Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    14,505
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Other MLS Games This Weekend - April 12-14

    Friday


    Vancouver @ Chicago 8:30pm - The Caps are just bad What I'm looking at in this game? - Can the Cap generate chances against a defence that will not bunker in this game


    Saturday


    Columbus @ Montral1pm- Apart from that one result, the away game start of season swing for the Impact has been quite successful What I'm looking at this game? - Will Montreal play out of their shell at home, without Piatti

    San Jose @ Houston 3pm - San Jose actually won a game? Unheard of! ABSURD! Well, not really - it was the currently abysmal Portland, at home. What I'm looking at this game? If Houston is going to be a top team, they have to be lethal against the bad teams

    NYC @ Minnesotta5pm - Loons being favourites tell you all you need to know about the NYC season. What I'm looking at this game? Orange ball for a brand new stadium but more interested how the Loons do before we meet them on Good Friday

    Atlanta @ NER 7:30 pm - NER away is never easy but Atlanta's midfield woes are tailor made for Friedal to beat. What I'm looking at this game? Is there somebody in Atlanta who is going to step up & take that team on their back?

    Portland @ FC Dallas 8pm - Portland has been woeful. Dallas is just a better team. What I'm looking at this game? So, can Savarese coach through adversity?

    Orlando @ RSL 9pm- Start watching around 10:15 - that's when Orlando starts to play What I'm looking at this game? Can RSL keep their red card streak going?

    DCU @ Colorado 9pm - Rooney travelling but unlikely to play. Colorado is just bad What I'm looking at this game? Can DCU rebound at what is a winnable out of conference away game

    Philly @ LAG 10:30pm - 2 streaky teams What I'm looking at this game? Will Zlatan shred that young Philly defence?

    Cinci @ LAFC
    10:30pm - This could get ugly What I'm looking at this game? Can Cinci bunker for 90 minutes?


    Sunday


    NYRB @ SKC 7pm- Sooo much post CCL blues What I'm looking at this game? Are NYRB's woes for real?

  2. #2
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    14,505
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This game tonight is dire.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Belleville
    Posts
    967
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    This game tonight is dire.
    Totally agree. Yeah it’s windy but some of the soccer is terrible

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,226
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    VAR is going to destroy football. That was absurd. The play went on for ages. What was Henry supposed to do, have his arm amputated? Hardly correct, let alone clear and obvious.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    10,957
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    That was an outrageously bad VAR decision just made to award Chicago a penalty.

    If the officials in this league can’t even handle video review, what hope is there?

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    10,957
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    VAR is going to destroy football. That was absurd. The play went on for ages. What was Henry supposed to do, have his arm amputated? Hardly correct, let alone clear and obvious.
    I’m not even sure it hit his arm. Looked more like chest from every angle I saw

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    my predictions, with some surprises:


    1. HOUSTON 1 V 2 SAN JOSE
    2. SEATTLE 1 V 2 TORONTO
    3. MINNESOTA 2 V 0 NYC
    4. NEW ENGLAND 1V 2 ATL
    5. DALLAS 1 V 0 PORTLAND
    6. COLORADO 1V 2 DC
    7. RSL 1 V 1 ORLANDO
    8. LAFC 5 V CINCINNATI (could be brutal)
    9. LA GALAXY 2 V 1 PHILLY
    10. KANSAS 1 V 2 RED BULLS
    Last edited by Grandia; 04-13-2019 at 04:44 AM.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    4,409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    That was an outrageously bad VAR decision just made to award Chicago a penalty.

    If the officials in this league can’t even handle video review, what hope is there?
    I have to disagree. Remember, intent doesn't matter in the rule – if your arm is out away from your body in a way that 'makes you bigger,' and it hits your arm interfering in the play, it's a penalty. That's exactly what happened. I'm actually surprised the ref didn't call it right away; the first time I saw it I thought it was handball. I think VAR got it right.

