Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Match Day 6- Minnesota @ TFC Friday April 19 8pm- Given You More

Ready or not here we come
    Gettin' down on the one which we believe in....

Givin' you more of what you're
    Funkin' for

Have at It People

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tough test against a team that purifies themselves in the waters of Lake Minnetonka.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3-2 tfc. 3-1 if moor is back on the pitch. Hopefully Minnesota comes to play and doesn't just park the bus in the backfield.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to clarify something I said in the Seattle match thread, and I'm doing it here because it should pertain to this game too.

I said Poz looked disinterested, because he really wasn't tracking back much to try to get passes from the midfield, but then I realized it probably had more to do with what (as someone pointed out in the thread) Steven Caldwell had said about Bradley's positioning. Basically, whenever Bradley plays way the back, as basically a third CB, or else just in front of the back line, he's so far back that Poz can't be the first option. They're just too far apart on the field. So it always had to try to go through Oso or Deleon or Morrow first, and while that sometimes works, if they passes get stopped, Poz ends up just hanging around up high with no service, or else he's got to come way back to try to collect the pass, and that's not ideal.

This is exactly what happened in the 2nd half when TFC when to 4 in the back. Bradley played super deep, and, aside from the pass to Jozy for the 2nd goal, Poz barely even touched the ball. So they've got to realize they can't play Bradley like that and figure something else out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time to set the pvr.
    A match at BMO on Good Friday doesn't work for us. . . .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    3-2 tfc. 3-1 if moor is back on the pitch. Hopefully Minnesota comes to play and doesn't just park the bus in the backfield.
    this

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JayMolly View Post
    Time to set the pvr.
    A match at BMO on Good Friday doesn't work for us. . . .
    Same here - evening makes it worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Basically, whenever Bradley plays way the back, as basically a third CB, or else just in front of the back line, he's so far back that Poz can't be the first option. They're just too far apart on the field. So it always had to try to go through Oso or Deleon or Morrow first, and while that sometimes works, if they passes get stopped, Poz ends up just hanging around up high with no service, or else he's got to come way back to try to collect the pass, and that's not ideal.
    Yeah I had this problem with the 2 up top in previous years when VV was pressed into the 2.

I'd rather put Osorio or the like in that striker role and keep the maestro sitting behind the striker(s). For the Seattle game I'd have just swapped Poz and Oso.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Minnesota is similar in ways to us in that so far they've been trying to outscore their problems, but they haven't been as dangerous going forward and they've been even leakier at the back.

If Moor starts we should win by multiple goals. If he doesn't start things could get hairy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like Auro is available:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was a genius decision to play this at 8pm. Head to head with the Raps playoff game. Good Friday. Passover. Forecast 7 degrees and rain at kickoff. That's for Toronto, it'll be colder at the lakeshore.

It'll be high of 12, chance of showers, Saturday afternoon, and high of 16, mostly sunny, Sunday afternoon. No Leafs or Raptors conflicts either afternoon.

This kind of thing is why I dropped my season's tickets.

I get that Section 112 may not care (unless they need to sell!) but boy, they are giving the finger to an awful lot of people with these discretionary early season night games.

This is a good game, an interesting game, that has been killed off by this decision. Odds of seeing decent football severely diminished if temp is low single digits. Plus the injury risk...
    Last edited by ensco; 04-16-2019 at 07:05 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Good Friday timing kills my ability to go too like some others. Too bad. Mix that in with the other factors like Ensco said and you have a good recipe for some lower attendance numbers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    It was a genius decision to play this at 8pm. Head to head with the Raps playoff game. Good Friday. Passover. Forecast 7 degrees and rain at kickoff. That's for Toronto, it'll be colder at the lakeshore.

It'll be high of 12, chance of showers, Saturday afternoon, and high of 16, mostly sunny, Sunday afternoon. No Leafs or Raptors conflicts either afternoon.

This kind of thing is why I dropped my season's tickets.

I get that Section 112 may not care (unless they need to sell!) but boy, they are giving the finger to an awful lot of people with these discretionary early season night games.

This is a good game, an interesting game, that has been killed off by this decision. Odds of seeing decent football severely diminished if temp is low single digits. Plus the injury risk...
    I am with you Ensco. They are making all the decisions now for TV, not for the in stadium experience. This risks what makes TFC different and magical in the first place. All games this time of the year should be in the afternoon. Even VAR is really there for TV viewers - the delay inhibits the excitement in the stadium - lots of other things too. Quite worrying because what is so great about TFC is that the fans in the stadium make the spectacle. If we are going to simply become props for TV it risks killing my interest, that is for certain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    I am with you Ensco. They are making all the decisions now for TV, not for the in stadium experience. This risks what makes TFC different and magical in the first place. All games this time of the year should be in the afternoon. Even VAR is really there for TV viewers - the delay inhibits the excitement in the stadium - lots of other things too. Quite worrying because what is so great about TFC is that the fans in the stadium make the spectacle. If we are going to simply become props for TV it risks killing my interest, that is for certain.
    Don't get the TV dictating this all the time. Viewership is low at best and Good Friday night is not going to help this. Just a poor decision all around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the very least they should move this game to Friday afternoon, no idea why they would not be a Saturday afternoon game. Added is Leafs and Raptors will be playing playoff games, many people will make the decision for different reasons that they just aren't attending this match. That really is just a big eff you from the team.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JT Red127 View Post
    At the very least they should move this game to Friday afternoon, no idea why they would not be a Saturday afternoon game. Added is Leafs and Raptors will be playing playoff games, many people will make the decision for different reasons that they just aren't attending this match. That really is just a big eff you from the team.
    They are hedging their bets on a long weekend.
    Knowing that it is Easter weekend TFC know that their best bet for a good crowd would be the Friday night.

