Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jozy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Jozy

The fuck is going on there. Doesn't bode well but also why re-sign for four years (on either side) if you knew this was an issue. What are possible scenarios to play out? Can't imagine that Manning will be leaving.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he doesn't get hamstring tightness then there is no issue and the training staff is fine. He tweaks it and he's frustrated and has to blame someone. I know nothing of this Italian therapist or whatever he is but it'd be hard to say he's done a bang up job of keeping Jozy healthy for the 3 years he was here. Jozy is Jozy and these things happen but if it's in his head then just hire the guy back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find it hard to believe that the previous therapist is the only guy that is capable of managing his hamstring issue though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t think this is quite what it seems. He has his contract, this isn’t about his TFC situation.

But I immediately thought about Jozy’s USMNT spot when I saw that he pulled up lame.

Jozy has one more World Cup shot. The US has no one else at striker. But spots on national teams can evaporate, and of course he is still wearing Trinidad.

He is a proud, proud guy. He wants that last shot. Jozy needs to be the man at the Gold Cup to make sure they don’t start going another way in qualifying.

He probably knows this means now he won’t be in Gold Cup training, or even there at all. If someone else steps up, that may be it for him.

I think what’s pissing him off is he went along with a new training regime (maybe against his better judgment, this is analogous to what happened with Kawhi in San Antonio btw) and it failed, and he melted down and is lashing out.

I also think that if we think playing night games here in April is stupid and creates injury risk, imagine what the players think privately. Manning and the team are supposed to protect them on something like this, but we don’t see them doing that.

Hard to say who is right or wrong -we still don’t know with Kawhi two years after his version of this happened, but unlike Kawhi, Jozy wears his heart on his sleeve.

This is not obviously about Jozy’s love for the crest, and I hope nobody tries to paint it that way.
    Last edited by ensco; 04-20-2019 at 01:28 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I find it hard to believe that the previous therapist is the only guy that is capable of managing his hamstring issue though.
    I don't know sometimes the right person makes all the difference, Giggs at United had the same issue with hamstrings until he found his personal Yoga instructor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    I don't know sometimes the right person makes all the difference, Giggs at United had the same issue with hamstrings until he found his personal Yoga instructor
    If it means no WC qualifying and GC action for Jozy I'm fine with having him out for May..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question for me is how are his actions dealt with by FO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not much but Jeff Carlisle's story on this included this note:

In a text message sent to ESPN FC's Jeff Carlisle, Manning said of Altidore that "he was frustrated" and added that he would talk privately to the U.S. international striker.
    I would expect this to be addressed in private... hopefully Manning and Altidore can clear the air publicly after it's been resolved.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    If it means no WC qualifying and GC action for Jozy I'm fine with having him out for May..
    I'd ask you to reconsider.

If you have ever had people work for you... you will know that you have to support their extracurricular dreams. Even when they interfere with the work. It's how you get the best from them.

When I see the quality of Jozy's goals, I see someone who could become a legend at a World Cup. I hope he gets that shot.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

If you have ever had people work for you... you will know that you have to support their extracurricular dreams. Even when they interfere with the work. It's how you get the best from them.

When I see the quality of Jozy's goals, I see someone who could become a legend at a World Cup. I hope he gets that shot.

Well said Ensco. Very well said.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It took me a while to find it... this article implied that Jozy and his agent were negotiating with Tanenbaum as well as “people” at TFC (didn’t name Manning). I thought it was a bit odd at the time.

https://torontosun.com/sports/soccer...op-of-his-game

Tanenbaum dealing directly with players created big messes with the Raptors years ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can understand Jozy's frustration to a point. He knows he's injury prone, so naturally, he'll want to have the best possible opportunity at staying healthy. And clearly, Jozy and this therapist were on friendly terms. Bit bizarre to call Manning out for being absent (be that as it may).

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couldn't Jozy hire his own therapist? At 2.2 million US a year, you'd think that there might be a few bucks spare to spend on someone he thinks has made such a big difference.
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Huyton View Post
    Couldn't Jozy hire his own therapist? At 2.2 million US a year, you'd think that there might be a few bucks spare to spend on someone he thinks has made such a big difference.
    I know the answer in the NBA. It got a lot of airtime there because of Kawhi.

In the NBA, you cannot do this. You have to use the team’s medical/training setup. There is a right to a second opinion, but it’s off an approved list of providers.

Masai’s whole pitch to Kawhi is that he is letting Kawhi’s people “run” the rehab and training.
    Last edited by ensco; 04-21-2019 at 09:03 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Spot on. MLSE is a multi-billion dollar entity. You cannot tell me they are not capable of finding the best of the best therapists in the world to protect there major investment, the PLAYERS. You telling me the Leafs and Raptors have therapists that are below average? Come on Jozy. This therapist was brought in to please Gio, not you and the others. Yes he may have helped you but by no means is he the only master of his trade. The therapist HAD TO GO, PERIOD!! The ties were too close and it would have created a TOXIC environment this year. Imagine the thought of clubhouse talk being overheard by this therapist and relayed to Gio?

Jozy, do the right thing and apologize to Manning and your teammates. Look long term and admit that frustration took over after the game and you spoke premature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get it and it's selfish on my part but he's had his shot and his experiences with the US over the years so it's not like this would be his only rodeo. For a guy whos made of glass who just extended his contract and missed most of last year I don't want him tweaking or pulling anything for a "supporter" base that does nothing but abuse him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    I get it and it's selfish on my part but he's had his shot and his experiences with the US over the years so it's not like this would be his only rodeo. For a guy whos made of glass who just extended his contract and missed most of last year I don't want him tweaking or pulling anything for a "supporter" base that does nothing but abuse him.
    This is not “wrong” - I just prefer to side with what the player wants, and think we all should (even if, as you say, those fans are ingrates!) Everybody who has a shot at it wants to be a star in a World Cup.