    The only stupid decision was Doniel's to jump in front of the ball with his arms flailing like that. It was too reckless. He should have taken up a position behind the attacker or just moved out of the way so his keeper could see the shot. But why try to jump in front of a guy as he's attempting a bicycle kick? As much as we've seen Ciman and Mavinga make some questionable plays, Henry probably takes the cake for sheer boneheadedness. Remember when he headed into his own net for us last year? He's so prone to stuff like this because he's so uncomposed.
    Last edited by James17930; 04-13-2019 at 05:25 AM.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    196
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hard to blame Henry, he learned from our old flailing armed captain (Caldwell) 🤣🤣🤣

  10. #10
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Centre of My Bloody Universe.
    Posts
    18,908
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    I have to disagree. Remember, intent doesn't matter in the rule – if your arm is out away from your body in a way that 'makes you bigger,' and it hits your arm interfering in the play, it's a penalty. That's exactly what happened. I'm actually surprised the ref didn't call it right away; the first time I saw it I thought it was handball. I think VAR got it right.

    The only stupid decision was Doniel's to jump in front of the ball with his arms flailing like that. It was too reckless. He should have taken up a position behind the attacker or just moved out of the way so his keeper could see the shot. But why try to jump in front of a guy as he's attempting a bicycle kick? As much as we've seen Ciman and Mavinga make some questionable plays, Henry probably takes the cake for sheer boneheadedness. Remember when he headed into his own net for us last year? He's so prone to stuff like this because he's so uncomposed.
    Agreed. I can understand him wanting to be careful when pushing past a player going to ground but it made him way too big.

    Cool bit about Tiebert wearing Schweinys number.
    Nations League at BMO! Canada vs Cuba Sept 7th! Canada vs USA Oct 15th!
    Get tix in 112
    HERE

    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,226
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    I have to disagree. Remember, intent doesn't matter in the rule – if your arm is out away from your body in a way that 'makes you bigger,' and it hits your arm interfering in the play, it's a penalty. That's exactly what happened. I'm actually surprised the ref didn't call it right away; the first time I saw it I thought it was handball. I think VAR got it right.

    The only stupid decision was Doniel's to jump in front of the ball with his arms flailing like that. It was too reckless. He should have taken up a position behind the attacker or just moved out of the way so his keeper could see the shot. But why try to jump in front of a guy as he's attempting a bicycle kick? As much as we've seen Ciman and Mavinga make some questionable plays, Henry probably takes the cake for sheer boneheadedness. Remember when he headed into his own net for us last year? He's so prone to stuff like this because he's so uncomposed.
    The rule is “deliberate handball”. A guy kicking it into you for a foot away isn’t deliberate. Have to completely disagree. Plus it took several minutes of play before VAR was used. The system is destroying the feeling and spontaneity of the game. And the fact that doesn’t get it right makes it even worse
    Last edited by MightyDM; 04-13-2019 at 08:39 AM.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    10,957
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    I have to disagree. Remember, intent doesn't matter in the rule – if your arm is out away from your body in a way that 'makes you bigger,' and it hits your arm interfering in the play, it's a penalty. That's exactly what happened. I'm actually surprised the ref didn't call it right away; the first time I saw it I thought it was handball. I think VAR got it right.

    The only stupid decision was Doniel's to jump in front of the ball with his arms flailing like that. It was too reckless. He should have taken up a position behind the attacker or just moved out of the way so his keeper could see the shot. But why try to jump in front of a guy as he's attempting a bicycle kick? As much as we've seen Ciman and Mavinga make some questionable plays, Henry probably takes the cake for sheer boneheadedness. Remember when he headed into his own net for us last year? He's so prone to stuff like this because he's so uncomposed.
    My assertion is there was absolutely no definitive view of that play. You had obstructed views with people in between or the view from the left side when the ball hit his right. There was no straight on view of the play that showed were the ball made contact. How that was "clear and obvious" enough to award a penalty i'll never know. Literally, from where the official was standing on the field, he had the best view of that play but he was overruled by someone in a box.

    Agreed its a dumb play to jump in flapping your arms. For a guy who was in a supposedly professional youth setup since 16 and started playing full pro at 18 he lacks a lot of polish and dare i say it, was clearly poorly coached. Too bad because otherwise he's been pretty good as a no-nonsense CB so far this year.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 04-13-2019 at 09:22 AM.

  13. #13
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northwest Territories (Section 226)
    Posts
    6,605
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    My assertion is there was absolutely no definitive view of that play. You had obstructed views with people in between or the view from the left side when the ball hit his right. There was no straight on view of the play that showed were the ball made contact. How that was "clear and obvious" enough to award a penalty i'll never know. Literally, from where the official was standing on the field, he had the best view of that play but he was overruled by someone in a box.