- Friday afternoon -- people still travelling or going to service/mass
    - Friday night (BEST BET for a Good Crowd)-- most services are done (I know some are still at night), plus when the MLS schedule was set, the NHL/NBA playoffs weren't set in stone yet. Plus it is still a Friday night out.
    - Saturday (any time) -- people running errands for Easter/Travelling for Easter
    - Sunday -- IT IS EASTER, forget about it
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not really sure how plotting the schedule out months ago could have predicted:

A) The Weather
    B) The Raps/Leafs Playoff Schedule

You also just can't move games because you feel like it. TV Broadcasters and Advertisers might have an issue with it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    I'm not really sure how plotting the schedule out months ago could have predicted:

A) The Weather
    B) The Raps/Leafs Playoff Schedule

You also just can't move games because you feel like it. TV Broadcasters and Advertisers might have an issue with it.
    You actually could have predicted that the weather would be bad, ie too cold. It generally is at night until the end of April. Which is the first and by far the most important point.

The rest is just icing on the stupidity cake.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TSN likes the night time atmosphere at BMO - I usually prefer it to afternoons, to be honest.

Just not on a holiday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cas87 View Post
    They are hedging their bets on a long weekend.
    Knowing that it is Easter weekend TFC know that their best bet for a good crowd would be the Friday night.

- Friday afternoon -- people still travelling or going to service/mass
    - Friday night (BEST BET for a Good Crowd)-- most services are done (I know some are still at night), plus when the MLS schedule was set, the NHL/NBA playoffs weren't set in stone yet. Plus it is still a Friday night out.
    - Saturday (any time) -- people running errands for Easter/Travelling for Easter
    - Sunday -- IT IS EASTER, forget about it
    I'd say no question that Saturday afternoon is best bet for a larger crowd, especially at this time of year.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JT Red127 View Post
    I'd say no question that Saturday afternoon is best bet for a larger crowd, especially at this time of year.
    If it wasn't a Saturday between 2 holidays where Stores are closed and many people travel for as well.
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cas87 View Post
    If it wasn't a Saturday between 2 holidays where Stores are closed and many people travel for as well.
    You think this is why we should endanger our players, pretty much guarantee that the caliber of play will be crap, and force season ticket holders to be miserable?

I think it is not.
    Last edited by ensco; 04-16-2019 at 11:11 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    You actually could have predicted that the weather would be bad, ie too cold. It generally is at night until the end of April. Which is the first and by far the most important point.

The rest is just icing on the stupidity cake.
    Exactly. All of these early games should be afternoon. We will be lucky if no-one gets hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    TSN likes the night time atmosphere at BMO - I usually prefer it to afternoons, to be honest.

Just not on a holiday.
    In march or april....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The funny thing is now TSN will get almost no viewers by having it go up against Leafs and Raps but not like they could predict that although youd know the NHL and NBA playoffs are in full swing. All March and April games should be during the day on a Saturday or Sunday.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As others have stated - my bet when the schedule came out is that this would be the lowest attended game of the year in terms of actual people in the seats (even before factoring in the weather)....while you can't predict exactly when the Leafs/Raptors will play, it's fairly obvious that you have a very good chance of avoiding both with an early afternoon Saturday start (1:00PM?) ---the Leafs for sure are not playing early on a Saturday afternoon and a 1:00PM start time probably avoids almost all of the NBA time-slots for a potential Raptors conflict - plus as most have said, Good Friday, Passover on the first few nights is a bigger thing then in the afternoon on Saturday etc. makes this a scheduling disaster waiting to happen -- as for shopping and getting stuff done on the long weekend - if a game ended on Saturday at 3:00 pm it would still give most people time to get their affairs in order before Easter Sunday I would imagine too.....frankly it was a game I sold as soon as I could because I knew it was a problem even before the Leafs/Raptors thing was factored in.....let's be honest if the Raptors have Game 7 on Saturday the 27th there is a good chance that it would not be in the 3:00pm time slot which will help --- frankly I thought scheduling the Inaugural CanPl match at a conflicting time was also asinine in terms of creating a conflict with TFC fans, but apparently there are people who think it's more important to have that game on a Saturday rather than on Sunday when they could have had the entire southern Ontario market to themselves that day.....

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm all for afternoon matches. Lights are for midweek and Champions League.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm for afternoons spring and fall, evenings in July and August, However MLSE is owned by two media companies, and it's all about TV content these days. Friday night is great viewing time.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

Just not on a holiday.
    For me I'll always prefer night games. It looks and feels better. The crowd is louder and more into the game. Just not on a holiday like you said

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    For me I'll always prefer night games. It looks and feels better. The crowd is louder and more into the game. Just not on a holiday like you said
    Really interesting. I just assumed that most people were like me, loved the Saturday at 3 pm kick off - you could still have a beer after and get home at a reasonable time. The odd night game is nice for a change, but only in the heat. Best for the players too - nights in the winter / spring risk injury and hurt the soccer.

Interesting that some are like you, all nights, all the time.