on the other end of them). Possession with a toothless attack is pointless. Team is slow and disconnected.
    Does he know this though? Our style, despite some recent comebacks, strikes me as fortuitous when we have the lead but ineffective when trailing.

Okay, he talks about possession, great. No doubt there were sloppy passes, but where was the threat in the final third? Where was the impetus not just to pass the ball around but to finish with a goal?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post

As others above mentioned: we needed a 60 minute sub. By then it was absolutely clear that nothing was working. His first sub was massively the wrong sub. Should have added Akinola to Hamilton, not swapped them. .
    Hamilton looked gassed to me but would have preferred Ciman in as a RB, Auro move up, De Leon move to the left, Osorio replace Delgado & Delgado out (or DeLeon move to Delgado's position). Would have provided more umph everywhere and a better ball passer out of the back.

BTW, that 2nd goal, if anything, was on Delgado who let Valeri ghost past him and thus isolate Auro out wide. Not sure Akinola for Hamilton is what caused that breakdown.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Hamilton looked gassed to me but would have preferred Ciman in as a RB, Auro move up, De Leon move to the left, Osorio replace Delgado & Delgado out (or DeLeon move to Delgado's position). Would have provided more umph everywhere and a better ball passer out of the back.

BTW, that 2nd goal, if anything, was on Delgado who let Valeri ghost past him and thus isolate Auro out wide. Not sure Akinola for Hamilton is what caused that breakdown.
    Yeah that would have been a good sub strategy too!

The sub he did do, didn't create any positive impetus. That's what I meant. And if Delgado had been off, which is what everybody around me in 112 was hoping for, then somebody else in his place (like DeLeon) perhaps wouldn't have let Valeri ghost past him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that was brutal today...how many times did you see mb with the ball and 9 guys jus standing around,no movement at all.they were due for real stinker like today it been coming.poz has hidden all the warts this club has,they are a 500 club at best with this roster.vanney is trying to play man city futbol with a fulham type roster....no true wingers on the 25 man roster.the only true left winger they have was playing for york 9 today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Does he know this though? Our style, despite some recent comebacks, strikes me as fortuitous when we have the lead but ineffective when trailing.

Okay, he talks about possession, great. No doubt there were sloppy passes, but where was the threat in the final third? Where was the impetus not just to pass the ball around but to finish with a goal?
    I didn’t say he knew how to fix the problem (or would), just that he’s identified it in that interview answer

He did say you need to use possession with the end result of putting the ball in the back of the net, which, well... we saw what happened.

Pozo scores and assists; he can be the MVP this year if the issues get fixed. But the one thing he can’t do is win the game singlehandedly or out of nowhere like Seba because he’s forced to get the ball in the midfield or track back to our own box, or, as noted elsewhere here, back and forth with Bradley.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    I didn’t say he knew how to fix the problem (or would), just that he’s identified it in that interview answer

He did say you need to use possession with the end result of putting the ball in the back of the net, which, well... we saw what happened.

Pozo scores and assists; he can be the MVP this year if the issues get fixed. But the one thing he can’t do is win the game singlehandedly or out of nowhere like Seba because he’s forced to get the ball in the midfield or track back to our own box, or, as noted elsewhere here, back and forth with Bradley.
    Sorry, that wasn’t really directed at you as much as it was quoting for a jump off point and venting my general frustration.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as i was leaving the match today i thought i heard the announcer saying Osorio was 'man of the match' - if so that's shocking - if anyone on TFC it's Pozo or Mavinga - Pozo created so many opportunities with amazingly placed balls while Mavinga was a beast on the backline......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lazy effort out there today. Too often it seemed like a pass surprised some our players. Even some of our “throw ins” the basic of basic were lazy. I saw on more then one occasion a throw in that was difficult for the receiving player to field the ball.
    Mavinga to me was man of the match.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow people are mad
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sadly I think Zavaleta was man of the match. He was fair today but that's still more an indictment on everyone else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it just me or is Delgado is terrible with the ball?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well that was fun. Portland were there for the taking, man.. that was just flat.

I wish they showed more urgency during the last 10 minutes. I'm pretty sure I was screaming louder than Greg. Come on!

Poor Bradley. He didn't know what to do when guys weren't chasing.

We aren't sh*t. They just didn't give a sh*t. We could have easily won. FFS Greg.

after 90 from Michael:

https://youtu.be/2KX7iuxyjHc?t=14

Lol I wish. Roll on Orlando. Get it together, smash and grab 3pts and all is good.
    Last edited by Brooker; 04-28-2019 at 04:33 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Portland were just as poor but kicked at Poz to take out our biggest chance to even or go ahead. Yes the changes made to the squad were not enough or too late.

Mavinga was good in the first half. I still don't rate him as who I want to lead at the back. Especially by example. He looked great today, though. Here's hoping he can be more consistent and get some experienced and fit help beside him consistently soon.