    Agreed its a dumb play to jump in flapping your arms. For a guy who was in a supposedly professional youth setup since 16 and started playing full pro at 18 he lacks a lot of polish and dare i say it, was clearly poorly coached. Too bad because otherwise he's been pretty good as a no-nonsense CB so far this year.
    Is it possible that VAR has other camera angles that the broadcasters didn't show? At least they'll have much higher quality / higher resolution than we do when we're checking & re-checking highlights off the web.

    For sure you hear many different theories about details of the handball rule, from supposed "experts" around the world. For example, hand/arm away from the body, and/or "unnatural position" may often be called handball (or at least interpreted that way by "experts"), even if the ball came from so close that you can't say the defender "deliberately" / consciously put his arm in the way of the ball.

    It's shocked me for years that there is still so much "grey area" about something that's at least seemingly simple.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    903
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The pitch at Saputo today not very green yet it has been a brutal winter in Montreal, Saputo has no underground heating pipes. However, still better than playing on that artificial crap TFC has to play on today in Seattle.

  15. #15
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    14,505
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Entertaining game the Loons vs NYC - loud stadium, nice atmosphere. Pitch cutting up a bit but given their weather this week, understandable.

    The Loons are not that good - we should beat them next week IF our defence can hold Quintero.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    10,957
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Kaye scores for LAFC and continues a good run of form. Missed an early chance but made up for it.

    Too bad he’s not doing this for TFC. The ability to provide a little extra physicality and play box-to-box would be welcome on this team right now.

  17. #17
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Centre of My Bloody Universe.
    Posts
    18,908
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    The pitch at Saputo today not very green yet it has been a brutal winter in Montreal, Saputo has no underground heating pipes. However, still better than playing on that artificial crap TFC has to play on today in Seattle.
    That pitch looked like a dirt lot. Still not an excuse for some terrible football being played on it.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 04-14-2019 at 01:14 PM.
    Nations League at BMO! Canada vs Cuba Sept 7th! Canada vs USA Oct 15th!
    Get tix in 112
    HERE

    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

  18. #18
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Centre of My Bloody Universe.
    Posts
    18,908
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Houston had some incredible shots yesterday. I know its SJ they were playing but those shots could've been vs anyone. Good result for them and it could've been more.

    Atlanta get a little mojo back from facing NE but what a terrible start. Those misses...

    Dallas keep rising Portland still struggling.

    Orlando def gets a boost from Nani but the sub came just too late.

    DC not looking balanced. Incredible scoring potential but some lazy defending by them and Colorado-so lazy
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 04-14-2019 at 03:32 PM.
    Nations League at BMO! Canada vs Cuba Sept 7th! Canada vs USA Oct 15th!
    Get tix in 112
    HERE

    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

  19. #19
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Centre of My Bloody Universe.
    Posts
    18,908
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Entertaining game the Loons vs NYC - loud stadium, nice atmosphere. Pitch cutting up a bit but given their weather this week, understandable.

    The Loons are not that good - we should beat them next week IF our defence can hold Quintero.
    Entertaining highlights and lowlights. NYC farm team were equal parts shocking and talented. Agree that the Loons are a winnable match. Should put as many past them as the farm team did.
    Nations League at BMO! Canada vs Cuba Sept 7th! Canada vs USA Oct 15th!
    Get tix in 112
    HERE

    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

  20. #20
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Centre of My Bloody Universe.
    Posts
    18,908
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Kaye scores for LAFC and continues a good run of form. Missed an early chance but made up for it.

    Too bad he’s not doing this for TFC. The ability to provide a little extra physicality and play box-to-box would be welcome on this team right now.
    Gotta hope he comes home some day but I look forward to see him in the Gold Cup.
    Nations League at BMO! Canada vs Cuba Sept 7th! Canada vs USA Oct 15th!
    Get tix in 112
    HERE

    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

  21. #21
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    5,397
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Wow, that was a ugly scene in KC. RBNY player Kaku got frustrated and drilled a ball pointblank into a fan's face. That led to a bit of a scrum between both teams. Kaku got a RC, he's gonna get a big fine and add't suspension.
    No one likes us, we don't care.
    You saw me standing alone, without a dream in my heart, without a love of my own.
    Louis Van Gaal, philosopher. "What is this world twisted?"
    Need more nonsense in your life? Follow me on the twitter @MrTuktoyaktuk

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •