RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Other MLS Games - April 19-21

This is another week where teams who have looked good against not so good opposition face each other.

Just a reminder - everybody is playing in those Parley Jerseys that are made out of Ocean Plastics. So every game will look the same uniform wise.

Its always a bit weird not being able to differentiate between teams.

Friday

RSL @ Cinci 7:30pm
    Should be an even game What I'm looking at? Signs of Cinci building a home fortress mentality - it hasn't been there yet

Houston @ LAG 11pm Statement game for both teams. Houston is undefeated but apart from a home game vs Montreal, hasn't faced a tough team. LAG lost to Dallas in the toughest game they have faced. What I'm looking at? Can Zlatan force his personality on a better class of opponent.

Saturday

Colorado @ Chicago 1pm Two not good teams with only 1 win between them. This is poster boy for the defacto Div 1 & Div 2 divide in MLS right now. What I'm looking at? Can Colorado's project start to gel a bit & sneak a win at a vulnerable venue.

Montreal @ Phillly 1pm
    Montreal's counter vs Philly's wasteful attack. What I'm looking at? If Philly somehow goes up by 2, does Montreal have the wherewithal to get back in games.

Vancouver @ Orlando 3pm The annual LONGEST ROAD TRIP IN MLS also happens to be a game Vancouver has never lost. What I'm looking at? Can Orlando start well.

FCDallas @ Atlanta 4pm Dallas can be had by a defence that doesn't attempt to press but iF FCD have a lead, not sure Atlanta will get the ball back What I'm looking at? If Atlanta does't score first, will the fans stay interested.

Portland @ Columbus 7:30pm
    Portland's defence vs that attack is a mismatch What I'm looking at? Is there a Portland attack that our porous defence need fear next week?

NYRB @ NER 7:30pm Stinker of the Week NYRB quietly having a "TFC in 2018" kind of season What I'm looking at? The "Is this the end of BWP" watch continues

SKC @ SJE 10pm Mismatch Part I SJE isn't good enough to deal with a well coached team What I'm looking at? SKC is drawing more games then they should - can they be ruthless

Sunday

NYC @ DCU 4pm Mismatch Part II NYC's defence can't deal with interplay in front of them & their attack isn't good enough to make up for it What I'm looking at? This is the 2nd of 3 games the City boss from Manchester is at - an embarrassing loss here will not go over well

Seattle @ LAFC 7pm - GAME OF THE WEEK Top of the table clash Both defences can be had. Battle will be won & lost between the quality of LAFC's FB's versus the very running high FB's of Seattle. Expect Beitashour to be in the thick of things all game What I'm looking at? Is there lingering mental issues with LAFC from the loss in Vancouver
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 04-19-2019 at 09:18 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That’s an outrageous piece of scheduling having Vancouver play a mid week game and then have them fly cross continent for a game on the weekend.

Guess these sort of follies are a league wide issue and not just TFC.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dallas is a good team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montreal got smoked by Philly and Dallas just went 2-0 up on Atlanta late in the game.

It might be cold and drizzly outside, but boy is it warm and toasty in the eastern conference right now :P

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atlanta losing again and basically wasting home games to start the season — and their “awesome” fans booing them off the field —- stay classy Atlanta, clearly you are a fan base prepared to stick it out for the long haul; 6 games into the season and you turn on your team.....still making fun of TFC last year after a run to the CCL Finals and a crippling run of injuries?!, heaven forbid you lost a Martinez for 20 games like we lost Jozy last year (and again for more games after this week), you might as well give up on your team.....yeesh the chaos and the “I’m never going to Mercedes Benz again” talk online is ridiculous (and oddly satisfying)......

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcfans View Post
    Atlanta losing again and basically wasting home games to start the season — and their “awesome” fans booing them off the field —- stay classy Atlanta, clearly you are a fan base prepared to stick it out for the long haul; 6 games into the season and you turn on your team.....still making fun of TFC last year after a run to the CCL Finals and a crippling run of injuries?!, heaven forbid you lost a Martinez for 20 games like we lost Jozy last year (and again for more games after this week), you might as well give up on your team.....yeesh the chaos and the “I’m never going to Mercedes Benz again” talk online is ridiculous (and oddly satisfying)......
    It proves that they are full of bandwagon fans. Real supporters can stick with a crap club for years... there's plenty here who earned their stripes (you included) doing so.

I knew someone who passed away before the new management at TFC, never got to see TFC win anything much, saw terrible games and terrible players and terrible coaches, but he was there game after game faithfully cheering on the team. It felt kind of sad that he never got to see the treble win. He was an example of what true support looks like.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atlanta and RedBulls will figure out how to score again and will be right back in it, their goals against numbers are to good to sit at the bottom of the east for too long.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know about NYRB - Atlanta is still trying hard but NYRB looks listless & like they don't care anymore.

I turned on the last few minutes of the game & couldn't tell who was the team down by 1.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we ever get that left winger and keep our star players healthy we run away with the east.
    But neither of those things are happening

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow what a crazy league. Including San Jose beating Kansas City 4-1, with the 3rd goal coming 9 seconds into the 2nd half, and despite two PKs awarded to Kansas City. Are there signs of life for San Jose under their new coach Almeyda, or were the wins vs. Portland & KC only a blip?

Looking at the other results, and OTD's overview above, maybe we do have to worry about Portland's attack in the next game?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Wow what a crazy league. Including San Jose beating Kansas City 4-1, with the 3rd goal coming 9 seconds into the 2nd half, and despite two PKs awarded to Kansas City. Are there signs of life for San Jose under their new coach Almeyda, or were the wins vs. Portland & KC only a blip?

Looking at the other results, and OTD's overview above, maybe we do have to worry about Portland's attack in the next game?
    Yes - it seems that the form book can be thrown out the window. Portland beating Columbus away...shouldn't happen. Atlanta losing at home again...

LAFC vs Seattle should be interesting this afternoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post

Didn't watch Portland yesterday, but they were absolute piss vs. San Jose. Started feeling bad for Valeri. Not all that worried about next weekend. KC did some rotating, with CCL over I think they'll be just fine. In other words, not buying into San Jose just yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And now NYC beat DC at home. Nuts.

They're only one point up on us now and we have 2 games in hand.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best four teams in the league right now are in the west.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LAFC offence is going to murder the rest of the league. As people say, Vela is doing things only Pozuelo can match, & he doesn't look like he's working hard to do so.

Kaye has had a wonder game tonight. If he can pass like that for the CanMNT, we are in with a shout vs the US.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    The best four teams in the league right now are in the west.
    I'd include Houston & say top 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not having it. Seattle were worn down with injuries after playing us last week...we lost the game ...but won the war. For me...I think it will be a Toronto - LAFC final this year. We are just as good. It’s really too bad that we don’t play them till September.

Where the hell were all these football fans when it was Chivas?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post

Where the hell were all these football fans when it was Chivas?
    Not supporting a team tied to that Chivas. LAFC had 3 years to figure out how to win over a multi-cultural crowd. Helps to have a couple of billionaireMalaysian owners who don't mind spending money.

My question on LAFC remains what I had about them last year - they started their academy from scratch instead of taking the Chivas one that was offered to them for free. Eventually, you have to replace players - well they ain't getting anybody up to them for another 4 so what happens in 2021? As we see in Atlanta & here in Toronto - buying is a crap shoot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Kaye has had a wonder game tonight. If he can pass like that for the CanMNT, we are in with a shout vs the US.
    CMNT is looking pretty solid from the midfield forward for me. If we were just looking at midfielders in a bubble, i’d say you have to field all of Kaye, Piette, and Eustaquio (once healthy). I’ve ignored Hutchinson as it sounds like he wants to retire from NT duty after the gold cup.

Then you look at the forward line and realize you have all of Davies, Hoilett, Cavallini, and David. None of those guys should really be off the field at this point. And all this ignores any of the next 4-5 guys starting to play better and potentially pushing for spots.

Heache selections for these spots are legit (until you look at the defence)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    My question on LAFC remains what I had about them last year - they started their academy from scratch instead of taking the Chivas one that was offered to them for free. Eventually, you have to replace players - well they ain't getting anybody up to them for another 4 so what happens in 2021? As we see in Atlanta & here in Toronto - buying is a crap shoot.
    Youth development in this league is a crap shoot. They could easily find some good recruits at later ages and start seeing some of them on the field in 2-3 years, if this is really where things are going. Heck, they took Kaye out of the USL for a song.

There’s 2-3 teams in this league that are legit talent developers, the rest are simply taking a punt.