Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bono

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bono

Am I losing my mind? Getting into an argument on twitter (first mistake) with some dude that thinks Bono should be traded/dropped. He doesn't rate him, doesn't believe he's a decent keeper, sites the last two games as reasons why. I on the other hand believe he's the best keeper we have ever had, used to think that about Irwin but was convinced by Bono this season. Am I mental?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I've had that same discussion. Every possible opinion that can exist is out there on twitter somewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who ever that is, the person might just be trolling. Why would we ever drop a promising young GK. Ya, he makes mistakes here and there, all young players do, but at the end of the day he's serviceable and is clutch as well. He took the opportunity to get the #1 spot, and he got it. He'll be our GK for a while. Also, Irwin might be a major reason why he's playing so well, having 2 serviceable GK should always be the way for all teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He saved us in the last game.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bono has been off a bit in a few games. He made some amazing saves vs. Montreal this past weekend -- but some of those saves were necessitated by his own mistakes just before (poor/dangerous distribution; bobbling saveable shots). HOWEVER Bono has seemed a bit off usually when most of the team seems a bit discombobulated, sometimes even including Drew Moor. Therefore I wouldn't hold it against a young promising keeper. Seems like it's more of an issue of team mentality and strategy, that they all have to figure out together.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    He saved us in the last game.
    Was my MoM last game

Thanks gents, wasn't sure if dude was seeing something I didn't

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I have to agree, he did cause some of the problems with his distribution. I was giving him a bit of a pass because the wind was effecting everything. Although he should have adjusted.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I have to agree, he did cause some of the problems with his distribution. I was giving him a bit of a pass because the wind was effecting everything. Although he should have adjusted.
    I agree! And some of our seasoned veterans were repeating similar mistakes: e.g. soft passes in the wind, close to Montreal players who were intent on pressuring and intercepting. A number of our guys were having trouble adjusting, which is why I was thinking it was a team strategy & mentality thing. (Although I felt there were also some really great TFC passing sequences on Sunday, despite the conditions, even if they didn't end in goals. What a change from a few years ago, when TFC couldn't string 3 passes together on a perfect sunny day with no wind!)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Id rather have Frei.

But Bono has been very good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me it's Frei, Bono, Irwin as our top 3 ever. I feel bad for Irwin in the sense that he'd be starting on many other teams but Bono has been incredible for most of the season. I hope we can restructure Irwin's contract and keep him around for less money

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BenRhodes23 View Post
    For me it's Frei, Bono, Irwin as our top 3 ever. I feel bad for Irwin in the sense that he'd be starting on many other teams but Bono has been incredible for most of the season. I hope we can restructure Irwin's contract and keep him around for less money
    I likely see Irwin gone to LAFC in an expansion draft

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BenRhodes23 View Post
    For me it's Frei, Bono, Irwin as our top 3 ever.
    Um, I think I'd rate Julio Cesar above all of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bono's distribution has been more than poor all season - wind be damned....

he has lots of potential, i agree - he has a promising future...

but he was certainly no MOTM last game

he - granted, and very skillfully - made incredible saves of his own created problems...

but

i'd prefer to see more of Irwin down the stretch and Hagglund for Moor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's good but he's no Julio Cesar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    In his prime, Cesar was obviously a better keeper but my list is based on their time in Toronto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bono has the ability to become an elite level keeper. He has his flaws and areas that he needs improving but lets keep in mind he is only 23. He still has a lot of maturing to do in his position but I believe that given the time he will hit the elite level in the league.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bono is a better distributor then Bendik.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Except for that game in the World Cup against Germany, lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are serious people out there who think Bendik belongs in this season's MLS Best XI
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He definitely hasn't been the same since Zooropa, but I don't think trading him will do much.......

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    He definitely hasn't been the same since Zooropa, but I don't think trading him will do much.......
    Wrong Bono. It's Sonny and Cher.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Am I losing my mind? Getting into an argument on twitter (first mistake) with some dude that thinks Bono should be traded/dropped. He doesn't rate him, doesn't believe he's a decent keeper, sites the last two games as reasons why. I on the other hand believe he's the best keeper we have ever had, used to think that about Irwin but was convinced by Bono this season. Am I mental?
    Was it that sketchy redmapleleafsfc fella?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soccer Mum View Post
    I was going to ask the same thing. That guy has some serious mental issues (and I mean that in a medical sense, not to be mean).

I'm also pretty certain he is an argos troll which would explain the intent but the manner of interaction is just insane. blocked him as no one has time for that. Twitter is a strange enough world as it is.

he's had multiple ID's FC_redmapleleaf, RedmapleleafFC, RedMapleleaf_fc..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redpunkfiddle View Post
    Wrong Bono. It's Sonny and Cher.
    ah right!....my bad......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    ah right!....my bad......
    LOL, Bono was born a year after Zooropa came out so ...damn i feel old.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Bono has been off a bit in a few games. He made some amazing saves vs. Montreal this past weekend -- but some of those saves were necessitated by his own mistakes just before (poor/dangerous distribution; bobbling saveable shots). HOWEVER Bono has seemed a bit off usually when most of the team seems a bit discombobulated, sometimes even including Drew Moor. Therefore I wouldn't hold it against a young promising keeper. Seems like it's more of an issue of team mentality and strategy, that they all have to figure out together.
    He is a young keeper and I was worried this would happen after that 5-3 loss to Montreal. His confidence is a little shaky at the moment. You can see it especially when he has the ball at his feet. I think shut out last week hopefully gets him back to where he was most of the season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soccer Mum View Post
    HAHAHAHAHHA
    Yes. Had to just end it after he credited the final to Irwin last year and Jozy/Seba/Bradley this year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Except for that game in the World Cup against Germany, lol
    Not even Neuer could escape from that mess of a game if he was on the other side.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was re-reading this thread. Bono seemed solid till near the end of last year, then his confidence seemed shaky.

I believe the same thing is continuing this year, Bono's real problem is not as much technical ability (although he has always been a better shot stopper than distributor of the ball) as it is something to do with his mentality.

Vanney tends to not pull players too quickly who are having momentary mentality problems but rather give them an opportunity to push through their issues. However, we can see that Bono's been in a funk for a while.

I think it's time for Vanney to give Westberg a run to see what he can do for the team.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I was re-reading this thread. Bono seemed solid till near the end of last year, then his confidence seemed shaky.

I believe the same thing is continuing this year, Bono's real problem is not as much technical ability (although he has always been a better shot stopper than distributor of the ball) as it is something to do with his mentality.

Vanney tends to not pull players too quickly who are having momentary mentality problems but rather give them an opportunity to push through their issues. However, we can see that Bono's been in a funk for a while.

I think it's time for Vanney to give Westberg a run to see what he can do for the team.
    I don't think we should be talking about about someones mental health unless they bring it up. Only Greg and Alex know exactly what's going on and its Greg's choice to do what he wants. Maybe he is sensitive to Alex's plight and does not want to send him into an even more darker place by sitting him. Its up to them to figure out what's going on. Hopefully they do.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!