Orlando away will be just as difficult as today was. Orlando are no giants and the Farm Team Pigeons made them look better but damn if that match wasn't in slowmo.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 04-28-2019 at 06:52 AM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are not a good team. We are a team with players capable of great individual performances and when those don't happen we get yesterday or the game against Chicago. Slow, boring, predictable, un imaginative, ineffective possession for the sake of possession with a steaming pile of vanney speak. Not only do we need wingers and a CB we should redo the mid field as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me that game highlighted the lack of options when we need to change things up. I couldn’t see anyone on the bench who could really make an impact. And as Stegosaurus said, we don’t have that player who can take a game by the scruff of the neck and win it on his own anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Teams end up reflecting their coaches. Vanney is analytical and not very emotional. That’s how we played.
    Also, judging from his comments, Vanney saw the same flaws that we saw and needed to spark a different style of play at half time. He didn’t. When it stayed turgid and slow he should have made changes - and as said earlier he didn’t make the right one. Deleon has been one of our most effective players this year, and as I said above, the situation was calling for a double sub. The game was there for the taking if Vanney could have created a sense of urgency through the right substitutes. He needed to send a message that what was happening was not good enough. Perhaps Akinola Chapman Boyd all at once even.

Auro and marky let their men run by them on the goals - where is the consequence? If he pulled Auro and put Deleon at RB when bringing on Akinola it sends a message.

That said, the performance wasn’t nearly as bad as some on here seem to think - more a reflection of where we are at the moment - mediocre without Jozy. Everything was a touch off and we have players playing in less than ideal positions. With the players we have, the midfield needs to be narrower and Auro and Morrow have to be the width. For example, Osorio is at his best when he is in tight passing with Poz or Bradley, opening up the defense.

Hamilton did ok but didn’t have the level of service he might have. From inside the stadium you could see that he was making very good runs off the ball in the first half and often did not get a pass. Including from Poz.

Finally, the refereeing was to our disadvantage in the first half. Lots of niggly uncalled fouls on Poz, two or three rugby tackles that should have been yellows, and the deliberate trip on Hamilton that was a certain yellow and arguably a red for scoring opportunity. But the team couldn’t generate any emotion or energy from that either. Should have been a motivation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ After watching the CPL match yesterday and various leagues over the years I can only come to a conclusion soccer in North America has a cultural problem with officiating. Things that are blindingly obvious to everyone are frequently missed or just improperly excused.

In the CPL game, Borges nearly broke a guy’s leg, straight in front of the ref and the 4th official, and didn’t even get a card. Kyle Bekker flatted a guy picking up a ball for a throw in 3-4 seconds after the pay stopped with a hit that would have earned an NHL player an obvious penalty, don’t think he got a card either. The official was David Gantar, who sucks, but you would think would be able to handle at least a CPL game.

Pozuelo was fouled 4-5 times in the span of 15 minutes. If that isn’t persistent infringement I don’t know what is. What does the number have to get to if 4-5 calls in succession isn’t enough? 10? 20?? Even worse, at a certain point the ref seemed tired of calling the fouls and kept swallowing his whistle.

My only comment for TFC would be, we should have flatted Valeri and Blanco if that’s the way Portland was going to play. It might have forced the officials hand to tighten things up. But instead, we just meekly accepted they were going to foul our best player out of the game. We should have made a huge stink of it. But then again, that appears to have been our M.O. for all of yesterday, put in a weak effort and casually accept defeat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    I actually want to see Boyd today, see if he can connect with Pozuelo. Want Hamilton as well, but we need to see if Boyd has anything.
    Well we saw Boyd...and he still looks utterly useless. Is he a USMNT charity signing...he's scored 7 goals in the last 5 years... 5 of them in a lower division squad. He's not even CPL level. I get that he has had injuries...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    Well we saw Boyd...and he still looks utterly useless. Is he a USMNT charity signing...he's scored 7 goals in the last 5 years... 5 of them in a lower division squad. He's not even CPL level. I get that he has had injuries...
    I agree hes absolutely awful and I saw better strikers in the CPL game yesterday. Hopefully hes on a one year deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought Vanney's tactics were poor. His selection of JH as lone striker was defensive. JH is decent but he cannot do this job alone - he is not a good hold up guy, not fast & turning on defenders is suspect. At home, we should be fielding 2 bona fide strike partners & ley Pozuelo do his job. Vanney harping on about defence & sacrificing offence to make a point did not work. This game shows that we need 2 quality players urgently if we are going o compete

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dow117 View Post
    I thought Vanney's tactics were poor. His selection of JH as lone striker was defensive. JH is decent but he cannot do this job alone - he is not a good hold up guy, not fast & turning on defenders is suspect. At home, we should be fielding 2 bona fide strike partners & ley Pozuelo do his job. Vanney harping on about defence & sacrificing offence to make a point did not work. This game shows that we need 2 quality players urgently if we are going o compete
    So far we have replaced Victor with Poz...which has been a success and an upgrade.

We have replaced Giovinco with Terrence Boyd...

Deleon has replaced Telfer I guess...

No replacements for Aketexe and VanderWiel. We are three TAM players short and the season is 25% over next week..