I bet he stayed in part because he would get the minutes he needs to keep/reclaim that USMNT spot (that would be a major cost of going to, say, Tigres).

I think it's weird that a player of his stature seemingly feels so excluded from decision making around training. I wonder if he was promised influence by Tanenbaum in his contract talks.... but Manning/Curtis aren’t inclined to give this up.

I think the Tanenbaum/Manning relationship bears watching. Manning running to Gareth Wheeler to explain how he had the sole authority to increase the bid for Pozo was out of character for him (and seemed unlikely to be true to me). What was that really about?
    Last edited by ensco; 04-21-2019 at 11:11 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is not “wrong” - I just prefer to side with what the player wants, and think we all should (even if, as you say, those fans are ingrates!) Everybody who has a shot at it wants to be a star in a World Cup.

I bet he stayed in part because he would get the minutes he needs to keep/reclaim that USMNT spot (that would be a major cost of going to, say, Tigres).

I think it's weird that a player of his stature seemingly feels so excluded from decision making around training. I wonder if he was promised influence by Tanenbaum in his contract talks.... but Manning/Curtis aren’t inclined to give this up.

I think the Tanenbaum/Manning relationship bears watching. Manning running to Gareth Wheeler to explain how he had the sole authority to increase the bid for Pozo was out of character for him (and seemed unlikely to be true to me). What was that really about?
    Looks like Giuseppe is back now.

Jozy got what he wanted pretty fast lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like Giuseppe treatments have restarted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zorsofstesab View Post
    Spot on. MLSE is a multi-billion dollar entity. You cannot tell me they are not capable of finding the best of the best therapists in the world to protect there major investment, the PLAYERS. You telling me the Leafs and Raptors have therapists that are below average? Come on Jozy. This therapist was brought in to please Gio, not you and the others. Yes he may have helped you but by no means is he the only master of his trade. The therapist HAD TO GO, PERIOD!! The ties were too close and it would have created a TOXIC environment this year. Imagine the thought of clubhouse talk being overheard by this therapist and relayed to Gio?

Jozy, do the right thing and apologize to Manning and your teammates. Look long term and admit that frustration took over after the game and you spoke premature.
    When you are wrong, you are wrong...

Jozy and Gio are friends, you think they don’t talk about “clubhouse talk” already?

just because a player is transferred doesn’t end friends that were forged in fire and championship wins for the last few years. Try and think of it in a business world, you build a relationship with a co-worker, become friends, they leave for something else, do you stop talking to them?

I feel eel like you have an inner hate for Jozy, and someone speaking their mind, but it’s moot.. The therapist is back and hopefully can manage Jozy’s Hamstring before next weekend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bellzy View Post
    Hooked on those Italian horse placenta drips.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bellzy View Post
    Big if true

source?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy's Instagram. He just posted a photo.

https://twitter.com/joshuakloke/stat...17752549666816
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And now back to your regularly scheduled program.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Props to Bill Manning for working this out amicably. Both sides happy will mean a better team and that's all that matters.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t have an opinion on this until we hear from someone at TFC and we learn how badly Jozy was hurt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    Props to Bill Manning for working this out amicably. Both sides happy will mean a better team and that's all that matters.
    Yes, but Jozy still needs to be fined.

I mean, you just can't do what he did and have no consequences.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Yes, but Jozy still needs to be fined.

I mean, you just can't do what he did and have no consequences.
    Fined? This isn’t high school intramurals, and a pro athletes of Altidore’s stature should be respected.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    If he doesn't get hamstring tightness then there is no issue and the training staff is fine. He tweaks it and he's frustrated and has to blame someone. I know nothing of this Italian therapist or whatever he is but it'd be hard to say he's done a bang up job of keeping Jozy healthy for the 3 years he was here. Jozy is Jozy and these things happen but if it's in his head then just hire the guy back.
    Quote Originally Posted by zorsofstesab View Post

Altidore hasn't had hamstring or other muscular problems since 2016. Latest problems were a torn ligament; and bone fragments that had to be cleaned out via surgery. Not things that training or therapy can do much about (but carefully managing the recovery from surgery is crucial). It seems his training & therapy regime were helping for the things he can control, up to now.

Plus TFC had a huge amount of muscular & other health/fitness issues last year (and other years), amongst players that weren't with this Italian guy. So yes the "multi-million dollar entity" seems to have trouble keeping its players healthy. There were other reasons in 2018, like the short off-season before that, double load of CCL + MLS, etc., but TFC (outside of the Italian guy) certainly wasn't doing a "bang-up" job of keeping its roster healthy, via therapy, training, rotation, having adequate cover for players, etc.

Anyway, the guy's back, he obviously didn't have to go. I'm very thankful to Manning & Altidore for working this out quickly, and I doubt they'll be a fine because the quick resolution tells me they thought that Altidore had a point.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good point here on Twitter, the way this gets resolved in the end...

BigCountryFooty ���� ⚽️ @BigCountryFooty2 hours ago
    Replying to @TSG_Toronto @joshuakloke
    You are right. His penance for this sin will be to score 3 game winning goals in the next 3 games he plays and then 2 game winning assists. Kinda of like rosary beads of footy.
    https://twitter.com/BigCountryFooty/...22218418036736